President Obama

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: President Obama

I don't agree with many of President Obama's policies, but if I was in Thomas position I'd go, shake his hand, enjoy the PR ceremony / photo op and at least not let myself be fodder for the media. And that's all this'll be: Red said it-- election season is a media S###storm. Come on Timmy; it's not as if you're being asked to sign a petition endorsing Obama's position on universal health care or some other policy with which you may not agree. Just show up, shut up, and smile. That's all the visit to the White House is about.

Dumb move. Will make the "USA USA" chants you guys love to scream during Habs visits to the Garden seem that much more hilarious when Thomas is in net. Wink

In the long run, though, I bet this story won't have much of a shelf life and it'll be old news by Thursday, with no effect anywhere that matters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: President Obama:
    [QUOTE]I don't agree with many of President Obama's policies, but if I was in Thomas position I'd go, shake his hand, enjoy the PR ceremony / photo op and at least not let myself be fodder for the media. And that's all this'll be: Red said it-- election season is a media S###storm. Come on Timmy; it's not as if you're being asked to sign a petition endorsing Obama's position on universal health care or some other policy with which you may not agree. Just show up, shut up, and smile. That's all the visit to the White House is about. Dumb move. Will make the "USA USA" chants you guys love to scream during Habs visits to the Garden seem that much more hilarious when Thomas is in net. In the long run, though, I bet this story won't have much of a shelf life and it'll be old news by Thursday, with no effect anywhere that matters.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

There not yelling "Obama, Obama" So that doesnt even make sense.

But now if im a Habs fan next time Thomas plays in the Centre im chanting "WE LOVE OBAMA! WE LOVE OBAMA!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Kennedy, I was a political reporter for 12 years - in that time I had the opportunity to meet leaders as diverse as Stephen Harper and Paul Martin to Bernie Sanders and Jesse Helms. I honestly believe you don't have to respect someone's politics or policies, but you should respect the office. You salute the rank, not the person.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Very bad move by Timmy. No class at all in this move!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: President Obama : There not yelling "Obama, Obama" So that doesnt even make sense.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

The USA chant doesn't make sense anyway. That was kind of the point.

[QUOTE]Kennedy, I was a political reporter for 12 years - in that time I had the opportunity to meet leaders as diverse as Stephen Harper and Paul Martin to Bernie Sanders and Jesse Helms. I honestly believe you don't have to respect someone's politics or policies, but you should respect the office. You salute the rank, not the person.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The whole thing is a photo op, not a political visit. Shut up, smile, shake hands, move on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

You know what's interesting (from an outsider viewpoint) is that you,as fans of this team are calling Thomas out on this. Yet, on other sites, non bruin fans are applauding his right to protest. Why do you think that is?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i disagree with most of you. Tim Thomas comes from a blue collar family and a Union infested Michigan birthplace. Usually that spells out DEMOCRAT in big letters. However, Michigan and many other locales have suffered economical disasters under this particular President. I would like to say that I would separate the office from the individual, but having voted religiously for the best person,[ in my view], this particular individual, and his subordinates have tarnished this prestigious and important Office. I TOTALLY support Tim Thomas, and would have done the same. Some of your Canadian bretheren may currently be suffering joblessness because of his blatant delays on the trans Canada/USA pipeline for shale oil. This s a purely political action that is consistent with this person, but not the Office.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

[QUOTE]i disagree with most of you. Tim Thomas comes from a blue collar family and a Union infested Michigan birthplace. Usually that spells out DEMOCRAT in big letters. However, Michigan and many other locales have suffered economical disasters under this particular President. I would like to say that I would separate the office from the individual, but having voted religiously for the best person,[ in my view], this particular individual, and his subordinates have tarnished this prestigious and important Office. I TOTALLY support Tim Thomas, and would have done the same. Some of your Canadian bretheren may currently be suffering joblessness because of his blatant delays on the trans Canada/USA pipeline for shale oil. This s a purely political action that is consistent with this person, but not the Office.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

wait....was he in a union in michigan 4 years ago? that would be no, so, the current president has nothing to do with TT's poor background.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]i disagree with most of you. Tim Thomas comes from a blue collar family and a Union infested Michigan birthplace. Usually that spells out DEMOCRAT in big letters. However, Michigan and many other locales have suffered economical disasters under this particular President. I would like to say that I would separate the office from the individual, but having voted religiously for the best person,[ in my view], this particular individual, and his subordinates have tarnished this prestigious and important Office. I TOTALLY support Tim Thomas, and would have done the same. Some of your Canadian bretheren may currently be suffering joblessness because of his blatant delays on the trans Canada/USA pipeline for shale oil. This s a purely political action that is consistent with this person, but not the Office.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    How wrong you are. Flint suffered the collapse under Reagen, when they started to allow the big three to outsource good paying union jobs, to low paying, or out of country places. Flint had long since quit breathing by the time Obama took office. How do I know this? I grew up there. Under W. Bush Timmys car lot failed and went under. Once again how do I know? I worked there. This was about a city, a team, and a united country,not Timmy, and Timmy said screw everyone not making millions per year, it's about me!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: President Obama : How wrong you are. Flint suffered the collapse under Reagen, when they started to allow the big three to outsource good paying union jobs, to low paying, or out of country places. Flint had long since quit breathing by the time Obama took office. How do I know this? I grew up there. Under W. Bush Timmys car lot failed and went under. Once again how do I know? I worked there. This was about a city, a team, and a united country,not Timmy, and Timmy said screw everyone not making millions per year, it's about me!!!
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]
    Wow, I'm sorry that this became such an issue for TT and yourself. I know how much he means to you. You're absolutely right too. This visit wasn't about politics and frankly, I'd prefer if the athletes I cheer for kept political issues for their own time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: President Obama : Yes, that is exactly what he thinks. Even deleted my comments on his fb page for disagreeing in a very nice manner. Agreed, very poor decision on his part. Today I lost a lot of respect for one of my lifes heroes!!
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]

