Put The Lines Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Re: Put The Lines Back

Everyone is thinking it even CJ. Before the season is over is a good time to try it out. It will not effect or upset what we know we have today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's not good to demote someone when they are not getting results.  You can damage confidence.  And saying he's a grown man or a pro is garbage.  Everyone is the same, regardless of level.  A coach needs to build confidence.  I also don't think Smith is playing poorly, he's just not getting a lot of breaks.  Also, Marchand doesn't seem to like passing to him...  But I still think he's a better fit with those two than Eriksson.  He brings great speed.

Eriksson has also been great on the thrid line, and that trio is great at using their size and grinding.  I wouldn't change a thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Our 3rd line is really clicking so im not sure about putting loui up there.  Last year in the finals our depth up front was exposed.  I can live with Smith on with bergie and marchand bc you know exactly what you are getting from them.  Smith is also responsible in his own end.  Some wanted to dump iggy to the 3-4th lines as well.  For me.  Its not broke.  I finally like our 3rd line.  If they wanna do something take dumb dumb off the 4th line and put Caron in.   

The same dumb dumb who got the gw in the Coyotes game for someone who's done absolutely nothing in the past 2 seasons? Wow...brilliant!

Well we better put that guy on the top line since he has 2 cups and a gwg on his resume.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

reilly smith is a professional hockey player not a child. sit him for a game, but present it like this... "you're not being sat out because you're not doing well. we feel it would greatly benefit you to see the game from a different perspective tonight. this is just for one game. we do this to everyone once in a while, ask looch, marchand, krug... anybody.  enjoy the rest and be ready to go on saturday".  basically talk to him like he's a child, if that's where he is mentally. as you can see, i'd sit him 1 game, do not mess with the 3rd line. i know, i know "clode said we've got to keep his confidence up"... but what's he supposed to say to the media? "this kid has to grow up and not have such thin skin"? i'm not a hockey coach or psychologist, but i do know adult men should not need to be coddled. if they do, i don't want them on my team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Although damaging confidence is real. In this case it is not an issue. After seeing Smith in a number of interviews he is a down to earth guy willing to play whatever roll he is given. Moving from 2nd to 3rd line would not affect his confidence in any way. He is a mature young player with a two way contract. I’m sure confidence is not an issue here. We have the Dallas Legend on the 3rd line. Let’s give him a look where he was meant to be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I wouldn't change a thing.  Having three lines that can put the puck in the net is awesome.  Even though the second line would probably improve with Eriksson, the third line would suffer.  I don't see how that would improve the Bruins chances in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It is not a major compliant as Kelly is excellent face off player, but his play on wing is just ok.  I don't know how many times he has missed the net after a great pass from the Swede(s).  I would not change the lines unless to give time for Smith to watch the game up above.  Caron will need more ice time before the playoffs.  His play will be even worse in the playoffs if he does not get some TOI now.  

In response to OatesCam's comment:

It's not good to demote someone when they are not getting results.  You can damage confidence.  And saying he's a grown man or a pro is garbage.  Everyone is the same, regardless of level.  A coach needs to build confidence.  I also don't think Smith is playing poorly, he's just not getting a lot of breaks.  Also, Marchand doesn't seem to like passing to him...  But I still think he's a better fit with those two than Eriksson.  He brings great speed.

Eriksson has also been great on the thrid line, and that trio is great at using their size and grinding.  I wouldn't change a thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

I noticed this too. 

Another reason not to make the change is that Kelly is slumping too.  Putting 2 slumping players together could douse the fire that is the third line right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

If Smith is playing poorly, sure, change things up.  Sit him out if need be.

Nobody's saying that here though, and neither are the Bruins.

They haven't lost in regulation for weeks.  The 3 top lines are all scoring at or above expectation.  So is the 4th.  Obviously theres some chemistry across the board.  Who cares "who" scores on the second line.

