Present Team Records Without The Shootout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Team Records Without The Shootout

This article from yesterday's Toronto Sun doesn't include last night's results but it does take a look at the 2013/14 records of teams with and without the shootout. Teams are ranked by most SO wins. It's had a bigger effect on some clubs more than others. As we know not so much on the Bruins with their SO mark of 2-3.  

The Toronto Maybe Next Years have dined on SO points so far. Right now they have 80 points in the 7th spot in the East. Without their SO record they'd have 71 points and be wallowing around in 12th and out of a playoff spot.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/21/how-your-team-would-be-faring-in-a-shootout-free-nhl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Present Team Records Without The Shootout

great read, thanks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

great read, thanks

No problem. I thought it would be interesting to see where some teams stood minus the SO points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"The Toronto Maple Leafs, who are 9-4 in the shootout this season and have a three-point cushion as the first wild card seed in the East, would be out of the playoffs if it weren't for the skills competition."

It's good to see that we're not alone in disliking it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know that I've ever seen the research everyone seems to take for granted - you know, the study that shows how much the casual fan loves the shootout.

The only reason I ever hear for having the shootout is: fans paid to see a winner.  I'd love to hear the follow-up question: do you think the shootout is a good way to determine the winner of a hockey game?  Bet the answer from 80% of those who want a winner is NO!

Children under 12 like the shootout.  They will grow out of this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I like the shootout.

I also think MLB should should ditch the extra innnings in favor of a home run derby and BBall with a slam dunk contest. Oh, wait...those are horrible ideas. And so is the %^&$#! shotout!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You forgot a Punt-Pass-Kick for the NFL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

The argument I always heard was that everyone involved (players, management, arenas, the media etc) wanted a reasonable time limit placed on each game and the NHL wanted a winner each game (no ties.) I kinda like the idea of trading power plays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The Toronto Maple Leafs, who are 9-4 in the shootout this season and have a three-point cushion as the first wild card seed in the East, would be out of the playoffs if it weren't for the skills competition."

It's good to see that we're not alone in disliking it.

[/QUOTE]

Even with the aid of that skills contest the Toronto Maybe Next Years are hanging on to a playoff spot by their fingertips. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know that I've ever seen the research everyone seems to take for granted - you know, the study that shows how much the casual fan loves the shootout.

The only reason I ever hear for having the shootout is: fans paid to see a winner.  I'd love to hear the follow-up question: do you think the shootout is a good way to determine the winner of a hockey game?  Bet the answer from 80% of those who want a winner is NO!

Children under 12 like the shootout.  They will grow out of this.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Hockey's a team game. Not a bunch of free breakaways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Went to a junior game recently. Great game followed by the SO. Fans were on their feet cheering like crazy. Home side came out on top.

Me ? I hate excitement when I go to a hockey game. Longing for the days of the buzzer going off in a tie game and feeling like I want to see more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Went to a junior game recently. Great game followed by the SO. Fans were on their feet cheering like crazy. Home side came out on top.

Me ? I hate excitement when I go to a hockey game. Longing for the days of the buzzer going off in a tie game and feeling like I want to see more.

[/QUOTE]

Oh c'mon Chowda.  Et tu?  You really like the shootout?  Do you think it's the only way to find excitement at a hockey game?  I can't tell if you're being serious or just contrarian.

People stand on their feet for t-shirt tossing and the kiss cam too, but like the shootout, it isn't really hockey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:[QUOTE]  I hate excitement when I go to a hockey Baseball game. Longing for the days of the buzzer going off in a tie game and feeling like I want to see more. [/QUOTE]

Insert picture of Bud Selig!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I had any doubts whether the shootout is a bad idea, your support of it confirms my original stance. Thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh c'mon Chowda.  Et tu?  You really like the shootout?  Do you think it's the only way to find excitement at a hockey game?  I can't tell if you're being serious or just contrarian.

People stand on their feet for t-shirt tossing and the kiss cam too, but like the shootout, it isn't really hockey.

[/QUOTE]

A contrarian regarding ties ? Why ? Because I don't agree with a small group of people on a web site ?

I have liked it from day 1 and know people who feel the same way. For the millionth time I always hated ties ...........I'm glad they're gone. I like the entertainment value SO's bring in the regular season games.

Ties are like watching a movie with a bad ending. Disappointing !

And where did you get the idea that the shootout is the only excitement I find at a game ?

That's just a meaningless comment by you coming out of nowhere.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

If teams can't decide a winner after going at it for 65 minutes I think a tie is an equitable result.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

If I had any doubts whether the shootout is a bad idea, your support of it confirms my original stance. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Glad I could help.

I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've had doubts with your thinking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A contrarian regarding ties ? Why ? Because I don't agree with a small group of people on a web site ?

I have liked it from day 1 and know people who feel the same way. For the millionth time I always hated ties ...........I'm glad they're gone. I like the entertainment value SO's bring in the regular season games.

Ties are like watching a movie with a bad ending. Disappointing !

And where did you get the idea that the shootout is the only excitement I find at a game ?

That's just a meaningless comment by you coming out of nowhere.

[/QUOTE]

Just asking.  You said (sarcastically) "I hate excitement at a hockey game" referring directly to the shootout.  I was implying that there are other ways to have an exciting ending to a hockey game besides the shootout.  Was asking for your opinion.  To the old Chowda it would have been a fun discussion. To the 'new Chowda' it's 'meaningless' and spurs the antagonism.  I agree on ties, but the shootout is an even worse solution to me.

I know, I know...you ain't gonna change, don't care about nothin', tough s**t if I don't like it, and so forth...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

If teams can't decide a winner after going at it for 65 minutes I think a tie is an equitable result.

Me too. I never had a problem with a hard fought tie. I was always excited when a team could pull the goalie and tie it up late. i just think that sometimes both teams play well enough to deserve a point. Ties have never bothered me at all, whether I was playing or watching a game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Me too. I never had a problem with a hard fought tie. I was always excited when a team could pull the goalie and tie it up late. i just think that sometimes both teams play well enough to deserve a point. Ties have never bothered me at all, whether I was playing or watching a game.

[/QUOTE]

Hey man! Good to see you back on the board! And yeah, I see a point for each as a just outcome.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey man! Good to see you back on the board! And yeah, I see a point for each as a just outcome.

[/QUOTE]

RHO, I just finished a 30 km pipeline in Alberta where I worked 91 hours a week. I'm glad it's over and glad to be back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

RHO, I just finished a 30 km pipeline in Alberta where I worked 91 hours a week. I'm glad it's over and glad to be back.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back dez!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Shoot outs are for weenies...it has no place in the game. Especially if you're awarding a point to the loser. The whole point of the shootout was to be the deciding factor...establish the winner of the game. By default, if you have established a winner then you've established a loser. Since when is the loser awarded anything. Winner gets 2 points and the loser gets 0.  What's so hard to understand about that? That's what the OT is for...to be a tiebreaker. Play till there is a winner and a loser. Award points based on that result.
    Garfield

Sections
Shortcuts