President Obama

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

President Obama

So according to the Washington Post the only public event on the President's schedule today is his meeting with the Bruins in a ceremony of sorts to recognize their Cup and their charity work.

since it's a public event, that means cameras. Anyone know where you could go to watch it? I'm sure it won't be live, but there must be someplace it will be posted after the fact.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: President Obama

you'd think something like this would happen in the off-season, not past the half-way point of the next. distraction that's not needed before a game tuesday. is this when it usually happens, or does it depend on the presidents (obviously) busy schedule? as to your question red, we'll all catch the 4 seconds of coverage it will get on ESPN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Hawks met him in March of 2011, and the Penguins met him in Sept 09, so I'm guessing that it is all about squeezing it into the president's schedule. They're in DC anyway, so it may have been the easiest way to schedule it. Also, if the meeting doesn't distract the President from the State of the Union tomorrow, it shouldn't distract the Bruins from a hockey game tomorrow either. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They need to have the whole team together, in Washington, at a time the president can meet them. A lot of teams just do it on a day they are playing the Capitals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ExcitedBruinsFan. Show ExcitedBruinsFan's posts

Fluto's tweet says no  Nathan Horton, Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley, Shawn Thornton, anyone know why that is?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In case you hadn't noticed yet, Live feed of it on BDC Bruins Blog.  Starts in an hour.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: President Obama:
    [QUOTE]The Hawks met him in March of 2011, and the Penguins met him in Sept 09, so I'm guessing that it is all about squeezing it into the president's schedule. They're in DC anyway, so it may have been the easiest way to schedule it. Also, if the meeting doesn't distract the President from the State of the Union tomorrow, it shouldn't distract the Bruins from a hockey game tomorrow either. ;)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

"And that is why, at a time when the consequences of holding firm to our principles can cause financial consequences even the most seasoned economist cannot foresee, we must come together as a congress to...um...punch up our exports as though they were Sedins?  Pump the tires of the economy?  Sorry folks, I, uh, I was thinking about a replay of last year's Stanley Cup I watched yesterday."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Hopefully Obama makes it outta this meeting withoug being run into any turnbuckles, having his knees taken out or getting slammed into a wall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully Obama makes it outta this meeting withoug being run into any turnbuckles, having his knees taken out or getting slammed into a wall.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

I think his safety is assured. His D-men carry guns.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Senator Kerry was at the ceremony. He was sporting two black eyes and a broken nose that he got this weekend. From playing hockey. The guy's 68. Hope I can still play at that age.

He wouldn't say how he did it in the game, but I've seen him play and he wears a full cage, so I'm guessing a fight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm guessing one two many cold ones after the game and a fall in the shower.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Weird paragraph from the TSN story

"

Conn Smythe Trophy winning-goaltender Tim Thomas did not attend the visit hosted by U.S. President Barack Obama and the team explained that he would post a statement regarding his actions on his Facebook page on Monday night. "

"post a statement regarding his actions"? Sounds odd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Senator Kerry was at the ceremony. He was sporting two black eyes and a broken nose that he got this weekend. From playing hockey. The guy's 68. Hope I can still play at that age.  He wouldn't say how he did it in the game, but I've seen him play and he wears a full cage, so I'm guessing a fight.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

A UNH hockey alum I believe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

More weirdness

"We're like a family. We have our issues," Chiarelli answered when asked if Thomas's decision overshadowed the visit. "You deal with them, move on, and try and support everyone. It may or may not. If it does, I hope it doesn't. The guys seemed to enjoy it. I enjoyed it."

All other players were in attendance. Chiarelli said attendance today was not mandatory. Steven Kampfer is the other American player from last year's roster.

"I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don't, I can suspend him," Chiarelli said. "I'm not suspending Tim. Whatever his position is, it isn't reflective of the Boston Bruins nor my own. But I'm not suspending him."

A political protest maybe?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]More weirdness "We're like a family. We have our issues," Chiarelli answered when asked if Thomas's decision overshadowed the visit. "You deal with them, move on, and try and support everyone. It may or may not. If it does, I hope it doesn't. The guys seemed to enjoy it. I enjoyed it." All other players were in attendance. Chiarelli said attendance today was not mandatory. Steven Kampfer is the other American player from last year's roster. "I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don't, I can suspend him," Chiarelli said. "I'm not suspending Tim. Whatever his position is, it isn't reflective of the Boston Bruins nor my own. But I'm not suspending him." A political protest maybe?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

If it is, it's idiotic, and I have no stake in the politics of it.  It isn't a political event.  The team is being honored for winning and you represent the team.  Going there is not endorsing Obama's policies for God's sake.  Silly.  I hope it was something else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Disrespectful punk move imo. When the President invites you to the white house, you go. Sorry Timmy, but you're borderline incoherent when you speak; have the humility to understand that this running the country stuff JUST MAYBE is a little over your head. 

This really really irks me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Hope it wasn't. I don't feel all that comfortable with mixing politics and sport, but beyond that, if it is a protest I don't get it. It wasn't a political event, and I was always taught that you respect the office even if you don't respect the policies. How many members of the 7 Cup teams during the Bush years didn't like all of his policies but still went? This could end up overshadowing everything else about the event, and if it is politically motivated, as PC seemed to imply, then it'll end up being a s##tstorm.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If TT missed this due to political views, i find it totally uncalled for, bad move by TT. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

Agreed. Punk move. It shows a complete disrespect for the leader of the country. He's an American player and should know better. Shame on him. He is paid to play hockey not engage in political protesting. Would he have refused to meet with the leader of a foreign nation? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I agree.  Bad move by TT.

Whether or not you like the current president isn't the point.  You should respect the "Office of the Presidency".  He should have gone and kept his opinions to himself if he really felt that strongly about it.

It was an invitation to celebrate the Stanley Cup.  Nothing more and nothing less.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

SI Is reporting that it was in fact a political protest, and that PC has repeatedly discussed the issue with TT over the last 3 months.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/01/23/tim.thomas.white.house.visit/

My two favourite hobbies are politics and hockey, but I'm really not keen on the two mixing. This'll be a top story in every political news program and site in the country. Welcome to the s##tstorm of Election 2012.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Cheap. Very cheap. My perception of Thomas has just plummeted southward. Hockey should trump politics everytime regardless of whether you are a Republican or a Democrat. He needs to show respect. Not Beck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

Red, I read the same article. If in fact it's political, it reflects on the team. If he were a citizen of another country, I could almost understand it. But he was born here. So no pass on this one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Disappointed, unless he's protesting the very idea of having a Presidential event for championship teams as a waste of the President's time.  I could understand that, at least.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Disappointed, unless he's protesting the very idea of having a Presidential event for championship teams as a waste of the President's time.  I could understand that, at least.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Hope that's the case.