Pretenders? Contenders? Eastern Conference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Pretenders? Contenders? Eastern Conference

I have the Jets, Isle, Sabres, and Panthers  OUT.  I'd have the Caps out too except for the Top Seed in the Southeast being not too far out of range, and they are more capable than the Jets and Panthers to have a hot streak with their talent. 

I just don't see the Flyers or Rangers not making it.  That leaves 2 teams currently in the Top 8 that need to get bounced.  Out of those, I see the Canes losing the SE to Tampa or Wash and thus, out of the Playoffs.  I also see the Sens not getting in with Karlson out.  Wow, that leaves the Laffs and Habs both in--two teams I would have not predicted at the beginnning of the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Re: Pretenders? Contenders? Eastern Conference

In response to lucdufour's comment:

I have the Jets, Isle, Sabres, and Panthers  OUT.  I'd have the Caps out too except for the Top Seed in the Southeast being not too far out of range, and they are more capable than the Jets and Panthers to have a hot streak with their talent. 

I just don't see the Flyers or Rangers not making it.  That leaves 2 teams currently in the Top 8 that need to get bounced.  Out of those, I see the Canes losing the SE to Tampa or Wash and thus, out of the Playoffs.  I also see the Sens not getting in with Karlson out.  Wow, that leaves the Laffs and Habs both in--two teams I would have not predicted at the beginnning of the year.

I Don't think the Leafs will keep it up

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I see the Flyers and Rangers in, Ottawa and Toronto out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I love that we have 3 games to make up 3 points for first place in the East.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I see the Flyers and Rangers in, Ottawa and Toronto out.

Would agree with you

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

don't see toronto keeping it up. 

is markov gets hurt, there is no telling what the habs do. they could plummet. 

i can completely see philly not making it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I wonder if Buffalo will get a  coaching-change bump?  I doubt it would be enough, they are just too far behind now.

In terms of results against other divisions, the Northeast is the strongest division in the league right now.  Given the unbalanced nature of the schedule, in-division points may be tough to earn for the NE teams you list, while teams that get to beat up on some of the conference's lesser members (the southeast) may be at an advantage.  I could see Toronto and Ottawa falling out while Washington and Tampa both make it.  

In terms of percentage of the season player, we are well past the point where Thanksgiving normally falls.  That's usually taken as the point after which playoff contenders don't change much.  I wonder if that's true in this shortened season, too?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Whoever gets Iggy and Alfedsson for 2nd round picks will be a lock, probably Cup favorites.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't know if I'm buying Carolina yet.  I think Tampa is better, and if the Canes get knocked out of the division lead, they're fighting for the 7/8 spots.  It sounds to me like Skinner could be out for a long time too.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I don't think Montreal will be as good as they have been so far either, although they're almost certain to get in.

The Rangers should take Toronto's spot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I say Tampa's goaltending doesn't hold up or it is worse than the Lufas. Tip of the hat to Ottawa bu they will not hold on. Winnipeg just doesn't have the depth in scoring to make a run at The Loafs (this name is so awesome Wheat!).

So it is New York, Philly and yes you guessed it the Loafs finally get in becuase the bottom 5 in th East just didn't get the memo about "The Sprint" or have not had to listen to Brick on NESN say every night "Points are at a Premium".

If Skinners concussion keeps him out for a prolonged time the Canes could be in a bit of trouble. I think Rutherford does get permission to go out n get some help for depth though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I really think only one team will make it out of the SE - whoever grabs the division title. As much as I wish it would be, I just can't see that team being the Jets, and the fact that Redmond just got rushed into surgery doesn't make me more optimistic about their chances.

Philly has played the most games in the league, yet are still languishing in 10th. Of the teams behind them, only Buffalo doesn't have enough games in hand to catch them based on that alone. Not sure they'll turn it around. If Ottawa makes it with all their injuries, Anderson should be considered for the Hart. Just a crazy gut feeling, but I think they'll hang in there, NYR will move into a playoff spot, with either TB or Carolina taking the lone spot out of the SE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I don't know if I'm buying Carolina yet.  I think Tampa is better, and if the Canes get knocked out of the division lead, they're fighting for the 7/8 spots.  It sounds to me like Skinner could be out for a long time too.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I don't think Montreal will be as good as they have been so far either, although they're almost certain to get in.

The Rangers should take Toronto's spot.

