Preview Mags

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Preview Mags

Had a quick look at some of the Preview offerings this year.  I typically buy one, though, in the era of internet everything, there's often very little that out-does what NHL.com will do for you.

I did see one piece that I thought was amusing in light of NAS's A Little Tired of #37 thread.  I think it was the Hockey News had "Best 50 Players Right Now." Lucic, Krejci, Chara and Rask all made the list, and Patrice Bergeron came in at #7 or #8. The blurb underneath his name read something like: "If Patrice Bergeron isn't Canada's second-line centre at the Sochi Olympics, there should be a national inquiry...."

Better get NAS a vomit bag.

This wasn't some moronic hack, either.  It went under Ken Campbell's by-line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Preview Mags

Bergy didnt even play in 2010.  And given his injury status i'd be surprised if he even challenges for the top 6.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ugh.  I know he's a great second line center.

Enough!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

Bergy didnt even play in 2010.  And given his injury status i'd be surprised if he even challenges for the top 6.

Maybe you missed 2010. Bergeron played through an injury and won Gold.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=60524

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He didn't log huge minutes due to his groin pull, but they consistantly had him out on the 
    PK and for faceoffs in their own end.

The TSN panel with Duthie, Dreger, McKenzie and LeBrun actually have him slotted in as a lock on, a lttle surprisingly, 2nd line RW. I would think with his faceoff percentage, you'd want him down the middle somehow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Bergeron is a perfect complement to a star-laden Olympic team, that with all of the elite scorers might actually be a little short on the intangible qualities that Bergeron brings.  So, I think he's a good choice for the Olympic team.  But with Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, and Taveres, where exactly did you slot him in?  And how exactly do you determine he's a #2 center on that team?

As an American, I'd feel pretty happy about Bergeron bumping the likes of Tavares and Stamkos off the Canadian Olympic team.  

I think Bergeron will find a way onto the team as a 4th line center or a winger, but everyone does seem to be getting a little carried away with the guy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

made the list, and Patrice Bergeron came in at #7 or #8. The blurb underneath his name read something like: "If Patrice Bergeron isn't Canada's second-line centre at the Sochi Olympics, there should be a national inquiry...."

Better get NAS a vomit bag.

Yikes ! he is probably my favorite Bruin but 2nd line center ? that is if the 2nd line will be Team Canada's shut down line. Crosby is no1 for sure, then the list begins, Getzlaf, Toews, Stamkos etc...
    Is it me not trying to be to bias and therefore under value Bergeron ? I mean Twitter hasn't stopped all summer praising Bergeron , on and on and on ...  I mean it was courageous what he did playing hurt, in the end he was a non-factor in the game .  I would help build a statue next to Orr's had he scored the tying goal and the OT winner in game6  and Bruins eventually win the cup.  .... alright will not go there but Bergy is still my favorite player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I hate you all. How dare you insult Patrice? I'm gonna go cry into my Bergeron face pillow now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Interesting how it's not just around here. EVERYWHERE this guy is getting a summertime tongue bath. Hey, he's my favorite player on the Bs as well...but look over random comment sections on TSN, Canucks fan pages, Toronto Sun,...wherever, and everyone drools over the guy.

He's become the poster child for "My not-obvious favo(u)rite Canadian player" for many. Great for him, I suppose. But it's kind of like seeing great musicians 4th row at the local watering hole one year, then they go and get popular and fans get stuck in 3rd balacony of the Superdome to see them a second time. I liked it better when only we knew how awesome the guy is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I could see Stamkos and Tavares playing wing before Bergeron.  Neither is exactly deficient as a playmaker, but they both score more often than they assist, and neither is over 50% as a faceoff man.  You have to think winning faceoffs will be even more important on the big ice given how easy it is to rag the puck and just play a possession game. Getzlaf's another who's under 50%.  Staal is in the 52% range, and JT Superstar is over 58%. 

I'm sure this will have its own thread at some point, but for the sake of argument, IF Bergeron is the second line C, I think the lines look like this:

Stamkos-Crosby-Neal

Tavares-Bergeron-Staal

Hall-Toews-St.Louis

Perry-Thornton-Getzlaf

Duchene and Lucic (or Jordan Staal and Marchand) would round out the 14 forwards.

Not to keep feeding NAS's aversion, but in looking for the list of invitees, I ran across a story in the National Post that said Bergeron is one of six forwards considered a "lock" along with Crosby, Toews, Tavares, Stamkos and Giroux.  They had him as the fourth C, though behind Crosby, Toews and Tavares.

