Put your PC pitchforks down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Put your PC pitchforks down

In response to DaveyN's comment:

"I'd love to get my first crack at one Cup," said Iginla. "Pittsburgh has the two best players in the world. It's really hard as a player to pass up the opportunity to play on a team with Sid and Malkin."

Sounds to me like it was his choice...

zactly

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

why is it so hard to grasp for some?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

why is it so hard to grasp for some?

Too simple is my guess Davey. I agree with you. Simple concept. NMC means the player can choose his destination or simply not move at all. I don't know what's so confusing for some. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Im upset about it too.  But there is still time for good trades to be made.

Iginla wanted a big chance to win the cup.  He got it.  End of story.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff March 28, 2013 02:37 PM   

By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

"According to general manager Peter Chiarelli, the Bruins were informed at approximately noon on Wednesday that they had acquired Jarome Iginla from Calgary. The Bruins’ offer was Matt Bartkowski, Alexander Khokhlachev, and a first-round pick.

But before midnight, the Flames told the Bruins that Iginla was going to Pittsburgh. The Penguins traded a first-round pick and prospects Ken Agostino and Ben Hanowski.

Sometime in between, when Chiarelli’s calls to Calgary met radio silence, the trade went off the rails.

“We relied on the fact that we had a deal,” said Chiarelli of scratching Bartkowski and Khokhlachev and promoting Torey Krug. “Now, these things happen all the time, more than you know, about deals going south for whatever reason. We believed we had a deal. We operated on the premise that we had a deal. When things were silent, in my experience, when things go silent, things are usually going screwy from your end. And it was.”

After telling Chiarelli the initial news, Calgary GM Jay Feaster said he wanted to give Iginla some time to consider the trade. Chiarelli agreed.

“I assume it’s because of the magnitude of the player Jarome was for the organization, they wanted to give him some space on this,” Chiarelli said.

When Feaster told Chiarelli the news that Iginla was going to Pittsburgh, the Calgary GM acknowledged something had happened to scotch the Boston deal. Chiarelli declined to share the nature of the event. Chiarelli said in trades of this significance, there are many moving parts, such as speaking with ownership.

Ultimately, Chiarelli believes Pittsburgh’s 13-game winning streak, combined with the Bruins’ recent peaks and valleys, played a part in Iginla’s decision. During his press conference in Calgary today, Iginla acknowledged that getting an opportunity to play with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were significant factors in his decision.

* Talk between the two clubs began several weeks ago, Chiarelli said. The Bruins were on a short list of teams Iginla would consider. Iginla had a no-movement clause.

* Chiarelli hasn’t spoken with Bartkowski or Khokhlachev. He plans to speak with Bartkowski tomorrow.

* Chiarelli said he asked the Flames for permission to speak with Iginla to make his pitch. Calgary didn’t give Chiarelli that permission. Chiarelli also said there was never an opportunity to speak with Iginla about a contract extension.

* The Bruins must now look at secondary moves to acquire a forward and a defenseman."

PCs explanation

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

and PC said it as well in the presser, he said they believed they had a deal.

and it wasn't PC's fault that it went public, none of those tweets were coming from the Bruins, but the likes of Aaron Ward

[this was posted at the same time as sandog's]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I'm in the camp that doesn't think the offers were that similar.  Boston's was better.  Koko is the best prospect involved.  Iggy, as much as I like him, represents two very negative things here:

-Selfish in that he didn't help his former team get the best value for him.

-The NBA dynasty mentality.  Plotting among top players to all play together on a dynasty together so they can get their precious rings.  That's an all star team in Pittsburgh that couldn't be resigned for single season.

The good news is that the NHL isn't like the pathetic NBA where 3 stars and a few role players can roll to a championship.  Hoarding a bunch of stars rarely works in the NHL.  Let's all hope to God it doesn't work this time.  

I came away from last night with a renewed passion to see two teams fail -- Montreal and Pittsburgh.

He gave 15 or 16 years to that city.  He owes them nothing. 

As for the NBA mentality, why wouldn't he want to play with better players?  Look at Kunitz this year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

He gave 15 or 16 years to that city.  He owes them nothing. 

As for the NBA mentality, why wouldn't he want to play with better players?  Look at Kunitz this year. 

It's not so much that Iggy owes them something, it's that the GM would allow him to call the shots, to the detriment of the team.  I understand how the NMC works, but a more tactful GM would not necessarily share each offer on the table with the player, and instead would pick the best deal for the team and say to Iggy "would you accept a deal to Boston -- nobody is matching their offer?  Good, done."  

If Iginla said I refuse to go anywhere except the Pens, that's a different thing, and it's selfish in my book.  But if he said that he approved going to three different teams (as reported), then why on earth would Feaster give him the choice?  Feaster should have picked the best offer for the Flames from those three teams and said 'here you go'.  I noticed that Bourque said he gave the Bruins a short list too and while he favored Philly, Colorado made the best offer to the B's.  Done.  Not his decision at that point.

As far as NBA mentality, I don't think you're understanding my post, or I'm not describing it well.  I'm only expressing my dislike of the NBA phenomenon where the best players all collude to play with eachother and form all star teams.  Not the least bit surprised that this was Iginla's preference, just dissappointed to see the best players try to align for three months to win a Cup in a different city.  I like it when teams develop together for a little longer than that and I love that the Stanley Cup is so hard to win, that all-star collections rarely do it unless they've developed a team concept and chemistry.  I hope the Pens fail, in part because it lends credibility to the concept that a better team can defeat better star power.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

by the time I make this post - 5 years from now - it will not have the relevance it does now.

Most likely the 2 college guys and the 1st round pick the Flames get won't be worth much of anything.

