Pure Class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Pure Class

Jason Chimera.

Racing for the iced puck with Boychuk, both in full stride.  As they cross the goal line, Boychuk is slightly in front of Chimera.  Knowing they are going to crash into the boards, Chimera wraps his left arm around Boychuk, holds him up/back and basically keeps him from any potential harm.

If the rest of the league had that sort of respect for each other, Shanahan would be one bored hombre.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Re: Pure Class

In Response to Pure Class:
    [QUOTE]Jason Chimera. Racing for the iced puck with Boychuk, both in full stride.  As they cross the goal line, Boychuk is slightly in front of Chimera.  Knowing they are going to crash into the boards, Chimera wraps his left arm around Boychuk, holds him up/back and basically keeps him from any potential harm. If the rest of the league had that sort of respect for each other, Shanahan would be one bored hombre.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Great point and its also why I hope they never go to no touch icing. Its dangerous but it rewards hustle and its something I actualy enjoy watching expecialy in the balcony in the garden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thought the same about Knuble going to lengths to whiff on a puck he had teed up for a slapper as the offsides whistle blew.  Good stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Agree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I noticed this as well, there should be a video of this play sent around all circles of hockey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1punchknockout. Show 1punchknockout's posts

Agree, with the speed they were coming in at, could of been career ending

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Agreed, I saw that and was pleased.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Pure Class:
    [QUOTE]Jason Chimera. Racing for the iced puck with Boychuk, both in full stride.  As they cross the goal line, Boychuk is slightly in front of Chimera.  Knowing they are going to crash into the boards, Chimera wraps his left arm around Boychuk, holds him up/back and basically keeps him from any potential harm. If the rest of the league had that sort of respect for each other, Shanahan would be one bored hombre.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I saw that play as well. It serves as an illustration to the meaning of sportsman-ship, and how you can ultimately leave an opponent vanquished, while playing within the rules of the game. This sport provides ample opportunities to deliver clean/hard hits.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I misinterpreted the play.  I thought he was merely reaching his stick around in an attempt to get the first touch.  I was glad he didn't hit Boychuck but I didn't notice him using his opposite arm to hold Boychuck up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Thats what they did bad in the days they hit if it was clean and respect one another when need be. And each individual stood up for themselves. The biggest mistake in hockey today is taking away the instigator penalty. I just hope hockey does not become no contact league. I agree with automatic icing also.

I believe Gretzy improvised the enforcers in the NHL and was master when racing for the puck to get a no icing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Get the dresses out for the guys. We are now applauding non-checks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class:
    [QUOTE]Get the dresses out for the guys. We are now applauding non-checks.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yeah, applauding non-checks on icing calls, a very dangerous play.. as we should be. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

That's a type of bear hug that should be allowed . 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I kinda thought Boychuck interfered a little with Chimera to gain position.

(I know Crafty hinted last night that Chimera may have deserved a penalty for contact on a potential icing call...true?)

Funny how people can have differing views points on the same play.

Thankfully this play did not need to go before Sheriff Shanahan - his job is NOT easy. We shouldn't rake him over the coals for trying to do the right thing.

All I ask is from him is consistency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I still find the Flyer high hit far worse than Marchand's flip. And the hit on Horton very similar to Savard, same motion, same high intent to injure...no call, no suspension. Hypocrisy. B's are targeted by Shanahan, and those that hit B's will not get the hammer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]I kinda thought Boychuck interfered a little with Chimera to gain position. (I know Crafty hinted last night that Chimera may have deserved a penalty for contact on a potential icing call...true?) Funny how people can have differing views points on the same play. Thankfully this play did not need to go before Sheriff Shanahan - his job is NOT easy. We shouldn't rake him over the coals for trying to do the right thing. All I ask is from him is consistency.
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]

When he's attempting to circumvent the rules of fair play, to get a point across....he deserves everything he gets.  His job is tough, but much less than a referee or linesman.  He can consult with his peers, watch a play a gazillion times...slow it down frame by frame.  He has dozens of options before he makes his decision.  Not many disciplinarians have that luxury.

