Raise The Draft Age?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Raise The Draft Age?

Discussions are underway regarding whether to raise the age of draft eligible players to 19. What do you guys think about this issue? I personally would like to see them LOWER the age but keep 18 as the minimum age that you're allowed to play in the NHL. What I mean is that if a team wanted to draft a 15 year old like Tavares for instance(stud at that age),they're welcome to do that but still have to wait until he's old enough to play. Thoughts?
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2011/10/20/king_chl_age/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Raise The Draft Age?

I think it's fine as it is.  I wish they would lower the AHL age to 18.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

But I am curious as to why you'd want to lower the draft age. It's a cr@p shoot now with 18 yr olds, so why?

I'd prefer they raised it. 

From what I saw, Seguin could have used another year in Junior. Same with Hall. 

It's just that they have a long time ahead as adults, and a very short time as kids. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age?:
    [QUOTE]But I am curious as to why you'd want to lower the draft age. It's a cr@p shoot now with 18 yr olds, so why? I'd prefer they raised it.  From what I saw, Seguin could have used another year in Junior. Same with Hall.  It's just that they have a long time ahead as adults, and a very short time as kids. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]
    I just don't think there's anything wrong with teams being allowed to roll the dice on a kid provided they're willing to wait for him. It would still be exceptionally rare for a kid to be picked at that age but I don't see the harm in it when we're talking about guys like Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, Tavares, etc. Drafting young still wouldn't mean a team had to play them when they turn 18. My suggestion would have no bearing on their development aside from maybe having the parent clubs looking for something more specific in how they train.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If they did lower it like that, there wouldn't be any 18 year olds worth anything that were still around to be drafted after a couple of years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Yeah, you might be right but I think there are all kinds of players that would improve by leaps and bounds between the ages of 15-19 and there would also be many others that flop. Imagine you're the GM that thought drafting a 15 year old Kabanov would be a good idea? A player like Bergeron, for instance, still likely wouldn't have been drafted at 18. Lucic certainly wouldn't have been snatched up early. I also should've added that a 1st or 2nd round pick would have to be used on a "special" player so that teams wouldn't just throw all of their late round picks at random teen projects.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You'd have teams using their final four rounds taking flyers on 15 yr olds - figuring hey, why not?  I'll use my seventh round pick to take this kid burning up the midget league he's in because he might be a Tavares in 5 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]You'd have teams using their final four rounds taking flyers on 15 yr olds - figuring hey, why not?  I'll use my seventh round pick to take this kid burning up the midget league he's in because he might be a Tavares in 5 years.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Book, you missed where I added there'd be a stipulation that a 1st or 2nd rounder would have to be used to prevent just such a thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I"ve been listening to this idea for the past couple of days on the radio.

Bob Nicholson's point is the NHL is able to draft 18 year olds only in the first round.  It would be a 19 year old draft otherwise raising it a year . This idea would be for players staying longer in their leagues for development purposes.

There seems to be some interest among NHL GM's. My thoughts are it will stay the same way it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Raise The Draft Age?:
    [QUOTE]Discussions are underway regarding whether to raise the age of draft eligible players to 19. What do you guys think about this issue? I personally would like to see them LOWER the age but keep 18 as the minimum age that you're allowed to play in the NHL. What I mean is that if a team wanted to draft a 15 year old like Tavares for instance(stud at that age),they're welcome to do that but still have to wait until he's old enough to play. Thoughts? http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2011/10/20/king_chl_age/
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I don't like this. NHL scouts would be filling up minor hockey arenas scouting kids that are barely in high school. It's too competitive for the kids as it stands now. Let the kids have some fun with the game first before putting big time pressure on them at even an earlier age . Let them grow !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I think it's fine as it is.  I wish they would lower the AHL age to 18.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I missed the qualification.

