Providence Baby Busts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Providence Baby Busts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts:
    In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : I like this thought ( as in team game ). For those who have played the game on any level the game is much simpler when surrounded by better teammates. You can concentrate on what you do best. If surrounded by lesser talent then it makes the game harder in trying to do things outside of your abilities to make up for the lack of skills of others.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Goal scorers can score goals no matter who is on their line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Goal scorers can score goals no matter who is on their line.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agree with this though I have found an exception.

Meet Andrew McKim

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3599

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : I agree with this though I have found an exception. Meet Andrew McKim http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3599
    Posted by kelvana33

I remember McKim in Providence and in Boston.  I'm not sure if this is an exception to the "goal scorers can score no matter who is on their line" as much as it shows that AHL talent doesn't always make NHL talent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : I remember McKim in Providence and in Boston.  I'm not sure if this is an exception to the "goal scorers can score no matter who is on their line" as much as it shows that AHL talent doesn't always make NHL talent.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I think this is the case here, as he seemed to score quite regular in junior and semi-pro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Goal scorers can score goals no matter who is on their line.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

And they score more goals with better linemates.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : And they score more goals with better linemates.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Obviously.  The point, in case you actually missed it (which I doubt you did), was that with poor linemates, great goal scorers can still get it done.  If a player can't score in the AHL, with AHL linemates against AHL defenses and AHL goaltending, there is little hope that he'll turn into an NHL scorer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I think my first novel on this site was asking if people trusted PC's drafting and scouting.  I think it was right after they picked Colborne - and everything you read about him was that he was a big, soft, rich kid with a bucket of talent but not enough grit.  I go "there" periodically.  Hamill's in Boston at least. Colborne was a tradeable asset - whatever else he was or will be, he was attractive enough that PC didn't have to give up someone else to get Kaberle.  Caron hasn't broken through - remember when he was on Bergeron's line?  With the exception of the kids from the last two years, the news on every other non 1st round PC pick gets worse and worse.  Button is getting bounced back and forth to Reading so they can sign NRTOs with a bunch of guys.  Randell?  He went back to Kitchener...not to the ECHL to play pro, to Junior.  Back.  To.  Junior.  MacDermid is a third liner in the AHL.  7th rounder Ben Sexton is the good news story - better than a p/g at Clarkson, but out for some reason.  Sauve's a diminishing asset, Arniel's a diminishing asset, Hutchinson is only a serviceable AHL backup, and Cross keeps dropping down every ranking of Bs prospects...below the guys I've already mentioned! PC needs a draft win beyond the windfall from the Leafs to prove he is managing that aspect of the organization well.  Otherwise, I will continue to think that that's his achilles heel and it will hurt when the organization starts losing some of the current core.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Ya, go easy on Randell , Fletch... We don't want another Kyle Clifford situation of too much, too soon with him... still Junior aged. Thorny's still doing his job. Randell will come along nicely in due course.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : A fourth round pick in 2008, this third year player has four goals and six assists in 44 games.  He'll be lucky to be surrounded by AHL talent full time next season.Posted by Not-A-Shot

2nd round pick not a 4th rounder and this is only his 2nd full season the AHL not 3rd get your facts straight. I don't consider the talent he has around him now to be considered AHL talent I consider it barley ECHL fill ins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Look at Marchand from a couple of years ago.  He's an NHL goal scorer, right?  Providence was terrible in '09-10.  34 games, 13-19-32.  In 34 games, he finished a mere 18 points out of the top of the scoring race.  Folks, that is what NHL players do in the AHL. It's so silly to look at a player with dead miserable stats in the AHL and think that, for some completely unknown reason, he'll make it to the NHL and stay there. Posted by Not-A-Shot

Brad Marchand                                   G       G      A      P
    2008-09     Providence Bruins     AHL     79      18     41    59

Max Sauve
    2010-11     Providence Bruins     AHL     61      21     17    38

Don't let any stats get in your way. How well did Marchand play his first few call ups in the NHL ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Obviously.  The point, in case you actually missed it (which I doubt you did), was that with poor linemates, great goal scorers can still get it done.  If a player can't score in the AHL, with AHL linemates against AHL defenses and AHL goaltending, there is little hope that he'll turn into an NHL scorer.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about any of the Providence players turning into great goal scorers. I'd settle for any of them turning into solid role players. That's my hopes anyways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This information is fun to read. My previous entry was more stream-of-cosciousness musings, than anything specific, mainly because I don't get to see any Providence games down here in south west virginia. Have we developed any conclusions from all these observations. Is Arneil pouting? Is Sauve really brittle? Why don't the bruins find, and develop solid young defensemen? Do all the new young defensemen in the NHL come from Juniors? Because of the solid core, at the NHL level, are the Bruins content to develop slowly? Does Detroit have a lock on Europeans that stay in the AHL until age 25/26 and full strength and maturity? Where does Nashville find their young , and skilled, defensemen? Anyone?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Brad Marchand                                   G       G      A      P 2008-09     Providence Bruins     AHL     79      18     41    59 Max Sauve 2010-11     Providence Bruins     AHL     61      21     17    38 Don't let any stats get in your way. How well did Marchand play his first few call ups in the NHL ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