Unless the goal is to kill momentum, why in the world would anyone break up 2 of the teams top 3 lines, right now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"Unless the goal is to kill momentum, why in the world would anyone break up 2 of the teams top 3 lines, right now. " - 'stevegm'

Pre-cisely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

1. I would swap Eriksson and Smith for a couple of games just to see how it goes. It doesn't have to be permanent.

2. A little versatility goes a long way on a players resume - especially heading into the playoffs. They should be exposed to the fact that they might need to change lines in case of injury...4 established lines can/are clicking but we have seen in the past where an injury has necessitated a moving up the ladder of sorts and it takes time for the players to get to know their new linemates if they have never had the chance. Juggling two lines for a few practices and games shouldn't hurt our current position. Besides, it is not like they don't know the overall team system.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

1. I would swap Eriksson and Smith for a couple of games just to see how it goes. It doesn't have to be permanent.

2. A little versatility goes a long way on a players resume - especially heading into the playoffs. They should be exposed to the fact that they might need to change lines in case of injury...4 established lines can/are clicking but we have seen in the past where an injury has necessitated a moving up the ladder of sorts and it takes time for the players to get to know their new linemates if they have never had the chance. Juggling two lines for a few practices and games shouldn't hurt our current position. Besides, it is not like they don't know the overall team system.

You're assuming that after being "exposed" for a few games, these guys can go back to the current line combinations(if needed) and everything works as good as it does now.

Doesn't work that way though. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Now is the time to see if it works. I do like the way Eriksson plays with Soderberg though. As long as LouI doesn't get taken off the 2nd unit PP (should be the 1st Unit ?!) i'm fine with what Julien does in this situation.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know that Eriksson has been all that impressive on the PP.  Seems to lack some creativity.  That unit has not been the same since Spooner went away.  haven't see the backdoor Soderberg-to-Smith play in a long time

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

The play of the 3rd line tonight makes the headline of this thread tough to agree with but I would still like Julian to give it a chance for 5 games or more just to see if Ericsson could make the 2nd line even better if possible

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here is my thinking:

There is nothing doing for Smith right now.  In order to win the Cup, they can't have an empty slot on the second line wing.  Yes, the third line is playing well.  I bet if you put a 30 goal scorer on the fourth line, that line would have points piling up.

Switching Eriksson and Smith for a few games won't destroy either line.  Moving Smith into Eriksson's third line spot isn't a confidence killer, unless the kid's ego is twice the size of mine.

I bet he'd rather be scoring goals on the third line than posting eggs on the second.  If it doesn't work, whatever, put them back.

"But NAS, they're winning!"

Yes they are.  I want that to continue through the playoffs.  There is a better chance for a Cup victory with no empty scoresheets...right Tyler?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

This whole thread is just plain dumb

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

It’s about prepping for the playoffs. We could not ask to be in a better place and playing the way we are. We had some practice that we hadn’t for awhile and last night we were given a glimpse of one of our best executed games of the year and how we run in the playoffs. With 9 games left priorities is to keep play consistent, Stay healthy, Rest a few key players before season is over. This opportunity will allow a look at a new line like Bergeron,  Marchand and Loui. If we think we can be better for the playoffs than we should be. If our best lineup was last night and that’s the lineup we go with then we should now it by the time the race begins. We do those things and only good will come from it. The President trophy is not a must have. Being ready for the playoffs with the knowledge of our best hand is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I was fine with leaving the lines the way they are until 2-3 games ago. The longer Smith goes unproductive the more I think swapping him with Loui makes sense. It should happen ASAP, too. There are just enough games left in the regular season to experiment.

Now, do I think CJ will do this? Not likely. His history tells me he will keep things as they are and expect Smith to start scoring again. And he may be right. But he's not about to give up on his Most Patient Coach Award streak now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

It certainly is now

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

First hockey-world problems: some teams have black holes on their second line, and no third line to speak of. We're in a great place to be able to debate minor tweaks that could make the team even better. 

I agree that it's unlikely they demote Smith, and more likely they "rest" him for a game to get Caron or a callup some ice time heading into the playoffs.

I thought Smith had a pretty good game last night, didn't look as "off" or lacking confidence as he had in prior games -- and that was pretty good competition on the other side of the ice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

These guys practice a lot more than they play.

When things are going really well, of course you still look for improvement, and that's where most of the tweaking should take place.

I have several problems with changing up that second line.

In no particular order.

1. it totally changes the dynamic of not just 1, but the B's top 2 lines.

2. it comes when both are currently having huge success.

3. chemistry is lightning in a bottle.  no one has it figured out, they just know success when they see it.  it's a good bet, these line combo's would lose "something", through the process of being split up and later reunited.

4.  it's reasonable to assume this team ain't got a lot more goals in them anyway.  they're near the top of the league, and have no real scoring machines.

5. this is supposedly driven by Smith.  just because he isn't scoring goals, doesn't mean he's not contributing.  at this level, no line can be decent, let a lone great, if any 1 forward isn't contributing.  Bergeron and Marchand aren't nearly good enough to do it on their own.  This "exact" line is actually better than when Smith "was" scoring.

