question for all of you "die-hards"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: question for all of you "die-hards"

In all fairness to her, I have season tix and I left right around that time. In a 4-1 game with less than 5 minutes left, I think you can let her watch her carp.

With relationships, I always go by the "is it worth it" check. What's worse - missing the last 5 minutes of a game that the Bs dominated or having your gf pissed at you. I say the latter is worse.

Sounds like you're not the alpha in the house though, if that's not cool with you, you have bigger problems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I want to see Reds answer heh.

Honestly I would take a hardline on it. Take it or leave it. Im watching the B's and if you want to do something different fine do it without me. I love hockey my GF loves Art. I drag her to hockey games she drags me to art shows.

Now after a few years she likes hockey and I 'get' art sort of.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigMonty. Show bigMonty's posts

@King - none taken, I just didnt want to sound like I have no balls. I tend to accommodate her more often than not cuz i'm a laid back kind of person and i like to make people happy. and i want us to work as well. that being said, i do stand up when i need to (this being a perfect example).

now shes mad at me because i want to go play hockey tomorrow night, its the last game of the playoffs for three months, and she says I'll give up the bruins for them but not her. i plan on DVR-ing them and watching it saturday morning, before she's up.

thanks everyone for all of your advice, it does help a bit to hear that im not a total DB.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

It's all about compromise........but it has to be fair, and based on your info., it doesn't seem that it's very fair (for you). My wife (almost 27 yrs married) gets annoyed with me sometimes with my love of sports (Bruins/Steelers) and the fact I love to golf every chance I get. Like some others posted, you have to weigh the "Is it worth it" factor, while still standing up for yourself.

I envy those guys out there that have a wife/GF that enjoy hockey/golf/football......I think they are pretty rare.

Good luck, hopefully you can find a way to make it work for both of you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

This comes down to expectations. When I first met my wife 17 years ago I explained that I was Bruins fan and will always be a Bruins fan. I also explained that i am, admittedly, way over the top when it comes to rooting for this team and I will never change that. Simply put, she new what to expect from me right from the start.  During the regular season I like to watch as many games as I can but will DVR them if there are other important family needs that need to be attended to. She also knows that the playoffs are a completely different story and that I will be watching every second of every game without fail. She knows what to expect and we NEVER argue about watching the Bruins
    Relationships are alot of give and take. Let her know what your non-negotiables are come to a mutual agreement. If she is not OK with that then you may have problems that will only get worse with time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukin. Show lukin's posts

I say pick your battles.  Last night was in the bag by the end of the 2nd.  You could have earned some much needed bonus points by cedeing control of the remote to the girl.  Then cash in when needed in the 3rd round.  

This advice does not apply to the Cup (fingers crossed), as you are entitled to watch every minute of the game, and pre and post game analysis.  

For the record, I am also a die-hard fan of over 25 years.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

this is priceless! relationship advice from us? bigmonty, we bruins fans are a seriously disfunctional family. we can't get along with each other, and we're rooting for the same team. that being said, put your foot down! unless she it wicked hot and loves to get it on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards":
    [QUOTE]this is priceless! relationship advice from us? bigmonty, we bruins fans are a seriously disfunctional family. we can't get along with each other, and we're rooting for the same team..
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

it's true.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

[QUOTE]this is priceless! relationship advice from us? bigmonty, we bruins fans are a seriously disfunctional family. we can't get along with each other, and we're rooting for the same team..

We do put the "fun" in dysfunction though, right ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diggz. Show Diggz's posts

In Response to question for all of you "die-hards":
    [QUOTE]I've been a life long Bruins fan now for 30 years plus, they are one of two real passions I have in life (not to say I just like 2 things, the B's just get me going like few things can!). I play league hockey when I can, I own several pieces of Bruins merchandise, I watch probably about 90% of the regular season games and all of the playoffs. I consider myself a pretty hard core fan... I've been with my girl for 2 1/2 years, we've been living together for about 1 1/2 years, and I even moved from the Boston area to Northern VA for her and her job. Naturally, I bought the NHL package so I could follow them (I didnt see any other choice) so I always have the option to watch them. During the season, I would normally DVR the games so I could watch them when she was busy or not around, as she is definitely NOT a fan. Whatever, I know some people arent into hockey and I can respect that, so for her, I tried to be accommodating. But now that the playoffs are here and in full swing, I try to watch the games real-time. This has started many fights between us, for example, last night, she wanted to watch TV at 9:30, and the game was still going on (I believe it ended at 9:37), and I told her "just a few more minutes". She saw the score and said the B's were going to win and basically said I was being selfish (because I wouldnt give her the tv) and pretty much blew up at me. She doesnt understand my passion for the B's, even if they are up and going to win, I need to finish watching it. With all that said, its not like I dont return the favor. Other nights that she wants to watch TV, I'll let her, knowing I'll want to watch the B's the nights they're on. Give and take, make a compromise, all that jazz, but she thinks its unbalanced and that I'm selfish and dont spend enough time with her (which is BS, IMO, I make the weekends all about her). So my question to all of you die-hards out there with significant others who don't like hockey, how do you all work it out so that you dont end up in the penalty box? Cheers Josh
    Posted by bigMonty[/QUOTE]

Contact the B's media relations department and see if she can get mauled by the bear in a future 'Bruins Hockey Rules' commercial.

