Providence Camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Providence Camp

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=642463

Glad to hear the young players were smart enough to come into camp in great shape. In Leaf-land, they're very disappointed in Kadri's body fat, even though he went to Roberts' Bio-steel camp.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/kadris-body-fat-is-unacceptable-says-marlies-coach/

In other news, PC says if the lockout ends, the Bruins will still bring Hamilton and maybe Subban to camp.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/29/chiarelli-hamilton-maybe-malcolm-subban-will-join-bruins-camp-if-lockout-ends/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Providence Camp

https://twitter.com/ahlbruins

Hacks with Haggs - http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-bruins/bruins-talk/ThoughtsObservations-from-P-Bruins-scrim?blockID=781207&feedID=10428

Mark Driver - http://bruinsblog.projo.com/

Ryan Spooner has a blog going - http://ahlbruins.tumblr.com/

Subban being invited is intriguing for sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://ahlbruins.tumblr.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Did Kadri go to Tim Horton's after the Robert's Bio Steel camp?  I am thinking of a. Sumo wrestler, is Kadri"s conditioning in good order despite the body fat?  I understand fat without conditioning, ala Josh Beckett! Ha.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Did Kadri go to Tim Horton's after the Robert's Bio Steel camp?  I am thinking of a. Sumo wrestler, is Kadri"s conditioning in good order despite the body fat?  I understand fat without conditioning, ala Josh Beckett! Ha.  

Maybe he's budies with Dustin Byfuglien.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

That Chocalate Lab is going to tear up all their sneakers as soon as they leave for practice, just waiting.

Meh reduced to posting about dogs when the NHL season should be just about to start!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

That Chocalate Lab is going to tear up all their sneakers as soon as they leave for practice, just waiting.

Meh reduced to posting about dogs when the NHL season should be just about to start!

He also shared some interesting info regarding Trotman in the scrimmage. Hearing about another D-man in the system with even moderate scoring ability is at least somewhat positive if not interesting. Cheers!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/console.jsp?catid=2&id=6025&teamcode=PRO

Camper to Cunningham at the 2:36 mark. Forgot who got the 1st goal lol

P-Bruins D looking like dookie already...again. Cassidy might not make it past late November if his team continues like this..

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/console.jsp?catid=2&id=6025&teamcode=PRO

Camper to Cunningham at the 2:36 mark. Forgot who got the 1st goal lol

P-Bruins D looking like dookie again already. Cassidy might not make it past late November if his team continues like this..

I was thinking the samething when I saw the score last night. Also not-so-good pre-season.

I laughed when I heard the Marlies are the cream of the crop in the AHL this season due to the lockout,  the Leafs lineup is playing in the AHL.  No wonder they're so bad in Toronto !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So early lines are Spooner with Tardif and Sauve and then a C3 line of Camper, Cunningham and Caron?  Where does that leave Chris Bourque, the Bruins' highest-profile acquisition?

Spooner's line, with Bartkowski and Miller, are the only ones not under the even mark so far.

I notice that the 2 undersized NCAA defenseman are contributing no offense and are -2.

It's only two games in, but it's hard to know where to start looking for the fix when a team isn't scoring and is giving up 3.5 goals/game.  Hutchinson's numbers look awful - .870 s%? - so I'm curious if the problem is goaltending or a weak, inadequate D.  If it's inadequate D, then I guess that's the last straw in the 2007 draft, because Tommy Cross wasn't good enough to make this team and is in the ECHL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/2012/10/p-bruins-send-bcs-cross-to-echl.html

"We had nine defensemen here under contract. Only six can play and he wasn't in the top six. We only have two games each weekend for the first four weekends,'' said coach Butch Cassidy.

"We're making the assumption our guys (in Providence) will play well and stay healthy. We talked about it, from Boston's brass to us, and decided that he needs to play games. He'll play pro games down there and then we'll reevaluate as we go,'' Cassidy said.

"I would think that he'll play a few weekends (in the ECHL) and then, depending on how we look in a couple of weeks, health-wise and how we're playing,'' he could be recalled."

