Pure Class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Pure Class

In Response to Re: Pure Class:
    A question for those with significant playing experience. Obviously practices at all levels involve being told "don't do this don't do that" to avoid hurting other players.  Is this type of situation covered though?  Are you ever told "When in this situation the other guy is at risk so you should do this to help him avoid injury"?  
    Posted by DrCC

Coaching is key....like huge.  There are coaches in minor hockey that tell kids to stay down to draw penalties...
    ANOTHER MONSTER factor is parents.  They are disgusting.  I'm very proud and happy I have the dad I do when I watch some of the parents at rinks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : Coaching is key....like huge.  There are coaches in minor hockey that tell kids to stay down to draw penalties... ANOTHER MONSTER factor is parents.  They are disgusting.  I'm very proud and happy I have the dad I do when I watch some of the parents at rinks. 
    Posted by shuperman

True dat. I've seen a parent yell "destroy him!!" to their kid on the ice. Respect is lacking in many facets of modern life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : True dat. I've seen a parent yell "destroy him!!" to their kid on the ice. Respect is lacking in many facets of modern life.
    Posted by seobrien

Coaching football for many years, I've had parents yell at their kids to lay a big lick on an opponent, then scream bloody murder when their kid gets hit.  The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Brian burke suggested this last year that players be allowed to apply a one arm bear hug and got shot down. Perhaps it's time to revisit that notion..

49North, I get the feeling your becoming a Bruins fan...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Brian burke suggested this last year that players be allowed to apply a one arm bear hug and got shot down. Perhaps it's time to revisit that notion.. 49North, I get the feeling your becoming a Bruins fan...
    Posted by kelvana33

LOL  Perish the thought!

However, I do enjoy a good, solid discussion about hockey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

So the logical next question is:  Why? What is it that makes a player like Chimera choose a behaviour which protects an opposing player, while some others make choices which they know (or darn well ought to know) will place a player in a situation where a potentially serious injury could occur? The obvious answer is 'respect'.  But then, why do some players have respect for the health of others, but some don't?  Why is there (apparently) so much variability in the level of integrity amongst players?  Yes, obviously, "it takes all kinds to make a world", and there are all types of players in the NHL now -- but aren't they all "brothers" (NHLPA)? They, more than anyone, would understand the damage thata can be caused by the reckless hit. It bothers me that some players, knowing that they have an opposing player in a vulnerable position, and have that split second to decide what to do, will opt for the dangerous hit.  To me, this is what Shanahan is attempting to deal with.  Players who have the opportunity to make a good decision, but don't, will be punished.  Shanny should put out a video acknowledging Chimera's good play, and saying "OK, THIS is how you should do it".  Use carrots, as well as sticks, as motivation to change behaviour. (BTW, I haven't seen the video yet -- I'm going by what y'all have been posting).
    Posted by 49-North

First off, it's the penalty. You're not allowed to make any type of contact with an opponent who's ahead of you in a race for the icing. Is it really a big deal that someone simply followed the rules? Technically, Chimera was close to earning a penalty and did a good job of simply staying out of the box.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : LOL  Perish the thought! However, I do enjoy a good, solid discussion about hockey.
    Posted by 49-North

That's why I find it interesting that you still come here to talk hockey. I only say that due to the reputation that even the fan base in Boston has taken on. It's funny how often I read that Bruins fans are stupid. I can go many places online to read about hockey but I feel I learn the most right here. There's a large number of intelligent and passionate fans who post here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : First off, it's the penalty. You're not allowed to make any type of contact with an opponent who's ahead of you in a race for the icing. Is it really a big deal that someone simply followed the rules? Technically, Chimera was close to earning a penalty and did a good job of simply staying out of the box.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Which is a great argument to get rid of the touch icing rule.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : That's why I find it interesting that you still come here to talk hockey. I only say that due to the reputation that even the fan base in Boston has taken on. It's funny how often I read that Bruins fans are stupid. I can go many places online to read about hockey but I feel I learn the most right here. There's a large number of intelligent and passionate fans who post here.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I know your thinking of me and Nite when you say this Dez..Thanks!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

North, spot on with the good hockey posts. NAS OMG did not see that, you are absolutely correct!  The way icing and hockey should be played is with a respect for the other player, see the numbers, don't hit.  Know your numbers are showing then realize you might be hit!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : Which is a great argument to get rid of the touch icing rule.
    Posted by shuperman

As a forward, I like the idea of being rewarded by hustle. As a D-man, I certainly understand why you'd prefer to see changes. The play is typically more dangerous for the D.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : I know your thinking of me and Nite when you say this Dez..Thanks!!
    Posted by kelvana33

