Put Recchi behind the bench

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Put Recchi behind the bench

Some will say this is unrealistic or a pipedream, but hey, other teams have made changes late in the season, so why not the Bruins?

Our next coach is within our midst.  If I were Neely and PC, I'd approach Recchi about going behind the B's bench.  This season, never mind next.  

Over the past 3 months, it's pretty obvious the up-and-down B's have lost their confidence and their identity...and Julien appears to have lost the team...so how about we NOT wait until the season's completely lost to try to save it? 

What do the Bruins have to lose that they haven't already lost?  Julien's gone if B's don't win two series anyways, and...have we had any/many indications that a Julien-led club is likely to win more than one playoff series this year? 

Reportedly Recchi's likely to retire after this season and wants to stay in hockey, he likes Boston and the B's organization. 

Most importantly, Recchi knows the team and the organization, has the respect of the players, management, media and fans, understands the mindset of today's player (and management), is a future Hall of Famer who's won multiple Cups with different clubs (and has played under probably every "system" known to the NHL), and knows the Bruins players and the league inside-out.

PC and Neely:  Ya wanna see the B's flying around the rink again?  Talk to Recchi, see what he says.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

Re: Put Recchi behind the bench

In Response to Put Recchi behind the bench:
    Some will say this is unrealistic or a pipedream, but hey, other teams have made changes late in the season, so why not the Bruins? Our next coach is within our midst.  If I were Neely and PC, I'd approach Recchi about going behind the B's bench.  This season, never mind next.   Over the past 3 months, it's pretty obvious the up-and-down B's have lost their confidence and their identity...and Julien appears to have lost the team...so how about we NOT wait until the season's completely lost to try to save it?  What do the Bruins have to lose that they haven't already lost?  Julien's gone if B's don't win two series anyways, and...have we had any/many indications that a Julien-led club is likely to win more than one playoff series this year?  Reportedly Recchi's likely to retire after this season and wants to stay in hockey, he likes Boston and the B's organization.  Most importantly, Recchi knows the team and the organization, has the respect of the players, management, media and fans, understands the mindset of today's player (and management), is a future Hall of Famer who's won multiple Cups with different clubs (and has played under probably every "system" known to the NHL), and knows the Bruins players and the league inside-out. PC and Neely:  Ya wanna see the B's flying around the rink again?  Talk to Recchi, see what he says.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

Ohh, BC, I have thought of this often and I'm so pleased that you posted this.  Also, doesn't Recchi partially own an OHL team?  I think he would be a perfect candidate, albeit maybe not right away, but he should be on a short list for our future Coach.  I really hope he's in the conversation when discussing this issue.  Thanks for posting this!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Of course, let's not focus on the fact that he has the sum total of zero experience.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I could see him coaching in the future. No way would I want him to take the reigns so late in the season with 0 experience. IF Julien were to get fired (doubtful) I would imagine Jarvis would be the one to fill in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Put Recchi behind the bench:
    Of course, let's not focus on the fact that he has the sum total of zero experience.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

This is easy to knock, I get it, however Terry O'Reilly also had zero experience when he led the '87-'88 B's to their first playoff win over Montreal in approximately 30 years.  And as would be true with Recchi, O'Reilly began that job with the respect of everyone, not mention high intelligence and the will to win.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Put Recchi behind the bench : This is easy to knock, I get it, however Terry O'Reilly also had zero experience when he led the '87-'88 B's to their first playoff win over Montreal in approximately 30 years.  And as would be true with Recchi, O'Reilly began that job with the respect of everyone, not mention high intelligence and the will to win.  
    Posted by BruinsCountry

Neely led that team.  This team has no Neely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I could see him coaching in the future. No way would I want him to take the reigns so late in the season with 0 experience. IF Julien were to get fired (doubtful) I would imagine Jarvis would be the one to fill in.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Two things about Jarvis:

- He may not want to be a head coach (he was out of hockey last season). 

- Jarvis and Julien have worked together in the past, he was brought here by Julien and may feel loyal to him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BritishColumbiaBruin. Show BritishColumbiaBruin's posts

In Response to Re: Put Recchi behind the bench : Neely led that team.  This team has no Neely.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Last time I checked Bourque was the captain of that team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Bourque and Neely led the B's from the mid-80's on, but they didn't beat Montreal in the playoffs (over consecutive seasons) until 1988 under O'Reilly.

My main point?  I believe Coach Recchi would have the current group's hearts and minds pretty damn fast.  Given the alternatives, I think he'd be the best choice to step in with this team at this time.

(Just to finish on O'Reilly in '88:  Asst. Coach John Cunniff and veteran goalie Reggie Lemelin deserved a lot of the credit as well, truth be told.  O'Reilly was always considered a driven coach who kept his players motivated, leaving most of the x's and o's to the very able Cunniff.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Put Recchi behind the bench : Two things about Jarvis:  - He may not want to be a head coach (he was out of hockey last season).   - Jarvis and Julien have worked together in the past, he was brought here by Julien and may feel loyal to him.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

You could say both things about Recchi. You can also add that maybe since Recchi is still playing maybe he doesn't want to coach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Put Recchi behind the bench : You could say both things about Recchi. You can also add that maybe since Recchi is still playing maybe he doesn't want to coach.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Player-Coach? Would be really intersting. I bet Recchi would keep himself off the ice on the PK and 4-4 though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Put Recchi behind the bench : Player-Coach? Would be really intersting. I bet Recchi would keep himself off the ice on the PK and 4-4 though.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

One would hope he would take himself off the ice in both situations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Love to see REX behind the bench, but his home is in Pittsburg and he has good vibes with a lot of teams. Taking over as head coach is a bigger jump than most realize. As noted, John Cunifff was the action guy for O'Rielly plus Bourque and Neely. Claude's system worked until the rest of the league realized that speed could destroy the Defense, and Clogging the middle created more visual problems for the goalies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Not to be negtaive but how do we know that someone with zero experience behind the bench would do better tha someone that has us in top spot in our div.  and one of the tops teams in the league all year. 
    the panic button people press in here is staggering.  I would CJ numbers up against any coach over the last 3 yrs. 
    Now, I am no CJ fan b/c his hockey is boring and predictable and most important - it can be be beat in the playoffs. 

This is his last crack. w/o a successful playoff run I think he is done.  But at least give him the final 10 games of the regular season.  Bash away in the playoffs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Not to be negtaive but how do we know that someone with zero experience behind the bench would do better tha someone that has us in top spot in our div.  and one of the tops teams in the league all year.  the panic button people press in here is staggering.  I would CJ numbers up against any coach over the last 3 yrs.  Now, I am no CJ fan b/c his hockey is boring and predictable and most important - it can be be beat in the playoffs.  This is his last crack. w/o a successful playoff run I think he is done.  But at least give him the final 10 games of the regular season.  Bash away in the playoffs
    Posted by shuperman

If Recchi has the ability to inspire the troops,he should be able to do it from where he is now,not behind the bench.I mean,would whatever he has to say be any different if he's wearing equipment or not?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

A good coach can be made by having a good captain. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i think he should be player-coach.  if a player-coach worked for the chiefs, it should work for the bruins.  i think we have more depth and better goaltending than the chiefs had.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I agree with goodnewsbears.  Player-Coach, #28, Mark Recchi!!!!!!

Seriously though, I think he is basically an assistant coach now.  I dont think getting rid of Julien and putting Rex back there would help things at this point.  I think Julien is out of touch with the players and what needs to happen out there though.  Remember the western road trip:  They arent playing like that anymore because Julien has them on short leashes.  I honestly think if he had more of a grasp on who plays well in what situations, they would be playing better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

who would be our hansen line? thorty, mcquaid and lucic?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Ference (Steve), McQuaid (Jeff) & Thornton (Jack).  I say Ference because when you push his button he is a psycho, just like Steve was.  I can picture him screaming at a ref, "Im listening to the F U C K I N' song!" 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Mark Recchi will probably make a better than average coach, but throwing him in now and get his baptism in the playoffs - no.

Terry O'Reilly may not have had any experience before taking the Coaching job, but at least he had the whole regular season to work with before his team beat the Habs in the playoffs.

Harry Sinden is not here, so Julien can rest for the remainder of the year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

And I thought this was a post to bench the old f art.....Darn

Slower than molasses....He is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

Dumbest post. ever.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Dumbest post. ever.
    Posted by 40YrsNoCup

I can live with that.  Say how about YOU posting something original yourself, vs. your usual m.o. of simply putting down what other people say...

Sections
Shortcuts