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Interesting how it's not just around here. EVERYWHERE this guy is getting a summertime tongue bath. Hey, he's my favorite player on the Bs as well...but look over random comment sections on TSN, Canucks fan pages, Toronto Sun,...wherever, and everyone drools over the guy.

He's become the poster child for "My not-obvious favo(u)rite Canadian player" for many. Great for him, I suppose. But it's kind of like seeing great musicians 4th row at the local watering hole one year, then they go and get popular and fans get stuck in 3rd balacony of the Superdome to see them a second time. I liked it better when only we knew how awesome the guys is.

Catch-up factor.  Guy was under the radar since his concussion recovery year, but a second cup run in three years finally broke the dam on him getting his due.  Now he's the flavour of the month as people get in on the "you probably don't know him..." schtick.

Bergeron face pillow - funny.  Like those creepy stories of the guys who marry their cartoon sex pillows.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not sure how much should be read into this but in last night's press conference the five players made available were Crosby, Louongo, Nash, Bergeron, and Weber.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsalways. Show bruinsalways's posts

One of the best all round players in the League,with a healthy Bergeron Bruins beat Chicago for cup last season,if you guys can put Bergeron down,wouldn't call yourself a Bruin fan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to bruinsalways' comment:

One of the best all round players in the League,with a healthy Bergeron Bruins beat Chicago for cup last season,if you guys can put Bergeron down,wouldn't call yourself a Bruin fan.

I dont think anyone is putting him down.  I think people are saying with a team so stacked at center, to say he should be a 'lock' at 2nd line center is kind of silly. He's competing against guys like Toews, Crosby, Staal, Thornton,Getzlaf etc...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not a one of us put him down - we're just noting that lately the media and a bunch of non-Bruins fans are acting like he's the the magical reincarnation of Howie Morenz or something. He's not - he's my favourite non-European player in the NHL (a certain Finnish Flash and a D from Slovakia are personal favourites ahead of him), but we can still maintain perspective. Is he a star? Yes. Is he the greatest thing to happen to hockey since the invention of Ice? No.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsalways. Show bruinsalways's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

In response to bruinsalways' comment:

I dont think anyone is putting him down.  I think people are saying with a team so stacked at center, to say he should be a 'lock' at 2nd line center is kind of silly. He's competing against guys like Toews, Crosby, Staal, Thornton,Getzlaf etc...

Yeah I was probably to critical,everone is entitled to there own oppinions.I apologize

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You can label him however you'd like but I'm comfortable with Bergeron going head to head in a 7 game series against any center in the world. We've all seen him in that scenario against some of the world's elite and I've yet to see him get outplayed by any of them. You can make an argument for Toews but that's certainly debatable. If anything, most around the forum are guilty of undervaluing Bruins players. I can't even count the number of times I've read that the Bruins have no stars.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

You can label him however you'd like but I'm comfortable with Bergeron going head to head in a 7 game series against any center in the world. We've all seen him in that scenario against some of the world's elite and I've yet to see him get outplayed by any of them. You can make an argument for Toews but that's certainly debatable. If anything, most around the forum are guilty of undervaluing Bruins players. I can't even count the number of times I've read that the Bruins have no stars.

-Gerry Dee

I tend to agree with this.  My problem is also that I prefer Bergeron to remain underrated.  I know how good he is, and playing injured against Chicago or the right-place/right-time overtime goals aren't even what it's about.  I look at the two huge goals against Vanocuver in Game 7 and skating circles around the Sedins as his finest moment.  I don't think that he is as good as Crosby/Toews/Tavares/Stamkos but that's all the more reason to enjoy him on the Bruins -- he can play head to head with any of them in a big game.  If we put him on that level, then you'll have an inevitable backlash when he only puts up 62 points next season.  He'll suddenly be overrated.  The role of the quiet 2nd line center, who doesn't wow anyone with points but comes up big whenever you need him, is what Bergeron is.  Try to make him Crosby II and you'll be disappointed.

Secondly, I agree with dez that we underrate a lot of Bruin players, not just Bergeron.  I still think that Chara is the MVP of this team.  They go nowhere without him.  Rask is a the top-5 elite goalie that the Bruins never had until the past 5 years.  Krejci is the top center on this team and has been an unbelieveable playoff performer.  No way do the Bruins get past Toronto without Lucic being a possessed animal in the 3rd period of Game 7.  Not to mention a few other guys.  Bergeron is great, but he doesn't stand out as the star of this team to me.  He is one of a half dozen 'star-ish' players.  He thrives in that role -- a complementary player who comes up big.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It is one of several recent examples of questionable (while delightful) Canadian journalism...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/08/26/Reporter-Goes-Topless-To-Prove-Point

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Ugh.  I know he's a great second line center.

