Puck Moving Defenceman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Puck Moving Defenceman

Who's available, besides Souray ? Presuming the Bruins need to move players in a trade to make cap space, do the Bruins look to pick up a puck moving D man which means we have enough guys here to row the ship up front, or do we just stack draft picks ? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Puck Moving Defenceman

puck moving d is a myth. 

Wideman was a "puck moving d" and the team is better off without him.

Even if there is really such a thing as a "pucking moving d", let's say they put in 20 mins a game, what does the team do the other 40 mins?

I believe there is such a thing as a good defenseman who doesn't cough up the puck in their own end.  I believe there are good ways to break out of your own end without hiring a special talent to do only that one thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Totally agree BadHab.  Having the ability to break out of your zone is what I would expect from any competent NHL D-Man.  Unfortunately, we have Hunwick and Ference, who can typically make outlet passes but can't defend down low.  Pick your poison with those two, but I would like to see them pick-up a legitimate top-4 D-man. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A couple of years ago, San Jose needed the elusive puck moving defenseman.  They traded Bernier and a first round pick (turned out to be used for Tyler Ennis) for Brian Campbell.

Later that year, with no Cup, no first round pick and no Bernier, the Sharks lost Campbell to free agency.

No thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Puck Moving Defenceman:
    puck moving d is a myth.  Wideman was a "puck moving d" and the team is better off without him. Even if there is really such a thing as a "pucking moving d", let's say they put in 20 mins a game, what does the team do the other 40 mins? I believe there is such a thing as a good defenseman who doesn't cough up the puck in their own end.  I believe there are good ways to break out of your own end without hiring a special talent to do only that one thing.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Totally disagree!  If a team has centers that in need of the puck like Ovechkin then Green or a PMD is necessary.  Tell me this Bs team (with Savard and Krejci) would not be better with Bogosian than Stuart (who I like).  Moving the puck out of the zone with Hunwick even the BS love child "Seidenberg" is a disaster for a second round elimination III (2011).  You should review the Carolina series from two years ago. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with BadHab -- the key is getting a good defensman who can also move the puck.

Wideman, Hunwick, Souray -- all are good offensive D-men who can move the puck and all three are bad enough defensively that they really don't help this team.  Souray is an absolute trainwreck too.

My dream for the Bruins would be a Ryan Suter type player, who plays defense like Mark Stuart while putting up 40 points a year.  Not too many of those guys out there, and the Bruins have niether the bait or cap space to fetch a guy like that.  Let's hope Boychuk and Hunwick keep improving while Chia focuses on drafting/developing some defensemen the same way he has centers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Puck Moving Defenceman : Totally disagree!  If a team has centers that in need of the puck like Ovechkin then Green or a PMD is necessary.  Tell me this Bs team (with Savard and Krejci) would not be better with Bogosian than Stuart (who I like).  Moving the puck out of the zone with Hunwick even the BS love child "Seidenberg" is a disaster for a second round elimination III (2011).  You should review the Carolina series from two years ago. 
    Posted by islamorada

Actually Seidenberg was one of the primary Carolina defensmen that torched the Bruins in that series...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've been lookin at it quite a bit today and there aren't an awful lot of options, at least invoving teams looking for a change. Edmonton's in the best spot to deal wih the Bruins and take players off our cap like Ryder (who would open uproom for Savard/Sturm) as well as a combination of Paille, Wheeler, Stuart, and Ference to clear up room for a puck moving D. Add in picks since Edmonton is rebuilding and you'd be able o swing a deal. Unfortunately no one on that club fits the B's needs. Ryan Whitney would be perfect, and wth the right picks included I think he'd be gettable, but unfortunately he has a no trade clause.

Nashville is in a similar boat wth cap space and performance, but have no one that fits the need except Weber, which despite his poor season so far is highly unlikely.

Though they want to change their team, the Flames are no help as they're as tight againt the cap as the B's.

Dallas also has cap space and a need to make a move but, like Edmonton, their one appealing player, Robidas, has a no tade.

In the other conference, Jersey has no cap space, and the Isles are trying to stay at the botom of the cap. Both Wiesnieski and Streit fit the Bruins' need, but as crazy as the Isles management is, I don't think they'd part with either.

Florida has Wideman - yeah that ain't going to happen

Buffalo has Montador and Leopold, but why would they part with either?

PC could always try to fleece Burke again, but the only player that would help and is available, Kaberle, has a not trade clause. So there's the current bottom feeders looking for help - we could help most of them without weakening ou lineup, but they don't have that D in return

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?Year=2011&Team=All&Position=D&FAType=2

Here's a list of Dman that are coming up on UFA free agency slim pickens not the phat kind. Now the RFA list is much nicer I'd part with the Bruins own 2011 #1 plus a prospect for some on this list fo sho.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

puck moving forwards help too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?Year=2011&Team=All&Position=D&FAType=2 Here's a list of Dman that are coming up on UFA free agency slim pickens not the phat kind. Now the RFA list is much nicer I'd part with the Bruins own 2011 #1 plus a prospect for some on this list fo sho.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Huh... I thouht I saw that Wiesniewski (or however you spell it) had one more year. If he is a UFA, he may be the type of rental that works. A Good overall D, who has good outlet passing and is solid on the point.

