Pure speculation; Letang trade rumors/thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Pure speculation; Letang trade rumors/thoughts?

Hearing some unsubstantiated rumors out of Pitt press that Shero may move Letang this year. Again, pure speculation, but what do you think he'd go after, what do you think they need and finally, would they go after anyone that would affect the Bruins? I personally don't think Boston need anyone for the cup run, I like the build of the team and it's not like PC to throw away talent for a rental. If they don't win this year ,they're in good shape for a few years to come. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Pure speculation; Letang trade rumors/thoughts?

are you sure you heard that right? letang just signed a pretty huge extension. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

are you sure you heard that right? letang just signed a pretty huge extension. 

Bostonfan, I'm with you 100%, it's odd. I'm just thinking, they've been a very offense oriented team for a while now and they can't seem to win the tight games (see decline of Fleury). Maybe looking for a stay at home dman to shore things up. They were exposed by Boston last year ,they know who they have to go through to get to the cup. Signing Letang to a new contract gives you a trading chip. I'm not saying I know anything, I'mjust wondering if Shero wants to tweak his team a little.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

B'S need another top 4 d-man for playoff run....

that said, i wouldn't touch Letang's contract with a Z-Man hockey stick....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

B'S need another top 4 d-man for playoff run....

that said, i wouldn't touch Letang's contract with a Z-Man hockey stick....

or a player of that style. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

I agree Boston don't need Letang,, but would Pitt go after someone Boston would want with Seidenberg being out?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Like Giardi?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I heard the panel mentioning it.  Pitt has a couple young guys they like.  Pitt can exist without letanf easily.  In fact i think if eberle for letang was out there it would help both sides.  Letang is their best chip.  He could bring in a top 6 fwd and allow them some wiggle room for a solid stay at home dman.  Pitt needs some depth up front.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

We don't need a finesse player like Letang. We need a good, big and stay at home defenseman, a guy you would not hesitate to use to kill a penalty. A guy like Seidenberg, period !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

In response to Claudorr's comment:

We don't need a finesse player like Letang. We need a good, big and stay at home defenseman, a guy you would not hesitate to use to kill a penalty. A guy like Seidenberg, period !

Agreed. Aside from Chara and Boychuk, our defense is getting softer by the day. McQuaid is far from soft, but he is no longer a factor due to his constant strange injuries.

Girardi or Methot are the best choices.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That contract is Luongo-esque.  So miserable.  It makes me happy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wonder if Letang plus would get the Predators interested if they wanted to move Weber?  It only saves them about half a million in Cap hit per year and the last 4 years of commitment.  The purpose would be to downgrade on Weber but acquire some other pieces that give them more footing for their rebuild.  Something along the lines of what the Bruins did with Seguin in getting Eriksson back along with three young players who could fill vacancies sooner rather than later.  I'd hate that.

Otherwise, yep, waiting for the news conference with an embarrassed looking Letang saying his contract forms a seal and then inhales.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Agree NAS, but GM's stare themselves blind on his stat line and gush over him. Aren't most of his assists secondary ones at that? Regardless, he'll make someone happy, at a very high price. No thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I wonder if Letang plus would get the Predators interested if they wanted to move Weber?  It only saves them about half a million in Cap hit per year and the last 4 years of commitment.  The purpose would be to downgrade on Weber but acquire some other pieces that give them more footing for their rebuild.  Something along the lines of what the Bruins did with Seguin in getting Eriksson back along with three young players who could fill vacancies sooner rather than later.  I'd hate that.

Otherwise, yep, waiting for the news conference with an embarrassed looking Letang saying his contract forms a seal and then inhales.

With the way weber is playing the throw in with letang would be malkin.   do you think weber and letang are bad contracts?   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

In response to Al-Samarraie's comment:

Hearing some unsubstantiated rumors out of Pitt press that Shero may move Letang this year. Again, pure speculation, but what do you think he'd go after, what do you think they need and finally, would they go after anyone that would affect the Bruins? I personally don't think Boston need anyone for the cup run, I like the build of the team and it's not like PC to throw away talent for a rental. If they don't win this year ,they're in good shape for a few years to come. Thoughts?

After watching them play the abs, I would definately disagree about standing pat. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

With the way weber is playing the throw in with letang would be malkin.   do you think weber and letang are bad contracts?   

In and of themselves?  I think Letang was a mistake on Shero's part and Weber an RFA-coerced best of a bad situation. 

Next year, when his deal kicks in, Letang will be the third highest cap hit among defenseman - behind Suter and Weber - depending on what Subban gets.  He didn't even make the long list of Team Canada D.  I think it's worse for Pittsburgh than it would be for others given the challegne of keeping Malkin and Crosby together.  They'll have $35.5M committed to Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang and Fleury.  D and G are where Pittsburgh has issues, and the Letang deal robs them of some flexibility to address those issues.  Plus, Matt Niskanen is way out in front of him offensively this year, and Maatta is in front of him as well.  He's not good enough in his own end to not be the top offensive performer on Pitt's D.  All that said...the deal hasn't started yet.  He's only a $3.5 hit this year.  He's playing like it.  If they'd waited and signed him now or at the end of the year, I think they get him at a the mid way point between his current and future cap hits.  Shero let the fear of losing him push him higher than his gut said to go.

