Pure Class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Pure Class

In Response to Re: Pure Class:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Or Rene Bourque (30) or Andy Sutton (36).  More veterans who should know better.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

We're talking about classy hockey players here.

Of all of the threads we've had since your unwelcome arrival, this is the last one you should be posting in.

It's called "Pure Class", not "Guys Who Bite" or "Guys Who Dive" or "Guys with No Honor" or "Press Conference Bozos".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I hadn't noticed the Chimera thing untill this thread.  I liked seeing Knuble stop on the slapper.  Truly is classy, good catch NAS, would never have noticed that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]These are great occurances to read about.  The Chimera act should be a teachable moment for the NHL.  Does anyone think the fact both Chimera (33 years old) and Knuble (40 years old) are older veteran players have something to do with it?  Meaning as vets they perhaps maintain a healthy measure of respect for their opponents that was instilled in them as youths that connected to the values players once held for each other?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Actually, I kinda disagree.  Vets "do" dictate the whole culture, and that's why they're so important....but it's no better than 50-50 it had anything to do with what was instilled in them as youth.
    I think it's more a result of growing as both a person, and a pro hockey player.  28 year olds, not always, but usually are more mature than 21 year olds.  Whether you get into the league via toughness, or skill, your experiences change you, and you start to become more your own person as you gain more experience, and more security.   To "get in', these guys will do anything, say anything, and will gladly, be anything.  What ever that ends up being, they'll stick with that until a more stable option presents itself. 
    There's a very pronounced pecking order in pro sports.  Veterans are treated with absolute respect by the younger guys.
    It pretty much comes down to,...you become what's made you successful, and you extoll the virtues of that. 
    Your point though, the vets have a huge impact on whats considered ok, and what isn't, is very true.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : We're talking about classy hockey players here. Of all of the threads we've had since your unwelcome arrival, this is the last one you should be posting in. It's called "Pure Class", not "Guys Who Bite" or "Guys Who Dive" or "Guys with No Honor" or "Press Conference Bozos".
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Awesome.  Press Conference Bozos is my favorite.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Edler's hit on Peverly could easily be the perfect example for the worst thing you can possibly do in an icing touch up race.  No suspension for him though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : I'm responding to a post which suggested veteran players = "class".  Notice I didn't question the selection of Ference as the subject of this discussion (until now).  Ference = classy player???

if you're talking about the hit that got him suspended.  here's what the player he hit had to say about it:

“I knew he was on me, it’s a play I’ve made hundreds of times, but I didn’t realize until I saw it later that we clipped feet, and that’s what caused me to lose my balance,” McDonagh said. “Normally, you feel the guy on you and can make the decision to turn left or right, but when he hit my skate, I went flying.

"It wasn't intentional."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Without bringing the riot gear out.  What is Ference excuse?   I can almost excuse youthful plays like Marchand.  But how does a guy thats been around as long as AF not get this. And a play where he is normally the hunted. For as much of a clown as Thornton is I can say I dont recall him being subject to any type of hit like this.  Can I just say how much I like Campy again.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to see McDonagh's description of this play?  Scroll down if not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Awesome.  Press Conference Bozos is my favorite.

Are you referring to CJ's laughable comment that players should use Marchand's low-bridge "self-defense" technique, in order to reduce the number of "players being run at"?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : if you're talking about the hit that got him suspended.  here's what the player he hit had to say about it: “I knew he was on me, it’s a play I’ve made hundreds of times, but I didn’t realize until I saw it later that we clipped feet, and that’s what caused me to lose my balance,” McDonagh said. “Normally, you feel the guy on you and can make the decision to turn left or right, but when he hit my skate, I went flying. "It wasn't intentional."
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

I was at that game and from my perspective I didn't think it was intentional or even a suspension worthy play. It looked like an unfortunate accident. I never thought he deserved a 5 minute MAJOR in overtime no less, in addition to the three game suspension. Its borderline ridiculous. The last three calls againt the Bruins have been... borderline at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I agree, lambda. I still think it was the end result, a concussion from a guy who has had nothing but a history of injuries/a very brittle player on the Marchand flip. If he gets right back up, like a lot of guys who have had that happened to them, then it's just a low hip check that drew some wows. Instead, 5 game suspension...Ference looked worse, but again, then you see how even McDonagh absoloved Andrew. It's getting out of control---the over-reaction of NHL on any hits. Yet, the hit on Horton gets nothing--it was the same type of hit that was done on Marc Savard by Cook...it's high, deliberate and because it looks subtle the collision--it's going at the guy's head. That's an assault.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Anyone who goes for the head like Sesito should be tarred and feathered.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Did you happen to see McDonagh's description of this play?  Scroll down if not.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Tell him to watch the video.  It was a disgusting play by a player that always runs his mouth in the media.  Less than two weeks ago.  Good on McDonagh for not using the media. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who goes for the head like Sesito should be tarred and feathered.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Horton should say there was no intent in the media. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Are you referring to CJ's laughable comment that players should use Marchand's low-bridge "self-defense" technique, in order to reduce the number of "players being run at"?

