Put The Lines Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re: Put The Lines Back

Take a look at the results over the last 13 games

You'd be out of your mind to change anything

If you follow the logic thrown around on this thread, then swap Bergeron or Soderberg for Krejci

Leave it alone - it ain't broke

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Let's not have change for change's sake. Yes Eriksson is playing better, and showing the skills he has been known for, and helping to make the 3rd line a solid unit. Last nite, chicago spent all nite checking Kreji's line, and Bergie scored two, then Soderberg scores. Why change anything unless there is a better player than Smith available with the same speed and agressiveness, and agressiveness is not one of Eriksson's skills,which helps Bergeron and marchand. the only weak linc that better teams exploit is Thornton, but both claude and Campbell/Paille want him on the ice.

I don't see this happening, at all. I find it strange that Thornton has become yours & Stanley's, whipping boy (good company, by the way).

The 4th line usually spends their time in the other teams' end of the ice. Thornton plays less than 9 minutes a game, is a +3, and has 5 goals, which is only 3 less than Eriksson.

The two players used most in Thornton's place, are Caron and Nick Johnson, who are a combined 1 goal & -9 in 37 games.

No matter how many times you and Stanley insult Thornton, I just see a hard working grinder, that never makes me nervous, when he is on the ice.

I guess Julien agrees. Even last night, in the last minute, and a Rask shutout on the line, Claude had the 4th line on the ice, and they had Chicago bottled up in their own zone.

But I'm sure, you and Stanley know way more than Julien.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

If you follow the logic thrown around on this thread, then swap Bergeron or Soderberg for Krejci

I agree.. no changes required..  if any player deserves to be moved up its soderberg and that won't happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

We're a whisker away from being able to say this is the best stretch in Bruins history.  90 fekin years.

Entering the month of March, the B's were already in an "elite" category with an avg 3.10 goals per game, and a 2.18 gaa.

That's since improved on both ends.  Goals scored has gone up to 3.53/game and that's a considerable increase.  GAA has plumeted from an already outstanding 2.18, to other worldly status of 1.46.

During this incredible stretch, which is upwards of a quarter of the NHL season , the 1st line has only scored 4 more goals than the second.  The second line has scored 2 more than the third.  That seems like pretty good balance to me.

All of this is happening, while the team is experiencing a killer schedule that had virtually everyone concerned going into the month.

The more I ponder the need to break up lines 2 and 3, the less sense it seems to make. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Okay, so now that Eriksson is back to the ice and has had some turns on the third line, I think it's time to put him back with better players and let his ability start to shine.

The playoff picture is fine.  They can dick around for a couple of games with line combos to see if there is a better match.  I'm going to guess that Eriksson with Bergeron and Marchand will be a better match than Smith with those two.

For the last 20 games, Smith is 1-5-6.  Playing with Bergeron and Marchand, a Skating Clown could have those stats.

Put Eriksson back!

I have to agree that at least try it a couple of games, it may help smith also get his confidence back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Exchanging Smith for Loui for a few games will not break what we have today but just maybe could improve it. It’s the only change worth looking at. The rest is just fine.  13 regular season games do not match playoff games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Have Bergeron and/or Soderberg been hard in the tank for almost two months?  No?  Then you aren't following the logic.

And no one is surprised.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

I agree with you. Loui still not playing that great so why move him up. Let Smith work it out on the 2nd line. If its not broke why fix it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The consensus among those that would like to see line changes seems to consist of "well why not", and/or Louis is deserving of some kind of promotion.  Is there more?

It's not like LE has never played with Marchand and Bergeron before.  

Why not try Jarvis behind the bench.  Never know what may happen?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Have Bergeron and/or Soderberg been hard in the tank for almost two months?  No?  Then you aren't following the logic.

And no one is surprised.

well if it's your logic to make changes to the team that's steamrolling the NHL right now...and to take away a line mate of Bergeron who's having an MVP type season.

then you're right-

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

And no one is surprised.

I don't think Smith's been in the tank nas.  He just hasn't been scoring.  His line is playing well, and that speaks volumes.  Impossible for that to happen in todays NHL, if 33% of your line isn't showing up.   The third line has been playing well too, and that further negates a real need to mess with both combo's.

I'm all for improvement, and there's always room for it.   I'm just in disagreement that changing 2 of the 3 top lines around, in the middle of unprecedented success is a good place to go looking for that improvement.

