Powerplays '09 to present

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Powerplays '09 to present

Loss of Marc Savard. Geoff Ward is an idiot. Lots of reasons stated why the Boston pp is not good enough and that it should be better, and that we have seen a better powerplay when Savard was playing. I agree, but there are other factors.

Back in '09 the bruins powerplay was 23.6%, the league leader was Detroit with 25.5% and an average powerplay was New Jersey with 18.9%

This most recent season ('12), the league leader was Nashville with 21.6% and Boston was average with 17.2% Those are big drops in just 4 years.

There is an overall reduction in scoring, and powerplay scoring. Expecting the Bruins to be as successful as they were when they had Savard isn't realistic any more because even the best teams can no longer do it. Defensive strategies and larger goalie pads have made it much more difficult to score. Hopefully Boston will be better this year, but we and all fans will probably still be frustrated because the game has become more frustrating to watch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Powerplays '09 to present

I'm not sure if the goalie pads are to blame between those years, but I am sure that the opportunities dropped by 21%.

In '08-09, the B's had 313 powerplays, of on which they scored 74 goals.  That's an average of almost one a game.

In '11-12, they had 250 and score 43, dropping them to almost one every two games.  That's a big difference.

More important, I think, was the personnel in '08-09.  Look at the mobility of the major points guys:  Savard, Kessel, Ryder, Wideman.  Chara's shot from the point got through 11 times due to the chaos created by no one knowing where Savard was going to pass to next, and the rest of the Bruins moving at almost all times.

In '11-12, Chara was still at the point, but Bergeron was at the other, with Krejci telegraphing passes to a stationary Lucic, Horton, Seguin and Marchand.

Power plays need speed.  They need fast feet, mobility, agility and they need movement.  43 powerplay goals in a season is a joke. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Bruins miss that speed and creativity for sure. The game has changed rapidly too. Fewer powerplays, I think, is linked to the league becoming more slack in calling obstruction again. Teams are also attacking less and sitting back,drawing fewer penalties. In 2010 the league changed the rule on equipment, allowing goalie shin pads to exceed 38" if a goalie was at least a certain height (more than half of the leagues goalies are this height). Unless there is a big change in mindset with the signing of the new CBA (like there was last time) scoring is going to continue to decline. If the Bruins can ad some skill like they had in '09 (Seguin and Hamilton being the best hope) I think they can get back into the top 5 or 10 in the league, but the way things are going that may result in even less goals than they are getting now out of their powerplay.

In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure if the goalie pads are to blame between those years, but I am sure that the opportunities dropped by 21%. In '08-09, the B's had 313 powerplays, of on which they scored 74 goals.  That's an average of almost one a game. In '11-12, they had 250 and score 43, dropping them to almost one every two games.  That's a big difference. More important, I think, was the personnel in '08-09.  Look at the mobility of the major points guys:  Savard, Kessel, Ryder, Wideman.  Chara's shot from the point got through 11 times due to the chaos created by no one knowing where Savard was going to pass to next, and the rest of the Bruins moving at almost all times. In '11-12, Chara was still at the point, but Bergeron was at the other, with Krejci telegraphing passes to a stationary Lucic, Horton, Seguin and Marchand. Power plays need speed.  They need fast feet, mobility, agility and they need movement.  43 powerplay goals in a season is a joke. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Having two high-scoring defensmen seems key. Detroit in '09 had Rafalski and Lidstrom, Boston had Wideman and Chara both with 50+points. Last year Nashville had Suter and Weber. My fingers are crossed that Hamilton lives up to his hype.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present:[QUOTE] Power plays need speed.  They need fast feet, mobility, agility and they need movement.  43 powerplay goals in a season is a joke. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

