Put The Lines Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Put The Lines Back

Okay, so now that Eriksson is back to the ice and has had some turns on the third line, I think it's time to put him back with better players and let his ability start to shine.

The playoff picture is fine.  They can dick around for a couple of games with line combos to see if there is a better match.  I'm going to guess that Eriksson with Bergeron and Marchand will be a better match than Smith with those two.

For the last 20 games, Smith is 1-5-6.  Playing with Bergeron and Marchand, a Skating Clown could have those stats.

Put Eriksson back!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Put The Lines Back

"Eriksson, however, is humming on the third line with Chris Kelly and Carl Soderberg. Julien was wary of busting up a very good third line to repair the No. 2 unit.

“I thought about it,” Julien said. “The thing that made me hesitate was that third line has been so good. Do you break a good line to try and fix another one?”

The coaching staff also wanted to give Smith a chance to fight through his slump, which he snapped Monday with a third-period goal against the Wild. It was Smith’s first such stretch as a Bruin without a goal. It will not be his last.

“I wanted him to work through it,” Julien said. “It’s also a learning process. I’ve talked to him about that. In the last week, I’ve had a couple chats with him, trying to make him relax a little bit more. Work your way through it. It’s important for those young guys to understand that we still have confidence in them and we still believe they can do the job. We’re willing to be patient with them as long as we see them working through it."

Now is the time to see if it works. I do like the way Eriksson plays with Soderberg though. As long as LouI doesn't get taken off the 2nd unit PP (should be the 1st Unit ?!) i'm fine with what Julien does in this situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Shupe and I were discussing this a couple of weeks ago. Eriksson is a top 6 forward. Smith is not. Eriksson is too good of a player to not get top 6 minutes. Maybe putting Smith with Soderberg will get Smith going again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

I was just thinking that if it weren't for how well that third line was playing right now, we probably already would have seen Smith "demoted" and Eriksson moved up. Given Smith's struggles, I wouldn't be surprised to see that change made soon, although CJ does tend to wait an awful long time to switch lines up. He really does like balance.

<edit> meh, just noticed SanDog's comment before mine posted; what he said!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Yes its time to make the move or at least give it a try for a couple of games to see how it effects both lines. This is Smith's first full year. I think Loui is already starting to get more ice time than Smith mostly becasue of PK though. Also should we put Machand back on the PP for another look.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'd be in favor of that.  The upside with Eriksson is higher, but because Smith is still playing pretty well too I don't think he hurts Kelly and Soderberg.  

If for some reason it just doesn't work, it would be nice to know that now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

If things were a little bit tighter for Boston. I wouldn't do it, only because you're taking that chance of messing up 2 lines for the hope of improvement for one player. But where things are now I say go for it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

instead of a line change-up, why not just sit smith for a game or two. this seems to be something clode is willing to do if a player starts to "underperform". it's just really hard for me to break up that 3rd line... they are playing great. i'd do it sooner than later, so when smith returns to the bergy line (and shows no spark) there is time to still switch he and loui

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Smith plays pretty well with Soderberg - lots of good connections on the PP when they're out there together.  Smith seems to read the way Soderberg approaches the game when he as the puck and Soderberg seems able to find Smith in space.  How many of Smith's PPG does Soderberg have an assist on?  So, yeah, I think they'd be okay if Julien made the move.

At the same time, it's not like the Bruins as a team are struggling to score, and Smith isn't exactly holding Bergeron back - Bergeron's got 13 points in 15 games since the Olympics and 7 of his 23 goals.  So maybe Smith isn't producing himself, but his line is.  And if you trot out the least respected stat in hockey, he's +7 over that same stretch.

So, yeah, try it and, to quote Esa Tikkanen, siwahappa.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

instead of a line change-up, why not just sit smith for a game or two. this seems to be something clode is willing to do if a player starts to "underperform". it's just really hard for me to break up that 3rd line... they are playing great. i'd do it sooner than later, so when smith returns to the bergy line (and shows no spark) there is time to still switch he and loui

Sitting him won't build confidence. It could shatter it. When they sat Lucic last year that was different. Lucic wasn't playing his game at all. Smith is still working his tail off & trying & he's not causing goals, or miscues that results in scoring chances against them. He's just not producing. But a demotion to the 3rd line will still help his confidence. The fact that Bergeron seems to trying to score a lot more since the break could also be an impact. Maybe Bergeron has changed his positioning a bit on Smith & that has affected his timing? Regardless, I don't think sitting Smith at this juncture is the answer. 

“I wanted him to work through it,” Julien said. “It’s also a learning process. I’ve talked to him about that. In the last week, I’ve had a couple chats with him, trying to make him relax a little bit more. Work your way through it. It’s important for those young guys to understand that we still have confidence in them and we still believe they can do the job. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My guess is that they are thinking that putting him back on the the 3rd might hurt his confidence, but I do think that Loui should be on #2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsow. Show bruinsow's posts

Loui is looking more and more comfortable out there. I think he should be moved up because of how he is playing not just because of smith has struggled.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Sitting him won't build confidence. It could shatter it. When they sat Lucic last year that was different. Lucic wasn't playing his game at all. Smith is still working his tail off & trying & he's not causing goals, or miscues that results in scoring chances against them. He's just not producing. But a demotion to the 3rd line will still help his confidence. The fact that Bergeron seems to trying to score a lot more since the break could also be an impact. Maybe Bergeron has changed his positioning a bit on Smith & that has affected his timing? Regardless, I don't think sitting Smith at this juncture is the answer. 

