question for all of you "die-hards"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: question for all of you "die-hards"

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards":
    In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : You can't be serious.  Not sure if you're from the New England area, but if you want to be enlighted by women's hockey, check out a BC or BU women's hockey game next winter.  These ladies are not only skilled, but tough.  I sometimes joke with friends that they could probably kick any Red Sox's a**.
    Posted by gardenbees

I got floored by one of the BU girls during a pond hockey game this winter. I was shocked with how much pain a was in. No man has ever hit me that hard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the sister of a buddy of mine played at dartmouth, and dabbled with spots on women's national team. she skated circles around me, and most of the guys she played pickup with. if you could catch her and put a body on her, you could slow her down. but she was a pocket rocket (5' 3''), with legs like st. louis. not easy to do. it was a bit of a blow to the ego, believe me- i watch the women's game whenever it's on. great athletes 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : Gardenbees, there's a minority here who will always take shots at the women's game when given the opportunity. As a female player myself who is married to someone who has a good shot at making it to Sochi in 2014 on the Canadian Women's team, I've learned to ignore these comments as they know not of what they speak
    Posted by red75

Well, you have a very good attitude about it red.  I think most hockey fans appreciate good hockey being played anywhere.  And even if you don't, just don't watch, instead of trying to rain on the parade by being a boorish jerk.  Good luck to your wife -- hope to see her in 2014.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : I got floored by one of the BU girls during a pond hockey game this winter. I was shocked with how much pain a was in. No man has ever hit me that hard.
    Posted by callodthedom19

I could only imagine...  Wouldn't it be fun if one year the winner of the Men's Hockey East played the winner of the Women's Hockey East in a friendly?  I think that would get a lot of attention and open up a lot of eyes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : I could only imagine...  Wouldn't it be fun if one year the winner of the Men's Hockey East played the winner of the Women's Hockey East in a friendly?  I think that would get a lot of attention and open up a lot of eyes.
    Posted by gardenbees

I would be sure to get tickets to that game. That would be really neat to watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

gardenbees...sounds great in theory, but the size and strength of the men would make it a very lopsided affair. youth hockey maybe a little more level playing field. i say this from experience. i'm a wrestling coach, girls can compete(at a high level) with boys only as far as 112 pounds. the boys are younger and less physically mature. but this magical barrier is reached at 119 lbs-strangely this has held consistent over the years. most girls stop wrestling altogether at this point, the rest compete in women's tournaments. yes, women's wrestling is an olympic sport! check it out sometime- most guys wouldn't mess with these gals. they are tough

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

gardenbees...sounds great in theory, but the size and strength of the men would make it a very lopsided affair. youth hockey maybe a little more level playing field. i say this from experience. i'm a wrestling coach, girls can compete(at a high level) with boys only as far as 112 pounds. the boys are younger and less physically mature. but this magical barrier is reached at 119 lbs-strangely this has held consistent over the years. most girls stop wrestling altogether at this point, the rest compete in women's tournaments. yes, women's wrestling is an olympic sport! check it out sometime- most guys wouldn't mess with these gals. they are tough
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Those are excellent points - guess it wouldn't be very practical.  But on a youth level though, that would be interesting.  It would give a renewed respect for each other's sport at a young age.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

when i played youth hockey '78-'88, on an outdoor rink mind you(-25 degree games with horrible ice), one of our best players was a girl. i remember she wore full length pants(black with white stripes), and was the only one in our league that did. anyone remember those? not many players wore them. glad to say the kids in my small town still play on that rink, it's what hockey is all about. spit freezing to your cage, toes going numb-love it 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : Those are excellent points - guess it wouldn't be very practical.  But on a youth level though, that would be interesting.  It would give a renewed respect for each other's sport at a young age.
    Posted by gardenbees

Garden when I was 11-12yo we would take our youth A team up to Assabet Valley to play their 13yo Girls A team.

We got CRANKED!!! as did all the other boys teams they took up thier to play against these girls. I think it was like 8-0 whooping when we were the dominating AAA Select team in the South Shore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : Garden when I was 11-12yo we would take our youth A team up to Assabet Valley to play their 13yo Girls A team. We got CRANKED!!! as did all the other boys teams they took up thier to play against these girls. I think it was like 8-0 whooping when we were the dominating AAA Select team in the South Shore.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

That must've so cool to have these kinds of youth programs for boys and girls.  You were very fortunate, as well as, a lot of people here to have that in your area.  We just had field hockey, which I played.  Growing up in my area (Philly) youth hockey didn't exist for girls at the time and we didn't even have boys ice hockey at our schools.  Our NHL expansion team was just a couple of years old but obviously the sport grew over the decades there.  Not sure if they have any programs today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigMonty. Show bigMonty's posts

thanks again everyone for your comments, we sat down and had a heart to heart last night and it turned out there were other issues involved. we were able to talk them out and we're going to work on them, she even offered to watch the game sunday if they should lose tonight (i have a hockey game tonight so i'm DVR-ing the B's and rushing home afterwards to watch them). of course, i dont want to be watching any hockey related to the Bruins on sunday......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: question for all of you "die-hards" : That must've so cool to have these kinds of youth programs for boys and girls.  You were very fortunate, as well as, a lot of people here to have that in your area.  We just had field hockey, which I played.  Growing up in my area (Philly) youth hockey didn't exist for girls at the time and we didn't even have boys ice hockey at our schools.  Our NHL expansion team was just a couple of years old but obviously the sport grew over the decades there.  Not sure if they have any programs today.
    Posted by gardenbees

I hear ya - I started off in Ringette and then went to boys hockey teams after the supreme court made it legal. But there weren't the girls leagues that there are now. I have, however, been able to play in a women's league for years now, so I'm grateful for that.

And Monty, that's great to hear. Nice to know that communication can work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

The first time I met my future wife I was wearing my Bruins Jersey. I let the whole world know my first passion! Come playoff time the world stops and revolves around Bruin hockey. It also helps that my best friend is a Bruins fan. It's our time together. She appreciates that, at least. Don't worry though, i make up for it the nights Boston is not playing.
    She doesn't follow hockey or football and during those times she finds things that she like to do and does them. Give and Take.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I hope you got to watch this game...if not, leave her....

Sections
Shortcuts