6.  Ericsson is playing really well where he is.  this first line, second line crap means nothing to the players.  it's not "moving up' to the second line, or a promotion for Louie, it's just different.  players just want to be in a situation where they're successful.

7.  there is really nothing to be learned from this excercise, if it's only being done for the sake of "lets see what happens".  a change could see both lines score a dozen over the next 2 games, then implode for the next 6. the first round of playoffs isn't a time to try and refind your touch, or your staff.   

8. these guys have been on the ice every day for 6 months.  the coaches probably have all kinds of alternative plans if need be.  now is the time to work on maintaining team strength, rather than chasing a rainbow.

9.  the search for greater success in certain areas, can sometimes be ultimately stupid(the importance of more goals).  sometimes it's about just attempting to 'maintain" a certain level, and tighten up execution.  Putting a great deal of emphasis on learning "why" things are going the way they are, as opposed to change "just because it may work" could be a better option.   

10.  during this current window, the Bruins haven't been any more successful in like.....forever.  all 4 lines are purring.

11.  as good as this team has been playing, they make lots of mistakes every game.  some more often than others.  being a better, tougher team to beat is more about concentrating on those issues going into the playoffs.

12. if the Bruins feel Smith and Ericsson are dragging their current line mates down.....I take everything back. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Here is my thinking:

There is nothing doing for Smith right now.  In order to win the Cup, they can't have an empty slot on the second line wing.  Yes, the third line is playing well.  I bet if you put a 30 goal scorer on the fourth line, that line would have points piling up.

Switching Eriksson and Smith for a few games won't destroy either line.  Moving Smith into Eriksson's third line spot isn't a confidence killer, unless the kid's ego is twice the size of mine.

I bet he'd rather be scoring goals on the third line than posting eggs on the second.  If it doesn't work, whatever, put them back.

"But NAS, they're winning!"

Yes they are.  I want that to continue through the playoffs.  There is a better chance for a Cup victory with no empty scoresheets...right Tyler?

The problem is that if you demote him for not scoring, any time in the near future that he was not getting results he would be concerned that he was going to have his role reduced, and small slumps would become big slumps mentally.  The issue is not that he needs to have a big ego to be bothered by demotion but it's if he doesn't.  You can put Marchand on the 4th line and he will still think he's the team's best player.  I'm not as sure about Smith - especially at this stage of his career.  If you demote him now, you could shake his confidence for the rest of the season and playoffs.

I would feel different if Smith's woes were a result of a lack of effort.  But I see full commitment from him, and Bergeron is lighting it up regardless of lack of production from his right wing.  He won't keep putting up goose eggs forever.  If you let him grind through it, he may get hot at just the right time and start piling points up in the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Agree with your second paragraph oates, but have a different take on the first.

Can't let the perception of someones frailty stand in the way of the team.  If Smith would get 'damaged" as a result of a line change, the team psyche needs to step in, as opposed to the coach stepping out.

Also think the concept of promotion/demotion is bigger to us, than the players.

To take things a step further....., in the pros, one shouldn't be demoted(for lack of a better term) for not scoring.  That's way to broad and generic.  Coaching is expected to be much better than that.  Players should get demoted for failing to do specific things that they "can control", namely something that is dragging down the potential of their teamates. 

If that isn't the case, it's probably a better idea to look for improvement in other area's. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Let's not have change for change's sake. Yes Eriksson is playing better, and showing the skills he has been known for, and helping to make the 3rd line a solid unit. Last nite, chicago spent all nite checking Kreji's line, and Bergie scored two, then Soderberg scores. Why change anything unless there is a better player than Smith available with the same speed and agressiveness, and agressiveness is not one of Eriksson's skills,which helps Bergeron and marchand. the only weak linc that better teams exploit is Thornton, but both claude and Campbell/Paille want him on the ice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

It would be a demotion if they made him a regular scratch or sent him down. Havine a 2way contract in all, its an option. That is not the point though. Smith is a good top 9 winger for sure. Top 6? time will tell. Does he fit on our second or third? With Loui on the team, that what makes this a question. And that is why it is being considered.

Its not about effort Chris Bourque had tons of effort but that didn't keep him on the team. Before the season is over players will have a game or two off. not just the defense and then you will different combinations. This time of the year with the situation we are in, Its time to continue to learn what options best fit us for the playoffs. CJ is finding that out right now with the defense.

Sections
Shortcuts