Raise The Draft Age?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Raise The Draft Age?

In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age?:
    [QUOTE]"This is where it gets very gray as to how much this would help young players develop or develop more than if they could go to the AHL at 18." I keep seeing going to AHL on this thread .  Man, very frustrating for me to keep reading this. That's another topic on changing the age limit for going there. No mention of doing that in this article. Also add university and professional to the list of what Hockey Canada governs.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I don't see the source of your frustration.  The premise is raising the age at which NHL players can lay claim to exclusive negotiative rights for a player to preserve "development".  The core of this argument is half what is the best system for young players to develop in and half what is best for the development system as a whole - CHL, AHL, NCAA etc.  This isn't a question you can drop into a vaccuum.

Unversity yes, but how do they govern professional hockey?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : I don't see the source of your frustration. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

He's frustrated because he'd rather beat his own drum and try to twist facts and stories instead of just saying, "Oh.  I didn't think of that.  I'm wrong."  It's also frustrating to him that I won't let it go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Why don't you try supporting your assertions with some concrete facts instead of conjecture.  But you're entitled to your opinion, i guess. The fact that you don't think he's an NHL talent doesn't mean he's a bust.  And making claims that he's "been widely considered to be a bust" doesn't make it credible either. And when is a 3rd round pick ever considered a high value, special pick?  As a matter of fact, i remember seeing many here supporting a late round chance on him if PC had the pick.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Can you name a player from the 2010 draft class whose stock dropped more than Kabanov's throughout the course of the season? He was once considered a rival to Hall and Seguin to go 1st overall. I also didn't say he wasn't an NHL talent. I said he was a bust "considering where he was ranked as a teen". I look forward to you attempting to refute this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : He's frustrated because he'd rather beat his own drum and try to twist facts and stories instead of just saying, "Oh.  I didn't think of that.  I'm wrong."  It's also frustrating to him that I won't let it go.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

It's fustrating to alot of us that neither of you will let it go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : Can you name a player from the 2010 draft class whose stock dropped more than Kabanov's throughout the course of the season? He was once considered a rival to Hall and Seguin to go 1st overall. I also didn't say he wasn't an NHL talent. I said he was a bust "considering where he was ranked as a teen". I look forward to you attempting to refute this.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Being a bust usually consists of being drafted in the first round and after 4 years not making it to the NHL.

Neither has happened.  Nor do I think the latter has any chance of happening.

When was the last time you saw a 3rd round pick put up 20 points in 15 playoff games?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Being a bust "considering where he was as a teen" is being a player that was once ranked in the top 5 in the world that is now not considered by the Hockey News to be in the top 10 NYI prospects. Keep this up as long as you want. It won't turn Kabanov into a better player.
    BTW Bim, thanks for the clarity as to what I should consider a bust. I had no idea there were such exact parameters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : Being a bust usually consists of being drafted in the first round and after 4 years not making it to the NHL. Neither has happened.  Nor do I think the latter has any chance of happening. When was the last time you saw a 3rd round pick put up 20 points in 15 playoff games?
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Where's this riddle leading to? What's it got to do with the question at hand?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : And on that list is a large amount of people who benefit from the success of the CHL.  Of course, the success of the CHL is zero if it isn't profitable.  Of course, it isn't profitable if ticket sales are low.  Of course, ticket sales will be higher if they have better players. It all comes back to money.  If Bob Nicholson puts the leagues into the red with his decisions, he won't be back.

This shows you have no idea what Bob Nicholson does. Do you think Hockey Canada's decisions are soley for leagues that make money ?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : Who said he would benefit financially from it? Keep digging. And yes, if you think Nicholson is acting for the benefit of hockey and not money, you're a fool.

Whatever NAS . You are an expert on the topic after less then 12 hours of finding out who Nicholson and Hockey Canada are ?

Opinions like this are why half of the board hates you. You were oblivious to any of this on Friday but by Saturday night you knew-it-all. I bow down to your superior wiki knowledge on the topic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : I don't see the source of your frustration.  The premise is raising the age at which NHL players can lay claim to exclusive negotiative rights for a player to preserve "development".  The core of this argument is half what is the best system for young players to develop in and half what is best for the development system as a whole - CHL, AHL, NCAA etc.  This isn't a question you can drop into a vaccuum. Unversity yes, but how do they govern professional hockey?

The article states nothing about changing the age limit for junior aged players going to the AHL. Why must the AHL be considered in this discussion ? If Nicholson had talked about changing the AHL age I could see your point. He did not. A different topic for another day. This topic is in regards to raising the draft age to develop players in juniors not the AHL. Read the article !

And your last question ? I'm surprised at you for asking this. Ever hear of mens semi professional and professional leagues that have been in Canada.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : He's frustrated because he'd rather beat his own drum and try to twist facts and stories instead of just saying, "Oh.  I didn't think of that.  I'm wrong."  It's also frustrating to him that I won't let it go.

