Proof positive that Verizon is dumbing down non HD NHL channel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Proof positive that Verizon is dumbing down non HD NHL channel

If people can stop talking about politics for a second.

So I'm catching some old Stanley cup game Oilers v. Flyers from yesteryear (1980's) and I'm noticing how cruddy the image is on NHL HD.  So I go to the non-HD station and it is so bad that I couldn't even read the names off the player's jersies.

Obviously they only have one film of that SCF and it wasn't HD. 

So how is it that the image is so much worse on the non-HD station?
    It should be the same on hd and non hd.

It's not right.  Consumer is getting shafted once again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Proof positive that Verizon is dumbing down non HD NHL channel

Just get Comcast.  Then you can watch Felger and Amonte after the game.  It's better than what NESN has currently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

A crappy source will always look much better on the HD channel than the SD one.  Not sure why exactly, but I've had HD for 7 years now and that's always been the case.

I've also noticed the differences are more noticeable on LCD TV's than Plasma's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I remember tv from the 80's and it wasn't that bad.

Matter of fact, I can remember when Bruins  games only were in black and white and it reasonably pretty sharp.

SD on the NHL channel is ridiculous on Verizon, it's like cave paintings for God's sake.

From everyone I know and have heard, Comcast is worse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

In Response to Re: Proof positive that Verizon is dumbing down non HD NHL channel:
    From everyone I know and have heard, Comcast is worse.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Yea, Comcast is not good for hockey.  I'm not sure what the other providers are like, but the Center Ice package is completely unwatchable.  I'd be more than willing to pay the $180 or whatever for all the games, but there is one HD channel in the package (which looks great), and the rest of the game look like 12 year old Quicktime videos.  I check it out each year during the free previews hoping they finally improved it, and it's still much worse than even the analog 480i channels.  If you think the SD NHL channel looks bad, those channels are much, much worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Non HD Channels on a HD TV never come as good as they did on a regualar TV. I think thats the sacrifice you make for such clarity for a HD show on a HD TV.

I think I said that right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You did Kel.  I agree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

So how come the Olympics are coming in on the SD stations pretty reasonable in comparison to the same broadcast on HD?

But then on the NHL network it's horrible in SD?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Proof positive that Verizon is dumbing down non HD NHL channel:
    So how come the Olympics are coming in on the SD stations pretty reasonable in comparison to the same broadcast on HD? But then on the NHL network it's horrible in SD?
    Posted by BadHabitude

The Olympics are probably shot in both formats, whereas the NHL is probably only shot in HD.

SD anything is junk these days and is being phased out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

I think it has to do with old video being saved in formats that deteriorate over time, which is why those old games look worse than they used to. its the same with old movies

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You answered our own question BadHab the film is old and there was no HD technology to film it back then. It is tough to watch those great old games on a big screen and on an HD capable network cause it just doesn't work has nothing to do with your provider.

HD is meant for live sporting events and bad azz movies on a big screen!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

You answered our own question BadHab the film is old and there was no HD technology to film it back then. It is tough to watch those great old games on a big screen and on an HD capable network cause it just doesn't work has nothing to do with your provider. HD is meant for live sporting events and bad azz movies on a big screen!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I'dd add Cinemax to that list! Or Skinemax whatever people refer to it as.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I think you can also add that your frame of reference in 1980 was all you had.  It looked great because you had the latest and greatest for 1980.  If you could time travel and watch your old wooden consol, 30 incher, you'd wonder how you could possibly read the names on the jerseys with that clunker. 

Sections
Shortcuts