Question about these College signings..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Question about these College signings..

So are these guys just here for the remainder of the season? Or are they with the Bruins orginization now?

They don't need to be drafted, they can just be signed in March?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Question about these College signings..

In Response to Question about these College signings..:
    So are these guys just here for the remainder of the season? Or are they with the Bruins orginization now? They don't need to be drafted, they can just be signed in March?
    Posted by Bisson1

If they were previously undrafted they're fair game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and because they signed after the trade deadline they cannot play in the playoffs.
    Seems like Krug will stick with the big club but not certain how and when they\ll play him.  Unless 2nd place is assured.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There are a lot of NCAA players who become players in their 20s, not their teens.  Players can be drafted in the entry draft until they're 20, and then they become entry level UFAs.  Some of them prove to be true late bloomers.  Others...not so much.  Last year, Andy Miele won the Hobey Baker - undrafted player.  Three years ago, it was Matt Gilroy who won the Hobey as an undrafted player.  He parleyed that into a $3.5M one-way commitment from the Rangers, and he's now on his third team.  Ryan Duncan won it in his junior season, then cacked out and hasn't been picked up.  Marty Sertich won the Hobey for Colorado College - teammate of Mark Stuart and the Leafs' Joey Crabb.  Never got picked up.  Played with Brett Stirling, who is still a decent AHL player.

Most of these guys?  I could carry them around in my pocket.  Stirling is 5'7" and 175, Sertich 5'8" and 165, Duncan 5'7" 170, Miele 5'8" 175.  Gilroy's a respectable 6'1" and 205 - and lo! he has an NHL job.  That more than talent is the reason many of them don't get drafted - and it's usually only the ones who look like the can excel despite their size who sign and EL UFAs. 

Incidentally - Zach Hamill, 8th overall pick in 2008 - EL NHL cap hit of $1.316M.  Dougie Hamilton, 9th overall in 2011 - EL NHL cap hit of $1.525M.  Torey Krug, EL UFA in 2012 - $1.695M. 

Amazing what an open market does to salaries.  Krug is likely to play a handful of NHL games at best.  Hamilton will likely get 3 seasons of lee-way where he could stink like ... like... like a Stanley prediction and still sign a one-way NHL deal.  Yet if they start as the third pairing next year, Krug will make more coin.

Of course, I am more likely to be the starting RW on the top line than that those two are to be a third pairing in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey thanks for that Bookboy...Good post...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

In Response to Re: Question about these College signings..:
    There are a lot of NCAA players who become players in their 20s, not their teens.  Players can be drafted in the entry draft until they're 20, and then they become entry level UFAs.  Some of them prove to be true late bloomers.  Others...not so much.  Last year, Andy Miele won the Hobey Baker - undrafted player.  Three years ago, it was Matt Gilroy who won the Hobey as an undrafted player.  He parleyed that into a $3.5M one-way commitment from the Rangers, and he's now on his third team.  Ryan Duncan won it in his junior season, then cacked out and hasn't been picked up.  Marty Sertich won the Hobey for Colorado College - teammate of Mark Stuart and the Leafs' Joey Crabb.  Never got picked up.  Played with Brett Stirling, who is still a decent AHL player. Most of these guys?  I could carry them around in my pocket.  Stirling is 5'7" and 175, Sertich 5'8" and 165, Duncan 5'7" 170, Miele 5'8" 175.  Gilroy's a respectable 6'1" and 205 - and lo! he has an NHL job.  That more than talent is the reason many of them don't get drafted - and it's usually only the ones who look like the can excel despite their size who sign and EL UFAs.  Incidentally - Zach Hamill, 8th overall pick in 2008 - EL NHL cap hit of $1.316M.  Dougie Hamilton, 9th overall in 2011 - EL NHL cap hit of $1.525M.  Torey Krug, EL UFA in 2012 - $1.695M.  Amazing what an open market does to salaries.  Krug is likely to play a handful of NHL games at best.  Hamilton will likely get 3 seasons of lee-way where he could stink like ... like... like a Stanley prediction and still sign a one-way NHL deal.  Yet if they start as the third pairing next year, Krug will make more coin. Of course, I am more likely to be the starting RW on the top line than that those two are to be a third pairing in Boston.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Dougie and Krug make same almost Krug has more in perfermance bonus's  in first year and Dougie's first year is 25K more in the NHL all else is equal.

GOAT!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Replenishment and replacement for failed draft picks n trades. The signings are meant to push for AHL ice time and send pretenders to the ECHL or off to other organizations.

So far Nick Tremblay, Justin Florek and Zach Trotman have had immediate impact helping the P-Bruins to within two points of a playoff spot. Players below did nothing to help Providence or their chances to be consistent a pro.

Hamill = FAIL
    Bartkowski = FAIL
    Warsofsky = FAIL
    Button = FAIL
    Kampfer = FAIL (at least he fetched Zanon)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Nick Tremblay is with Providence? Wow!

This kid was a hotshot Ontario Provincial Jr A player who chose to go to college instead of the OHL.

It seems like he disappeared at Clarkson, or wherever he went. Maybe, he concentrated on his education the past few years, I've heard next to nothing about him on the ice.