I'm not sure the players would like the idea either.  They like stability and rythm,... winning is supposed to give that to them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"...I'm not sure the players would like the idea either.  They like stability and rythm,... winning is supposed to give that to them." - 'stevegm'

Not to mention, hockey players worship superstition. These guys don't change their socks when they win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

And no one is surprised.

Loui has been in rhe tank all year... his better play of late has lots to do with soder..the team is burning hot unless there was a winger making a case for himself that would even consider a promtion then maybe bur there's not... so leave it the same

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

And no one is surprised.

Loui has been in rhe tank all year... his better play of late has lots to do with soder..the team is burning hot unless there was a winger making a case for himself that would even consider a promtion then maybe bur there's not... so leave it the same

I think Loui could score 100 goals and you'd find a way to say he's bad

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

In response to marco0863's comment:

And no one is surprised.

I think Loui could score 100 goals and you'd find a way to say he's bad

Why?  

And how about starting with 30... 

I think loui can have 10 pts at the end of the year and you'll still find a way to say he's awesome and worth every penny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

These two guys are pretty easily interchangeable. I probably lean towards not messing with things while the Bruins are winning, but if I did, it would be to get Smith going by putting him with Soderberg...which I don't view as a demotion. I think Loui is better in the puck possession department, which has been a real strength of the 3rd line, while Smith just seems to have that natural "finishing touch". I have a feeling that Soderberg feeding Smith some well-timed passes in the slot would certainly pull him out of his scoring funk in a hurry. Having the constantly-communicating Kelly out there with the youngster wouldn't hurt him either. They worked well together earlier in the season, so who knows. I can see why Claude is real hesitant to make any changes though. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

i only bring this thread back because riley smith has way to many shifts were i couldnt honestley tell u if he was out there or not with bergeron and marchand. i know the 3 rd line is humming with ericcson soderberg and kelly so i was thinking what about paille in with the 2nd line. i know this team is flying high but i wonder if the coaching staff feels the same way , in that smith has hit the wall and maybe a vet with great speed could benafit the bergeron line. just a thought

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold's comment:

i only bring this thread back because riley smith has way to many shifts were i couldnt honestley tell u if he was out there or not with bergeron and marchand. i know the 3 rd line is humming with ericcson soderberg and kelly so i was thinking what about paille in with the 2nd line. i know this team is flying high but i wonder if the coaching staff feels the same way , in that smith has hit the wall and maybe a vet with great speed could benafit the bergeron line. just a thought

That's a bit too extreme for me, BNG.

Eriksson is a second line player (or first) on almost every team in the league.  Paille is a third line player on some teams.  Putting Paille on the second line doesn't really follow the original thought.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

No leave the lines alone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

That's a bit too extreme for me, BNG.

Eriksson is a second line player (or first) on almost every team in the league.  Paille is a third line player on some teams.  Putting Paille on the second line doesn't really follow the original thought.

i am not trying to be extreme nas just pro active. my thinking was along the line of paille speed being a decent fit into that line. i just think smith has hit a wall, smith is not there. it feels like he has been stuck on 19 goals for months. and i was all for ericcson back there but i cant argue with how well the 3rd line has played so that was were i came up with another option

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

No leave the lines alone.

kitch, honest question. what do think of smiths play for last month in a half and also his play today? not trying to argue just want different voice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Smith gets game winner today (against the Flyers). Funk finished. Keep the lines as is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Smith gets game winner today (against the Flyers). Funk finished. Keep the lines as is.

ya with no one on the ice but him and steve mason. how did he do during the game?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

ya with no one on the ice but him and steve mason. how did he do during the game?

Did he play?  It looked like the Marchand and Bergeron were out there alone up front.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Did he play?  It looked like the Marchand and Bergeron were out there alone up front.

nas pierre magiure did 1 of his classic kiss butt video montage about patrice bergeron and in the 5 highlights they showed bergeron playing unbelieveable in all 3 zones not once did reilly smith's number 18 flash in the segment.

this is starting to feel like im just killing smith but if u asked me before sochi who i thought was going to take the 7th player award it would have been hands down reilly smith but since then he has disappeared and soderberg all but sealed 7th player up with his proformance yesterday against the Caps.

*((( congrats on 20,000 posts kid thats is definately a fan of the boston bruins haha)))*

Sections
Shortcuts