That's a good point, SanDog.  While Marchand did average more points per game in his rookie season, they aren't that much different in their first year.   Of course, their second year is very different, but we'll ignore that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts :  While Marchand did average more points per game in his rookie season, they aren't that much different in their first year.   Of course, their second year is very different, but we'll ignore that. Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that my boyfriend hasn't had a disastrous year because it is indisputable that he cannot stay healthy in the QMJHL nor in the AHL. I just want to see the kid with NHL talent around him for some games so I can pass any judgement before sending him to be Brandon Bo's linemate in MinskaPinsk is all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : I'm not going to sit here and pretend that my boyfriend hasn't had a disastrous year because it is indisputable that he cannot stay healthy in the QMJHL nor in the AHL. I just want to see the kid with NHL talent around him for some games so I can pass any judgement before sending him to be Brandon Bo's linemate in MinskaPinsk is all.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I hear ya Sandog, nobody pumped Sauve's tires more than me.  I thought he was the best player in the Isles rookie game two seasons ago (w/ Seguin, Caron, Hamonic, Neiderreiter, etc.).  I read about what a great camp he had this year and can skate like the wind, etc. etc.  He's one of my personal favorite prospects because he has a more uncommon skill set than guys like Arniel and Caron.  But, like you, I can't rationalize this year in Providence as anything else but a disastrous blow to his prospect status.  I won't give up on him either but he needs to turn it on in the 2nd half or come back with a vengeance next year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Ya, go easy on Randell , Fletch... We don't want another Kyle Clifford situation of too much, too soon with him... still Junior aged. Thorny's still doing his job. Randell will come along nicely in due course....   
    Posted by Griswal65

Fair enough Gris, it is indeed unfair to judge a guy who's back in junior.  He just seemed overmatched in the AHL from everything I've heard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : 2nd round pick not a 4th rounder and this is only his 2nd full season the AHL not 3rd get your facts straight. I don't consider the talent he has around him now to be considered AHL talent I consider it barley ECHL fill ins.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Lord only knows what I was looking at when I posted those incorrect numbers.

20 games, five points stinks no matter how you filet it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : I won't give up on him either but he needs to turn it on in the 2nd half or come back with a vengeance next year. Posted by Fletcher1

He's 6'2" now which is good but not when you're a strean bean and when you can't stay healthy. So yah if he can put some meat on dem bones he might be a able to crack the 3rd line but's going to be tough with KoKo, Knight and Spooner nipping.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : I agree with this though I have found an exception. Meet Andrew McKim http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3599
    Posted by kelvana33

I played against McKim for 10 years of minor hockey. He was one of the best players in the country for his age. It was actually his attitude (and a broken jaw courtesy of Scott Stevens) that made staying in the NHL difficult. After being passed over in his draft year, McKim said (paraphrasing) that central scouting had no idea what they were doing. This led to him being passed over as an overager in the draft too. Meanwhile, Andy Bezeau, his teammate since childhood, got drafted in the late rounds by Boston. Check out Bezeau's "numbers". They include a stretch in the Colonial league in which he had 240 pims in 22 games.  Steve Ludzik called Bezeau the toughest player he ever saw.
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=378

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good stuff, Dez.

With Laus, May and Primeau on his OHL club, it's a wonder how there were enough people on the teams to beat up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Good stuff, Dez. With Laus, May and Primeau on his OHL club, it's a wonder how there were enough people on the teams to beat up.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

He just showed up uninvited in Niagra Falls and talked them into a tryout. The coach said he cut him at least twice and Bezeau would just keep showing up the next day and battling whoever was willing. After his junior career he eventually played for Ludzik on the Detroit Vipers, where he was a fan favourite. He was a lot like PJ Stock. He'd fight anyone, big or small, and rarely win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : He just showed up uninvited in Niagra Falls and talked them into a tryout. The coach said he cut him at least twice and Bezeau would just keep showing up the next day and battling whoever was willing. After his junior career he eventually played for Ludzik on the Detroit Vipers, where he was a fan favourite. He was a lot like PJ Stock. He'd fight anyone, big or small, and rarely win.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Watched his junior career and this is correct.

btw also watched Ludzik and Steve Larmer as linemates for the NF Flyers. In junior Ludzik was the better player and captain of the team. I still remember Ludzik calling Larmer by his last name when they were on the ice . Never Steve. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Baby Busts : Watched his junior career and this is correct. btw also watched Ludzik and Steve Larmer as linemates for the NF Flyers. In junior Ludzik was the better player and captain of the team. I still remember Ludzik calling Larmer by his last name when they were on the ice . Never Steve. 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Bezeau is actually gaining quite a reputation for teaching local kids how to play. Like lots of other fringe players, he was a real student of the game. I still think it's sad he was drafted while McKim never was. The drafted player had 63 points in junior while the undrafted had 382. Go figure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And the news isn't all bad coming out of Providence lately. After last night's win they are 6-0-1-0 in their last 7 games. 13 out of a possible 14 points. But still no Max Sauve ( concussion ).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And the news isn't all bad coming out of Providence lately. After last night's win they are 6-0-1-0 in their last 7 games. 13 out of a possible 14 points. But still no Max Sauve ( concussion ).
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Wow.  Did they go on a seven game orphanage and nunnery tour?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I guess they weren't distracted by preparing for the All-Star game....

Sections
Shortcuts