In all sincerity, you guys are right there along with too many others to name.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : In all sincerity, you guys are right there along with too many others to name.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I won't ruin this hallmark moment. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : I won't ruin this hallmark moment. 
    Posted by shuperman

Too late.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : First off, it's the penalty. You're not allowed to make any type of contact with an opponent who's ahead of you in a race for the icing. Is it really a big deal that someone simply followed the rules? Technically, Chimera was close to earning a penalty and did a good job of simply staying out of the box.
    Posted by dezaruchi

49 north probably doesn't understand the concept.  he thought there was nothing wrong with this hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLvPwsnsWg

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : 49 north probably doesn't understand the concept.  he thought there was nothing wrong with this hit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLvPwsnsWg
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Good point. I forget how greasy the Finals was. It's all lost in the talk about those dirty Bruins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Dez makes you hate Vancouver even more...I still vote let these guys police there own game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

These are great occurances to read about.  The Chimera act should be a teachable moment for the NHL.  Does anyone think the fact both Chimera (33 years old) and Knuble (40 years old) are older veteran players have something to do with it?  Meaning as vets they perhaps maintain a healthy measure of respect for their opponents that was instilled in them as youths that connected to the values players once held for each other?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

These are great occurances to read about.  The Chimera act should be a teachable moment for the NHL.  Does anyone think the fact both Chimera (33 years old) and Knuble (40 years old) are older veteran players have something to do with it?  Meaning as vets they perhaps maintain a healthy measure of respect for their opponents that was instilled in them as youths that connected to the values players once held for each other?
    Posted by RichHillOntario

That's what I think.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : That's what I think.
    Posted by dezaruchi

dez - Glad you were able to interpret what I was mangling.  I'm thinking both being older may be more inclined to honour the civility displayed by those before them due to Knuble and Chimera perhaps being products of a generation of hockey in which this type of protocol was practiced.  Does this make sense?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : dez - Glad you were able to interpret what I was mangling.  I'm thinking both being older may be more inclined to honour the civility displayed by those before them due to Knuble and Chimera perhaps being products of a generation of hockey in which this type of protocol was practiced.  Does this make sense?
    Posted by RichHillOntario

I understand perfectly and agree wholeheartedly. This is finally the new gear, never played without a face shield as kids generation. I was 5 years old and playing without a shield and the earliest message I remember from my Dad regarding hockey was to keep my stick on the ice so I wouldn't hurt anyone. My Dad actually said I wouldn't be able to play anymore if I hurt someone out there. Things obviously changed some as I grew and the competition changed but the message to respect my opponent never left. Maybe the increases in salaries might also help players forget that they are playing against other human beings out there. I don't think there were guys getting run every night 20 years ago. It's sad really.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : I understand perfectly and agree wholeheartedly. This is finally the new gear, never played without a face shield as kids generation. I was 5 years old and playing without a shield and the earliest message I remember from my Dad regarding hockey was to keep my stick on the ice so I wouldn't hurt anyone. My Dad actually said I wouldn't be able to play anymore if I hurt someone out there. Things obviously changed some as I grew and the competition changed but the message to respect my opponent never left. Maybe the increases in salaries might also help players forget that they are playing against other human beings out there. I don't think there were guys getting run every night 20 years ago. It's sad really.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Without bringing the riot gear out.  What is Ference excuse?   I can almost excuse youthful plays like Marchand.  But how does a guy thats been around as long as AF not get this. And a play where he is normally the hunted.
    For as much of a clown as Thornton is I can say I dont recall him being subject to any type of hit like this. 
    Can I just say how much I like Campy again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : Without bringing the riot gear out.  What is Ference excuse?   I can almost excuse youthful plays like Marchand.  But how does a guy thats been around as long as AF not get this. And a play where he is normally the hunted. For as much of a clown as Thornton is I can say I dont recall him being subject to any type of hit like this.  Can I just say how much I like Campy again.
    Posted by shuperman

Good points all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Pure Class : Without bringing the riot gear out.  What is Ference excuse?   I can almost excuse youthful plays like Marchand.  But how does a guy thats been around as long as AF not get this. And a play where he is normally the hunted. For as much of a clown as Thornton is I can say I dont recall him being subject to any type of hit like this.  Can I just say how much I like Campy again.
    Posted by shuperman

Thornton can't catch a guy facing the boards with the puck! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Posted by shuperman

Or Rene Bourque (30) or Andy Sutton (36).  More veterans who should know better.

Sections
Shortcuts