Koko will be an NHL regular

Bartkowski will have a career like Hunwick.

Iginla will end up being a non-factor for the Pens no matter how it works out, good or bad, what he's going to provide really won't matter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Funny fact:

Those two prospects the Pens are sending CGY are not even under contract....lol!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

hopeless apologist

How could Calgary turn down Bartkowski, Koko and a "conditional" pick

PC wanted him, and didn't go for it- The Pitt offer suks and it was better

For the 10th time on this forum and Chiarelli confirmed it, it was not conditional, his exact words were " firm"  the Bruins 1st round pick was firm.

What gets me is when PC got the news he had won the sweepstakes , trade was a done deal around noon in accordance with Feaster. This is where it gets sketchy. Feaster now wants to give a bit of time to Iginla . What does Iginla do ?  I bet he calls Sidney with the details, Sidney calls Shero , now knowing what was on the table , he offers a bit less knowing that no matter what Iginla wants to become a Pen and they leap frog Chiarelli.  Pretty dirty stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Funny fact:

Those two prospects the Pens are sending CGY are not even under contract....lol!

Hence having all the leverage since Shero knew Iginla wanted to go there. Gave Calgary two bags of pucks .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Hence having all the leverage since Shero knew Iginla wanted to go there. Gave Calgary two bags of pucks .

Yep....I think your scenario of events is probably the most accurate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Bartkowski will have a career like Hunwick.

276 NHL games played, I would be happy for Bartkowski if he does this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

One thing I don't get from this is why did he ever put Boston on its list if he only planned to go to Pittsburg?

Was it - If Pittsburg doesn't want me, I'll go to Boston or LA?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to JWensink's comment:

hopeless apologist

How could Calgary turn down Bartkowski, Koko and a "conditional" pick

PC wanted him, and didn't go for it- The Pitt offer suks and it was better

For the 10th time on this forum and Chiarelli confirmed it, it was not conditional, his exact words were " firm"  the Bruins 1st round pick was firm.

What gets me is when PC got the news he had won the sweepstakes , trade was a done deal around noon in accordance with Feaster. This is where it gets sketchy. Feaster now wants to give a bit of time to Iginla . What does Iginla do ?  I bet he calls Sidney with the details, Sidney calls Shero , now knowing what was on the table , he offers a bit less knowing that no matter what Iginla wants to become a Pen and they leap frog Chiarelli.  Pretty dirty stuff.

Whatever for the zillionth time - PC Wanted Iginla and went in with Bartkowski and Koko and a 1st- It wasn't enough to get it done and he got zilch. I'd say that offer suks bigtime. Maybe you gotta go stronger than that if you're committed in your beliefs, and the very real possibility of the egg that you put in your basket may consider the dreaded Pens. If you wanted the guy so bad, which he did -then go get him and don't f*** around cause you might get burned.There ain't enough spin in the world to disclaim the fact that Pitt was able to swing 3 moves already, and we got sucked into signing Bartkowski, sitting out two guys for a deal, and having the likes of Jay freaking Pandolfo and Jordan Caron on the 3rd line while all this was going down. You gotta go big or go home sometimes - Right now PC is goin home. He should have taken the Pitt option off the table with the strength of his offer -  he rolled the dice instead, and crapped out.  Not good, no matter how you slice it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

After reading the interviews and hearing the sound bites, I'm now convinced Iggy did have all the cards and decided at the last minute Boston wasn't a winner.

Feaster got played too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Feaster also acknowledged what PC said, that they agreed to the deal.  Fell apart after going back to Iginla.

Hard to bang on PC for that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Feaster also acknowledged what PC said, that they agreed to the deal.  Fell apart after going back to Iginla.

That's what common sense should dictate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

That's what common senes should dictate.

Yeah, it seems like common sense is no match for bitterness here...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Feaster should have done one of two things:

1. Don't tell PC that's it's a "done deal" at noon, but rather that he accepts on principle and that he will finalize player approval and get back when it is actually signed, sealed and delivered. Not "it's done" when it isn't done.

or

2. Tell Iginla to narrow it down (which he did) and that as GM he will now go out and get the best deal for the Flames that he can as a GM and as long as it's one of the approved teams, the deal will be done on the GM's terms. Deal gets done with Boston. Iginla gets notified.

Now, he obviously didn't want to do #2 out of respect for Iginla. But why he told PC it was done when it wasn't is busch league if you ask me. i don't blame Iginla. Feaster is the one who acted out of line here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe PC didn't offer enough.  Bartkowski is a bum.  Maybe a 2nd round pick also included would have been a difference maker.

If the B's offer was much better than the Pens in Feaster's eyes, Feaster (probably) wouldn't have given Iginla a "pick one" option.  It would have been "Hey Iginla, waive it for Boston."  And then Iginla comes here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

delete

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Maybe PC didn't offer enough.  Bartkowski is a bum.  Maybe a 2nd round pick also included would have been a difference maker.

If the B's offer was much better than the Pens in Feaster's eyes, Feaster (probably) wouldn't have given Iginla a "pick one" option.  It would have been "Hey Iginla, waive it for Boston."  And then Iginla comes here.

It wouldn't matter if PC offered Chara and Bergeron for him. The final decision was Iginla's. It's no different than Sundin refusing to leave Toronto.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Darren Dreger: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that he was told at noon yesterday that they had a deal for Jarome Iginla. It is now clear that Iginla must have directed the Flames towards the Penguins. Boston Bruins: Chiarelli: ”we brought up Torey, scratched Koko and Bart – relied on the fact that we had the deal”

When you tell someone you have a deal, it is a deal.