Providence Bruins report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Providence Bruins report

Went to Providence tonight (Friday) to see the P-Bruins play the Worcester Sharks, captained by Mr. Kathryn Tappen (aka Jay Leach). An entertaining but ultimately frustrating game for the Baby B's, who dominated much of the action but were stoned by Sharks goalie Alex Stalock and lost 4-1.

My overall impression is that Providence is a very young team with some real talent, but they need to work and grow together to become a good team. They certainly have the potential. There were times they looked like world beaters, and other times they couldn't get out of their own way, often within a few minutes. But that's all part of the learning process.

Some individual observations (and apologies in advance if this is somewhat scattershot - it's a long drive and I'm wiped):

Yury Alexandrov is a very talented defensemen and very smart on the ice. I isolated on him a few times and I like how he's always very aware of the situation even when he's not directly involved. His head's on a swivel much of the time, and he appears to be thinking several steps ahead. He's a good skater and can use his stick to great effect, and knows when to join the rush, and when to stay back. However, physical forwards can easily knock him off the puck; he needs to get stronger and tougher. He is not ready for the NHL. Unless he improves (and grows) rapidly, I'd say he'll spend the year in Providence.

Matt Bartkowski was driving me crazy with his insistence on using a back-scratcher slap shot from the point every time he had a shot opportunity. At least three times he would have had the goalie dead to rights if he'd zipped a quick wrist shot, but he gave Stalock all the time in the world to get ready for his shot, with predictable results. Overall, Bartkowski showed flashes of talent, but he's still very raw and sometimes indecisive. Anyone who would think at this time that he'd be a better option than Hunwick is dreaming. He needs time as well.

The best defenseman for the P-Bruins was probably Andrew Bodnarchuk. He made solid plays, both offensively and defensively, all through the game. But he's still not better than anyone in Boston right now.

Goalie Michael Hutchinson couldn't be faulted for the first three goals. The first was one of those "everybody whack the puck in the crease" bouncers that he couldn't control; the second was a total screen - he never saw it - and the third, well, the third was almost indescribable.

It actually started out as a good play as Joe Colborne, hustling on the backcheck, knocked the puck away from a Worcester forward. Unfortunately the puck bounced straight up into the air and right onto the stick of another Worcester forward, who instantly shot. Hutchinson made the save, but there was so much spin on the puck that it went straight up into the air and fell behind him and into the net. It was that kind of game.

(The fourth goal was either a softy or a screen shot; sorry, from my angle, I couldn't tell. Either way, it was the nail in the coffin, as the P-Bruins had closed the gap to 3-1 shortly before on a Jeremy Reich goal).

Speaking of Colborne, any talk that he's soft is way off the mark. He made several solid checks on the boards, and made one memorable open-ice check when he just flattened a Worcester forward who was winding up to shoot. The more I see Colborne, the less coltish he looks, but, like most of the rest of the young kids on this team, he's going to need time. He's still learning what to do with himself when he doesn't have the puck.

As his brief call-up would indicate, probably the most "formed" of the bunch is Jamie Arniel. His most memorable moment of the evening came when he took an absolutely sick feed from Zach Hamill and broke across the crease, alone on the goalie, beat him with a stupendous backhander, and ping! rang it off the post. Like I said, that kind of night.

Unfortunately both Max Sauve and Steve Kampfer are out with injuries, so I didn't get to see them. Hopefully I'll get to see the P-Bruins again this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Providence Bruins report

Nice summary. 

