QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS

In Response to Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS : Yeah, right?  Gilbert kind of gets lost in those Cheevers years.  Remember Gilbert almost taking the Habs singlehandedly in the 1977 playoffs? Cheevers and TT, 2 different types.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

You mean 79'. The B's got swept in 77' by the Shabs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS : I watched cheevers for many years and what you are saying has nothing to do with the goalie he was. Pure money goalie, when the chips where down cheesy would show up. By the way he never backed away from anything....that was his trade mark. I appreciate the knowledge of your posts but you are way off on this one. I know because I lived it. Scared of getting hurt??? He was a goalie that would skate out to the blue line to pick a fight.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]
    Hang on there Paulie. Look it up on utube on a story that Brad Park says about Cheesy. I heard Bobby Hull himself told me where Cheevers gave him a wide open net. The score was 6-3 for Chicago at the time, but Cheevers literially hid behind his defensemen when Hull whined up near the faceoff circle! After Hull scored. Cheevers said "the heck with the aveage; I'm not that freakin crazy"!
    So he showed up to play when it counted; but don't say he never backed down! It's right on utube from his teammate if you don't believe me. In the over all scheme of things. Red is right!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Cheevers was exactly that...a money goalie...His best games were often playoff games, like how underrated he was v. the Rangers in the last cup win. Take a look at the tape of the Habs beating the B's at Garden, 2-1 game in overtime that clinched the not sure which cup, might have been 77. Anyway, Cheevers made two amazing stops right before one of the dumbest passes I've ever seen by a B's d-man, which led to the GW goal out in front.  Cheevers kept that game 1-1 for as long as he could. It was as good as I've ever seen him..and it was a loss. Thomas is a phenomenal goalie, and right up there as one of the best in B's history, but he will have to backstop this team to a Cup to be in Cheevers class.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Really my lasting memory of Cheevers was his very last game...The B's got beat in overtime by the Islanders. In typical Cheesie fashion, the goal was scored, and before you could see the Isles celebrating, the broadcast cut to Cheevers who was gone down the tunnel...forget handshakes. He lost, game over, career over, I'm outta here...Loved it...made me laugh when I saw it because it was a depressing moment that Cheevers turned into a somewhat humerous one. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS : Same here..Grew up watching GG, lemilin, Moog, Vachon, Craig, Ranford, Peeters, Dafoe..to name a few...TT has a style all his own IMO...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like we're around the same age. As happy as I was when Moog helped get us past the Habs, it would seem the organization took a step back when Sinden traded Ranford and Geoff Courtnall for Moog.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Cheevers had a wicked glove hand....stand up goalie...played his angles really well...knew where he was all the time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS : I don't agree there at all.  Moog was a better goalie.  Ranford happened to play on a loaded, experienced machine in the late 80's/early 90s in Edmonton. Other than 1990, Ranford's career was no better than Moog's. Boston had problems getting a goalie in the 80s after Peeters and Moog had experience, so Sinden went with that over an unknown in Ranford.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    Didn't Ranford win the Conn Smythe while defeating Boston in the final?I wasn't comparing the 2 player's careers. I simply stated the trade of Courtnall(32 goal scorer) and Ranford was a steep price to pay for Moog.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ranford was never more brilliant than when he beat the B's in the finals, but Moog was a better career goalie. I often went back and forth on that trade and with years now after it was all said and done, it solidified a great tandem with Lemelin. One wonders how things would have played out had he not given a softee to Klima in the famous 3-OT game. Moog was often a money goalie himself. I just don't think he was very lucky. Fuhr and Ranford got all the glory in Edmonton, playing on spectacular offensive teams. I would have personally hung on to Ranford as I thought he was a terrific goalie in his first stop with B's. But I don't regret trading for Moog at all. He did what he could in the B's jersey and represented the team well as did Rejean.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]didnt mean there styles. I ment just the fact they might not always look great getting the win but put the clamps down when the game was on the line.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

No. I watched Cheevers play day in and day out, spoke to him and Johnston on more than one occasion.  Im pretty familiar with what he did in Boston.

There's nothing comparable about their styles.  Cheevers was basically a standup goalie of the 70s who occasionally went down in a typical hybrid of the era.  Plante stood up all day, Esposito went down all day.  There wasnt a style in the 70's similar to Thomas, maybe Crozier.

Cheevers was known for being a "batttler" but not in the way Thomas is.  Thomas simply makes every shot look hard, thats all there is to it.  He has great physical skills and never gives up on a shot, which I think compares him most to Hasek more than anyone, but not closely.  Hasek stayed closer to the goal line and was physically unbelievable.  Thomas has such fundamentals problems he is always out of position, give up bad rebounds and routinely needs to overact on saves the rest of the goalies in the NHL make without breaking a sweat, fooling people into thinking he's "spectacular."