His salary also isn't out of the realm of possibility

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've been lookin at it quite a bit today and there aren't an awful lot of options, at least invoving teams looking for a change. Edmonton's in the best spot to deal wih the Bruins and take players off our cap like Ryder (who would open uproom for Savard/Sturm) as well as a combination of Paille, Wheeler, Stuart, and Ference to clear up room for a puck moving D. Add in picks since Edmonton is rebuilding and you'd be able o swing a deal. Unfortunately no one on that club fits the B's needs. Ryan Whitney would be perfect, and wth the right picks included I think he'd be gettable, but unfortunately he has a no trade clause. Nashville is in a similar boat wth cap space and performance, but have no one that fits the need except Weber, which despite his poor season so far is highly unlikely. Though they want to change their team, the Flames are no help as they're as tight againt the cap as the B's. Dallas also has cap space and a need to make a move but, like Edmonton, their one appealing player, Robidas, has a no tade. In the other conference, Jersey has no cap space, and the Isles are trying to stay at the botom of the cap. Both Wiesnieski and Streit fit the Bruins' need, but as crazy as the Isles management is, I don't think they'd part with either. Florida has Wideman - yeah that ain't going to happen Buffalo has Montador and Leopold, but why would they part with either? PC could always try to fleece Burke again, but the only player that would help and is available, Kaberle, has a not trade clause. So there's the current bottom feeders looking for help - we could help most of them without weakening ou lineup, but they don't have that D in return
    Posted by red75

Why is Montador listed?  If you consider him to be a quality puck moving defense, please let me know.  I'll put you on my ignore list.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've been lookin at it quite a bit today and there aren't an awful lot of options, at least invoving teams looking for a change. Edmonton's in the best spot to deal wih the Bruins and take players off our cap like Ryder (who would open uproom for Savard/Sturm) as well as a combination of Paille, Wheeler, Stuart, and Ference to clear up room for a puck moving D. Add in picks since Edmonton is rebuilding and you'd be able o swing a deal. Unfortunately no one on that club fits the B's needs. Ryan Whitney would be perfect, and wth the right picks included I think he'd be gettable, but unfortunately he has a no trade clause. Nashville is in a similar boat wth cap space and performance, but have no one that fits the need except Weber, which despite his poor season so far is highly unlikely. Though they want to change their team, the Flames are no help as they're as tight againt the cap as the B's. Dallas also has cap space and a need to make a move but, like Edmonton, their one appealing player, Robidas, has a no tade. In the other conference, Jersey has no cap space, and the Isles are trying to stay at the botom of the cap. Both Wiesnieski and Streit fit the Bruins' need, but as crazy as the Isles management is, I don't think they'd part with either. Florida has Wideman - yeah that ain't going to happen Buffalo has Montador and Leopold, but why would they part with either? PC could always try to fleece Burke again, but the only player that would help and is available, Kaberle, has a not trade clause. So there's the current bottom feeders looking for help - we could help most of them without weakening ou lineup, but they don't have that D in return
    Posted by red75

In addition to Ryan Whitney, I think Kurtis Foster would be a decent fit too.  I like your idea of targeting Edmonton.  They are rebuilding, but they also have a very restless fanbase that is pushing them to improve the team this season.  If we could pry Whitney or Foster without giving up too much, I think it would be a viable option.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Also I think Ryan Whitney would waive his NTC in a second to go from Edmonton to Boston.  Who wouldn't right now?  And Whitney is from Boston...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Edmonton traded for Whitney last season.  Any reason at all they would want to trade him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I still think PC dropped the ball not making a push to sign Kurtis Foster this offseason and re-signing Ferrence instead.  Foster is a good puck moving defensmen who is very good on the PP.  Edmonton were able to sign him for a 2 year 1.8 per year deal which is a lot cheaper than Ferrence too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Edmonton traded for Whitney last season.  Any reason at all they would want to trade him?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not a real good one.  But within this wildly speculative conversation, I would see Whitney and Foster as two veteran guys on failing teams that may be receptive to a trade package, and both guys would accpet the trade.  The downside is that the Bruins would likely have to overpay so I don't really see it happening.

Whitney or Foster seem like more realistic targets than the players mentioned above that are key parts of winning, playoff bound teams -- Eric Johnson, Keith Yandle, Jack Johnson, Alex Pietrangelo, etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Puck Moving Defenceman : Huh... I thouht I saw that Wiesniewski (or however you spell it) had one more year. If he is a UFA, he may be the type of rental that works. A Good overall D, who has good outlet passing and is solid on the point. His salary also isn't out of the realm of possibility Posted by red75

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/NYI?year=2011

Yes he is a UFA this summer and he's only 26. I wouldn't mind having him as the Islanders once again are going nowhere plus Garth will lose him at the end of the year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Puck Moving Defenceman : Why is Montador listed?  If you consider him to be a quality puck moving defense, please let me know.  I'll put you on my ignore list.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

No I don't really, and he's not anywhere near my first or 25th choice, but looking at his season right now  I'm just pointing out who are or are not possibilities and are playing well at the moment on bad teamsthat need improvement that the B's could offer in return. Stuke50 asked who was available - I was just trying to look at the teams in the bottom and figure out an answer for him.

And as for why the Oilers might trade Whitney (though like I said I don't think they could) I don't think there's much that Edmonton wouldn't be willing to do if they thought it made their future brighter. Dreger wrote something similar on TSN today.

I hadn't thought of Foster - not a bad option. We all know there will be a trade - due to cap space there pretty much has to be. This is all speculative about what it could be or how it could work and what could help the Bruins. Nothing too serious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Puck Moving Defenceman:
    Who's available, besides Souray ? Presuming the Bruins need to move players in a trade to make cap space, do the Bruins look to pick up a puck moving D man which means we have enough guys here to row the ship up front, or do we just stack draft picks ? 
    Posted by Stuke50

oh. and I forgot one thing.  Never ever never ever mention "Souray" ever again.  It should be one of the banned words on here.  Children come on here you know and if they hear "Souray" they might read and/or watch Souray.  And they'll be damaged for the rest of their lives.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

ok, i actually laughed out loud at that

Sections
Shortcuts