Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal

The guy has to be thinking -- at the rate he's going -- by the time the 7th year rolls around -- he's gonna hate the Habs organization more than most Bruin fans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Key word in all of this is "rumor", or for my Canadian friends, "rumour".

But if there was a shred of truth to it, I'm sure Carey is waiting to make sure Gauthier is ridden out of town on a rail first. My God, look at the players and those contracts. Good thing Pierre was born in Montreal or he'd already be on the dole. He's a regular Nero.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal : Epic turnover.  If your name isnt PK or Price you better keep a phone near by.  They have no blue chip prospects that really can change their fortunes.  Gauthier and Randy are dead men walking.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

True enough.  When the language issue and owner Molson's fan statement was hot news it was like there was a firing watch here in Toronto for the GM.  THE FAN 590 had several Montreal correspondents conveying not only their take but supposedly that of Hab fans.  Most of the comments I heard from these reporters seem to be that Gauthier had to go. 

At the time Kypreos on Hockey Central assured viewers that thoughts running through the minds of players in the Hab dressing room after hearing Geoff Molson and Gauthier's apologetic comments regarding the importance of French language in a Canadiens' coach would be "I don't have to listen to you because you're gone."  Not a good situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]This argument of so and so hasnt won anything is for people who dont know anything.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

In sports, you get paid to do something, not because you have done something. 

Salary = get it done tonight

Bonuses = you got it done this season

If players got paid for the numbers of rings or trophies they won, Steve Stamkos would be making league minimum and Shawn Thornton would be at 5 years, $30M.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal : At least he had won a Vezina.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Winning to me is at the team level of success.  But yes he did.  So did Jim Carey

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] But if there was a shred of truth to it, I'm sure Carey is waiting to make sure Gauthier is ridden out of town on a rail first.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Habs:  Hey Carey, we'd like to give you $49,000,000.

Price:  Not yet.  I don't like the guy that sits in that office.

Habs:  Carey, I'm that guy.

Price:  Oh, right.  Well, that's a rock and a hard place, huh?  Got a pen?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Or how about

Habs:  Carey, we want you for $49,000,000.

Price:  Not until that guy is gone.

Habs:  Fine, he's gone.

Price:  Where do I sign?

Habs:  Ask the new guy.

New Guy:  Carey, we'd like to offer you two years, $4,000,000.

Price:  Gauthier offered me...

New Guy:  He was an idiot.  That's why he got fired.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda.  Sign here please.

My point?  No hockey player will turn down $49,000,000 to play...well...for any reason on Earth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Point taken, but at the same time, why hurry to sign up to be first mate on the Titanic? If an offer was even really made or purportedly refused, why should he just blindly accept it right now? Barring injury, he's entirely in the driver's seat. He's gonna get his money somewhere. I know it's an obscene amount but if he's an RFA next year, the team continues to circle the drain, and Peter Budaj is the only other goalie Les Habitants have, he and his agent would be stupid to not see where the franchise was headed before signing on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Luongo balked at  4 year 30 million offer from Florida when he was a few years older than Price, he was traded to Vancouver the next year.  He then signed a 27 million four year deal.  Logically, Carey Price is leveraging, as he could also be seeking a better deal than 49 million 7 year offer!  Using Luongo's comparative, Montreal could trade and build, I doubt it! Yet, I would not have bet Luongo would have been traded in 2006. Media leeks are a wonderful thing when negotiating a contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal : Winning to me is at the team level of success.  But yes he did.  So did Jim Carey
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Yes he did and thats who i think Price will turn into in the long run, "Jim" Carey Price. Well maybe not that bad, but you get the idea. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Point taken, but at the same time, why hurry to sign up to be first mate on the Titanic? If an offer was even really made or purportedly refused, why should he just blindly accept it right now? Barring injury, he's entirely in the driver's seat. He's gonna get his money somewhere. I know it's an obscene amount but if he's an RFA next year, the team continues to circle the drain, and Peter Budaj is the only other goalie Les Habitants have, he and his agent would be stupid to not see where the franchise was headed before signing on.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Because when someone offers you $49,000,000, you say "yes".  Quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal : Because when someone offers you $49,000,000, you say "yes".  Quickly.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I beleive there is no truth to this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Last year was the first year that Price played great in the post season for Montreal.  If they weren't playing the Bruin's they would have gone past the first round, and perhaps further, with ease.  

