Providence Draftees... Who are the next men up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Providence Draftees... Who are the next men up?

On the current roster, the last player to be drafted by the Bruins and developed in Providence to become a full-time starter on the parent club, was Brad Marchand. That was in 2006. :-/ All of the of other "kids" on the team were either acquired via trade or Free Agency.

So here's the question: In the next two year time frame, are there any draftees/traded players in the pipeline that you want to see/project filling full time spots on the Bruins? Where do you project their potential?

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

Re: Providence Draftees... Who are the next men up?

It's Spooner for sure. I see him playing center on the third line. I believe the Bruins will not resign D K because he will be too costly, or he will be traded, thus : Spooner on the third.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

1. Pastrnak- 35-40 gls easy.

2. Spooner- 0 gls 65 assists playing on the 4th line/PP.

3. Caron- press box.

4 Trotman/Morrow-maybe get a call up & flourish,meaning a big trade deadline Boychuk trade.

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Bobby Robins 4th line energy winger..... At the very least he's a right handed shot! I'm kidding......love the energy & hitting he brings to the game. Think he's a perfect fit for that 4th line role because of it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bobby Robins 4th line energy winger..... At the very least he's a right handed shot! I'm kidding......love the energy & hitting he brings to the game. Think he's a perfect fit for that 4th line role because of it. 

[/QUOTE]

The only problem with Bobby Robins is that he sucks at playing hockey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:[QUOTE] So here's the question: In the next two year time frame, are there any draftees/traded players in the pipeline that you want to see/project filling full time spots on the Bruins? Where do you project their potential? [/QUOTE]

Because I think that KoKo might still be trade bait and Boychuk would bring more return than Kelly in return, I think it will be a defenseman that will be next to fill a spot again.

I think it is Trotman that fills the next spot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only problem with Bobby Robins is that he sucks at playing hockey.

He really isn't that bad a hockey player.Go to many providence games & the kid is a game changer. He's not going to get 10-12 goals for you & if that's what your looking for from a 4th line RW your dreaming. His biggest problem is he's a little to raucous, looking for trouble. Tame him down alittle, letting his energy & hitting dictate the play he could be a very effective 4th line winger. He's a good skater & digs in front of the net even slamming 1 in now & then. Of course from Florida I'm betting you've seen him  a lot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

He really isn't that bad a hockey player.Go to many providence games & the kid is a game changer. He's not going to get 10-12 goals for you & if that's what your looking for from a 4th line RW your dreaming. His biggest problem is he's a little to raucous, looking for trouble. Tame him down alittle, letting his energy & hitting dictate the play he could be a very effective 4th line winger. He's a good skater & digs in front of the net even slamming 1 in now & then. Of course from Florida I'm betting you've seen him  a lot.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't Robins in his 30's? If he hasn't played a game in the NHL before,i can't see him being a game changer now. I think there are likely a lot of younger versions of Robins for the B's 4th line,if thats what their looking for in that spot.I don't think they are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

He's young 30,s......maybe I'm alittle old school with the term "game changer". Momentum swings in a game are dictated by game changing events. A goal, a great save, a couple good shifts pinning the team in, a fight or a energy line that goes out & bangs bodies. The Oilers lived by it in their hay day. Many ways are the tides changed & yes you can put a Florek in there that will skate his wing, be sound defensively & pop in 8-10 goals. Or you can tap Robins on the shoulder & he goes out there banging with every opponents has their head up not wanting the puck or trying to get rid of it. Robins is a hitter unlike his predecessor & to me that can be a game changer used in the right way specially in the regular season where things can be a little Blaise 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Okay, let's see.  I haven't been in Florida for very long.  I make many trips to New England.  I've seen Robins play enough.  I didn't see him playing a few years ago, however.  You know, when he was 29 years old and fighting in the East Coast league.   

Oh oh oh.  He can skate and check and fight.  Very few players can't.  There is a lot more to being a professional hockey player than that.  Furthermore, this is the NHL we're talking about.  I really don't think Bobby Robins is one of the Top 600 hockey players on Earth, do you?

Game changer my arrssee.  Stupid catch phrase.  He fights.  He's a pure goon.  I'd love to see him get called up for games that feature opposing goons that need a beating (Scott, Orr, Thornton), but as for taking a regular shift, I say put a hockey player there and let him earn his way up a la Brad Marchand.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

I don't want a goon to be the next callup. I want KoKo to burst on the scene, Spooner to finally "click" at the NHL level, or the Pastherneck story to be real. That's what I'm looking for, based on the intent of the OP. Someone young, dynamic, and fun to watch, even if they screw up from time to time.

Remember how much fun it was to witness the Legend of Torey Krug emerge two years ago?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Krug was even more fun because it was the playoffs. It was short term.  Much harder to sustain that over a full season - though that's part of the point.  Think of how many of these rooks come in and go ape for a month and then...crickets...sometimes an injury.  Or the other way around; they come in and are hopelessly lost for 4 months and then something drops.  Lots of examples in recent years with Tarasenko, Hertl, Nichushkin, Chiasson, etc.

Right now, the Bruins need that 3rd line RW to be the guy who answers the OP question.  I'm not sure how I expect that to go.  Fraser, Spooner or Khokhlachev would seem to be the options.  Guessing at least two of those guys are on the roster to start the year, one as 3rd RW and one as spare forward, and they'll fight for starts.  Unless there's a deal, and then I think you might see Spooner as a spare forward, but hardly next man up.

