Purely Hypothetical...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Purely Hypothetical...

Assuming Thomas wins the Vezina this year, and has, whatever the result, a respectable post-season.  Assume he wants to play out his current deal, and maybe then some. Also assume that Khudobin's limited NHL exposure is an accurate measure of his potential - that is, he's a potential #1, and at least an NHL goalie.  Would the Bruins decide to ride Thomas and Khudobin for the next three or four years and see what kind of sweet return Rask might fetch?  I'm not talking the usual "blow your doors off" offer that almost any GM would take for any player - like Edmonton calling with a Hall/Eberle two pack.

Keep in mind that Rask's next deal will be his last RFA deal.  He'll finish next year as a 25 year old and probably look for a 2 year deal so he's a UFA at the end.  Buying UFA years would be expensive.  The Bruins can't play this out forever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Re: Purely Hypothetical...

you think the contract of thomas was done by accident? its no coincidence that the NMC disappears and the salary drops off the same year rask will be an RFA. Thomas plays out next season, and then gets moved, or made the backup

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

IF IF IF Khudobin is as advertised, I absolutely would. It's high-risk, high-reward, but with Timmy in the fold and the trend towards cheaper goaltenders and better forwards and D, I would dangle Rask.

I would deal him for (a) dynamic winger, (b) package for Weber (unlikely, Rinne) or defensman on that level, (c) top 5 pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Purely Hypothetical...:
    Assuming Thomas wins the Vezina this year, and has, whatever the result, a respectable post-season.  Assume he wants to play out his current deal, and maybe then some. Also assume that Khudobin's limited NHL exposure is an accurate measure of his potential - that is, he's a potential #1, and at least an NHL goalie.  Would the Bruins decide to ride Thomas and Khudobin for the next three or four years and see what kind of sweet return Rask might fetch?  I'm not talking the usual "blow your doors off" offer that almost any GM would take for any player - like Edmonton calling with a Hall/Eberle two pack. Keep in mind that Rask's next deal will be his last RFA deal.  He'll finish next year as a 25 year old and probably look for a 2 year deal so he's a UFA at the end.  Buying UFA years would be expensive.  The Bruins can't play this out forever.
    Posted by Bookboy007

book i was lucky enough to see khudobin play in providence and i was impressed no doubt i think he is potential #1. i like the idea too its thinking outside the box. its just anything i have ever read or heard has indicated that the bruins are in rask corner no matter what hes the future of bruins. the contract brings up an interesting scenario with thomas deal included. i think its more likely that people may come calling for khudobin the more they see of him in providence but u never know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

bless his heart, but whatever happens the b's should try and move TT at season's end, salary & age being key factors....

teams like the Flyers & Sharks may be willing to pay the premium considering their goalie's perfomances thus far in the playoffs....

that said, i reserve the right to change my mind if Double T leads the b's to hoisting Lord Stanley....  oh yeah, and being named playoff MVP....

not ready to give up on Tuukka....  not even close....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think that Chiarelli's thinking is Rask to a 3 year deal Thomas with a one year extension if Tim balks he gets moved all the while Khudobin has to put in his time in for now in Providence. 

If the Hypothetical is who's the odd man out ? Rask is the one who has to be the 09'-10' Tuukka next year when he gets his starts or Chiarelli has to look at making a decision so Rask is the key because Thomas might take the Osgood "I'm not moving my family now" approach of one year deals.

PC gets what he wants with the 6th Dman and now at the goalie position competition. If I'm forced to make a choice right now as I always go, youth movement, Thomas will be the odd goalie out after a one year extension.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Khudobin seems like he could be a risk.  One of those guys that if he doesn't get his way, he will just go play in the KHL.  Like Bryzgalov...throwing a hissy fit and saying he is going to the KHL is Phoenix move to Winipeg.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Thomas won't have a choice....in the last year of his contract he doesn't have a NMC. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The premise here is that right now, Thomas is the top goalie so they might not move him even if his NMC's gone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My theory is go with what you know.
    You might not like Rask, but you've seen his potential and he's not going backward.
    Who knows what the other guy brings to the table.
    So better the devil you know rather than the one you don't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