Thanks for the info.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Great report duinne, keep up the good work and take me to the game next time lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks duinne, good stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Providence Bruins report:
    [QUOTE]Went to Providence tonight (Friday) to see the P-Bruins play the Worcester Sharks, captained by Mr. Kathryn Tappen (aka Jay Leach). An entertaining but ultimately frustrating game for the Baby B's, who dominated much of the action but were stoned by Sharks goalie Alex Stalock and lost 4-1. My overall impression is that Providence is a very young team with some real talent, but they need to work and grow together to become a good team. They certainly have the potential. There were times they looked like world beaters, and other times they couldn't get out of their own way, often within a few minutes. But that's all part of the learning process. Some individual observations (and apologies in advance if this is somewhat scattershot - it's a long drive and I'm wiped): Yury Alexandrov is a very talented defensemen and very smart on the ice. I isolated on him a few times and I like how he's always very aware of the situation even when he's not directly involved. His head's on a swivel much of the time, and he appears to be thinking several steps ahead. He's a good skater and can use his stick to great effect, and knows when to join the rush, and when to stay back. However, physical forwards can easily knock him off the puck; he needs to get stronger and tougher. He is not ready for the NHL. Unless he improves (and grows) rapidly, I'd say he'll spend the year in Providence. Matt Bartkowski was driving me crazy with his insistence on using a back-scratcher slap shot from the point every time he had a shot opportunity. At least three times he would have had the goalie dead to rights if he'd zipped a quick wrist shot, but he gave Stalock all the time in the world to get ready for his shot, with predictable results. Overall, Bartkowski showed flashes of talent, but he's still very raw and sometimes indecisive. Anyone who would think at this time that he'd be a better option than Hunwick is dreaming. He needs time as well. The best defenseman for the P-Bruins was probably Andrew Bodnarchuk. He made solid plays, both offensively and defensively, all through the game. But he's still not better than anyone in Boston right now. Goalie Michael Hutchinson couldn't be faulted for the first three goals. The first was one of those "everybody whack the puck in the crease" bouncers that he couldn't control; the second was a total screen - he never saw it - and the third, well, the third was almost indescribable. It actually started out as a good play as Joe Colborne, hustling on the backcheck, knocked the puck away from a Worcester forward. Unfortunately the puck bounced straight up into the air and right onto the stick of another Worcester forward, who instantly shot. Hutchinson made the save, but there was so much spin on the puck that it went straight up into the air and fell behind him and into the net. It was that kind of game. (The fourth goal was either a softy or a screen shot; sorry, from my angle, I couldn't tell. Either way, it was the nail in the coffin, as the P-Bruins had closed the gap to 3-1 shortly before on a Jeremy Reich goal). Speaking of Colborne, any talk that he's soft is way off the mark. He made several solid checks on the boards, and made one memorable open-ice check when he just flattened a Worcester forward who was winding up to shoot. The more I see Colborne, the less coltish he looks, but, like most of the rest of the young kids on this team, he's going to need time. He's still learning what to do with himself when he doesn't have the puck. As his brief call-up would indicate, probably the most "formed" of the bunch is Jamie Arniel. His most memorable moment of the evening came when he took an absolutely sick feed from Zach Hamill and broke across the crease, alone on the goalie, beat him with a stupendous backhander, and ping! rang it off the post. Like I said, that kind of night. Unfortunately both Max Sauve and Steve Kampfer are out with injuries, so I didn't get to see them. Hopefully I'll get to see the P-Bruins again this season.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Anything more on Hamill?  Is the coffin nail in for him as an official bust?  From his stats it looks like his goal scoring is way off and his assists project better than last year, which IMO puts him no where near the NHL.  Ever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Duinne, thanks for the scouting report. With the exception of maybe Arniel, it seems there's not much there for the Bruins to fall back on, at least this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thanks Duinne, good observations. Now we can see that Peter is looking at draft picks when Savvy returns, probably the same when Marco comes back, then we'll see if Wheels, Hunwick etc. are sent off for a quality defenseman.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Providence Bruins report:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Providence Bruins report : Anything more on Hamill?  Is the coffin nail in for him as an official bust?  From his stats it looks like his goal scoring is way off and his assists project better than last year, which IMO puts him no where near the NHL.  Ever.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to see what Hamill would do with a couple of real good finishers on his wings. He's very much in the Krejci/Savard mode (note: I'm not saying his talent level equals theirs) in that he's a playmaker, not a finisher. Realistically, I don't see any room for him in the Bruins organization, but for his sake, I'd like to see him traded and get a shot somewhere else. Under the right circumstances, he might have a chance in the bigs, but the dice will have to fall the right way. 