I'm with you on the wishful thinking Fletch, man i can't stand that team.Still remember Therrien's throat slashing jesture to the B's bench his first time around as the Habs coach speaking about bush league moves(such a classy organization), and i too don't think they are as good as they have been so far but i have learned over the years & years too never count them out. I can only hope they don't get in as i certainly won't miss them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I really think only one team will make it out of the SE - whoever grabs the division title. As much as I wish it would be, I just can't see that team being the Jets, and the fact that Redmond just got rushed into surgery doesn't make me more optimistic about their chances.

Philly has played the most games in the league, yet are still languishing in 10th. Not sure they'll turn it around. If Ottawa makes it with all their injuries, Anderson should be considered for the Hart. Just a crazy gut feeling, but I think they'll hang in there, NYR will move into a playoff spot, with either TB or Carolina taking the lone spot out of the SE.

If you look at it another way they are tied for 8th. I think when they get Hartnell back and you just know Holmgren will make a move at the deadline or before, they will get in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm with you on the wishful thinking Fletch, man i can't stand that team.Still remember Therrien's throat slashing jesture to the B's bench his first time around as the Habs coach speaking about bush league moves(such a classy organization), and i too don't think they are as good as they have been so far but i have learned over the years & years too never count them out. I can only hope they don't get in as i certainly won't miss them.

I would - the playoffs are always more exciting and intense when they include a Bruins/Habs series.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I would - the playoffs are always more exciting and intense when they include a Bruins/Habs series.

I sort of like it that their on a 20 year Stanley Cup drought, and i hope it goes for another 20 at least.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If you look at it another way they are tied for 8th. I think when they get Hartnell back and you just know Holmgren will make a move at the deadline or before, they will get in.

Hard to look at it that way when everyone they're chasing has games in hand. NYR and TB both have 17, but have three in hand, TO andOttawa are three up with one in hand - Boston has 5! in hand, Pitts, Habs and Devils are pulling away wih fewer games played. Philly is not in a good spot right now. Heck, even Washington in 15th spot has enough games in hand to catch them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I sort of like it that their on a 20 year Stanley Cup drought, and i hope it goes for another 20 at least.

Hey, I'm not hoping they win, just that they make it so the Bruins can knock them out ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Philly has played the most games in the league, yet are still languishing in 10th. Of the teams behind them, only Buffalo doesn't have enough games in hand to catch them based on that alone. Not sure they'll turn it around. If Ottawa makes it with all their injuries, Anderson should be considered for the Hart. Just a crazy gut feeling, but I think they'll hang in there, NYR will move into a playoff spot, with either TB or Carolina taking the lone spot out of the SE.

what about brian burkes abortion north of the border? or was u leaving the maple leafs off saying it all red ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold's comment:

what about brian burkes abortion north of the border? or was u leaving the maple leafs off saying it all red ?

I think they'll make it - they can't choke halfway through the season every single year, can they?

My guess at the moment would be

1)Boston

2)NJ

3)Tampa

4)Pittsburgh

5)Habs

6)Rangers

7)Leafs

8)Ottawa

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold's comment:

I guess he's taken a job as a pro scout with the Anaheim Ducks, so he can leave the Laffs with nothing but fond memories.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

My guess at the moment would be

1)Boston

2)NJ

3)Tampa

4)Pittsburgh

5)Habs

6)Rangers

7)Leafs

8)Ottawa

[/QUOTE]

Red, I have the same teams except for the Flyers over the Sens.  There is probably a better chance, due to each inner division foe playing each other 5 times and out-of-division foe 3 times, that the 2nd place SE team gets in due to the imbalance.  For example, your list and mine both have 4 teams out of 5 from the same division.  Barring a lot of overtime extra points, there may not be enough points out there for 4th team in the strong division to overcome the 2nd team from the weakest division.     

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Whoever gets Iggy and Alfedsson for 2nd round picks will be a lock, probably Cup favorites.

Now you're just making fun of us:)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Red, I have the same teams except for the Flyers over the Sens.  There is probably a better chance, due to each inner division foe playing each other 5 times and out-of-division foe 3 times, that the 2nd place SE team gets in due to the imbalance.  For example, your list and mine both have 4 teams out of 5 from the same division.  Barring a lot of overtime extra points, there may not be enough points out there for 4th team in the strong division to overcome the 2nd team from the weakest division.     

[/QUOTE]
    You could have a good point about the weighted division play luc.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Sorry folks, I just don't see Ottawa making it with their current injury situation.