In Response to Purely Hypothetical...:
    Assuming Thomas wins the Vezina this year, and has, whatever the result, a respectable post-season.  Assume he wants to play out his current deal, and maybe then some. Also assume that Khudobin's limited NHL exposure is an accurate measure of his potential - that is, he's a potential #1, and at least an NHL goalie.  Would the Bruins decide to ride Thomas and Khudobin for the next three or four years and see what kind of sweet return Rask might fetch?  I'm not talking the usual "blow your doors off" offer that almost any GM would take for any player - like Edmonton calling with a Hall/Eberle two pack. Keep in mind that Rask's next deal will be his last RFA deal.  He'll finish next year as a 25 year old and probably look for a 2 year deal so he's a UFA at the end.  Buying UFA years would be expensive.  The Bruins can't play this out forever.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I would ride this duo for as long as possible.
    Only if a deal with the Avs could be made to move up to number three in the draft this year would i break it up.
    If we could get up in the Larsson, Nugent,Landeskog territory i would do it.
    It is going to be a long time before we have a high pick again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I voted "yes" for a good young defenseman.

My thought here, is that I am open minded to dealing anyone if it improves the team.  Before the season, my two "un-tradeable" assets were Rask and Seguin, after the seeing the year unfold, I would be open to trading anyone, including those two, Thomas, Krejci, anyone if it improves the team.  My binky cupboard is bare right now, but still happy with the team overall. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

having 3 goalies isn't bad, and since we can keep 1 in the minors without issue it's great.  I think we were lucky this year that neither Rask or Thomas went down with an injury.  Plus, goalies just don't get much for a return.  I wouldn't move a good goalie or one with potential until I was forced to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

The kid's still got a ton of potential. I said no, because as good as Thomas is, he's 37 years old. The guy's gonna break down sooner than later, and we've already seen a glimpse of Rask's potential with him breaking out last year. Khudobin is still an unknown, as he could very well be a short flash in the pan guy that falls off the map after a few years. If we trade Rask, it could very well be a very good move that solidifies us up front or on the back end, but what happens if we end up like the Red Sox SS, a revolving door that isn't solved for years? Like BadHab said, better the devil you know than the one you don't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

i would trade Thomas after this season while he has some value.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

they could re sign Ryder and strap the pads on him. He is a ball hockey goalie in the summer. What an fn save. LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I said YES, for a winger... and I'd bet Philly would be interested.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Purely Hypothetical...:
    I said YES, for a winger... and I'd bet Philly would be interested. Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey

I bet Holmgren would offer Jeff Carter...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

Rask is a future Vezina winner in this league.  He's fundamentally sound, is big in the net, has great reflexes, and a great compete level.  No way do we move him, he's the future of the Bruins in net.  Tim Thomas is getting old and will not be resigned after his current contract is up, unless he takes a huge salary decrease and is okay with being a backup. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The kid's still got a ton of potential. I said no, because as good as Thomas is, he's 37 years old. The guy's gonna break down sooner than later, and we've already seen a glimpse of Rask's potential with him breaking out last year. Khudobin is still an unknown, as he could very well be a short flash in the pan guy that falls off the map after a few years. If we trade Rask, it could very well be a very good move that solidifies us up front or on the back end, but what happens if we end up like the Red Sox SS, a revolving door that isn't solved for years? Like BadHab said, better the devil you know than the one you don't.
    Posted by beantowngm15

Anyone else seeing "Bookboy007" over beantowngm15's stats on the left?  Bizarre.  It's not like he's trolling me, and the "ignore" at the bottom still has his real username.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Purely Hypothetical... : Anyone else seeing "Bookboy007" over beantowngm15's stats on the left?  Bizarre.  It's not like he's trolling me, and the "ignore" at the bottom still has his real username.
    Posted by Bookboy007

That's weird. I don't see it, but that's probably 'cause it's my account. Anyone else seeing what Bookboy is?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Purely Hypothetical... : That's weird. I don't see it, but that's probably 'cause it's my account. Anyone else seeing what Bookboy is?
    Posted by beantowngm15

No.  These forums have some weird hiccups sometimes.  Usually just a wrongly loaded avatar, I can't think if I've ever seen a wholly swapped profile pane.  You just changed your avatar right?  That could be related.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Deal Thomas next year. Keep Rask...the future

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

No, you deal Thomas, not Rask. Thomas makes more money and if the Vezina winner wins a Cup, that's just a cherry on top in terms of using Thomas as the chip for a team that simply needs a goalie (Vancouver, Philly, etc, etc, etc, etc). I said this before, but if this team wins the Cup, that makes the decision that much easier to market Thomas. Not Rask. Even if they don't win it all, always sell high. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

NEWS FLASH  VANCOUVER HAS 2 GOOD GOALIES SAME AS BRUINS...... ONE IS UP FOR THE VEZ AGAINST TT......

Sections
Shortcuts