Ohforchristsakes.

He's a grown man, not a little boy.

Dude, you've been sucking the bag for two months.  Take a rest and see if you can find your ability.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Ohforchristsakes.

He's a grown man, not a little boy.

Dude, you've been sucking the bag for two months.  Take a rest and see if you can find your ability.

Tell that to James Reimer. He's still a human being & everyone allows things to affect them differently. He hasn't played bad enough to warrant a scratch. I'd rather they rested Bergeron for a game or two than scratch Smith. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The playoffs will dictate what should be done. The men will take over, be they young or older.

Whichever way it develops, I'm sure it will work out well. Talent playing with talent begets more talent. Naturally.

Smith, Eriksson and Soderberg will play well and do well in the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I said back when everyone was billing Reilly Smith as God's gift to great players that you can't get to caught up with his early production. Now some want him off his line. I think he's a good player in a bad slump, but there is a point where he has to produce. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Continuity with keeping the lines the same seems to be a big thing with Julien.

Changing up the lines is a thing done for teams that are struggling to win games. So with that type of thinking I ask, with the Bruins playing well .............why should the Bruins do this ? 

What's more important......keep a good thing going with the same players together ? Or tinker just for the sake of................seeing the "what if " of doing it ?

I also like having the thought of having the Swedes together giving the Bruins a really good 3rd line going into the playoffs. Splitting them up would most likely weaken that line.

Remember last year's 3rd line in the playoffs ? 

Status quo because of success and continuity .......... with the condition of unless things start to go south.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think Loui's play level gets markedly better with better players. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'm a fan of the more balanced lines (the way they are now). Playoff games are more likely to be 3-2 than 5-2, with minimal PP time, and the difference just might be that the Bruins carry a significant advantage with their 3rd and 4th lines as they are. They are by far the best 5-on-5 team in the league. Why try for more? Just play your game and it'll work out.

That said, now is the time to try it for 3 games or so. If it clicks, great. If not plenty of time to return to the current lines. But honestly....maybe Smith would produce a bit more if someone actually passed him the puck once in a while. Dude is ALWAYS open.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Our 3rd line is really clicking so im not sure about putting loui up there.  Last year in the finals our depth up front was exposed.  I can live with Smith on with bergie and marchand bc you know exactly what you are getting from them.  Smith is also responsible in his own end.  Some wanted to dump iggy to the 3-4th lines as well.  For me.  Its not broke.  I finally like our 3rd line.  If they wanna do something take dumb dumb off the 4th line and put Caron in.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Our 3rd line is really clicking so im not sure about putting loui up there.  Last year in the finals our depth up front was exposed.  I can live with Smith on with bergie and marchand bc you know exactly what you are getting from them.  Smith is also responsible in his own end.  Some wanted to dump iggy to the 3-4th lines as well.  For me.  Its not broke.  I finally like our 3rd line.  If they wanna do something take dumb dumb off the 4th line and put Caron in.   

The same dumb dumb who got the gw in the Coyotes game for someone who's done absolutely nothing in the past 2 seasons? Wow...brilliant!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Smith was the extra in the trade, not the main piece... perhaps we are seeing why? Or he just hit a rough patch and will turn it on again? I'm super psyched for these playoffs to start!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Bruins fans know better than most the value of a really good, effective - and scoring - Third Line. Most teams, loaded up on front-end forward talent - and fixated on your first two lines - have no answer for it.

It is a great annuity. When your 'big guns' are potentially shut down, or taking a rare night off (not so much the case for the Bruins this year), the Third Line can win you the game.

Bergeron and Marchand are certainly not suffering with Smith. Eriksson/Soderberg/Kelly are thriving. The Bruins are only winning - all the time. If only because saying 'status quo' is so boring, I'd say, if Smith's funk continues (like they did late in last season, sitting Lucic for a game) sit Smith for a game and bring up Spooner for Bergeron/Marchand. Perhaps it would get Smith's motor running.

Or if that's deemed too radical, at least, let Marchand take Smith's place on the PP for a game or two

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This has gone a bit sideways. If the point is that Eriksson with Marchand and Bergeron could be awesome, then I can see an argument for giving it a shot again now that Eriksson is acclimated and healthy.  But to start the "oh, I knew Smith wasn't really that good" parade is a little (a lot) premature.

Kid is still scoring at a better points/game rate for the season than Soderberg and Marchand.  7 points in his last 20 games - Marchand took 19 games at the start of the year to get to 7 points.  Bergeron had a stretch of 20 games in October-November where he had 9 points.  Better drop them to the third line.

If this was a move made out of doubt that Smith can play the second line RW, I'd say it's daft.  If this is a move to get the most out of a very smart and talented player with great hands in close?  Sure, try it while the Bruins are in the limbo of having clinched everything that matters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

I felt the same way over 2 weeks ago. But I wasn't brave enough to stick my neck out there and say put him back for 2 reasons. 1. What the 3 rd line has givin this team over the last couple of weeks And it's one of my bIggest keys to winning the playoffs ( secondary scoring) 3rd  line give u that with Ericsson on it and (2. )People looking at overall numbers of smith and not looking at last 20 games. I think he has hit a wall. Love the player but all u have to do is watch the Montreal game (4-1 win at Montreal) to see what I'm talking about. completely out of sync.

Sections
Shortcuts