In response to pauly1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IN THE LAST 15 YEARS ONLY 4 TEAMS THAT WON THE PRES HAVE WON THE CUP THAT INCLUDED CHI WHO ON THE PRES IN A SHORT SEASON.  2 OTHERS ARE DET THAT WAS THE TEAM TO BEAT DURING A VAST PART OF THOSE YEARS. 27% OF THE TEAMS WHO HAVE WON THE PRES TROPHY IN LAST 15 YEARS HAVE WON THE CUP.

WINNING THE PRES TROPHY IS MORE OF A CURSE THEN A BLESSING

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the numbers. Some of us get it and some of us don't.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the last 15 years would be the 1998-1999 through 2012-2013 season, and there have only been 14 champions because of the lockout. And, actually 5 President's Trophy winner won cups in that span. Dallas ('99), Colorado ('01), Detroit ('02 & '08), and Chicago ('13). So technically, in the last 15 seasons, 36% of President's winners won the cup.

Also, if you look a little further, one of the top four records in the NHL one the cup 11 of those 14 times. So the idea that you are better off being in the "middle of the pack" is quite ludicrous. In general, one of the best regular season teams wins the cup. 

[/QUOTE]

Winning 36 % of anything just means u are a loser. Of course one of the top 4 will usually win i think that goes without saying. Your comment is stupid its like u just don't get it. I'm just curious how old are u? lol

[/QUOTE]

Its not 36%

[/QUOTE]

5 teams that won the President's trophy divided by 14 Stanley Cups awarded = 36%

5/14 = .35714285 

It's called math. Did they have it at your school?

[/QUOTE]

Frank its 5 teams in last 15 years including this year. . Don't get nsughty. Include 2013-14 

[/QUOTE]

If you want to add this year, that is still 33%. Not mention, the main point is that the "middle of the pack" generally do not win the cup. It is usually one of the top 2 teams from one of the conference in terms of regular season record.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: President Tropfy

[QUOTE]

FRANK EXCUSE ME BUT WHO MADE REF TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER. WAS HE PART IF THIS CONVERSATION GOING ON NOW.... YES  OR NO

WE ARE TALKING STRICTLY PRES TROPHY. ... NOTHING ELSE

[/QUOTE]

I am fine with that. The President's trophy winner winners the Stanley Cup more often than the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ...  16th best team in the playoffs. In fact, they win it more often than places 5-16 combined. Even just looking at the last 15 years. There is nothing wrong with having the best regular season record that handicaps you in the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Also if u exclude last year since it was a short season.  3/4 pres trophy winners lost in the first round and ofcourse this years bruins lost in the second round

[/QUOTE]

What does that have to with it? So you would really the Bruins be a worse regular season team because you think that some how increases their chances of winning the cup? You know his gets knocked in the first round more often then President's Trophy winners? Middle of the pack teams!

[/QUOTE]
    Who is talking about mddle pack. Focus focus on pres trophy and the fact that it is farfar from getting the team a cup

Come on ... its not a revelation

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree that winning it does not get you the cup, but it's does not hurt you or somehow make it more difficult.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

The bottom line is if u win the presidents trophy the odds are heavily against u going all the way....Well now surprise surprise who would have ever thought that...... This site is like kindergarten for hockey fans. lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

The bottom line is if u win the presidents trophy the odds are heavily against u going all the way....Well now surprise surprise who would have ever thought that...... This site is like kindergarten for hockey fans. lol

[/QUOTE]

Yes, seeing as the President's Trophy winner is the most likely team to win the cup (5 of the last 15 and something like 40 of 90 in the history of the league) is the same the odds being "heavily against". 

The President's Trophy is irrelevant to the playoffs. I am not trying to say that it gives you an advantage of any kind (I do not think home ice is a big a deal as being the home team in other sports), but to imply that is somehow lowers your chances of winning is ludicrous. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[/QUOTE]

Winning 36 % of anything just means u are a loser. Of course one of the top 4 will usually win i think that goes without saying. Your comment is stupid its like u just don't get it. I'm just curious how old are u? lol

[/QUOTE]

Tiger Woods has only won 27.2% of his professional starts. What a loser! A ball player with a .360 batting average would be a bum, according to your thinking. Favourites in a horse race, win less than 1/2 the time.

Numbers can be a funny thing. If you really think the winning percentages of President trophy winners, compared to the other teams, is actually relevant (I personally don't), than a fairer comparison would be to break it down to all 16 playoff contenders.

That would give all 16 teams,roughly about a 6.4% chance of winning the Cup.

Given those odds, a 36% win rate looks pretty good.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, seeing as the President's Trophy winner is the most likely team to win the cup (5 of the last 15 and something like 40 of 90 in the history of the league) is the same the odds being "heavily against". 

The President's Trophy is irrelevant to the playoffs. I am not trying to say that it gives you an advantage of any kind (I do not think home ice is a big a deal as being the home team in other sports), but to imply that is somehow lowers your chances of winning is ludicrous. 

[/QUOTE]

I here what your saying and on paper it makes sense. But when a team wins the presidents i think they get the feeling they already won something and maybe that takes away from there drive. The numbers clearly show the presidents trophy  winner more often loses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I cant believe i took part in this stupidity....oh ya its the long weekend

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I cant believe i took part in this stupidity....oh ya its the long weekend

[/QUOTE]

Pauly ... no need to use those words if I may say so. .. That's nas type of doing thngs....... Don't think ur like him. .. right? 

[/QUOTE]

Your right i shouldn't belittle myself into nas territory.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

[QUOTE]

IN THE LAST 15 YEARS ONLY 4 TEAMS THAT WON THE PRES HAVE WON THE CUP THAT INCLUDED CHI WHO WON THE PRES IN A SHORT SEASON.  2 OTHERS ARE DET THAT WAS THE TEAM TO BEAT DURING A VAST PART OF THOSE YEARS... 27% OF THE TEAMS WHO HAVE WON THE PRES TROPHY IN LAST 15 YEARS HAVE WON THE CUP.

Thank you Maro.  Also,most of those teams lost in the first round.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Ramz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

IN THE LAST 15 YEARS ONLY 4 TEAMS THAT WON THE PRES HAVE WON THE CUP THAT INCLUDED CHI WHO WON THE PRES IN A SHORT SEASON.  2 OTHERS ARE DET THAT WAS THE TEAM TO BEAT DURING A VAST PART OF THOSE YEARS... 27% OF THE TEAMS WHO HAVE WON THE PRES TROPHY IN LAST 15 YEARS HAVE WON THE CUP.

Thank you Maro.  Also,most of those teams lost in the first round.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So basically were all just saying would rather win in the playoffs,over the reg season.well except for one person and I never no what he is talking about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Curses ?

Always a good conversation ...........................when it comes to rationalizing what happens regarding the difference between winning during the regular season and playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts