Preview Mags

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Preview Mags

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Had a quick look at some of the Preview offerings this year.  I typically buy one, though, in the era of internet everything, there's often very little that out-does what NHL.com will do for you.

I did see one piece that I thought was amusing in light of NAS's A Little Tired of #37 thread.  I think it was the Hockey News had "Best 50 Players Right Now." Lucic, Krejci, Chara and Rask all made the list, and Patrice Bergeron came in at #7 or #8. The blurb underneath his name read something like: "If Patrice Bergeron isn't Canada's second-line centre at the Sochi Olympics, there should be a national inquiry...."

Better get NAS a vomit bag.

This wasn't some moronic hack, either.  It went under Ken Campbell's by-line.

I reiterated that here on a thread pf my own about #37 being #2. Most never acknowledged it which is fine, but a center's intinal role on the team is to gain possesion off the draw. There's few Canadian ones that have been consistently in the 60% plus range for as long as Bergeron has. Also, Not one team Canada center has a not only a SC winning goal, but a WC winner a WJC winner & a Spengler cup winner. One other center has a OG winner & that's the #1 center in arguable the world.  He's also the only Canadian center to be tied as the franchis'se OTGW's leader. Sounds like a pretty good gamebreaker to me!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

You can label him however you'd like but I'm comfortable with Bergeron going head to head in a 7 game series against any center in the world. We've all seen him in that scenario against some of the world's elite and I've yet to see him get outplayed by any of them. You can make an argument for Toews but that's certainly debatable. If anything, most around the forum are guilty of undervaluing Bruins players. I can't even count the number of times I've read that the Bruins have no stars.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

Thats about as good as you can put it. Well said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

I get where you are coming from Nas but in this case it would be 2nd line centre on perhaps the greatest team in the world, at least on paper.

Bri, he's from Quebec.  That's in Canada.  He's not an American.

Keep up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Secondly, I agree with dez that we underrate a lot of Bruin players, not just Bergeron.  I still think that Chara is the MVP of this team.  They go nowhere without him.  Rask is a the top-5 elite goalie that the Bruins never had until the past 5 years.  Krejci is the top center on this team and has been an unbelieveable playoff performer.  No way do the Bruins get past Toronto without Lucic being a possessed animal in the 3rd period of Game 7.  Not to mention a few other guys.  Bergeron is great, but he doesn't stand out as the star of this team to me.  He is one of a half dozen 'star-ish' players.  He thrives in that role -- a complementary player who comes up big.

Fletch, what a difference this is from up here in the G. T. A. where outside of the last couple of seasons, the Leafs have floundered while their fans and some Leaf-centric media outlets overrated their roster. 

I wasn't a poster back in 08/09 but I used to read this board.  When the Bruins were something like a gawdy 39-6 by January of that year I remember there was a wait-and-see vibe on here instead of the chest-beating that would likely occur in Leafland.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I get where you are coming from Nas but in this case it would be 2nd line centre on perhaps the greatest team in the world, at least on paper.

Bri, he's from Quebec.  That's in Canada.  He's not an American.

Keep up.

I expected that.  Too funny. I will say that the U.S. has the best goaltending and a good team as well but it is the goaltending that makes them scary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Secondly, I agree with dez that we underrate a lot of Bruin players, not just Bergeron.  I still think that Chara is the MVP of this team.  They go nowhere without him.  Rask is a the top-5 elite goalie that the Bruins never had until the past 5 years.  Krejci is the top center on this team and has been an unbelieveable playoff performer.  No way do the Bruins get past Toronto without Lucic being a possessed animal in the 3rd period of Game 7.  Not to mention a few other guys.  Bergeron is great, but he doesn't stand out as the star of this team to me.  He is one of a half dozen 'star-ish' players.  He thrives in that role -- a complementary player who comes up big.

Fletch, what a difference this is from up here in the G. T. A. where outside of the last couple of seasons, the Leafs have floundered while their fans and some Leaf-centric media outlets overratedtheir roster. 

I wasn't a poster back in 08/09 but I used to read this board.  When the Bruins were something like a gawdy 39-6 by January of that year I remember there was a wait-and-see vibe on here instead of the chest-beating that would likely occur in Leafland.

