Power Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Power Play

I can't help but think that if it wasn't for an anemic power play, the Bruins might have had a different out come to the score of last nites game. If so, what do you do to fix the problem ? They have to fix this before heading into the playoffs or we aren't going deep at all. Does PC have to pull a trade to get this job done ? Please don't tell me the problem can be fixed with Souray or Redden ! PC will have to give up something good to get something good back. I would rather he did this trade sooner rather than latter. Or. Do we have enough talent here on the roster, but just haven't put the right combination together ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: Power Play

2 PPG in back to back games b4 last night and PP looked good but no results, not so much to panic, it is improving big time.

This all stems to the improvement of Sav's play, as he has been getting better so has the B's PP, different looks for the opposition.  Sav will have this running like 2 years ago and we will be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

By the By, I would take Souray at the deadline, if available at half price, we would need to free up about 2.4 in salary with what we have available for this year and 2.7M for next year.

I don't care about his issues in Edm on a team that despite draft after draft has not gotten better, he is a tough customer that plays well in big games but has not had that many big games.  He also has scored over 20 twice, I scoop him in a minute.

A top D man on most teams would certainly make a nice #2 here and for #4 money at half price.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Power Play:
    [QUOTE]By the By, I would take Souray at the deadline, if available at half price, we would need to free up about 2.4 in salary with what we have available for this year and 2.7M for next year. I don't care about his issues in Edm on a team that despite draft after draft has not gotten better, he is a tough customer that plays well in big games but has not had that many big games.  He also has scored over 20 twice, I scoop him in a minute. A top D man on most teams would certainly make a nice #2 here and for #4 money at half price.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Souray basically a slower, more physical version of Marc-Andre Bergeron at this point. He has a big shot and that may be nice for the PP, but he's USELESS at even strength. He wasn't very good defensively even when he was healthy-ish and in his prime; he's brutal in the back half now.

There's a reason he cleared waivers and is in the AHL. He's not good enough for the NHL anymore. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Does PC have to pull a trade to get this job done ?"

Has to make a move and PC will have to be creative to free up that cap space.

http://www.capgeek.com/trade_machine.php?team1=1&team2=5&date=2011-02-28&team-1-non_roster-players[]=21&CompleteTradeButton=

$812,399 is how much PC would have to move out if he were to trade for Souray on Feb. 28th. Paille N0.4 Bobby ?...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

It's been looking better.
    Patience is what is needed most. No need to panic. Can we please just stop with the Souray talk? If they trade for a DMan I'd be sad if it was for him.
    Improvement from Savard is key to the PP though.
    For some reason I think that guys like Horton, Krejci, Seguin, and Savard will start to click down the stretch. Here's to hoping.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

5.4M halved by waivers = 2.7M

2.7M prorated to final 41 days at deadline
    =2.7 / 186(days in season) x 41(days left) =595161 - 141199(Cap remaining) =453962 prorated salary for final 41 days
    453962 / 41 x 186 = 2059438

So to make room for Souray it would need to be a player or players with a salary in the 2.1M range based upon the full year.

This could be done easy enough or hard enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Unsure what is up Wheeler is listed as RFA now but used to be UFA, I thought due to his arbitration he was UFA, not sure what is going on.

If we are to lose him at year end his 2.2 is the perfect money, if we can keep him, I would keep him.

Ference is next at 2.25M and his salary would basically cover next year as well.

Stuart if not to be signed next year UFA at 1.675 and Pail would also do the numbers.

If we can sign Stuart and Wheeler, I am for this, but if they are going to walk, I want a return.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

You'd give up an actual player for a guy who has 1 goal on 50 shots...in the AHL....in 15 games this year? And you'd pay him half a million dollars for 41 days work?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]You'd give up an actual player for a guy who has 1 goal on 50 shots...in the AHL....in 15 games this year? And you'd pay him half a million dollars for 41 days work?
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Power Play : Souray basically a slower, more physical version of Marc-Andre Bergeron at this point. He has a big shot and that may be nice for the PP, but he's USELESS at even strength. He wasn't very good defensively even when he was healthy-ish and in his prime; he's brutal in the back half now. There's a reason he cleared waivers and is in the AHL. He's not good enough for the NHL anymore. 
    There are 5.4million reasons that he cleared waivers.Not being good enough to play in the NHL isn't one of them.Both Souray and Redden are good enough but not at the price they're being paid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]You'd give up an actual player for a guy who has 1 goal on 50 shots...in the AHL....in 15 games this year? And you'd pay him half a million dollars for 41 days work?

but I would get free tickets to the game !!!!