I think last nights 6-5 debacle causes this question, because Cheevers was known as a guy who won and wasnt always pretty.  fact is the Bruins, like the later Oilers, were offense first and often left Cheevers and Johnston out to dry.  Their saves were more important as "timely" and yes, winning was the bottom line.

TT on the other hand plays for a defense-first team and the other goalies on his team like last years Rask and the year before Fernandez before he was hurt, often have numbers at the top of the NHL, just like Thomas.  He cant get away with a lot of awful games like last night by explaining it away with, "well he won... like Cheevers used to."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I'm 51 and they are nothing alike. TT is his own goalie.

The only comparible is Hasek. And that is high praise. Best I've ever seen. The only goalie who actually scared me if the Bruins or Team Canada HAD to score. I'll always believe all goalies can be beaten if you out play the other team. But not Hasek when he was at the top of his game. And even he lost to Dallas when in Buffalo (on a very questionable goal).

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]The big difference is that everyone loved Cheevers while with Thomas there's still people who dump on him despite his many achievements. Total BS.
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

That's because there was no Internet. I'm sure if there was a message board in 1972, there would have been posters yelling at Tom Johnson for playing Cheevers instead of Eddie Johnston. (I liked both of them).

There are morons in every era.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Thomas reminds me of Billy Smith of the Islander dynasty. Smith was unorthodox and dived all over the place and from time to time let in a softie but when it came down to crunch time he was money in the bank - an absolute brick wall. Ryder even said they let up again in the third but TT saved their bacon.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

It's funny you posted this because when I saw the thread, that's exactly what I was thinking. Billy Smith sometimes gets overlooked but he was as clutch as they come. One of my favorite goalies of all time.

In fact he and Cheevers are my two favorite, although I have a soft spot for Johnston and Gilbert too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I remember Cheevers saving a goal by blocking with his leg straight up while lying on his back...he was positonal, but scrambled when he had to...made some eye-popping saves and some real groaners...I loved him...typified a crazy group of guys back then!
    I also remember Espo scoring by deflection off of his hiney too...not all of the 76 he got one year looked like Seguin's goals.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadien175. Show Canadien175's posts

All goalies play a different style today. Bigger equipment, more positional, less reactionary, less mobile, although TT is more acrobatic than most.
    Like Cheevers, Thomas is intense with a great sence of humor. I`ve herd media types say TT is the best interview in the league.
    One time Cheevers disappeared on a drinking binge for a couple of days. Nobody knew where he was. As he finally walked in, Sindin pointed at the phone and mouthed the words Ìts your wife!` Without breaking stride, Cheevers barged into the office shouting `DONT PAY THE RANSOME! DONT PAY THE RANSOME!`
    The story I herd about the Bobby Hull slapshot (the most feared ever) was that the Blackhawks had put him on the point for the power play. After missing  the net twice, with the puck bouncing all the way back to the blue line, before the third shot Cheevers shouted `Would you hit the God damn net before you kill somebody`
    Both characters. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77Fan. Show 77Fan's posts

Though I'm not old enough to remember Gump Worsley play, I've heard that he is a great comparison to Timmy Thomas.
    You decide
    http://youtu.be/NMQW4GjJwnw

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]Thomas reminds me of Billy Smith of the Islander dynasty. Smith was unorthodox and dived all over the place and from time to time let in a softie but when it came down to crunch time he was money in the bank - an absolute brick wall. Ryder even said they let up again in the third but TT saved their bacon.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

That's a long reaching comparison. It takes a lot to rile up Thomas. Smith could carve a turkey with his hockey stick and would clear the front of his net like a street sweeper on crack. Just one of many samples below involving our friend Lindy Ruff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErkTIos4t6o

Smith was Mr. tough guy until he met up with Stan Jonathan. Back in the 77-78 season he hacked at Stan one too many times. Jonathan truned and hit him square in the mask one punch with his glove on. Smith needed to hit the bench to have his caved in mask repared.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Yeah, no comparison of TT to Smith. Smith was a pretty tough dude.  Thomas would still be looking for his chicklets if Price didnt feel bad for him after tossing him around.  Smith's got 4 of those shiny rings, too.  Twice as many as Cheevers and 4 more than Trophy Tim.

I guess you could sorta compare him to Tony Esposito a bit...Tony O had the butterfly style which made made more saves look harder than they were as compared to the technically sound stand up guys of his era.  Tony O nailed down 15 shutouts his first full year though, in an era when a 3.00 GAA would lead the league.  Pretty impressive.  He made Chicago into a contender. Still, like most overly acrobatic types, he was a candidate for the softie more often than the technical guys.

Same amount of Cup wins, too.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: QUESTION TO THE OLDER BRUINS FANS : That's because there was no Internet. I'm sure if there was a message board in 1972, there would have been posters yelling at Tom Johnson for playing Cheevers instead of Eddie Johnston. (I liked both of them). There are morons in every era.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  Bobby Orr would have had his detractors here...if internet message boards were around in the day.
    I'm mid 50's, and always liked Cheevers, however he wasn't considered the goalie TT is.  Pretty hard to pidgeon hole his style with anyoine elses too.
    Forget my opinion, and consider this.  There are many independant experts who think TT is the leagues best goalie.  He'll probably win the Vezina 2 of 3 years.
    At the time, nobody thought Cheevers was the leagues best.  He never won a Vezina, or even came close(back then it wasn't voted on, just the best gaa)  In the glory days,(69-73) there were only 12 teams.  6 were terrible.  Most considered the Rangers(vezina winner Giacomin), Montreal(Dryden) and Chicago (Esposito) to be deeper in net.  Plante, Hall, and Sawchuck were still considered highly.  Parent cam along and stole the show for a few years with Philly(74, 75).  Dryden was the man for Montreal closing out the 70's, however he wasn't considered as much of a one man show then, because the team as a whole was a powerhouse.
    Again, the hockey industry never thought of Cheevers as elite.  Good yes...but not elite.  Many think TT is in the elite category, and 2 vezina's in 3 years would validate that.
    Bruins teams from the late 60's to the end of the Orr/Espo era didn't rely on that position much.  They were just dominant overall.
    Another huge factor in Cheevers legend is the fact that Eddie Johnson was perceived by many as a less than adequate back up.
    Today, goaltending is considered one of the Bruins greatest strengths.  In the day....goaltending wasn't even on the list.  Not because it wasn't good, just because there were so many other areas that were great.
    Cheevers is one of my all time favorite Bruins, but more because of his personality than his ability.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

[QUOTE]Cheevers had the best player ever in front of him and most of the time rushing up ice and dominating the game offensively, defensively and physically--- something that #99 could only do 1 out of those 3.  The fact that the #99 is retired for all teams, and #4 is not--- ridiculous!!!
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]

No doubt about it! Think about 5 Gretzky's on the ice vs 5 Orr's, who is gonna win? No chance Orr loses, he could do it all.
    I agree with the thought that Cheesie was acrobatic by times but nowhere near  as much as TT. TT is better but I loved scarface!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I never quite got why a good number of Bruins fans are down on Thomas. There are so few elite players in the league, and fewer are goaltenders. I know that the grass is always greener, but a list of cup winners in the past 10 years really shows a striking change in goaltender dominance post-lockout (see below).

I guess my point is Thomas gives the Bruins as good a shot as any other goalie gives their team in this new era. He hasn't stolen a game yet, but he is coming up big at the right moments. I believe his best is yet to come, too.

2011 Playoffs Stats (won at least 1 round)

Roberto Luongo (10-5 / 2.28 / .917 / 2 shutouts)

Dwayne Roloson (9-4 / 2.37 / .931 / 1 shutout)

Tim Thomas (9-4 / 2.39 / .927 / 0 shutouts)

Jimmy Howard (7-4 / 2.50 / .923 / 0 shutouts)

Antti Niemi (7-7 / 3.30 / .900 / 0 shutouts)

Pekka Rinne (6-6 / 2.57 / .907 / 0 shutouts)

Michal Neuvirth (4-5 / 2.34 / .912 / 1 shutout)

Brian Boucher (4-4 / 3.13 / .904 / 0 shutouts)

Cup Winning Goalies

2010: Antti Niemi (16-6 / 2.63 / .910 / 2 shutouts)

2009: Marc-Andre Fleury (16-8 / 2.61 / .908 / 0 shutouts)

2008: Chris Osgood (14-4 / 1.55 / .930 / 3 shutouts)

2007: Jean-Sebastian Giguere (13-4 / 1.97 / .922 / 1 shutout)

2006: Cam Ward (15-8 / 2.14 / .920 / 2 shutouts)

2004: Nikolai Khabibulin (16-7 / 1.71 / .933 / 5 shutouts)

2003: Martin Brodeur (16-8 / 1.65 / .934 / 7 shutouts)

2002: Dominik Hasek (16-7 / 1.85 / .920 / 6 shutouts)

2001: Patrick Roy (16-7 / 1.70 / .934 / 4 shutouts)

2000: Martin Brodeur (16-7 / 1.61 / .927 / 2 shutouts)

Thomas Save % by Game

Game 1:  .950

Game 2: .885

Game 3: .944

Game 4: .895

Game 5: .978

Game 6:  .926

Game 7: .919

Game 8: .912

Game 9: .963

Game 10: .974

Game 11: .957