question about goalie interference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

question about goalie interference

Question about the call for goalie interference today against Thorton. I understand the call but what I question is why, when there is no obvious attempt at interfering, is it not considered part of the game? Is it because the refs are calling what they think they saw or is it because it is just that fast? Or is it just one of the blanket rules, meaning no exception?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: question about goalie interference

In Response to question about goalie interference:
    Question about the call for goalie interference today against Thorton. I understand the call but what I question is why, when there is no obvious attempt at interfering, is it not considered part of the game? Is it because the refs are calling what they think they saw or is it because it is just that fast? Or is it just one of the blanket rules, meaning no exception?
    Posted by vcec

Thornton hit him in the blue paint. I thought it was an easy call for the ref.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

let me be a little clearer because that I understand. Sometimes it just can't be helped because maybe a player is flanked or someone gets pushed or tripped. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The rule states a player must make every effort to avoid contact. Thornton went straight through him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: question about goalie interference:
    The rule states a player must make every effort to avoid contact. Thornton went straight through him.
    Posted by dezaruchi

From how I saw it, Thorton was just making a play at the net and the defenseman forced him to retain a path toward the goalie...how can player with possession of the puck interfere with the goalie in the first place?

That was a bad call, as many of the goalie interference calls have been in the last couple of months.

Another bad call was Chara's tripping call...once again he has his stick on the ice diving to stop the player from having a direct path toward Thomas and the player runs over his stick and goes down...that is NOT tripping.

The penalty on Seguin was bad too and cost them a goal.

I know it sounds like sour grapes but sometimes the refs get it wrong. The B's get some of those calls in their favor too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Lucic on Miller seems to be the reasons that Refs have gone all soft for goalies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thought I saw Thornton get pushed into Mr. Universe, but I could be wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Any borderline call is going to go against Thornton because of who he is. That is the way of things and Shawn, well past the end of his shift, should have known that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: question about goalie interference : From how I saw it, Thorton was just making a play at the net and the defenseman forced him to retain a path toward the goalie...how can player with possession of the puck interfere with the goalie in the first place? That was a bad call, as many of the goalie interference calls have been in the last couple of months. Another bad call was Chara's tripping call...once again he has his stick on the ice diving to stop the player from having a direct path toward Thomas and the player runs over his stick and goes down...that is NOT tripping. The penalty on Seguin was bad too and cost them a goal. I know it sounds like sour grapes but sometimes the refs get it wrong. The B's get some of those calls in their favor too.
    Posted by Soxdog67

The Seguin penalty was a bad call. The other 2 were penalties.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: question about goalie interference : The Seguin penalty was a bad call. The other 2 were penalties.
    Posted by dezaruchi

well dez, please explain how someone with possession of the puck can interfere with the goalie?? Plus check it out again and notice that he got pushed into the crease by the defensemen and momentum forced him into the goalie.

I can't argue the Chara penalty as much, since that one was borderline.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: question about goalie interference : well dez, please explain how someone with possession of the puck can interfere with the goalie?? Plus check it out again and notice that he got pushed into the crease by the defensemen and momentum forced him into the goalie. I can't argue the Chara penalty as much, since that one was borderline.
    Posted by Soxdog67

A puck carrier can't just barrel over a goalie in the crease. Having possession of the puck doesn't give you free reign over the ice. If that were the case, puck carriers would just barrel through, knock the goalie over, and put the puck in the open cage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

@Dez - the way I saw it, Thornton did an 'end around' to break for the net...tried to slow a bit when he got to the crease and got 'helped' into the goalie by the D-man.

There wasn't much contact and it should have been no call...there was an attempt to hold up by Thornton. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Haven't seen a replay, so I know nothing about the push.  I'll have to see it again to be sure.  I think the deciding factor for referees is whether the player could have avoided the goalie.  Remember the Tootoo suspension?  That was the reasoning given.  Even though he was nudged, his path was taking him strait through the goalie already.

So the question is, do you think Thornton could have avoided Bryzgalov on the path he was taking?  I don't think he skates that well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

DrCC - IIRC, D-man took away the slot position so Thornton couldn't swing to the top of the crease and avoid contact with Bryz...so he tried to stop (last second).

Again, this is from my memory this afternoon. I haven't seen a replay tonight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It's kind of shocking, really.  I guess the "Bruins are dirty cheaters" crowd either haven't seen it or are asleep at the recorders today.  No video that I can find.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

doc, it was a reputation call pure and simple. Thing is, though, Shawn should have went off the ice on a line change at that point, not go for the Lemieux-like rush.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Thought I saw Thornton get pushed into Mr. Universe, but I could be wrong.
    Posted by BadHabitude

You are correct -- I watched it over and over -- He was clearly pushed into the goalie. If that's one of the premier players in the league -- there would have been a penalty on the defensive player. Horrid call.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: question about goalie interference : You are correct -- I watched it over and over -- He was clearly pushed into the goalie. If that's one of the premier players in the league -- there would have been a penalty on the defensive player. Horrid call.
    Posted by zamboni24

He was foolish if he thought the angle he was trying to take would put him somewhere else. I could tell he was going to barrel over the goalie practically when he stepped over the blue line.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Regarding goalie interference. We seen a game a while ago where there were 4 goalie interferences in one game . In the Ott-Mon game the other night there were 3 in one period.

It's obvious regardless whether the player gets pushed into the goalie by the opposing D penalties are being called. Not all the time but more then the past. All because of the Lucic-Miller incident things have tightened up for the refs with this type of play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As much as I think the Lucic-Miller collision changed the way the Office of Player Safety addresses supplementary discipline - they got dumber because a number of GMs lobbied for dumber - I think the emphasis on protecting the goalies had a bigger base than just that one incident.  That was a highly unusual spot on the ice for the collision.  But you did see, and do see all the time, guys practically flying off the top rope to land on goalies, guys running right through goalies, using the "I was pushed!" excuse to make violent contact with a goalie in the blue paint.  I always thought that was the problem with the crying over the Miller hit - if you're not going to go after those guys, then you have no leg to stand on saying Lucic should be suspended.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Re: question about goalie interference : He was foolish if he thought the angle he was trying to take would put him somewhere else. I could tell he was going to barrel over the goalie practically when he stepped over the blue line.
    Posted by dezaruchi

True --I could see it coming as well but the defensive player has to let the hit establish based on the attacking players poor judgement. This is exactly why the ref behind the net should never make that call. The call was already made and the ref that had the better view had to be thinking -- you blew the call partner -- all you saw was the goalie being bowled over.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the nhl now has a "protect the QB rule" like the nfl.

Sections
Shortcuts