Enough!

I get where you are coming from Nas but in this case it would be 2nd line centre on perhaps the greatest team in the world, at least on paper.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Not sure how much should be read into this but in last night's press conference the five players made available were Crosby, Louongo, Nash, Bergeron, and Weber.

I may be wrong Red but I am going to read into this that this means that Bergy is considered pretty close to a lock.  Three of the other four are locks and Nash probably is too although I disagree with him being a lock. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

-Gerry Dee

I tend to agree with this.  My problem is also that I prefer Bergeron to remain underrated.  I know how good he is, and playing injured against Chicago or the right-place/right-time overtime goals aren't even what it's about.  I look at the two huge goals against Vanocuver in Game 7 and skating circles around the Sedins as his finest moment.  I don't think that he is as good as Crosby/Toews/Tavares/Stamkos but that's all the more reason to enjoy him on the Bruins -- he can play head to head with any of them in a big game.  If we put him on that level, then you'll have an inevitable backlash when he only puts up 62 points next season.  He'll suddenly be overrated.  The role of the quiet 2nd line center, who doesn't wow anyone with points but comes up big whenever you need him, is what Bergeron is.  Try to make him Crosby II and you'll be disappointed.

Secondly, I agree with dez that we underrate a lot of Bruin players, not just Bergeron.  I still think that Chara is the MVP of this team.  They go nowhere without him.  Rask is a the top-5 elite goalie that the Bruins never had until the past 5 years.  Krejci is the top center on this team and has been an unbelieveable playoff performer.  No way do the Bruins get past Toronto without Lucic being a possessed animal in the 3rd period of Game 7.  Not to mention a few other guys.  Bergeron is great, but he doesn't stand out as the star of this team to me.  He is one of a half dozen 'star-ish' players.  He thrives in that role -- a complementary player who comes up big.

I agree Fletch but against Chicago when Bergeron got hurt that was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Now that could have been because Z was already hurting and wasn't playing at his usual level as well.  When Bergy could no longer win draws or backcheck like he normally does, it left more room for guys like Kane, and the Bruins still almost sent it to game 7.  That goes back more to your point about Boston having a number of starish players sharing the load.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The whole "stars vs. star-ish vs. no stars" thing is part and parcel of the debate about getting a "proven sniper" etc. etc. - the threads that pop up ever year around the deadline or July 1 where people propose that the Bruins trade Krejci for player X who is someone more proven because he has more regular season points.  It's all about stat-o-metrics and appearing at the top of the scoring charts.  Meanwhile, Krejci has led the playoffs in scoring two of the last three years.  His 26 points last year was 7 more than Kane or Lucic.  It's the highest total since Briere led the league with 30 in 2010, and it's the biggest gap between first and second going back beyond 1197.  In 2009, Crosby and Malkin both outpointed Zetterberg by 7+, but Malkin only outdid Crosby by 5.  And there haven't been that many 26+ point playoffs in that time either - maybe 7 or 8?  That's pretty impressive, especially if you look at the company he's keeping.

Are you not entertained?!?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

The whole "stars vs. star-ish vs. no stars" thing is part and parcel of the debate about getting a "proven sniper" etc. etc. - the threads that pop up ever year around the deadline or July 1 where people propose that the Bruins trade Krejci for player X who is someone more proven because he has more regular season points.  It's all about stat-o-metrics and appearing at the top of the scoring charts.  Meanwhile, Krejci has led the playoffs in scoring two of the last three years.  His 26 points last year was 7 more than Kane or Lucic.  It's the highest total since Briere led the league with 30 in 2010, and it's the biggest gap between first and second going back beyond 1197.  In 2009, Crosby and Malkin both outpointed Zetterberg by 7+, but Malkin only outdid Crosby by 5.  And there haven't been that many 26+ point playoffs in that time either - maybe 7 or 8?  That's pretty impressive, especially if you look at the company he's keeping.

^And that's a long time.  Although I think you forget the season put forth by Simon Fiddlesworth XIII in the Year of Our Lord 1279...no?  Single handedly beat the Ottomans despite a notorious mead addiction.

All agreed though.  That's a big part of the Bergeron hype saturation to me -- nobody talks about Krejci.  Led all scorers when they won the Cup and has definitively proven that it was not a fluke.  Losing him against Philly in 2010 was a sampling of how this team does without him.

Love Bergeron as a piece of the puzzle, not as the guy on the mantle.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts