Question for players - gloves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Question for players - gloves

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the way they make gloves nowadays?  All the gloves I've bought in last 10 years or so (CCM (2), Reebock, Easton) have had at least one sometimes 2 extra sponge pads sewn in on the inside.  They are never completely sewn in, they are just sewn in at the top, so you can flip them up into the wrist section.  

They make the gloves fit tight, more like a regular glove than a shell around your hand.

Why don't they sew these things in completely?  Or do they have some use that I'm not aware of?  To be honest, I've got out my razor and cut them out.  I'm hesitating on my latest pair.  The tightness is kind of good, but since they're not sewn in and if you lose a glove during a game the pads might not be lined up right when you have to get your gloves back on quickly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Question for players - gloves

AFraud has a pair of white-pilsbury-dough-boy batting gloves from the 2004 ALCS up for auction. Maybe those would work for you ?

I hear the sales pitch, for the gloves, is knocking things out of opposing players mitts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

You've bought four pairs of gloves in the last ten years and you only play once a week?  I've had my gloves for eight years and I play three times a week.  Give me your address and I'll go pick up your unwanted hockey equipment next time I'm in the area.  I could use some authentic BadHab game worn gloves.  I would also accept left handed sticks that have only been used a couple of times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You've bought four pairs of gloves in the last ten years and you only play once a week?  I've had my gloves for eight years and I play three times a week.  Give me your address and I'll go pick up your unwanted hockey equipment next time I'm in the area.  I could use some authentic BadHab game worn gloves.  I would also accept left handed sticks that have only been used a couple of times.

[/QUOTE]

Right now I'm playing once a week, but it varies by season. 

I sell off my old stuff.  Repalming gloves isn't a problem, but when the holes wear through to where the plastic wants to slip out, then you have to call it quits.

The Reebocks I gave up on right away, they had a weird cut so you couldn't open your hand all the way.  It made it hard to catch pucks and get your stick.

Sorry, I shoot right.  Smallest curve and closed face which is getting hard to find.

I've found the cheapest way to get sticks (and everything) is Pure Hockey - Hockey Monkey (and others) pro return stock.  I got some Warrior Dynasties for $80 apiece.  Otherwise ebay, and the best time I found to buy is over the summer.  The problem with the pro sticks is that they most often have really weird curves.

Right now I have Bryce Salvador's gloves from Hockey Monkey.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Reebocks I gave up on right away, they had a weird cut so you couldn't open your hand all the way.  It made it hard to catch pucks and get your stick.

[/QUOTE]

How many times a game do you catch pucks?  LOL

Bhab, you're a trip.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many times a game do you catch pucks?  LOL

Bhab, you're a trip.

[/QUOTE]

True, not that often.  It was just a for instance.

It is rare, but I notice that players will often play the puck with their stick - or try to - when playing the puck with their hand is the best way to go.  For instance when the puck gets caught on top of the boards against the glass guys will use their stick to knock it down when the much more efficient play is to sweep it off with your glove to exactly where you want it and continue from there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

It is rare, but I notice that players will often play the puck with their stick - or try to - when playing the puck with their hand is the best way to go.  For instance when the puck gets caught on top of the boards against the glass guys will use their stick to knock it down when the much more efficient play is to sweep it off with your glove to exactly where you want it and continue from there.

[/QUOTE]

When playing the puck, two hands on the stick is generally a better idea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most of the time that's true, but there are instances where it isn't.  Playing a puck sitting on the dasher, controlling a bouncing puck (like when you're at the point and you're trying to keep it in the zone) or catching a flying puck are instances where using your hand to gain control is the safer option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha, that's what I was thinking.  The whole hand is bare on mine and usually ride them out until they are literally falling off into pieces.  I think the ones I'm using now are 8-10 years old.  I don't know what this insert business is all about...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think defenseman are more likely to be put in situations where using their hands is a better option than for forwards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha, that's what I was thinking.  The whole hand is bare on mine and usually ride them out until they are literally falling off into pieces.  I think the ones I'm using now are 8-10 years old.  I don't know what this insert business is all about...

[/QUOTE]

Well worth it to get them repalmed, especially if you like like the gloves.

I got a pair of gloves repalmed at this place in Somerville probably about 15 years ago.  I saw they had hampers of Bruins socks and Bruins jersies on racks.  I asked if they sold any of them.  They said no, that the Bruins would be pretty pissed off if they did.  Turns out it was the place that washed the Bruins stuff.  "We clean the blood and puck marks off them and send them back."  I was surprised at how much they were stitched up - especially the socks.  You can't notice it unless you're close because they are sewn well.