Actually I was being sarcastic to BB ( that's why he replied . )

Frustrated with you ? I'm actually enjoying this. I'm entertained every time I see you comment on Nicholson. Think about it . You had to go to wiki to find out about him and Hockey Canada. And now you know him inside out. Hee Hee !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : It's fustrating to alot of us that neither of you will let it go.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Actually it's a pretty tame discussion between the two of us on an interesting topic. He has only called me a fool and a joke a few times to get his point across.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chowdah, I don't care that the article says nothing about the NHL - why are we limited by the editorial decisions or questions the chose?  I look at the question of raising the draft age and I'm going to think about all of the implications, and I'm going to talk about them regardless of what the article says.  And as I wrote above, I think the question of what is the best path to develop a player for an NHL career - because they're talking about the NHL's draft - is implicit in the argument that keeping them in junior allows for more development.  Calling the two things different topics is a false distinction in my eyes.

And actually, the question re: professionals was a question - I'm not sure what Hockey Canada actually does for professional hockey, though, yes, I'm aware that the NHL - and frankly the AHL in Toronto, Hamilton etc. - isn't the only game in town. I'm guessing it's basically certification.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Chowdah, I don't care that the article says nothing about the NHL - why are we limited by the editorial decisions or questions the chose?  I look at the question of raising the draft age and I'm going to think about all of the implications, and I'm going to talk about them regardless of what the article says.  And as I wrote above, I think the question of what is the best path to develop a player for an NHL career - because they're talking about the NHL's draft - is implicit in the argument that keeping them in junior allows for more development.  Calling the two things different topics is a false distinction in my eyes. And actually, the question re: professionals was a question - I'm not sure what Hockey Canada actually does for professional hockey, though, yes, I'm aware that the NHL - and frankly the AHL in Toronto, Hamilton etc. - isn't the only game in town. I'm guessing it's basically certification.

I was strictly talking about the article . You may call it a false distinction . I call it staying on topic.

And it's great that you're thinking of all the implications of the article. I was too. Maybe it would have an effect on the age of going to the AHL. Or maybe not.

I was just trying to keep the discussion on the topic of the article which you-know-who was trying to change multiple times. He has a bad habit ( sorry bad hab ) of doing this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Actually, Chowdah, you were the one who swerved into talking about Bob Nicholson and the comments he made in a radio interview on the subject.  I went back looking for another link to another article, but the only one posted here only mentions Nicholson in passing.  The article Dez posted - King on the CHL - is all about how and why the CHL would support Nicholson's proposal.  Nicholson is never quoted.  The sources for all of the quotes are O, Q, and W GMs and officials talking about why they might support the measure.  If they don't mention more of the existing development system and agreements that keep players in the Junior ranks, it's probably because the current system works for them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Actually, Chowdah, you were the one who swerved into talking about Bob Nicholson and the comments he made in a radio interview on the subject.  I went back looking for another link to another article, but the only one posted here only mentions Nicholson in passing.  The article Dez posted - King on the CHL - is all about how and why the CHL would support Nicholson's proposal.  Nicholson is never quoted.  The sources for all of the quotes are O, Q, and W GMs and officials talking about why they might support the measure.  If they don't mention more of the existing development system and agreements that keep players in the Junior ranks, it's probably because the current system works for them.

Never swerved from anything . If you knew what the proposal was and what they were referring to you wouldn't be talking AHL. Sorry you or your buddy don't understand that BB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah I would.  Because I'm just responding to the article Dez posted and staying on topic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Yeah I would.  Because I'm just responding to the article Dez posted and staying on topic.

.... I missed the AHL part . Can you post it for me ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It really isn't that hard, Chowdah, its just not.  Dez asked us what we think of the article.  Some of us saw a parallel between the way the CHL GMs interviewed in the article spoke of the benefits of keeping their star players and the agreement between the NHL and the CHL regarding player age restrictions.  In other words, we looked at the broader context in which the NHL and the junior leagues manage that two or three year window where Jr. stars become NHL players. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raise The Draft Age? : Whatever NAS . You are an expert on the topic after less then 12 hours of finding out who Nicholson and Hockey Canada are ? Opinions like this are why half of the board hates you. You were oblivious to any of this on Friday but by Saturday night you knew-it-all. I bow down to your superior wiki knowledge on the topic.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

It's called business.  It doesn't matter what the President's name is or what color his socks are.  If he runs the business into the ground, he'll be replaced.  Feel free to point out what I've said about Bob Nicholson as a person.  I've commented on him as the President of the organ-EYE-zation.

Opinions like this are why you hate me because you can't dispute them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]It really isn't that hard, Chowdah, its just not.  Dez asked us what we think of the article.  Some of us saw a parallel between the way the CHL GMs interviewed in the article spoke of the benefits of keeping their star players and the agreement between the NHL and the CHL regarding player age restrictions.  In other words, we looked at the broader context in which the NHL and the junior leagues manage that two or three year window where Jr. stars become NHL players. 

Schooled.