Pouliot Watch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Pouliot Watch

In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch:
    In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch : Well he's got a higher PPG than Pouliot so far this season and his overall career numbers are slightly higher than what Pouliot has brought so far.
    Posted by dezaruchi

let's look at the other end of the ice... i think caron is better defensively, and is much less of a liability on the ice. benoit takes himself out of plays way too often, because he can't manage to stay upright. not to mention he takes  penalties. i think poulliot bought himself a bit of a reprieve over the last 2 or 3 games... he was on his way out, until he scored the OT winner. i think caron brings just as much to the table, and is less of a liability. kelly and peverly save poulliots bacon an awful lot during the course of a game. it's not that caron IS HANDS DOWN BETTER, it's just that poulliot is SOOOO unsteady out there. all that being said, poulliot played his best game as a bruin on sat. (a lot of that was due to his linemates- it would look just the same if caron was playing, they would carry his play also)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch : Don't think I'm trying to defend Pouliot Dez because I am not I just don't think Caron is the answer. I think the B's need to look outside for the 3rd line guy. Someone who is quick and good at checking/defense. Doesn't need to be a scorer. I just don't see why everyone thinks so highly of Caron. I just don't see it.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Callo, I (and CJ) thought Caron made improvements as this season got going. Strange that CJ made comments along those lines and then has sat him ever since. You may be right about Caron not being ready for the job but I'd at least like to see him get a real opportunity to succeed or fail before I'm willing to pass judgement. There were some very knowledgeable posters that saw nothing in Marchand's first 20 games to indicate he'd even be an NHL regular, let alone a top 6 regular with a knack for making big plays. Look at what happenned when he got a real chance with some real ice time. I'm not saying Caron will be the next Marchand but I'd like the chance to find out. One thing Caron already has over Pouliot is that he's a smart player. He plays sound positionally and usually makes the safe play with the puck. It's probably no big deal regardless since we know injuries are inevitable. Just like Marchand, he'll have to run with it when he gets another oportunity. The best way for him to stay in the lineup is to play so well that the coach wouldn't dare sit him again. There's always hope. The team is awesome anyway so I won't worry unless the winning dries up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Callo, as DEZ stated, Caron fits the description you have made for Kelly's 3rd line wing. Caron is hockey smart; he's big and strong on the puck; he's positionally sound [per Claude]; he's been given PK shifts which Pouliot has not; Kelly and Peverly don't have to wonder where he'll be on the ice; Caron complements Kelly and Peverly, and can skate with them. BsLegion may have hit the key on the re-entry perspective of paying half the 1 mil, but that number is going down, so let's hope Claude gets steamed. The major problem with Pouliot is that he would not fit in on any other line, if Paille or Horton or Marchand is out, for any reason, Pouliot would be a disaster, while Caron would fit right in, and not be a negative.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Pouliot is going to get better and better. He's with some fast guys and that'll open up some ice. Unfortunately, Caron's not ready and won't be till he figures out how to compensate for his lack of speed. I honestly don't know why the Bruins take slow skaters in round one (Hamill, Caron). Skating is the most important part of the game. If Hamill could fly his lack of size and grit would be less of a problem. And if Caron was fast he'd be able to put some pucks on net. Can't score if you can't get a shot away.
    That being said, players like Murray and Knuble were able to overcome lack of speed with other assets. In Murray's case it was learning to fire a tremendous snapshot, with Knuble it's the ability to pick up garbage goals. Maybe that's what Caron needs to work on, netfront presence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

What has Caron done to warrant a roster spot? What has he done in Prov to warrant a roster spot? --callodthedom19

Exactly, Caron needs to work on his game in Providence. When he puts up some serious numbers there (ie around a point a game) then he'll deserve a shot back with the B's. But he's very average even in the American league so far!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I have to agree with Orr and callo that I have not seen enough to warrant Caron staying on the big club. He has made a few brilliant plays but he needs seasoning. He does not have quite the passion that Marchand did. Marchand made rookie mistakes but he had so much fire and passion it could fuel the whole team. I never thought even in his first season that Marchand looked out of place. In fact from the first time I saw him I thought there is the Bruin's next first line wing. The kid has moxy. You don't watch Caron and feel that inspired. He has hockey smarts and you can see that. So until a move is made for a one year type guy to fill in for Pouliot if he fails to meet his goals then PC will show case him and hope another Kelly or Pev falls in his lap. A guy with experience you can count on it. No need to make a move if we flounder again but if we keep going this trajectory a move will be made for a third line winger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I have to agree with Orr and callo that I have not seen enough to warrant Caron staying on the big club. He has made a few brilliant plays but he needs seasoning. He does not have quite the passion that Marchand did. Marchand made rookie mistakes but he had so much fire and passion it could fuel the whole team. I never thought even in his first season that Marchand looked out of place. In fact from the first time I saw him I thought there is the Bruin's next first line wing. The kid has moxy. You don't watch Caron and feel that inspired. He has hockey smarts and you can see that. So until a move is made for a one year type guy to fill in for Pouliot if he fails to meet his goals then PC will show case him and hope another Kelly or Pev falls in his lap. A guy with experience you can count on it. No need to make a move if we flounder again but if we keep going this trajectory a move will be made for a third line winger.
    Posted by Macfact

Mac, Marchand had no goals and 1 assist in his first 20 games so you're a great judge of talent. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

LOL I agree Dez...you are the hockey wisdom on talent and you have the stats to prove it. Much respect. But it did not matter the kid came on the ice like a cannon ball or ball of fire. He had intangibles right from the start. We could probably say that about a lot of hockey players. Bergeron was not on fire stats wise but you just knew when you watched the kid play hockey all the things he did that made sense and you just could feel he had something special. I don't see that in Caron. Sorry but it is just my opinion. There are a lot of guys that get traded that I loved and were not right for the Bruin's and I could be wrong about Caron. I am not a Puoliot fan so don't mistake that. I have seen some things he has done that have been improvements and there are lot of business decisions in keeping him around that are above my pay grade. But from a logistics stand point Po is the better choice and yes I still believe Caron needs some seasoning in Providence. He has talent never said that but fire like Marchand no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Disagree. Caron is more sound positionally and already stronger than Benny (and isn't prone to overskating and falling down). He has more grit, gets to the net (and stays there), and plays a smart defensive game. He's much better than Marchand was his first go round. Factor in the fact he makes small money and just turned 21 a few weeks ago, I'll take the kid any day. Pouliot is your 13th forward...but we know that CJ will make Caron sit and watch in favor of a vet any day. He does it to one of the kids every year. I don't hate Pouliot, but Caron is gonna be a solid NHLer IMO. Kelly and Pevs really cover a lot of Benny the Pooh's positional shortcomings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Just for my peace of mind on this subject. I am not asking for Caron to be traded and don't think he is going to fail in Providence. Nor do I think he is not going to be a great third line player or better. Just not this season logistically or maturity wise. Some times it is a matter of circumstance. Let the kid play and light it up in Providence is that so bad to want to see. I think CJ thinks the same. Proof will be in what happens the rest of the season. Po is on a short leash you can bet that for sure. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

LOL I agree Dez...you are the hockey wisdom on talent and you have the stats to prove it. Much respect. But it did not matter the kid came on the ice like a cannon ball or ball of fire. He had intangibles right from the start. We could probably say that about a lot of hockey players. Bergeron was not on fire stats wise but you just knew when you watched the kid play hockey all the things he did that made sense and you just could feel he had something special. I don't see that in Caron. Sorry but it is just my opinion. There are a lot of guys that get traded that I loved and were not right for the Bruin's and I could be wrong about Caron. I am not a Puoliot fan so don't mistake that. I have seen some things he has done that have been improvements and there are lot of business decisions in keeping him around that are above my pay grade. But from a logistics stand point Po is the better choice and yes I still believe Caron needs some seasoning in Providence. He has talent never said that but fire like Marchand no.
    Posted by Macfact