This is why Peverley and Marchand should never be off the PP. No other Bruin forwards make defenseman back off during the powerplay like those two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would think Marchand would be an outstanding powerplay player. His 6 pp points is pretty weak for someone who gets two minutes per game. That said, I don't think they work plays through him much. Seems like everything is worked on the left side.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present : This is why Peverley and Marchand should never be off the PP. No other Bruin forwards make defenseman back off during the powerplay like those two.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure if the goalie pads are to blame between those years, but I am sure that the opportunities dropped by 21%. In '08-09, the B's had 313 powerplays, of on which they scored 74 goals.  That's an average of almost one a game. In '11-12, they had 250 and score 43, dropping them to almost one every two games.  That's a big difference. More important, I think, was the personnel in '08-09.  Look at the mobility of the major points guys:  Savard, Kessel, Ryder, Wideman.  Chara's shot from the point got through 11 times due to the chaos created by no one knowing where Savard was going to pass to next, and the rest of the Bruins moving at almost all times. In '11-12, Chara was still at the point, but Bergeron was at the other, with Krejci telegraphing passes to a stationary Lucic, Horton, Seguin and Marchand. Power plays need speed.  They need fast feet, mobility, agility and they need movement.  43 powerplay goals in a season is a joke. 

You described everything the power play right now under Ward is not.  As presently assembled the Bruins' strategy does not play to the skills the players involved and conversely the opposition has figured out how to disarm it.  We probably have recollections of the Red Wings' power play of some years ago always moving, circling, weaving about in constant motion looking for the open man. 

No doubt it helped to have Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom orchestrating it all but that approach appeared to leave defenders swivel-headed having to try and sort where everyone was.  The only player not in motion was Holmstrom doing his thing in the crease.  I have no proof of this but on some level I wouldn't doubt that power play served as a deterent for any opposition nonsense so as to not give the Wings a chance to work it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Their problem is that they pass the puck around the perimeter until someone either lets the puck out of the zone or shoots it into a defenders body.

One would think they'd at least attempt to change their approach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I will repeat put Jarvis behind the bench for special teams; and put Ward upstairs in the video box. The PP will improve with one d man up a 4 forwards moving the puck. The bruins lack puck movement but shooting is a strength for the defence.

1st PP should be Horton ( the release) Seguin ( speed and movement) Krejci (face offs and set up) Kelly (is a good utility player, net presence and can stay back on d if needed) and Chara on point.
    2nd PP should be March( speed and movement) Bergy (faceoffs and be the point man if needed) Pev (movement) Caron (net presence teach the kid now) and for starters try Ference or Boys on the point.

Overall I have more faith in Jarvis for the special team coaching because of his pass experience.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]I will repeat put Jarvis behind the bench for special teams; and put Ward upstairs in the video box. The PP will improve with one d man up a 4 forwards moving the puck. The bruins lack puck movement but shooting is a strength for the defence. 1st PP should be Horton ( the release) Seguin ( speed and movement ) Krejci (face offs and set up) Kelly (is a good utility player, net presence and can stay back on d if needed) and Chara on point. 2nd PP should be March ( speed and movement) Bergy (faceoffs and be the point man if needed) Pev (movement) Caron (net presence teach the kid now) and for starters try Ference or Boys on the point. Overall I have more faith in Jarvis for the special team coaching because of his pass experience.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

What has Caron done to prove he's worthy of PP time? Nothing.

Lucic would be the more likely option in front of the net.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present:[QUOTE] I don't think they work plays through him much. Seems like everything is worked on the left side. In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present : Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Never with the right players. He was changed back n forth between 1st and 2nd units, usually after some success.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present : What has Caron done to prove he's worthy of PP time? Nothing. Lucic would be the more likely option in front of the net.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  At 6-4, 228 lb. he'd be a handful.   Perhaps more difficult to handle than 39 year old, 6-0, 203 lb. Tomas Holstrom whose been s--t disturbing in goalies' faces for years. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

As you have pointed out, size doesn't have all that much to do with being a good net front presence. At least as a forward. Personally, I'd put Krejci there. He has good hands and would be more valuable than where he is now on the pp.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Powerplays '09 to present : Agreed.  At 6-4, 228 lb. he'd be a handful.   Perhaps more difficult to handle than 39 year old, 6-0, 203 lb. Tomas Holstrom whose been s--t disturbing in goalies' faces for years. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What I don't want to see:

A forward at the blueline.