I wonder if the AHL deal would change with a 19 year old draft.  That wouldn't be a terrible trade-off.  I means the Canadian Hockey League teams keep their Halls and Seguins, RNH's and Landeskogs an extra year, but they lose a year of some later first rounders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

So the sole purpose of the change is to protect junior teams from losing players?  If that is the case, I am sorry, but I disagree.  If an 18 year old was allowed to sign a contract with the NHL while playing for his junior team (money in hand with no cap ramifications) then I would be more inclined to be in favor.  Some players can make the jump to the NHL as 18 year olds ie.  Larsson this year for instance. So the argument is not easily solvable.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I think the point Chowda made about letting the "kids" still be kids and have fun is more important in this discussion. Keep the money away from such young players. We.ve read here about how a young ,skilled player blew it all with too much booze. Moving the money train down is not a good move, and limiting to 18 year olds in the first round only seems to focus on a few elite talents. There's too much money as it is, and too many "agents" who will mislead young kids and their parents.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I like the idea of having 18 year olds draft eligible for the 1st round only .  If a player is that talented he can play in the NHL.  19 years old for 2nd rounds +.
    Bottom line is the Junior teams wanting to profit one more year with these phenoms.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Any kind of sliding scale seems like an invitation to trouble if you ask me. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]So the sole purpose of the change is to protect junior teams from losing players?  If that is the case, I am sorry, but I disagree.  If an 18 year old was allowed to sign a contract with the NHL while playing for his junior team (money in hand with no cap ramifications) then I would be more inclined to be in favor.  Some players can make the jump to the NHL as 18 year olds ie.  Larsson this year for instance. So the argument is not easily solvable.    
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Absolutely wrong ! The sole purpose of this idea is for development ( and not what you're inferring that junior teams are trying to protect their players from being moved ) of all players in all leagues ( college, Europe , high school, etc. ). This was emphatically stated by Bob Nicholson in the interview that I listened to. If an 18 year is good enough he would be taken in the 1st round. If he isn't then he has another year to develop.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : Absolutely wrong ! The sole purpose of this idea is for development ( and not what you're inferring that junior teams are trying to protect their players from being moved ) of all players in all leagues ( college, Europe , high school, etc. ). This was emphatically stated by Bob Nicholson in the interview that I listened to. If an 18 year is good enough he would be taken in the 1st round. If he isn't then he has another year to develop.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I'd be stunned if you actually believe that.

No one in those leagues is interested in development.  They are interested in keeping their better/best players longer to make more money. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : I'd be stunned if you actually believe that. No one in those leagues is interested in development.  They are interested in keeping their better/best players longer to make more money. 

Well then be stunned . Bob Nicholson who has suggested this idea is President of Hockey Canada. He is not employed by the CHL. He has talked with other federations of hockey to see what they thought of this idea before bringing it forward to the NHL to see what they think.

If we were talking about someone  ( like CHL President Dave Branch ) who has direct connections to the CHL then I could see your point. But Nicholson doesn't . You obviously didn't know who Bob Nicholson was .

I'm here to help you and now you do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, the President of Hockey Canada is more interested in Jared Knight's developing skills than selling tickets in London. 

No he's not.  Hockey Canada is a business.  From the wiki:  In 1968, the Government of Canada formed Hockey Canada to oversee all operations of ice hockey in Canada, including amateur, university and professional.

What's more important to the President of this organization, Jared Knight's goal totals, or London's box office return?  Knight tearing it up will increase the box office.  Knight in Providence does nothing for Mr. Nicholson's organization. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Yes, the President of Hockey Canada is more interested in Jared Knight's developing skills than selling tickets in London.  No he's not.  Hockey Canada is a business.  From the wiki:  In 1968, the Government of Canada formed Hockey Canada to oversee all operations of ice hockey in Canada, including amateur, university and professional. What's more important to the President of this organization, Jared Knight's goal totals, or London's box office return?  Knight tearing it up will increase the box office.  Knight in Providence does nothing for Mr. Nicholson's organization. 