T it for tat.  Remember who started the media circus.   AV is the toughest person in that organization.  for the record I didnt think he deserved a suspension.  Ference yes.  Marchand no. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Tell him to watch the video.  It was a disgusting play by a player that always runs his mouth in the media.  Less than two weeks ago.  Good on McDonagh for not using the media. 

i don't know mcdonagh personally, so i can't tell him.  however, i'm pretty sure he must have watched it.  look at ference's right foot make contact with mcdonagh's right foot.  it made him lose his balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXQd11HRUk

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : T it for tat.  Remember who started the media circus.   AV is the toughest person in that organization.  for the record I didnt think he deserved a suspension.  Ference yes.  Marchand no. 

Hey shupe -- answer me this:  do you honestly think that Marchand was acting in self defense?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : i don't know mcdonagh personally, so i can't tell him.  however, i'm pretty sure he must have watched it.  look at ference's right foot make contact with mcdonagh's right foot.  it made him lose his balance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXQd11HRUk
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Sure it did.  And he had no intent on Halpren as well.  Are you telling me he couldnt avoid this play, was it physically impossible?.  AF, a guy who has been chased like that many times...so many he can't keep track.  It was a dangerous play...not as bad as Torts made out at all...but why are we excusing AF for this.  I don't, the league didn't.   It was a dangerous play where it could have been much worse.  Luckily it wasnt that bad, and good on the player to not throw fuel on the fire. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Hey shupe -- answer me this:  do you honestly think that Marchand was acting in self defense?

Yes, self preservation is something that we act out in a manner that may be against the norm.  Are you saying Marchand planned this hit?  No different than a player sticking a leg out or similar plays where players duck...heck some fall to the ice to avoid a hit. .  Sometimes your instincts take over.  Marchand didnt deserve a suspension for that.  League doesnt agree with me.  It was a reputation call.  One he has earned as being a grease ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Tell him to watch the video.  It was a disgusting play by a player that always runs his mouth in the media.  Less than two weeks ago.  Good on McDonagh for not using the media. 

Totally disagree.  McDonagh could not have been clearer that his thoughts on the play were determined from watching the video.  It was another defensmen recognizing that Ference came in hard for the puck and neither guy expected McDonagh to lose balance on the skate clip.  I'm fine with the major penalty on Ference, it was a dangerous play and he's responsible for it, but there was absolutely no intent.  And leaning into an unsuspecting Halpern a year ago wasn't dirtiest thing I've ever seen either.  You bring that up a lot.

"A disgusting play"?  This is exactly what I'm talking about in your exaggeration to get a reaction around here.  It's hockey and McDonagh didn't find it dirty at all.  'Disgusting'?  You sound like an old lady sipping tea at the country club.

And now AF "runs his mouth to the media".  I can think of two instances when AF has spoken to the media on these hits.  Once to (rightly) say that Paille's hit was a bad one, while saying that Paille is an honest player and wouldn't try to hurt anyone.  The second time he stated that he was upset that Shanahan would not review a head shot he received from Torres.  A perfectly fair statement in my opinion, and far, far more measured than the public comments from other players (cover your ears 49).  I was also disappointed that Shanahan wouldn't even review it.

Why do you hate Ference?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Hey shupe -- answer me this:  do you honestly think that Marchand was acting in self defense?

I don't buy self-defense, but I don't buy "predatory" either.  It was a cheap little move which injured Salo, so I'm okay with the suspension (should have been two games).  

But, let's not pretend that's the only time we've seen that hit...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Sure it did.  And he had no intent on Halpren as well.  Are you telling me he couldnt avoid this play, was it physically impossible?.  AF, a guy who has been chased like that many times...so many he can't keep track.  It was a dangerous play...not as bad as Torts made out at all...but why are we excusing AF for this.  I don't, the league didn't.   It was a dangerous play where it could have been much worse.  Luckily it wasnt that bad, and good on the player to not throw fuel on the fire. 

are you telling me he hit mcdonagh's skate on purpose?  if he did this, i would agree with tortorella saying it is one of the dirtiest hits i've ever seen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : Are you referring to CJ's laughable comment that players should use Marchand's low-bridge "self-defense" technique, in order to reduce the number of "players being run at"?
    Was it OK with you when Raymond did it to Marchand?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pure Class : I don't buy self-defense, but I don't buy "predatory" either.  It was a cheap little move which injured Salo, so I'm okay with the suspension (should have been two games).   But, let's not pretend that's the only time we've seen that hit...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Definetly not self defense, just a move he does when he sees an oppurtunity to do so. 5 games though? Like the 3 games to Ovechkin, Shanny is handing out games like I do with candy at Halloween when I notice 30 or more kids coming and I'm already out of candy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Possibly.  Or maybe I'm referring to your former goaltender Captain who sat on the bench in Boston to save himself from the brutal slaying from team, opposition and fans when he stated that he would have stopped the puck that beat Thomas.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Talk about wrong names in a thread.

How does Marchand get mentioned so many times in a thread called "Pure Class"?