We've watched Bergeron and Peverley do absolutely nothing from there for two years.  This move is as useless as Chara in front of the net.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Their problem is that they pass the puck around the perimeter until someone either lets the puck out of the zone or shoots it into a defenders body. One would think they'd at least attempt to change their approach.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Station to station passing mentioned above.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]What I don't want to see: A forward at the blueline. We've watched Bergeron and Peverley do absolutely nothing from there for two years.  This move is as useless as Chara in front of the net.

I hate the forward at the point, perhaps with the exception of Brian Rolston during his first tour here. I thought he was pretty good there. There was also more than one occasion that Axelsson was there.

As much as I can't stand that, I hated Chara in front of the net even more, but understood they were trying anything to get it going.

It was fustrating to watch the power play last year, to see them continually force the puck back to the point even when Chara was covered. Get the puck down low, teams will have to adjust and it may open up Chara who could move in and maybe, just maybe be able to wind up instead of taking a rushed half slapper from his back foot. The talent is there, and I'd love to see the power play revolved around Seguin setting up for the one timer on the off wing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Lucic net presence is OK, but will need to be quicker on reaction time. Don Cherry at one time put Wensink in front of the net waiting for rebounds and cheap goals, yes Wensink wasn't fancy put did the dirty work and got 20 goals one season. All a teams need in front of the net is a fearless, strong and F.U. this is my turf attitude player. Milan fits the job description but only when Looch wants too. Caron in the net area will not hurt cause the kid will want to show he is worthy and dedicated.

The bruins don't have the d men to have two on the point for PP. Why not try 4 forwards down and one d on the point. I think PC is waiting to see if Hamilton has NHL PP capabilities, if not then maybe we will see a trade to address the problem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]Lucic net presence is OK, but will need to be quicker on reaction time. Don Cherry at one time put Wensink in front of the net waiting for rebounds and cheap goals, yes Wensink wasn't fancy put did the dirty work and got 20 goals one season. All a teams need in front of the net is a fearless, strong and F.U. this is my turf attitude player. Milan fits the job description but only when Looch wants too. Caron in the net area will not hurt cause the kid will want to show he is worthy and dedicated. The bruins don't have the d men to have two on the point for PP. Why not try 4 forwards down and one d on the point. I think PC is waiting to see if Hamilton has NHL PP capabilities, if not then maybe we will see a trade to address the problem.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

28...while rocking the fro.

All kidding aside, your point about somebody terrorizing the top of the crease is well taken.

One of the things that gets me fired up, is that it seems like Milan is continually working on his weaknesses to try and improve. That's great, but only to a point. The last thing I want that kid to do is start thinking that he needs to become Jari Kurri. I say exploit your strengths first before you worry about carrying the puck up and down the wing - which he did to a fault against the caps, and it seemed contrived to my eye.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lucic doesn't score a lot of goals from in front of the crease.  He fails to score a lot of goals from there, however.  I started a thread about it last season.  There are so many times when the puck goes right past him and his slow stick...and the empty side of the net.

He's the Anti-Garbageman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Lucic doesn't score a lot of goals from in front of the crease.  He fails to score a lot of goals from there, however.  I started a thread about it last season.  There are so many times when the puck goes right past him and his slow stick...and the empty side of the net. He's the Anti-Garbageman.

There's a weakness he can work on.  My pee wee coach would have told him to start by having his freaking stick on the ice.  Guy stands upright with his stick parallel to the ice more than anyone I've ever seen.  It looks like he has back problems.  Maybe someone can work on that with him?  A coach, maybe?

Sections
Shortcuts