I wonder if they still do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well worth it to get them repalmed, especially if you like like the gloves.

I got a pair of gloves repalmed at this place in Somerville probably about 15 years ago.  I saw they had hampers of Bruins socks and Bruins jersies on racks.  I asked if they sold any of them.  They said no, that the Bruins would be pretty pissed off if they did.  Turns out it was the place that washed the Bruins stuff.  "We clean the blood and puck marks off them and send them back."  I was surprised at how much they were stitched up - especially the socks.  You can't notice it unless you're close because they are sewn well.

I wonder if they still do that.

[/QUOTE]

Which place was that?  I used to live in Somerville (15 years ago...)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I was curious and looked it up, but nothing really rings a bell.

I'm really not sure, it might have been Riddell on Murdock st.

It kind of looks like the neighborhood, but then again, all of Somerville looks alike to me.

It was an industrial building, they didn't have a store front.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

[QUOTE]

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the way they make gloves nowadays?  All the gloves I've bought in last 10 years or so (CCM (2), Reebock, Easton) have had at least one sometimes 2 extra sponge pads sewn in on the inside.  They are never completely sewn in, they are just sewn in at the top, so you can flip them up into the wrist section.  

They make the gloves fit tight, more like a regular glove than a shell around your hand.

Why don't they sew these things in completely?  Or do they have some use that I'm not aware of?  To be honest, I've got out my razor and cut them out.  I'm hesitating on my latest pair.  The tightness is kind of good, but since they're not sewn in and if you lose a glove during a game the pads might not be lined up right when you have to get your gloves back on quickly.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure exactly what you're talking about because my gloves I bought last year don't have that.  But my previous pair - from way back in midget - were a pair of Eastons that had some extra padding inside that made them feel tight.  This padding could be flipped outward along your forearm.  The point of this padding?  Optional extra slash protection for the gap between your glove and elbow pad.  I never used it though, I kept it tucked in and liked the tighter glove feel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Bourque was still playing when I bought my current pair - I've had them repalmed, but see no need to replace them - they're worked in exactly how I like them and they're old school in that they come up well past the wrists. I know the shorter gloves are better for stick handling, but i'm a mucker D - I'd rather have the protection than the extra mobility.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Bourque was still playing when I bought my current pair - I've had them repalmed, but see no need to replace them - they're worked in exactly how I like them and they're old school in that they come up well past the wrists. I know the shorter gloves are better for stick handling, but i'm a mucker D - I'd rather have the protection than the extra mobility.

[/QUOTE]

For whatever reason, my left hand, my top hand on the stick, gets the outside worn out.  The right hand glove is always fine.  I think it's because when I fall or get knocked down I might get up with my left hand first.  I always gets holes in the outside and the plastic wants to come out of the fingers.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

For whatever reason, my left hand, my top hand on the stick, gets the outside worn out.  The right hand glove is always fine.  I think it's because when I fall or get knocked down I might get up with my left hand first.  I always gets holes in the outside and the plastic wants to come out of the fingers.

Odd - how high do you keep your left hand on your stick - are you grating it up against the tape on the butt, or on the boards when you've got your left side against them?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just thinking more about the wear on the outside of your left glove - how do you tape your stick?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hahaha...I would be willing to bet your gloves have a nice aroma about them by now!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My top hand is right at the top, in the 'normal' place.  I use that tacki-mac command grip.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/commandgrip.html

But all that would be palm wear, which is 'normal'.

I think it must have something to do with falling and the outside of my top hand running against the ice.  I can't think of it happening all that much, I've had this pair for about 5 years.  I've found the fabric outside to wear much better than the leather which seems to get eaten up really fast.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was just thinking if you held it right below the butt but had it hard taped and thick it could explain it - but if you're using those pre-formed grips that wouldn't make any sense. Just seems like a really strange part of the glove to wear out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

hahaha...I would be willing to bet your gloves have a nice aroma about them by now!

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't take long.  After only about a dozen games there's that hockey gloves smell that comes back after one washing no matter what you do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was just thinking if you held it right below the butt but had it hard taped and thick it could explain it - but if you're using those pre-formed grips that wouldn't make any sense. Just seems like a really strange part of the glove to wear out.

[/QUOTE]

It's the outside hard parts of the fingers and upper part of the thumb that always go for me.  And I just recalled, with leather gloves the inside of the wrist.  Doesn't happen with the fabric exterior.

Sections
Shortcuts