Anyway, cleaning up the game, means changing the culture.  That needs to start with the players and the PA, and they're leaving it all up to the league.  Pro-sport is the ultimate example of preying on weakness, taking liberties, and everything else we find offensive outside of the arena.  But the combatants are as gullible and insecure as it gets.
    When something ceases to be cool, it no longer becomes a front burner issue.  Why, because young pro athletes, have to be cool.  They'll turn on their mother before they'll knowingly become "uncool".  The sports media and hockey fans can be a positive too, as they drive a lot of perception.  There needs to be more room on the pedestal for those who best purvey the qualities of  toughness and integrity.
    The game doesn't need to be wussified, it just needs to evolve.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Ya, Knuble pretty much almost hurt himself by holding up on that offsides shot...

Character play...

Also, Brooks Laich changed a woman's tire after the Caps lost Game 7 of the 2010 playoffs and apologized for losing...

Great to see...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS,

Good post.  Charlie Hustle(washington caps) played their behinds off and worked hard.  I saw that play as well...and thats respect.  Good on Jason and thank god the refs jumped in before Z got free earlier.  Funny what Washington did minus its 3 highest paid players.  Hopefully they were taking notes.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Funny, no Backstrom, Green, or Ovechkin in the lineup and we go from talking about how they're an unsportsmanlike  team to how much class they have.

I never caught the Boychuk play, but Knuble looked he was going to dislocate something on that wiff.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

So the logical next question is:  Why?

What is it that makes a player like Chimera choose a behaviour which protects an opposing player, while some others make choices which they know (or darn well ought to know) will place a player in a situation where a potentially serious injury could occur?

The obvious answer is 'respect'.  But then, why do some players have respect for the health of others, but some don't?  Why is there (apparently) so much variability in the level of integrity amongst players?  Yes, obviously, "it takes all kinds to make a world", and there are all types of players in the NHL now -- but aren't they all "brothers" (NHLPA)? They, more than anyone, would understand the damage thata can be caused by the reckless hit.

It bothers me that some players, knowing that they have an opposing player in a vulnerable position, and have that split second to decide what to do, will opt for the dangerous hit.  To me, this is what Shanahan is attempting to deal with.  Players who have the opportunity to make a good decision, but don't, will be punished.  Shanny should put out a video acknowledging Chimera's good play, and saying "OK, THIS is how you should do it".  Use carrots, as well as sticks, as motivation to change behaviour. (BTW, I haven't seen the video yet -- I'm going by what y'all have been posting).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

...all it takes is some respect for the opponent.
    Cheers to Chimera (and Knuble). That icing could have been carnage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

A question for those with significant playing experience.

Obviously practices at all levels involve being told "don't do this don't do that" to avoid hurting other players.  Is this type of situation covered though?  Are you ever told "When in this situation the other guy is at risk so you should do this to help him avoid injury"?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]A question for those with significant playing experience. Obviously practices at all levels involve being told "don't do this don't do that" to avoid hurting other players.  Is this type of situation covered though?  Are you ever told "When in this situation the other guy is at risk so you should do this to help him avoid injury"?  
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I was taught to brace my opponent if they were going down in a dangerous situation, but only if doing so would not put us at additional risk.

However, that's on my side of the sport, so it may be different for the men's. I came up under the IIHF women's rules, and only switched to the men's rulebook (in women's leagues) when I was older. Obviously, there are differences in coaching styles between the two sides.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Right coach at the right time makes all the difference, because that play isn't about thinking "Oh, right, the league will suspend me if..." or "I don't want to injure this guy so...".  It's a split second recognition that the way to play in that situation to do what Chimera did.  And you only do that if you learn safety is  a priority early.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't ever remember a coach teaching anything like that.  Just the general 'don't make stupid hits' or 'take stupid penalties'.  The rest was up to us to figure out.  But I was never on the 'elite' track either.  Maybe those guys get better coaches.