RHO, it seems to me Leafland overrates,overhypes Bozak and Kadri. Two good young players, but to hear/read how some Toronto people talk about them is crazy...I'd add Gardiner to that list as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Finland has great goaltending too with Rinne and Rask.  Canada needs somebody to step up and grab the number one goaltender job.  I think Luongo and Price will battle it out. I am torn because I think a hot Price would be the best option for Canada but that means Montreal will likely be doing well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Another example of the recent uptick in Bergeron raving

After saying that he was a lock for the team, TSN panel made their projected roster and had Bergeron as 14th forward.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430639#YourCallTop

A complete freakout in the comment section, by fans of all teams, then ensued.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to red75's comment:

After saying that he was a lock for the team, TSN panel made their projected roster and had Bergeron as 14th forward.

I was one of those freaking out.  He should be a lock.  Chris Kunitz - please.  I know Canda is deep down the centre but Patrice can easily take key face-offs, kill penalities and play wing 5 on 5.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was one of those freaking out.  He should be a lock.  Chris Kunitz - please.  I know Canda is deep down the centre but Patrice can easily take key face-offs, kill penalities and play wing 5 on 5.

I wouldn't read much into it - three of the members of that panel, Dreger, McKenzie, and LeBrun had him pegged as a lock for 2nd line RW 3 days ago. Don't know where this change in prediction came from.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I like my provisional version above, with Bergeron as the #2 C, better than that TSN lineup. 

I have Bergeron, Hall, Perry, Thornton, St. Louis and Neal.  They have Nash, Kunitz, Carter, Sharp, Giroux and Couture. Even doing a Bergeron-free top 12, I'd put Tavares at C and Giroux on his wing, but I wouldn't add Kunitz, Nash, Carter.  Couture and Sharp are good players, but I wouldn't be adding them at the expense of any of the others I have. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I wouldn't read much into it - three of the members of that panel, Dreger, McKenzie, and LeBrun had him pegged as a lock for 2nd line RW 3 days ago. Don't know where this change in prediction came from.

Well, if McKenzie says it, it's TRUE!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not saying it's true - just saying it's screwy. Three fifths of that panel had him as 2nd RW 3 days ago, and today they have him as #14. It seems like they just threw darts at the wall both times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not saying it's true - just saying it's screwy. Three fifths of that panel had him as 2nd RW 3 days ago, and today they have him as #14. It seems like they just threw darts at the wall both times.

Sounds like McKenzie at the trade deadline!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Yes I thought a number of them were high on Bergy so in order to get a consensus perhaps they had to agree to have him as one of the extra forwards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

RHO, it seems to me Leafland overrates,overhypes Bozak and Kadri. Two good young players, but to hear/read how some Toronto people talk about them is crazy...I'd add Gardiner to that list as well.

You're right.  Been like that for so long, it seems like it's become almost second nature to do so, kel.  I can remember how much interest was created over such Leaf illuminaries as Bob Neely, Gary Nylund, Jim Benning, G Allan Bester and G Peter Ing. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

You're right.  Been like that for so long, it seems like it's become almost second nature to do so, kel.  I can remember how much interest was created over such Leaf illuminaries as Bob Neely, Gary Nylund, Jim Benning, G Allan Bester and G Peter Ing. 

That's why it's interesting hearing from you about Leafland RHO.  It's a whole different world.  Especially since I'm used to hearing about the Avs who sit squarely in 4th position in the local sports market.  So little hype.  I can't imagine MacKinnon in Toronto right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's why it's interesting hearing from you about Leafland RHO.  It's a whole different world.  Especially since I'm used to hearing about the Avs who sit squarely in 4th position in the local sports market.  So little hype.  I can't imagine MacKinnon in Toronto right now.

At least you get to hear about the Avs.  The only mention of any hockey at all I get down here is when my SSO rep calls me about some stupid promotion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

At least you get to hear about the Avs.  The only mention of any hockey at all I get down here is when my SSO rep calls me about some stupid promotion.

That's how it is here in Utah. The only mention of hockey is hidden in the box scores in the back of the sports section.

Sections
Shortcuts