As for the rest of the P-Bruins, I wouldn't look for help for Boston right away, but as the season progresses, it's certainly possible (and probable, IMHO) that you'll see a few of them make the trip up 95. As I said, Arniel looks solid. Colborne's going to be a good one, once he matures (we need to bear in mind how young he is. Some youngsters develop fast - Seguin, Lucic. Others, like Krejci, need more time to grow). I was impressed with Sauve at the start of the season and was sorry I missed him this time around, but I'm sure they're being very cautious with his wrist. 

If any of you can manage it, I'd recommend taking in a P-Bruins game. Remember they play in places like Worcester, Springfield, Manchester, Portland, etc., so you don't have to venture to Providence. They're an exciting, hard-working, hustling team, and fun to watch. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Good report. But the standout D thus far on the Prov camp has to be Kampfer. Excellent two way D that can carry the puck a little, tough checks and nice shot from the point. 

Arniel is providence best forward so far. He reminds me of Jeff Skinner. Can't skate overly fast but knows how to play the game and score points. 

Overall Prov is not a team that will get anywhere in the playoffs this season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks Duinne.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Keep up the good work, Duinne.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Thanks Duinne!  I plan on checking out a Baby B's game at some point this season.  Looking forward to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Sauve has been out for awhile too bad hope it's not a dislocation of the wrist.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Good report. But the standout D thus far on the Prov camp has to be Kampfer. Excellent two way D that can carry the puck a little, tough checks and nice shot from the point.  Arniel is providence best forward so far. He reminds me of Jeff Skinner. Can't skate overly fast but knows how to play the game and score points.  Overall Prov is not a team that will get anywhere in the playoffs this season
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

If the playoffs started tomorrow, I might agree with you, but the very nature of the minor leagues makes playoff success impossible to predict at this time of year. If guys like Alexandrov, Colborne, Sauve, Hutchinson and Co. continue to grow and improve, and the team gels, they could be a force to be reckoned with come April. They also could receive a boost from players such as Ryan Button, who'll undoubtedly join them once the junior season ends. So we'll see. Right now, I wouldn't make a prediction either way.

And thanks to all for the thank yous. It was my pleasure. Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Great Post/Thread....Thanks

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Injury update

"Winger Max Sauve had the cast removed from his recuperating broken wrist and has started practicing. He is still sore and had a cortisone shot, but head coach Rob Murray was hopeful the speedster could get back this weekend. …"

Duinne where have you gone ?......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Cortisone is bad news, a last resort.

Duinne must be in love.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Injury update "Winger Max Sauve had the cast removed from his recuperating broken wrist and has started practicing. He is still sore and had a cortisone shot, but head coach Rob Murray was hopeful the speedster could get back this weekend. …" Duinne where have you gone ?......
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    She went out to dinner with NAS.Hasn't been heard from since.............

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

What's up with this team ? They got belted 5-1 last night at home.  At least the Bruins can beat the Sabres.
    After scoring first they dropped 5 straight against.
    Caron got an assist but it was downhill from there. He finished at -2 along with Bartkowski, Arniel, MacDonald , so did new comer Simek go -2.  Penner -3.
    Last night Sauve's first game back, hope he gets back on track and helps this team a little.  Before his injury I think he was their best offensive player.
    What's up with Riendeau ? He's off the roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

thanks....good to hear there is maybe another goalie coming along

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1007788

Max Sauve trying to get back on track with two goals today. Too bad he can't be up against the Springfield Falcons every game all six goals this season versus Springfield.

Sections
Shortcuts