Seriously though, get a second TV.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

Hey Josh,

By any chance are you the same Monty who went to Northeastern and worked for worktech?

Pat M

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

break up....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'm one of those lucky ones whose wife enjoys surfing the interwebs on the couch as much as watching tv, so she's happily reading articles and playing games while the Bs are on. So three things:

1. Does your gal have anything to do during the Bruins games, or is she forced to sit in her misery and watch? Could make a difference if she had an alternative. In other words, get a hobby woman. You have yours.

2. Put the guilt back on her: Say if there's something she absolutely wants to watch in real time, then you're all for it. With that power, she realizes it's silly to ask you to give up a live playoff game so she can watch Glee or something. Rarely should anything come up that she can't DVR and watch later. You both win.

3. Bust out the grill. Tough for her to say no to the game at 7pm when you're simultaneously dropping a plate of tasty vittles off the grill in front of her.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

That suck man. I let my wife know that A i watch football on Sunday and when the Bruins are on. GAME ON! esp. in the play off and she knows it and is ok with it. Only thing i do is take some regular season games off, like 5-6. Otherwise i watch them, if i can't I DVR them and watch them when i can. Two TV would help. and she knows i have to have the one to watch in HD and she has to hit the other TV.

That tough man. I would have to call it off if she can't respect one of the few things you love and enjoy in life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

Monty brother, sounds like you have a real dilemma, because there's only two things in this world that matter - Bruins hockey and p u s s y. When the two worlds collide, WHOA!, that's a major problem! Good luck bro!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

As others have said, buy another TV, satellite, cable package whatever so she can watch whatever chick show she wants.

It's not worth watching a game if it isn't live.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Monty,

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.

This may be one of those things you cannot change, I say learn o ride out the storm or give up the battle!

I have a wife who hates hockey but who has always accepted me watching, so I can't offer much better advice.  I will say she was less begrudging when we upgraded the TV in the bedroom.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiz33. Show chiz33's posts

Just realized how good I have it!!!  Bruins game on there is no question in my family as my 2 kids with their jerseys on and my wife and our golden retriever named...you guessed it "Bruin"...all watch the game together.  The kids go to bed if things get too heated with me and the TV and then most often my wife comes back to watch with.   Then again we are born and bred eastern Canadians and we both grew up in the game....good luck with the rest of the playoffs....cmon Bruins...finish this off and move on to the next round!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

hanrahan... i disagree, i dvr'ed almost every regular season game. i'd begin watching around 7:45- 8:00, and FF through all commercials and between periods. i got it tuned so nicely, i'd end the last 5 minutes of the game on the live broadcast. playoffs- no way. different story. i'm counting down hours and minutes first thing out of bed in the morning. nothing better than playoff hockey. period

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I want to see Reds answer heh. Honestly I would take a hardline on it. Take it or leave it. Im watching the B's and if you want to do something different fine do it without me. I love hockey my GF loves Art. I drag her to hockey games she drags me to art shows. Now after a few years she likes hockey and I 'get' art sort of.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

I'd say dump her and find a chick who plays hockey ;) I have a few phone numbers for you if you're interested.

But seriously, my wife plays semi-pro, so this isn't an issue in my house. She is an Oilers fan though, so during the regular season we make trades if they're playing at the same time. One game will be the Bruins, the next the Oilers.

But beyond hockey, we have our own things. I'll spend a few hours a day writing, and she loves to sew and crochet. We try to coordinate these activities, so that we are both doing our "own" thing at the same time. This is a fairly effective solution for us, as neither one feels excluded because we're both doing our own thing. If she has friends around, or other hobbies, why not talk to her about using those three hours twice a week to pursue her other interests?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]hanrahan... i disagree, i dvr'ed almost every regular season game. i'd begin watching around 7:45- 8:00, and FF through all commercials and between periods. i got it tuned so nicely, i'd end the last 5 minutes of the game on the live broadcast. playoffs- no way. different story. i'm counting down hours and minutes first thing out of bed in the morning. nothing better than playoff hockey. period

Then you've got a lot more self control than I do. If I can't watch live then its just highlights for me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Did...did you just ask this board for life advice?

You're doomed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlastOff. Show BlastOff's posts

Lie.
    When the bruins aren't playing don't let her know and then you tell her your missing one of the biggest games of the season cause you love her
    Tell her the Bruins V. Panthers is the biggest rivalry in hockey but you can miss those games for someone so special.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

My wife hates sports but knows when the Bruins are on I am off the clock as a Husband...plus we have three tvs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

B. O. B.

BRUINS OVER BIATCHES