Now that he's done with school, hopefully he'll resprout.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There are a lot of NCAA players who become players in their 20s, not their teens.  Players can be drafted in the entry draft until they're 20, and then they become entry level UFAs.  Some of them prove to be true late bloomers.  Others...not so much.  Last year, Andy Miele won the Hobey Baker - undrafted player.  Three years ago, it was Matt Gilroy who won the Hobey as an undrafted player.  He parleyed that into a $3.5M one-way commitment from the Rangers, and he's now on his third team.  Ryan Duncan won it in his junior season, then cacked out and hasn't been picked up.  Marty Sertich won the Hobey for Colorado College - teammate of Mark Stuart and the Leafs' Joey Crabb.  Never got picked up.  Played with Brett Stirling, who is still a decent AHL player. Most of these guys?  I could carry them around in my pocket.  Stirling is 5'7" and 175, Sertich 5'8" and 165, Duncan 5'7" 170, Miele 5'8" 175.  Gilroy's a respectable 6'1" and 205 - and lo! he has an NHL job.  That more than talent is the reason many of them don't get drafted - and it's usually only the ones who look like the can excel despite their size who sign and EL UFAs.  Incidentally - Zach Hamill, 8th overall pick in 2008 - EL NHL cap hit of $1.316M.  Dougie Hamilton, 9th overall in 2011 - EL NHL cap hit of $1.525M.  Torey Krug, EL UFA in 2012 - $1.695M.  Amazing what an open market does to salaries.  Krug is likely to play a handful of NHL games at best.  Hamilton will likely get 3 seasons of lee-way where he could stink like ... like... like a Stanley prediction and still sign a one-way NHL deal.  Yet if they start as the third pairing next year, Krug will make more coin. Of course, I am more likely to be the starting RW on the top line than that those two are to be a third pairing in Boston.
    Posted by Bookboy007

But the college guys are worth looking at - occassionally you'll get your Martin St Lous's, Dan Boyle's, and Rafalski's. It is worth the scouting time because there are some stars hidden out there. Who knows what Camper or Krug can do in the end, but some NCAA UFA's work out and some don't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Like I said near the top of that paragraph - some prove to be true late-bloomers. Or, I guess, they prove they can play against young men in their early 20s.

SanDog, Hamill played seven games in Providence at the end of the 07-08 draft (and yes, I realize I screwed up above - he was drafted in 2007).  He had 5 assists.  Played 9 playoff games and had 4 points.  Not quite as impressive as Florek's debut, but it sure seems that you see a lot of young guys make their debuts in the AHL and score for a few games before they settle into the business of having to learn to play the game.  They get there and they're high on goofballs and there's no expectation that they'll know the system and play responsibly - it's all buzz.  Spooner had 2-1-3 last year in 3 games.  Knight was 0-2-2 in 3 games.  Kampfer had 1-2-3 in 6 games.  Sauve had 2 goals in a six game tryout.  Etc.

I wouldn't put Florek, Tremblay and Trotman on the fast track just yet, and I wouldn't commit the -skis to the fail list yet.  Hamill's there - sulking after being sent down is never the way to greatness - and Button has never developed the way they had projected.  Kampfer was used as trade bait after being the 7th D.  If the Bruins were still where they were when Boychuk and McQuaid arrived, I think he'd have seen more action and had a chance at a full-time role.  But they're defending champions, and developing a bottom pairing D is less important than bolstering the lineup for a Cup defense. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Replenishment and replacement for failed draft picks n trades. The signings are meant to push for AHL ice time and send pretenders to the ECHL or off to other organizations. So far Nick Tremblay, Justin Florek and Zach Trotman have had immediate impact helping the P-Bruins to within two points of a playoff spot. Players below did nothing to help Providence or their chances to be consistent a pro. Hamill = FAIL Bartkowski = FAIL Warsofsky = FAIL Button = FAIL Kampfer = FAIL (at least he fetched Zanon)
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Good post.

Books, were you around when I discussed Riendeau signing? LOL another un-drafted player although not from college.
    I would see Riendeau play on a regular basis and was happy he was signed. In Juniors he looked a little like Savard but that was because he out grew that rank and just couldn't translate that with bigger, faster, mature players. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's funny how when you spend enough time here you think of certain posters when something happens.  When I saw the Krug signing, I thought immediately of Bookboy.  I chuckled at his reaction to the signing of a smallish, NCAA, undrafted, mobile defensmen type.  Sorry Book, Chiarelli justs seems to like these guys.

For the possible upside, compare to one Andy Greene.  Also an undrafted defensmen from Michigan, who played in the CCHA for Miami-Ohio.  Similar size and both were senior captains and top defensemen in the CCHA.  Both were 24 by the time they became free agents.  New Jersey signed Greene to an FA contract after his season at Miami ended in '06 and by the middle of '07 he was a regular in the Devils lineup.  He's now played 300 NHL games.  Maybe Krug will go the way of Andy Greene -- they're kind of similar players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Greene's a relatively large 5'11" and 190s.  Not big, again, but not 5'7" and 170 either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No that's a good point Book as the season wore on for some of the prospects their numbers dropped as the AHL grind sunk in. So yeah we'll have to see if they are invited to camp this fall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Greene's a relatively large 5'11" and 190s.  Not big, again, but not 5'7" and 170 either.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Yeah, I know Greene's bigger, but still on the small side for an NHL D-man.  Is Krug really only 5'7?  When I watched him he didn't look that small.  I would have guessed 5'9 or so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Question about these College signings.. : Yeah, I know Greene's bigger, but still on the small side for an NHL D-man.  Is Krug really only 5'7?  When I watched him he didn't look that small.  I would have guessed 5'9 or so.
    Posted by Fletcher1

He is listed as 5'9 and 180 lbs on the B's web site. 
    http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476792

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, Michigan St. lists him at 5'9, 180 lbs too.

Miami-Ohio listed Andy Greene at 5'10, 185 lbs his senior year.

Comparable size, I would say. 

Sections
Shortcuts