Deal or no deal, though, I think the guy who grabs a roster spot and does something with it will be Florek.  I kind of like the energy he plays with and think he'll be a good fit on that fourth line if given time to gel with Campbell and Paille.  Seems like the kind of guy who also has that knack for getting to the net for loose pucks, so I'm anticipating a more productive year from the Malbec line with Florek being the guy who looks surprisingly effective out there.  Not Marchand-10-goals-by-Christmas-and-on-the-second-line productive, but rising tide raising all totals on that line effective.

Are you not entertained?!?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Seems like we'll see at least one go full time for sure this year, and more likely 2 or 3.  Florek seems likely in some role.  Spooner's earned a shot with his AHL play but will need to play wing unless they move Campbell aside for him.  Pasternak has an outside chance.  Koko's in the mix.  Fraser has a very good shot.

I'll say Pasternak, Fraser, Spooner and Florek all start with the big club this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pasternak has an outside chance.  

[/QUOTE]

Et tu OC?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Et tu OC?

[/QUOTE]

So your saying there's a chance?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So your saying there's a chance?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should consult the advanced stats guru's?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Et tu OC?

[/QUOTE]

He's the exact need of the team (a right shot scoring wing), who played against men last year and is a 1st rounder.  It's not a ridiculous idea.  He had a fine performance the other night against a team made of at least 5 players who will probably make the NHL (or be close).  He certainly should be in the conversation to play a role like Seguin played in '10-'11.  If this was last year, no way.  But this year - like then - the team has a need for a young, cheap talented RW.  Guys like Spooner, etc obviously are more mature, but they don't have the same pedigree.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

He's the exact need of the team (a right shot scoring wing), who played against men last year and is a 1st rounder.  It's not a ridiculous idea.  He had a fine performance the other night against a team made of at least 5 players who will probably make the NHL (or be close).  He certainly should be in the conversation to play a role like Seguin played in '10-'11.  If this was last year, no way.  But this year - like then - the team has a need for a young, cheap talented RW.  Guys like Spooner, etc obviously are more mature, but they don't have the same pedigree.  

[/QUOTE]

Fair points, but perhaps we should reserve judgement until he has had at least one camp with NHL regulars?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

JW, the way of the Book says that the real answer here should be "whoever earns it."  So yeah, if Dr. Zhivago comes in and out-performs all of the Providence guys, by all means, he gets first crack at proving he can do the job in the NHL.  But if he doesn't, then the let the best man win.  I love when prospects can smell an NHL paycheque and compete for the right to earn it.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Much harder to sustain that over a full season - though that's part of the point. Think of how many of these rooks come in and go ape for a month and then...crickets."

14 goals with 40 points against newly crowned $9M man's 10 goals 53 points is damn good. These bridge years are important for Torey. 

Because of Krug's size I don't see hitting a contract like PKs but if the trend stays, Torey could get a contract like Wisniewski's at the very least.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair points, but perhaps we should reserve judgement until he has had at least one camp with NHL regulars?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, and don't mistake me for someone who thinks he's a lock to play with DK and score 30.  I just didn't want to sit on the fence and name no one, so I decided to pick some players to make it, and so I picked 4.  Barring a trade, the Bruins will need at least 2 or 3... if Kelly's gone or someone pulls a hammy in camp, they'll need 4. 

I think another factor in Pastrnak's favor is PC's habit of doing this.  He's willing to allow the "hype" of a player to carry them onto the roster even if maybe some players are slightly more deserving.  With a dull off season and no major moves, Chiarelli would love to have a teenage phenom to talk about come camp time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JW, the way of the Book says that the real answer here should be "whoever earns it."  So yeah, if Dr. Zhivago comes in and out-performs all of the Providence guys, by all means, he gets first crack at proving he can do the job in the NHL.  But if he doesn't, then the let the best man win.  I love when prospects can smell an NHL paycheque and compete for the right to earn it.

[/QUOTE]

May the best player win...I completely agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

I think another factor in Pastrnak's favor is PC's habit of doing this.  He's willing to allow the "hype" of a player to carry them onto the roster even if maybe some players are slightly more deserving.  With a dull off season and no major moves, Chiarelli would love to have a teenage phenom to talk about come camp time.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.....and very accurate!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Ok ok, Ill say it.. can the Bruins fit Yuri under the Cap with a $925,000 hit? :-/

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Luc Krej Louis

March Berg Smith

Kell Sod ?

Pail Camp Caron

1 spot available prob Florek as he is signed to same contract of 600k as is Caron

B's are 800k over cap now until they get a dance partner for trades, which does not look likely, they will not be getting any relief any time soon.

With Sav lti there is 3.2M avail 2.5 to Reilly(same as March first rfa contract with luck no more) this leaves 700k for Krug with 7d already signed Dougie is only player listed with bonus at 600k so there is room to bring some bonus money in on cap for relief as well.

Until there is player movement there is not likely to be any positions open for player development. PC has continued to keep Caron around it looks like we r stuck with him and now Florek has been signed for same money, tho he does have a 2way.

PC has to make a huge run at cup this year as 7ufas for next year will mean some dismantling as Krej is going to get 6.5, Sod 3m+ Boyc 4M so there will be new players next year for sure.

Greatest Of All Time

GOAT!!!

Sections
Shortcuts