Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler

Never tought I was going to say that one day ...but I like Pouliot better than Wheeler ....and mark my words ..Pouliot will become a real beast in the second half

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler

In Response to Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler:
    Never tought I was going to say that one day ...but I like Pouliot better than Wheeler ....and mark my words ..Pouliot will become a real beast in the second half Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Has he replaced Wheeler as the best power forward in the NHL ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Wheeler never has been the best power forward anywhere. Pouliot is faster and more skilled, with his new found confidence, based on playing on a solid, dependable team, he is improving in almost every game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It's interesting to compare these two. Both were very high draft picks (Wheels was #5 in '04 and Pouliot was #4 in '05). They are similar in age and both have underperformed.

Pouliot looks like the better scorer of the two right now. More goals than Wheels ( 6 vs. 3) but less overall points but with less TOI. Pouliot managaes to not go offsides 4 times/game so that's a plus for him. Pouliot probably has more upside as a pure scorer than Wheeler but I would say Wheeler has the better all-around game right now but has probably plateaued while Pouliot seems to be improving. Lets' hope he reaches the potential everyone saw in him when he was drafted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler:
    In Response to Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler : Has he replaced Wheeler as the best power forward in the NHL ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Nooo. Big Wheel was the best power forward in the NHL while he wore the spoked B. Once he was shipped out he became persona non grata. An insignificant cog in the mediocrity of winnipeg. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Wheeler never has been the best power forward anywhere. Pouliot is faster and more skilled, with his new found confidence, based on playing on a solid, dependable team, he is improving in almost every game.
    Posted by bogie6

Thanks bogie. Stanley has had me believing this about Wheeler all this time until you clarified.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Question : Is Pouliot better than Wheeler : Nooo. Big Wheel was the best power forward in the NHL while he wore the spoked B. Once he was shipped out he became persona non grata. An insignificant cog in the mediocrity of winnipeg. ;)
    Posted by WalkTheLine

So before Wheeler who was it according to Stanley ? P.J. Axelsson ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

Rather than comparing Wheeler to Pouliot it should be the guy who they traded for......Peverley.    Peverley is by far a better all around player than Wheeler....this guy can do it all...kill penalties, skate like the wind, play the power play, go the net with speed and without fear.....hands down Peverley is a major upgrade over Wheeler.   Pouliot basically replaced Ryder.  Poulot has less goals but I like the way he has played the last 10 games or so.  He goes to the net without the puck, he is taking the body regularly and putting some timely goals in the back of the net.  and I agree i feel he will improve as the season wears on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

One thing i've noticed about Pouliot, is that he is a very physical player. He takes the body and dishes out bodychecks way more than Wheeler ever thought about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Can't dangle like Wheeler.....but Wheeler was so lazy that sometimes he was too lazy to simply try to stickhandle. There were some things that Wheeler would make look ridiculously easy, but he just would never go full speed.....
    I'll take Benoit's 100 mph game, even if he is falling over himself (seems like he's a little more under control recently) over Wheeler's lack of interest and occasional flash of brilliance.

Pouliot doesn't possess Ryder's skill, either, but see above for why I might take him over Ryder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ever since Pouliot got to play with Kelly and Pevs, his game and confidence increased....Any why wouldnt it....he gets to play with two really good players with speed. Plus that line gets more freedom to play offense, rather than just playing a shut down mentality.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pouliot has been in the league since 2007, 5 1/2 seasons and has scored 43 goals. Wheeler has potted 60 in just over 3 years. Talent wise Blake does circles around Benoit but P00-P00 fits perfectly as a round peg in Julien's board, Wheels on the other hand was a square block after having a promising rookie season.

As long as Blake refuses to take the body it won't matter how many assists he gets to hand Evander Kane he will never get a raise. Benoit on the other hand just might have resurrected his NHL career but with another organization I wonder how well he would do.