Wrong assumption Butch, I expect Cross back and hungry...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

San, my buddy who scouts for Dallas went to see Prov this weekend and said Spooner looked very good and noted he seemed almost impossible to hit. He said it's as if Spooner is always skating sideways, making himself less of a target. He said Knight played well too but wasn't being given the same ice time opportunities as Spooner. You'll be pleased to hear that he said Sauve looked very impressive. Apparently his foot speed is back so that's good news. He said Hutchinson was much better than his numbers would indicate but on a sour note, he said Camper's bone-headed plays far outweigh his good ones and that the team as a whole, is tiny. Cheers!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The only way cross comes back hungry is if he doesn't like the food in SC.  I'd love to salvage some NHL talent out of 2007, but it's 2012 and Cross is having to fight his way up from the ECHL. (Speaking of 2007, I see Hamill didn't dress for Hershey last weekend.  Wonder if he's still injured or if Washington took a look and said, no, but thanks.  Also noticed that Holtby has similar numbers to Hutch after one game....)

Bigger question is what the stakes are for PC in the way Providence shakes out.  No one's going to fire him over Providence (We talkin' Providence), but there have to be some questions now that the Leaf draft pick wagon is gone.  On the one hand, Cross is a second round pick who has had a decorated NCAA career but may never play an NHL game - and is only playing pro for the first time more than 5 years after he was drafted.  On the other hand, there's PC's fascination with skilled but small players especially on the blueline.  Returns on that strategy have been diminishing since Hunwick.  Kampfer was no Hunwick, Warsovsky has been no Kampfer, and Krug hasn't shown much of anything yet.  Chudinov's not big, either.  If Cross makes it back to the A, it will likely be because the small but skilled plan isn't paying off, and the P-Bruins are again stinking out the Dunk.  Is that "good for Tommy" or "Book's right; they need to give up this plan to sign every NCAA mighty mite defenseman."

I think PC would rather see Cross fade away because the guys he's acquired more recently, including Cohen and Bartkowski, turn the corner.  Krug starts driving the PP.  Warsovsky starts putting up some points.  But that also depends on a forward complement that still needs touch.  Adding Spooner, Knight and Bourque, and dropping Hamill?  Net gain but by how much?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The BBQ in Greenville is fantastic.

Obviously it's not a good sign that Cross is down there, but it seems to me that it could be more a consequence of 'seniority' at this point, and the NHL being locked out.  Krug might be on the NHL roster if they were playing and just about everyone else seems to have proven themselves at the AHL level (I know, who cares...).  Isn't it possible that PC/Cassidy have a preference to deal with the logjam by simply sending Cross down to the ECHL since he's new and it isn't really a demotion.  He does need to get experience in pro hockey, and a pro hockey schedule, whereas you at least know that Cohen and Miller can handle that.  I wonder if Cross was sent down more because he's the raw, new guy rather than as a result of early performance problems.

No question though that the system has a few too many smallish D-men who were good in college.  Cross isn't small though and I would think that his upside is better than Warsofsky's. Cross can hit.  We just don't know if he can hang with professional talent yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

San, my buddy who scouts for Dallas went to see Prov this weekend and said Spooner looked very good and noted he seemed almost impossible to hit. He said it's as if Spooner is always skating sideways, making himself less of a target. He said Knight played well too but wasn't being given the same ice time opportunities as Spooner. You'll be pleased to hear that he said Sauve looked very impressive. Apparently his foot speed is back so that's good news. He said Hutchinson was much better than his numbers would indicate but on a sour note, he said Camper's bone-headed plays far outweigh his good ones and that the team as a whole, is tiny. Cheers!

Interesting stuff dez, and thanks for rekindling my Sauve prospect crush...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Dez, his skating reminds me of the way Skinner skates pivoting at times with his toes pointed outwards when cutting on angles. An elusive player who skates almost like he has a past figure skating background ( a la Skinner ).

Thanks for the thoughts of your buddy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Glad to hear the young players were smart enough to come into camp in great shape. In Leaf-land, they're very disappointed in Kadri's body fat, even though he went to Roberts' Bio-steel camp.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/kadris-body-fat-is-unacceptable-says-marlies-coach/

dez, Don Cherry got in his two cents regarding the Leafs' comments on Kadri's conditioning.