You obviously needed Wiki to understand who I was talking about.  He is involved in all aspects of Canadian hockey right down to kids hockey. If you think his sole purpose for this suggestion is to cater to junior hockey and trying to line everyone's pockets including his own then we have a scoop and you should be writing for Eklund. It is for development of hockey in Canada and everywhere as he suggests. You have no idea what Nicholson's obligations are to the game of hockey in Canada.

You suggesting that money is the main factor for Nicholson saying this tells me that the ' dude doesn't know his hockey '.

P.S. Making accusations about someone you had to look up this morning on Wiki. And I'm making you look foolish ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How does Jared Knight playing in London as opposed to Providence enhance the overall Canadian hockey experience?

How does Jared Knight playing in Providence as a 19 year old opposed to London hurt his development?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]How does Jared Knight playing in London as opposed to Providence enhance the overall Canadian hockey experience? How does Jared Knight playing in Providence as a 19 year old opposed to London hurt his development?

What does Jared Knight playing in Canada or Providence have anything to do with the topic ? Earth To NAS this is a topic on raising the age for drafting players and why. Not where they play afterwards.

Trying to twist the topic again . Not this time ! Maybe shupe ( Canadian ) can step in and set you straight on this . I apparently can't. The barrier is too thick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This has been interesting, but confusing until I went back and read the original post. I would favor moving the age to 19, and also changing the AHL limit to 19 so that drafted players can be placed where the drafting team prefers to see them. Moving it to 19 enhances Chowda's comments about letting the kids play as kids. It would also limit the actions of "Agents" and the impact of more money.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : What does Jared Knight playing in Canada or Providence have anything to do with the topic ? Earth To NAS this is a topic on raising the age for drafting players and why. Not where they play afterwards. Trying to twist the topic again . Not this time ! Maybe shupe ( Canadian ) can step in and set you straight on this . I apparently can't. The barrier is too thick.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

The conversation is pretty easy to follow.  You don't even have to remember it.  You can re-read it right here on Boston.com.

I'll help you.  PLEASE NOTE:  The following conversation has taken place on this very thread.  Some irrelevant sentences have been omitted for brevity, but have not been omitted in an attempt to put any spin on the conversation at hand.

Isla:  So the sole purpose of the change is to protect junior teams from losing players?

You:  The sole purpose of this idea is for development ( and not what you're inferring that junior teams are trying to protect their players from being moved ) of all players in all leagues ( college, Europe , high school, etc. ). This was emphatically stated by Bob Nicholson in the interview that I listened to.

Me:  No one in those leagues is interested in development.  They are interested in keeping their better/best players longer to make more money. 

You:  Bob Nicholson who has suggested this idea is President of Hockey Canada. He is not employed by the CHL. He has talked with other federations of hockey to see what they thought of this idea before bringing it forward to the NHL to see what they think.

If we were talking about someone  ( like CHL President Dave Branch ) who has direct connections to the CHL then I could see your point. But Nicholson doesn't.

Me:  What's more important to the President of this organization, Jared Knight's goal totals, or London's box office return?  Knight tearing it up will increase the box office.  Knight in Providence does nothing for Mr. Nicholson's organization. 

You:  It is for development of hockey in Canada and everywhere as he suggests. You have no idea what Nicholson's obligations are to the game of hockey in Canada.

Me:  How does Jared Knight playing in London as opposed to Providence enhance the overall Canadian hockey experience?

How does Jared Knight playing in Providence as a 19 year old opposed to London hurt his development?

You:  What does Jared Knight playing in Canada or Providence have anything to do with the topic ? Earth To NAS this is a topic on raising the age for drafting players and why. Not where they play afterwards.

Trying to twist the topic again . Not this time ! Maybe shupe ( Canadian ) can step in and set you straight on this . I apparently can't. The barrier is too thick.

--

I'm not exactly sure where you got lost, Chowda.  You seemed to follow along just fine until you realized that you were dead wrong.