If I were a GM filling a last spot on an Olympic team I would take Wheeler he's a better skater and can thread the needle, Pouliot can do neither well. Benoit gets the edge in hitting by a landslide.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoSoxFanPeds. Show BoSoxFanPeds's posts

I don't know much about Wheeler, but I like the way Pouliot has improved his game on the third line...If Paille wasn't on the first line, it would have been fun to see PooPoo skate with Krejci & Horton..Benoit has found a home in front of the net let's keep there and watch him blossom into a twenty goal score 40 point guy...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They are both big guys with good speed and talent. So far as a Bruin Pouliot seems to be bringing more intensity and physical play. He goes hard to the net, something wheeler never did. Wheeler has some good hands when he uses them. I think I would take Pouliot just because he seems real committed to the Boston game plan and gives full effort. In a related comparison, I think the Peverley-Kelly-Pouliot may be as good or better than the Ryder-Krejci-Wheeler unit from a few years ago. Best third line going.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Question is, why is there a thread with Blake Wheelers name on it? Water under the bridge. Yesterdays news.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pouliot has done this before - let's not forget that.  When he went to the Shabs from the Wild, he went on a bit of a tear with 15 goals in 39 games.  That's 30 goal guy numbers right there.  Last year, he reverted to the 13 goal guy the Wild ditched for Latendresse.  He needs to continue to play well and produce around the net before I'll give up my crush on...

...sorry, we were comparing him to Wheeler?

Never mind.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's going to sustain this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not the best comparison, but Pouliot is earning his ice time, and many nights Wheeler failed to earn anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Yes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Some of you know my past unconditional love for Blake Wheeler until the B's won the Stanley Cup...I have now turned the page and my new love is Pouliot (I like the underdogs) ...I also love Paille ....and Hamill ....but I think Pouliot has all the potential to become a Super star...lets see if I will be right again just like my Sept 2010 prediction about winning 3 Stanley Cups in a row ...   Stanley cup to the BRUINS in 2010-2012-2013

Stanley cup to the BRUINS in 2010-2012-2013

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Is it the distortion of my TV or does Pouliot appear to be much bigger than 6"3" 199# they list on the roster? He seems to be hitting people with a lot more oomph than a sub 200 pounder. He's changed my mind since I put him on a bus to Providence in OctoberFoot in mouth. Thanks to Kelley and Pevs-best deadline acquisitions of PC's career. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

I see Wheeler as a 3rd line guy who thinks he should be on 1st or 2nd. (hence his short burst of skill)

Pouliot is a 3rd line guy who thinks he should be on the 3rd line. And why wouldn't he, Peverley and Kelly are the best guys for this line.

If players think they are not getting their due diligence, they become sour and not care.

This is what makes this years Bruins the team to beat. They play as a Team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hmmm most were burning CJ for the Pouliot pick up this summer.  I thought he was a back up to the plans to use Caron.  He was better.  Pouliot has found a spot with two equally fast linemates on the third line that has potential second line stats.  He wanted to be a second liner in Montreal, and just did not fit in to the scheme.  If he started well for Minnesota then failed then I think he was just immature or pushed too early.  Now, he may be show casing his skill to land a bigger contract next year, I think differently than Sandog, he will become a decent 2nd liner but not on a front running team.  So, his time in Boston may be short lived. The move makes CJ a genius nonetheless, heh?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think differently than Sandog, he will become a decent 2nd liner but not on a front running team.  So, his time in Boston may be short lived. The move makes CJ a genius nonetheless, heh?  Posted by islamorada

How does Pouliot do on a team that isn't as tight defensively ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Montreal was tight defensively last year, and Pouliot did not do well.  It is his line mates that have allowed him to play better overall.  My point is he is progressing as a player enough to earn him a contract to play on a second line elsewhere.  Wheeler thanked CJ for teaching him how to play defensively, just maybe the same can be said for Pouliot.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Won't matter what Pouliot does when Ray Whitney is riding with Kelly and Pevs in March. The Wizard is coming...

Sections
Shortcuts