While it's true that he hasn't really won anything, think back to last year's playoff round with Montreal and how our Bruins really had a tough time scoring goals.    If Ryder didn't score breaking down the wing and again later in OT in Montreal in game 4 the B's likely wouldn't have made it past game 6 of the first round, and Montreal would have had Price as their series MVP.

That being said, 7 years for 7 Million...   Too steep for me.   I'd give him the 7 x 7 only if there was an option for the team to walk away after years 5 and 6, and if there was no NTC included.    Can NHL contracts be structured to give the team an out clause like that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

7 mill is a lot of money to turn down, but I would take less money to go play on a team that is moving in the right direction or actually has a chance to win a cup. SC is the hardest of all sports to win. So, I get the younger players, looking to grab the big paycheck. But to keep losing, while making the big bucks has to be hard to cope with. I can only imagine how Nash feels playing here in Columbus.....God they awful and have been for so long. That would wear me down and I would be ready to get out of there. Not saying the Habs have been awful, but things arent looking good right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Sure $49 is a lot.  It's the same contract Rinne will have, though.  So it is not out of line with what Price brings to the table.  I would expect Price (or perhaps more accurately his agent) is confident Price can get that kind of money no matter what happens.  He may feel no rush to sign the dotted line.

Still, the "rumor" tag is probably the main thing here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

If some one offers me 49 dollars, I say yes. Same principle differ value.

Maybe Price will see what the habs are going to do with the team. Good goalie bad situation but money is hard to come by. Maybe one of the fans called 911 and wants Price charge for fraudulence.LOL

I just glad the Bruins are not in turmoil but every team gets its turn. And the Bruins already had their moment pass history of the Joe Thornton/O'connel soap opera satire.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I will stand by my opinion that no chance that was offered and no chance he would turn that down.  Some on here believe he is a flash in the pan.  I say no way.  He has that mold of a Cam Ward in my eyes.  2014 he could be the starting goalie for Canada.  I will say its Fleury but Price will be in the mix.
    49 million in the hockey world is mega bucks.  You quickly grab a pen, push your agent outta the way and nerviusly giggle as you sign the f-ing contract.  You then excuse yourself, quickly run to the bathroom and do an arm pump and scream.  You dont turn that money down.   Goalies have been really left in the cold in recent yrs in terms of wanting long term deals and settling for short ones. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Philly would jump at the chance at signing this kid for 7 mill. They would make it happen. Nothing wrong with Price testing the market and then making a decision.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Price has put up solid numbers behind an atrocious defensive team. As much as we rag on him, he's been the constant through Montreal's mediocre-to-poor play since 2008.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Price has put up solid numbers behind an atrocious defensive team. As much as we rag on him, he's been the constant through Montreal's mediocre-to-poor play since 2008.
    He may not get as much, but you can bet that he'll get something close from a team that is heading in the right direction. Montreal is looking like they're headed down the wrong path for the next 2-3 years AT LEAST.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]Price has put up solid numbers behind an atrocious defensive team. As much as we rag on him, he's been the constant through Montreal's mediocre-to-poor play since 2008.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

This sounds very similar to another goalie that just made a move... Vokoun. How's he doing now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sounds about right, but maybe he just wants out of Montreal. It's not always about the money, and I wouldn't blame him if he did want out of there. Goalie for the Montreal Canadiens in one of the most scrutinized jobs (though great paying) in Canada.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal : This sounds very similar to another goalie that just made a move... Vokoun. How's he doing now?
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Vokoun is in his 30's. Price is a young star.  Bad example unless u care to clarify a little.  Hate the Habs all you want.  Price is an allstar goalie on a junk team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal : This sounds very similar to another goalie that just made a move... Vokoun. How's he doing now?
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I dont see any similarity between Vokoun and price other than they are both goalies.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Price turning down $7 mil for 7 years in Montreal:[QUOTE]If anything, perhaps he wants to see what is done with the team in the off-season before commiting to anything. Can't blame him there. Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I agree and I wouldn't want to be a part of the rebuild especially when the media can get a GM to apologize to the fan base, still astonished when I read that. Still laughing when Price had to to tell the media in Montreal to "Chill out" when he got creamed in a pre-season game against the Bs then almost beats the Stanley Cup champs in a 7 game series.

Sections
Shortcuts