Mac, never be sorry for your opinion. We all see different things with different players. I think Caron is going to get put back in when somebody gets hurt and he'll eventually stay there. A year ago we had Paille in the press-box. It's hard to imagine that now though isn't it? People will get hurt throughout the year and by playoffs, CJ will ice the 12 forwards who are playing the best, regardless of the name that's on the back of the sweater.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Pouliot is going to get better and better. He's with some fast guys and that'll open up some ice. Unfortunately, Caron's not ready and won't be till he figures out how to compensate for his lack of speed. I honestly don't know why the Bruins take slow skaters in round one (Hamill, Caron). Skating is the most important part of the game. If Hamill could fly his lack of size and grit would be less of a problem. And if Caron was fast he'd be able to put some pucks on net. Can't score if you can't get a shot away. That being said, players like Murray and Knuble were able to overcome lack of speed with other assets. In Murray's case it was learning to fire a tremendous snapshot, with Knuble it's the ability to pick up garbage goals. Maybe that's what Caron needs to work on, netfront presence.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash
    Benoit may be a fast skater but he has terrible balance ,he is like a chicken with his head cut off.Peverly and Kelly are playing so great that for now who they have with them isn't such a big factor.I am not sure if Caron is the answer but I would prefer to see him playing ,at least for the time being.I think the B's need to look outside the organization to fill that 3rd line spot.I really don't see it being that difficult to pick up a good solid guy for the 3rd line near the trade deadline.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Seobrien, are you saying CJ does not know how to evaluate Pouliot?  Maybe Caron has the positiional play, but just maybe he is not ready for prime time on the third line. I learned my lesson, CJ does know hockey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Seobrien, are you saying CJ does not know how to evaluate Pouliot?  Maybe Caron has the positiional play, but just maybe he is not ready for prime time on the third line. I learned my lesson, CJ does know hockey.
    Posted by islamorada

Of course CJ is an intelligent coach who know's hockey,that doesn't mean he is correct regarding every single situation .For me personally ,Pouliot is the only player on the team that I dislike .For decent money, I would much rather have Ryder on that 3rd line. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dallas, I don't dislike Caron.  I do like the Bs, so I will support Pouilot as being an energy guy, who can skate, and lastly has a laser shot when he does reside in front of the net.  Caron is positionally sound, is a good checker, but he is 20 and thus prone to gaffes or slow play over a long run of 20 or so games.  CJ is aware of those conditions.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch : Mac, never be sorry for your opinion. We all see different things with different players. I think Caron is going to get put back in when somebody gets hurt and he'll eventually stay there. A year ago we had Paille in the press-box. It's hard to imagine that now though isn't it? People will get hurt throughout the year and by playoffs, CJ will ice the 12 forwards who are playing the best, regardless of the name that's on the back of the sweater.
    Posted by dezaruchi

That is sensible talk. Voice of reason dez. I agree that will be Caron's opportunity. But in the mean time would he better served in Providence rather than the press box. Paille suprised me too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch : Of course CJ is an intelligent coach who know's hockey,that doesn't mean he is correct regarding every single situation .For me personally ,Pouliot is the only player on the team that I dislike .For decent money, I would much rather have Ryder on that 3rd line. 
    Posted by DallasSmith

I think Ryder is now at 9 goals.  For certain I'de rather have Ryder but at what cost? Dallas overpaid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch : I think Ryder is now at 9 goals.  For certain I'de rather have Ryder but at what cost? Dallas overpaid.
    Posted by BsLegion

I'd rather watch Pouliot than Ryder.

I'd rather watch Pouliot take stupid penalties that almost cost a loss, rather than Ryder coasting around, not contributing and not hurting - and losing.

I'd rather watch Pouliot hit guys with the 'follow through' type checks that Ryder didn't do.

I'd rather watch a guy try every night, than a guy who didn't seem to care at all some nights.

I'm not a fan of Pouliot.  I'm less of a fan of Ryder. 

Can I take the 9 goals without Ryder?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot Watch : I'd rather watch Pouliot than Ryder. I'd rather watch Pouliot take stupid penalties that almost cost a loss, rather than Ryder coasting around, not contributing and not hurting - and losing. I'd rather watch Pouliot hit guys with the 'follow through' type checks that Ryder didn't do. I'd rather watch a guy try every night, than a guy who didn't seem to care at all some nights. I'm not a fan of Pouliot.  I'm less of a fan of Ryder.  Can I take the 9 goals without Ryder?
    Posted by BadHabitude
    I don't think Pouliot is capable of playing the way Ryder did in the playoffs last year .To say Ryder didn't come to play every night during the regular season last year  is true but he did come to play in the playoffs. He is a pure sniper something Pouliot will never be . I don't think the 3rd line is strong enough to help us repeat come playoff time .

Sections
Shortcuts