Ouch coming form you !
    Will he explain this decision ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'll say this, I am REALLY opinionated politically, I won't say one side or the other, but a presidential invite to an athlete really should be obliged no matter what your belief system is.

I am very disappointed in TT, I don't think it will help him to achieve any of his political goals.

Hopefully this doesn't become a trend and a democratic athlete will boycott the next republican president.

OK, I'll say it, I'm a dem, but I will admit that Carter boycotting the Moscow Olympics was the lamest thing on the planet for mixing sports/politics.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: President Obama : Ouch coming form you ! Will he explain this decision ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

He's supposed to release a statement on his FB page at 6pm ET.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

But bogie you're making a political argument (eg. you don't like Obama).  Would you have felt the same way if a player did this to Bush, say in the middle of the war.  They would have been tarred and feathered by the uber-patriotic crowd.  I would consistently say that sports figures should always respect the office of the Presidency when representing their team.  The Bruins were invited, not just Tim Thomas, therefore his statement reflects on them, not just him.  Bad form.

Thanks for the giant mid-season distraction TT.  Politics and religion are fine, but they should be kept seperate from the team.  Whatever statement TT was trying to make today, it was a stupid one, and that has nothing to do with his beliefs.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

We will find out the reason when TT releases his statement.

This will be interesting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

bogie just so you know, the Keystone thing is a bit of a red herring. For the pipeline to have even gotten to the states, it would have passed across Native land, and the Band had said that was never going to happen. It didn't really matter much if it was blocked on the USA side of the border, it was likely never going to built to the existing plan in Canada. The alternative option, that leads to sale to China won't happen either, because it is being blocked by native and environmentalist groups in BC. The one other option is a line to the Port of Churchhill in Manitoba, but the Manitoba governmnt is opposed to that. In other words, these pipelines face more hurdles here than they do south of the 49th. Obama didn't really have to do anything to block it - Canadians would have done that for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: President Obama : bogie just so you know, the Keystone thing is a bit of a red herring. For the pipeline to have even gotten to the states, it would have passed across Native land, and the Band had said that was never going to happen. It didn't really matter much if it was blocked on the USA side of the border, it was likely never going to built to the existing plan in Canada. The alternative option, that lead to sale to China won't happen either, because it is being blocked by native and environmentalist groups in BC. The one other option is a line to the Port of Churchhill in Manitoba, but the Manitoba governmnt is opposed to that. In other words, these pipelines face more hurdles here than they do south of the 49th. Obama didn't really have to do anything to block it - Canadians would have done that for him.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Plus, Keystone is not dead. TransCanada can reapply once they figure out an alternate route (the source of the issue) which will, conveniently, take several months to plan. That is to say, after the next Presidential election.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Enough with the politics. I just want to know why Pee Wee Herman is there. See him in the pinstripes? Standing behind Mr Burns...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bruins-mvp-tim-thomas-skips-white-house-event-203636656.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Enough with the politics. I just want to know why Pee Wee Herman is there. See him in the pinstripes? Standing behind Mr Burns... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bruins-mvp-tim-thomas-skips-white-house-event-203636656.html
    Posted by Kurako[/QUOTE]
    All of the Champs were invited. I wonder if they told Pouliot and Corvo to stay back at the hotel?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Completely disagree...it is his right to not attend and he chose to NOT ATTEND.
    [QUOTE]If TT missed this due to political views, i find it totally uncalled for, bad move by TT. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

I just new someone would use this episode with TT to spout their incoherent political views on this Bruin forum. 

Can't you a find a right wing forum to sling your sh*t ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So what now ?  he'll get booed out of town ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Quick comment, politics is not the issue economics is the issue.  If Thomas is making a political statement, well, dumb move.  Many in this country stood by the soliders and President in Iraq.  Many have to realize the leadership does make errors like goaltenders.  It is the economy stupid, last time I checked the Federal Reserve is run by the same people who put the US in this whole mess.  Like the recent Economist magazine cover states, "State Capitalism".  That is an apolitical title if there ever was one!  Thomas grow up! I taught the subject a long time, I swallowed my political views to honor a country first, then everything else second!

Sections
Shortcuts