Weber's a freak.  He's the second leading scorer in Nashville, has 15 goals, mentors Seth Jones, and is a moving chunk of granite out there.  If that deal had come after the lockout, it wouldn't have been as palatable.  The first 8 years, Weber makes $92M for a cap hit of $11.5M.  Honestly? No one player will be worth $11.5 for the next 3-4 years unless the cap skyrockets.  That's close to 18% of this year's cap.  It would be over 16% of next year's cap.  For a team like Nashville that is desperately in need of a talent upgrade across the board, as good as Weber is, he's a luxury they can't really afford and probably more valuable to them as trade bait.  Philly wants him so bad, maybe the Predators should look there - a package that includes Simmonds, Couturier, Coburn and a first sounds like something Homer  might do....  I don't know that that's equal value for Weber, but I'm fairly certain the Predators would be significantly better at two top-six forward positions (size, skill, grit - all around), and that Philly's pick will be in the top half of the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I know 

Too bad Gainey wasn't still around. He would take the contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bob Gainey...Sin Eater.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And Holmgren would do that trade in a heartbeat. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Weber's a freak.  He's the second leading scorer in Nashville, has 15 goals, mentors Seth Jones, and is a moving chunk of granite out there.  If that deal had come after the lockout, it wouldn't have been as palatable.  The first 8 years, Weber makes $92M for a cap hit of $11.5M.  Honestly? No one player will be worth $11.5 for the next 3-4 years unless the cap skyrockets.  That's close to 18% of this year's cap.  It would be over 16% of next year's cap.  For a team like Nashville that is desperately in need of a talent upgrade across the board, as good as Weber is, he's a luxury they can't really afford and probably more valuable to them as trade bait.  Philly wants him so bad, maybe the Predators should look there - a package that includes Simmonds, Couturier, Coburn and a first sounds like something Homer  might do....  I don't know that that's equal value for Weber, but I'm fairly certain the Predators would be significantly better at two top-six forward positions (size, skill, grit - all around), and that Philly's pick will be in the top half of the draft.

Weber's cap hit is $7.85M, so it's fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In and of themselves?  I think Letang was a mistake on Shero's part and Weber an RFA-coerced best of a bad situation. 

Next year, when his deal kicks in, Letang will be the third highest cap hit among defenseman - behind Suter and Weber - depending on what Subban gets.  He didn't even make the long list of Team Canada D.  I think it's worse for Pittsburgh than it would be for others given the challegne of keeping Malkin and Crosby together.  They'll have $35.5M committed to Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang and Fleury.  D and G are where Pittsburgh has issues, and the Letang deal robs them of some flexibility to address those issues.  Plus, Matt Niskanen is way out in front of him offensively this year, and Maatta is in front of him as well.  He's not good enough in his own end to not be the top offensive performer on Pitt's D.  All that said...the deal hasn't started yet.  He's only a $3.5 hit this year.  He's playing like it.  If they'd waited and signed him now or at the end of the year, I think they get him at a the mid way point between his current and future cap hits.  Shero let the fear of losing him push him higher than his gut said to go.

Good reply.  I think Weber is amazing.  Love him almost as much as Dats.  As for Letang and Pitt they always seem to manage the cap well, hes still pretty young, mobile and is far from soft, i find him a bit dirty.  Hes their best dman.  I know hes not having a great year.  I think all long term deals are bad as you know.   

Your philly offer for Weber i would take.  Thats a great haul.   I think Nashville should take a look at dealing him.   Look at the Caps for example.  They have plenty of prospects and current roster players they could make a play for him.  He would be an absolute perfect fit for them.  

carlson, johanson, burakovsky and a 1st.  

How about the habs for pk, plekanec

how about the Bruins....dougie, loui, brad.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Good reply.  I think Weber is amazing.  Love him almost as much as Dats.  As for Letang and Pitt they always seem to manage the cap well, hes still pretty young, mobile and is far from soft, i find him a bit dirty.  Hes their best dman.  I know hes not having a great year.  I think all long term deals are bad as you know.   

Your philly offer for Weber i would take.  Thats a great haul.   I think Nashville should take a look at dealing him.   Look at the Caps for example.  They have plenty of prospects and current roster players they could make a play for him.  He would be an absolute perfect fit for them.  

[/QUOTE]

Next to Chara. Weber is my favourite d-man, but I can't include one the best Bruin money guy who shows up during play-off runs. I'd offer 5 1st round picks before I'd throw Brad in there. The top six need to stay intact & if Hamilton is going to be moved than that also means Krug needs to stay. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to Al-Samarraie's comment:

they just signed him so i doubt they would trade him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I see the Scabs traded Diaz to the Nucks for Dale Weise, oh oh the Scabs are toughening up, they need to get some back up for their only other tough guy Gallagher. No Weise for the Nuck game on Tuesday, was hoping maybe a Weise/Miller tilt or something. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Next to Chara. Weber is my favourite d-man, but I can't include one the best Bruin money guy who shows up during play-off runs. I'd offer 5 1st round picks before I'd throw Brad in there. The top six need to stay intact & if Hamilton is going to be moved than that also means Krug needs to stay. 

Brads last 2 playoff runs havent been that great.   Had Brad been on in the finals it could have been a different result.  Brad is a heck of a player.  Weber is a franchise player.   

Sections
Shortcuts