Don Cherry's remarks on Nazem Kadri prompts Marlies coach Dallas Eakins to fire back

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

dez, Don Cherry got in his two cents regarding the Leafs' comments on Kadri's conditioning.

Don Cherry's remarks on Nazem Kadri prompts Marlies coach Dallas Eakins to fire back

Cherry made up his mind that kadri was awesome a long time ago. Cherry would be the first one to rip the kid for coming into camp fat if he was a European. I like much of what Cherry has to say but he definitely needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Cherry made up his mind that kadri was awesome a long time ago. Cherry would be the first one to rip the kid for coming into camp fat if he was a European. I like much of what Cherry has to say but he definitely needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much exactly the way I feel about Cherry.  Because I agree with him more often than not, I tend to like his views even when they are obnoxious and bombastic.  But at the times you disagree with him, it sure makes you realize that his sentiments are filled with bias and often don't always operate with logic and reason.  If Kadri were Russian, I have no doubt that Cherry would be tearing into him for being out of shape and underachieving in general.  It seems like the good ole' North American boys get a lot more slack with Cherry and his defense of Kadri seems kind of jaded and gratuitous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Don's gotten old.  He now rants like an old man.  The simple difference I see now is that he used to address "you kids out there" because he was trying to show them something about the game that would make them play better or smarter - nothing earth-shattering, but just a little detail or two.  Now he's all gooshy and "it's all about the kids" as he rants on about how he saw X kid playing house league at 10 and he was already playing like the next Ratelle or Park or whoever.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

To your point, Fletch - it's more and more the good Ontario boys rather than NA players.  I think his age just has him to the point where he can't get out and see games in Saskatchewan or BC or Halifax these days, so those places and the kids who play there are becoming more and more foreign.  He's always been a bit biased against NCAA trained players, too - no fighting = soft players, I guess (Nilan excepted). I think there's a bit of truth to this - you see more small players develop in the NCAAs in part because the game is less violent.  And if Hal Gill had played in the OHL, he'd have been one tough sunuvabeech.  Like Chara in Prince George, every kid with a rep to develop would have found him so he could chop down the redwood.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think the "5 years since the draft" has as much weight in Cross's case. He stayed with York becuase he liked playing for national titles every year and loved the Heights. Now if Tommy were a RedHawk then he probably would have left after one year (kiddding, kidding) and then the 5 years would come into play while suiting up in the ECHL this week.

Whether or not PC told Cassidy (I would bet yes PC did) whom to keep and who to send down to Carolina remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see of Cassidy follows through and keeps to his word he "just wanted Cross to skate in more games this week before bringing him back up".

Hutchinson had a strong 2nd half last year but was atrocious last weekend as he only faced a total of 41 shots for both games not good. So the blame can't be soley put on Books college defensman buddies.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ha - you're right Sandog, the Redhawks are getting killed by early departures.  Tyler Biggs most recently left for junior since he's supposed to be an ultra-rugged power forward and can't really showcase his game in the NCAA...something that might have been apparent before he committed to Miami, but I digress.  He'll be a new redwood to chop at in junior Book, I would think.  Probably a smart move for him, depsite my affections for Miami hockey.  There's movement in Brian Burke's trousers...

Frankly, I'm starting to share the impatience with PC's many NCAA-defensmen in the (clogged) pipeline.  It's not just the smallish guys either like Hunwick, Krug, and Warsofsky.  PC's put some stock in Cohen, Bartkowski, Trotman, Cross, and Miller -- all bigger NCAA guys who are supposed to be able to bang.  I'm waiting for the next Johnny Boychuk who develops into an outstanding AHL player and forces his way onto the NHL roster.  Can any of those guys do that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I agree on the "PC college defensman pipline" as well Fletch, defenitely starting wear thin. However in the Tommy Cross case I'd like to see what he could do in the AHL and NHL before throwing in the towel.

Curious though I hope Cassidy didn't do the ECHL gig to motivate Tommy, one thing I have never read is Cross is unmotivated nor a head case.

Sections
Shortcuts