Question for older B's fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Question for older B's fans

I'm down in Florida and want to know if the atmosphere is any where near what it was in the late 60's to 70's for the B's now???? Being down here and previously  Tucson you have a tendency not to think about hockey so just wondering?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Re: Question for older B's fans

I know how that feels now in Seattle but all my buddies back home have made it clear the excitement is palpable and everyone is donning a Bruins jersey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

Here in Baltimore, my co-worker and I are from Mass( in our fifties) and I know it's all we talk about.

Dez, that Bobby Orr Rush video had us both smiling for the rest of the day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from robeyone. Show robeyone's posts

In Response to Question for older B's fans:

I am not an old timer (40 years old), but I can tell you that the tides are turning. I was at the Patriots game today and was very impressed with the number of B's shirts on display by the fans. I am talking quite a bit of fans breaking out the spoked B jersey's. Very cool for a football game.

You have to remember that New England has been starved for good Bruin teams for two+ decades. But over the last handful of years, they have gotten better and better, and with the unbelievable ride to the cup last year, the fans are coming on strong.

I went to the Bruin's parade and cannot even explain what an incredible day it was. The city was packed to the seams. A day my daughter and I wont forget. It was a day that all the dormant fans could finally come together again. You would have had a blast...!

The greatest thing about B's fans to me, is the fact that there are not many "pink" hats. If you are wearing a Bruin shirt/hat, then you are likely a solid hockey fan. And when you walk around Massachusetts, you see a LOT of B's gear....being worn by Bruin's and hockey fans. Whereas over time the Red Sox Nation became such a trend, that people who have no clue about the sport were wearing Sox gear. Anything Red Sox actually became a turn off because it was so over the top.

Before 2004, the sun in New England rose and set on the Sox. I was one of those fanatics. But since 2007, the insanity of the Sox has diminished. I can tell you that before last year, the idea of sports radio talking about hockey was riduculous. It never happened. Sports radio had to beg the Bruins fans to stop calling because we all wanted to talk hockey in August.

You would be a better judge than me, but I am guessing that New England is not all the way back to the way we were back in the 60's and 70's. But the Bruin's fan base is strong, we enjoy the game of hockey, and we LOVE the B's.....!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Good to see regular posters on Boston.com and the one that called himself a " Fair-weather fan" talking and taking an interest in the Bruins. 
    Embrace this team they're really impressive and fun to watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

98.5 the sports hub became the #1 sports radio station in Boston because they talked alot about hockey .The parade was insane the biggest parade I ever seen. Five years ago nobody wore Bruins hats or shirts now everybody does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Question for older B's fans:
    [QUOTE]I'm down in Florida and want to know if the atmosphere is any where near what it was in the late 60's to 70's for the B's now???? Being down here and previously  Tucson you have a tendency not to think about hockey so just wondering?????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

OK 52 years old soon to be 53 later this month, and I still play, know coaches in the area & etc.

Atmosphere is no where near what it was in the late 60's to 70's, not even close.  In no particular order.

#1 Back then it was a colorful Bruins team - just about everyone had a nickname that stuck.

#2 Number of kids taking up hockey, I remember when they froze the tennis courts over - 4 courts, my friends and I came down to play, but we just went home because it was wall to wall kids.

#3 Public skating was every night 2hrs, double sessions on weekends with a long matinee and everyone skated, it was packed.

#4 Intramural and town recreation leagues were loaded with kids, at least 3x as many as the youth hockey (peewees, bantams etc.)

#5 New rinks getting built, there were tons of them.  I know of 3 that closed down after Orr when things cooled down.

#6 I believe there was even an attempt to start a major junior league around here.  I remember the Waltham Big M (whatever that stood for), and of course my memory is hazy but I think there was also the Stoneham Red Wings and Concord (NH) Generals.

Yes, there are more Bruins jersies and t-shirts being sold, but I know of no new rinks getting built, don't know of any leagues getting started.

There isn't one superstar like there was back then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

And indoor rinks were going up fast back in the early 70's. In Central Mass two in Fitchburg (side by side) at the plushly appointed Wallace Civic Center, now part of Fitchburg State University, one in Leominster, Orchard Hills which is now Roll On America (I believe) and one in Gardner (Veterans?) which may have been built late 60's-ish. Hockey exploded here as well as the rest of the state. The Civic Center was home to the Wallace Wallopers (NEJHL), the Fitchburg Hornets briefly (NEnHL), Bruins training camp for around ten years and countless high school, college and youth leagues. And correct me if I am wrong anyone, but Mylec, the manufacturer of street hockey blades and orange street hockey balls was based in Leominster at the time. You would have been hard pressed to find a house in the area without a few street hockey sticks near the backdoor at that time. It was about the game then, and playing it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Question for older B's fans:
    [QUOTE]Here in Baltimore, my co-worker and I are from Mass( in our fifties) and I know it's all we talk about. Dez, that Bobby Orr Rush video had us both smiling for the rest of the day.
    Posted by lostinbaltimore[/QUOTE]
    I hoped it would bring back some happy memories while educating some of the younger crowd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I was just happy to pass on the tradition to my son and was thankful he was born in New England before we ended up on the Left Coast. You should have seen the heat I took during the playoffs but we wore our Black and Gold proud every where we went. It was much fun. And we reveled in it when we won with out worrying about the nonsense riots. But we miss it back home and glad to see that the feeling we all had as kids or when Borque and Neely came to Boston or when Thorton was drafted and all the promise we did not recieve since kids finally are back in the beantown once again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

I'm 48 so I really don't recall the late 60's early 70's but these Bruin's have gotten me so exited that after 35 years I decided to play hockey again here in Santa Fe, NM. This team is so deeply loaded, I just enjoy how they go about their business and with all four lines contributing all game long...not to mention the stellar goaltending!!!

CJ has this team clicking and he's pressing all the right buttons...this team has totally bought in....meaning lots of headaches for the rest of the league.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I've been a Bs obsessive for about 40 years now and there's probably never been a better time to be a fan. 
    What even makes this sweeter is that this winning Bruins team plays the ideal form of Bruins hockey-tough, relentless physical, intimidating and skillful. Unlike this new unrecognisable ice soccer which Bettman wants to peddle.
    My mask is off to the entire team, Claude, PC, Neely and everyone else in the organisation who has made this happen. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's good to see today's enthusiasm, but the 60s and 70s were very special, and the cost for kids to play was reasonable. As the costs rose, and the team faded, Soccer became more appealing and inexpensive, while the Patriots and Red Sox grabbed most of the headlines. Those of us who lived thru those early years have great memories, and today's Bruins are playing a faster, more explosive game, where line chemistry and results are more important than individual performances.Let's all enjoy what we can and be thankful for the technology evolution which allows us to view every game, when the cost of going to a live game, more than a few times a month, is well beyond our reach. It's also more difficult to climb those stairs without a railing to guide us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

lostinbaltimore,
    You going to see the B's play on the 24th of January? Or the 5th of February?
    Already got tickets for the 24th, and I'm going to buy about 6 tickets for the 5th and go with 2 other B's fans, a Hawks fan, a Sabres fan, and an Islanders fan. Should be a blast, as they all hate the Caps more than the B's. Caps fans are probably the weakest, most pink-hat fanbase I've ever seen.