LOL  I see where you're coing from.  His wrist injuries have realy slowed him down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Back to the actual powerplay, it's a big issue. 

It's not exact to say if they had scored on this powerplay or that powerplay then they would have won, because the events following that or those goals would have been different, but let's take a quick look at the close losses in December:

December 3 vs. Toronto:  Powerplay 0-2, shootout loss

December 11th vs. Philly:  0-2, OT loss

December 15th vs. Buffalo:  1-5, 3-2 loss

December 16th vs. Montreal:  1-4, 4-3 loss

December 30th vs. Atlanta:  0-3, shootout loss

No, they aren't going to win every game, but a better powerplay might change a couple of these losses into victories.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Back to the actual powerplay, it's a big issue.  It's not exact to say if they had scored on this powerplay or that powerplay then they would have won, because the events following that or those goals would have been different, but let's take a quick look at the close losses in December: December 3 vs. Toronto:  Powerplay 0-2, shootout loss December 11th vs. Philly:  0-2, OT loss December 15th vs. Buffalo:  1-5, 3-2 loss December 16th vs. Montreal:  1-4, 4-3 loss December 30th vs. Atlanta:  0-3, shootout loss No, they aren't going to win every game, but a better powerplay might change a couple of these losses into victories.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  In its present form, he Bruins' PP strategy turns the man advantage into even strength.  There seems to be a lot of time-eating perimeter play among statrionary players.  I've said before its a credit to the team they're where they are without a largely ineffective PP element. 

I'd like to think teams around the league are more concerned with the Bruins' PK.  Moving Chara and his heavy left-shooting shot over to the right point is a step in the right direction.  Not that I'm putting him in this class but some of the more notable left-shooting D-men through the years like Orr, Park, Potvin, Bourque, Langway and Coffey always seemed to be on the right side on the PP.  

They'd be fed pucks right in their wheelhouse which was towards the center of the ice not along the outside beside the boards.  (Ex-Leaf McCabe owes Kaberle a healthy portion of the massively over-rated contract he signed years ago because of Kaberle's assistance in that regard.)

I wouldn't doubt the opposition is not hesitant to take liberties with the Bruins without fear of retribution from the PP.  Perhaps this is why the Wings haven't really employed an enforcer since the days of Darren McCarty. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO the main problem is lack of fast movement, holding the puck too long, standing still. Does this sound like "coaching" solution?? also, if moving and quick release is inserted certainly Seguin should be part of the solution.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Julien can change out the current PP participants as much as he wants it will not change anything same ingredients in the soup tastes the same not going to work.

As N0.4Bobby said if PC has made up his mind that he is not going to resign Wheeler and Stuart because they are not going to play any better than they do today the rest of their careers then Boston should get something for them instead of letting them walk.

Edmonton would take an anything like "Future considerations" for Souray so PC would not be giving up allot while moving one player out that he is not going to resign this summer. Standing pat would be a mistake by Chiarelli.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]IMO the main problem is lack of fast movement, holding the puck too long, standing still. Does this sound like "coaching" solution?? also, if moving and quick release is inserted certainly Seguin should be part of the solution.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Bogie, not sure if its "fast movement" they need, the PP doesnt play well when they face teams that pressure the PP.. If they are allowed to work the puck around the perimeter they move it well and set up some good shots.

when they play a team that pressures the puck (which is a high risk PK) they tend to make mistakes and not move the puck well, i think they really need a second PP strategy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Just watched part of the Philly-New jersey game , especially PP and BOTH teams have their players skating. no umbrella, and always someone in the crease for rebounds, not standing , but rotating. It is a skating game and anyone standing still is easy to cover.