I'm 23, but I do remember the early 90's. I think that the hardcore B's fans are more excited than that, but I'm not sure on the bandwagon. I know that during the playoffs, I've never seen a bigger bandwagon. The Celtics '08 run couldn't come close to touching it. On facebook, every single person I knew who didn't care about the Bruins were posting about it. I feel as though it probably simmered a little bit throughout the summer, but fully expect it to heat back up in April.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

Trying to go to the Feb 5th. Your right about Cap fans, just weak......... No knowledge @ all. My buddy(Flyers Fan) go to games and just laugh all night long.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

It really is funny. They're way too sensitive. I just go in there and say whatever I want, and nobody has anything to say about it. The only opposition I faced was some little s*** kid, who turned out to be hilarious and I took a picture with him after the game. But the Hawks, Sabres, and Isles fan all loved seeing a good hockey fanbase win the Cup.
    It was sad being in Maryland for the championship run, as I wasn't able to be amongst the excitement with all my friends. I drove home for the parade so it would really sink in.
    I plan on being home for my mother and her husband to do their wedding vows again, and I am hoping that I get to celebrate a little bit more than that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

I was too young back in the days of Orr?Espo but things are so hot here right now even the talk show hosts on the radio who hate hockey (read: Denis and Callahan) are faking like they're fans because if they kept up their past diatribe their ratings would have kept sinking. Hopefully, they still are. Last year WEEI lost a lot of viewers to the Sports Hub thanks, in part, to the Bruins coverage. NESN keeps setting regular season TV ratings highs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I'd also attribute Dennis and Callahan talking hockey to the NBA lockout. I bet they'll get away from it in January. They will start complaining about how the Celtics need to get younger, which was obvious 2 or 3 years ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The fan excitement is better now than it's been in many many years, but will never match the intensity or fan interest of back in the 70's and prior. 12,000 people a night were at Sox games, you could buy tickets at the door for game 7 of the NBA finals, but you had to kill someone to get a Bruins tickets. Today is nice but back then it seemed magical. Boston was truly a hockey town.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I was just happy to pass on the tradition to my son and was thankful he was born in New England before we ended up on the Left Coast. You should have seen the heat I took during the playoffs but we wore our Black and Gold proud every where we went. It was much fun. And we reveled in it when we won with out worrying about the nonsense riots. But we miss it back home and glad to see that the feeling we all had as kids or when Borque and Neely came to Boston or when Thorton was drafted and all the promise we did not recieve since kids finally are back in the beantown once again.
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

I hear ya MacFact - even just yesterday, the wife and I went to Boston Pizza for dinner out in Coquitlam. The Canucks Flames game was on, and the waitress asked if I was a Canucks fan, I said no but that I was a huge hockey fan. When she asked me my team, and I said Boston, her eyes went wide as saucers and she looked at me like I had two heads and sarcastically said "Ooooooh, that must have been fun."

And to BadHab's point about new leagues, I know of a bunch that have started up in New England in the last five years or so - but they're all on the women's side of the game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]And indoor rinks were going up fast back in the early 70's. In Central Mass two in Fitchburg (side by side) at the plushly appointed Wallace Civic Center, now part of Fitchburg State University, one in Leominster, Orchard Hills which is now Roll On America (I believe) and one in Gardner (Veterans?) which may have been built late 60's-ish. Hockey exploded here as well as the rest of the state. The Civic Center was home to the Wallace Wallopers (NEJHL), the Fitchburg Hornets briefly (NEnHL), Bruins training camp for around ten years and countless high school, college and youth leagues. And correct me if I am wrong anyone, but Mylec, the manufacturer of street hockey blades and orange street hockey balls was based in Leominster at the time. You would have been hard pressed to find a house in the area without a few street hockey sticks near the backdoor at that time. It was about the game then, and playing it.
    Posted by SteveM[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about the jr history here in MA/New England.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, the facts as best as I can recall follow.
    I believe today's juniors are in NEJHL, New England Junior Hockey League and I believe it's Jr. B.
    Back in the 70's it was NEJHL, but the NorthEast Junior Hockey League and I'm not sure if they broke it down into Jr A and Jr B back then, it might have been all just called junior.
    I think they tried to emulate the Canadian junior leagues, where I think violense ruled the day.  I remember a friend of mine trying out for the Stoneham Red Wings and there being 4-5 fighting majors in the first 2 minutes and then a line brawl.  Tryout/scrimmage.

Sections
Shortcuts