Rarely Am I Critical of Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Rarely Am I Critical of Seguin

At about 19:15 of the first period, Seguin has the puck to the side of the net.  He makes a great pass to Marchand, who is between the circles.  And then he just stands there watching.  There is a good rebound and Seguin doesn't get to it first because he's still standing beside the net, watching the play.

That's poor, and not what any Bruins fan wants to see their potential future superstar doing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Rarely Am I Critical of Seguin

He's not been the same this year.

I was thinking that the Swiss experience might have crossed up his time because of the bigger ice and slower players.

I can think of a few plays, one each with Marchand, Kelly and Peverly where they were kind of 2 on 1 and didn't pass him the puck to him.  I wonderered about that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

He's playing soft and expecting the puck to just come to him rather than battling for it, I don't expect him to play Luke Lucic but I do expect more than we have seen this year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

He looks eerily similar to his rookie self.

I'm sure he'll turn it around though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

it is odd that he seemed to be really lighting it up in Switzerland and came back here and looks rough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I was thinking that the Swiss experience might have crossed up his time because of the bigger ice and slower players.

When I think of the Swiss league I don't think of slow players, Tyler wasn't playing with any. But to NASs point Seguin isn't going "no holds barred" after rebounds nor driving to the net.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Seguins has been fine so far this season, I saw the play NAS is talking about, 100% correct..But the other games he was flying and getting his chances. They'll come in bunches after he gets the first one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Weird game tonight, though. Bergeron and Krejci have been doing the same thing. A lot of watching going on for some reason. Maybe a team wide thing at the moment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'm feeling a little better after tonight's shootout... getting there!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Did you like his shootout goals, NAS?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

The shootout is lame.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I

Unfortunately, it's part of the NHL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I am also worried about Seguin he's got all the talent in the world he's got speed he's got a great shot..hopefully its just a matter of time before he gets his fair share of points .....hopefully cause I have him in my pool and because I predicted he would ger 60 points this season

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Seguin will be fine. Im not worried. Goal scoring can be hard to come by, even for the likes of the talented. Thats why Im not so concerned about Bourgue, or the Kelly, pevs line. It is what it is. Grind it out hockey and hope 1 of the 4 lines pitches in to get the win. I love stats more than anyone, but I think it clouds everyones judgement of a player. If everyone scored in games it would be 20-20. You play your position, play hard and hope you can cash in on an opportunity every now and then. Yes more production would be nice, but the B's are winning and really, thats all that matters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I'm not worried about Seguin, but I have been slightly dissapointed by his play.  I think he is not getting fully engaged in the battles.  I think he will figure it out, I hope he does so on his own.  He shouldn't need an outside source to spark him.  i.e. Benching, line demotion, or public criticism from CJ/PC/CN.  There is no doubt the kid has the talent.  I am fairly certain he has the IQ, it is only the battle that concerns me at this moment. 

I am not going over the top with this, I do think he will be fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

The shootout is lame.

grrrr,,grumble, b1tch & nag,,b1tch & nag....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

At about 19:15 of the first period, Seguin has the puck to the side of the net.  He makes a great pass to Marchand, who is between the circles.  And then he just stands there watching.  There is a good rebound and Seguin doesn't get to it first because he's still standing beside the net, watching the play.

That's poor, and not what any Bruins fan wants to see their potential future superstar doing.

I will not throw a poster to the lions. NAS is just making a comment, nothing wrong with that. The most important word in NAS post is "rarely." If NAS was making comment about Thornton it would of said " always." At least he is not going on about trading him cause Seguin is off his game.

I have faith that Julien took notice, and will make a constructive critizcism during practice.

Go Bruins!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Just re-iterating, Seguin has been playing soft and getting consistently beat on the wall. Not too worried but it's obvious at this point that he needs to play w/ more determination.

Loved the stare and chirp he gave the ref after his 2nd SO goal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wouldn't say he has in any way reminded me of his rookie self, but he has reminded me...(gag)...of Kessel at times.  He keeps trying to wind it up with speed and beat guys one on one,  then he gets choked off in the middle of the ice and takes a long wrister that either clangs off a shin pad, misses the net, or is gloved.  It's very frustrating to watch and I'm guessing it's even more frustrating to live.  I think he's doing it because the Bergeron line hasn't been clicking on their offensive zone passes - seems like a lot of their chances start out looking very much like last night's tying goal, but a key pass goes off target, gets tipped, or is too hot.  If you're Seguin, and you're coming off of a breakout year where you led the team in goals and scoring, plus you've signed a massive contract extension AND you had your game rolling in Switzerland, you're probably feelings some pressure to make something happen, so if the line isn't clicking, you start playing the selfish game.

On the flip side, though, I wish I was keeping a count of the number of times his sheer speed led to a blocked pass or an interception, particularly on the forecheck and on goalies playing the puck.  All he needs to do now is stop blindly chucking the puck into the slot once he gets it.  It will also help if his linemates follow him in a bit more closely so that when he does make the play, there's a Bruin in the slot to bang the puck home.  Mostly, though, I detest that rush to fire the puck in front - it's a 4th liner play, not a play by a guy who is brilliant and calm with the puck.

I'd also say that PP#1 looks better with him high on the left side.  Now they need him to start taking some shots.  He can score from there, especially if there's traffic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

The criticism is legit. Every single point that has been made can be brought back to one very simple issue. He is avoiding contact at all cost. He will literally get the puck off his stick asap if it means he thinks someone is about to get into his comfort zone. It's all born out of self defense. Shoot it, chip it, let it go by or make it appear that he got there just a split second to late. He is so incredibly skilled that he can actually make it look like he was make an all out effort. But,he intentionally takes the wrong route to accomplish it. Just stop on the puck once, or A frame along the wall ...PLEASE. It's a problem that I thought he was starting to overcome against the Caps last year, but he has gone backwards. I'm hoping CJ is aware and starts holding him accountable. This guy is way too talented and strong for this pattern to be allowed to continue. If he improves this part of his game... watch out because it will lead to his full offensive potential which is unlimited. Fingers crossed -

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Perhaps we should also take into account the fact that he is being targteted much more this year (due to him leading the B's in scoriing last year) than he ever has been. In a way this is good, as it frees up the Krecji line somewhat and they seem to be thriving.

Besides, who else on the B's is capable of scoring twice in the same shootout? lol.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

haven't been impressed with Seguin at all. He has looked lost out there the last 2 games

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I posted in the fall that I was worried the European style would set his development back.  Nobody seemed particularly concerned.  I think it did.  JWensink said it best...at the end of the Caps series I thought he was starting to get it.  Drive drive drive to the net.  Switzerland was a perimeter game.  Make plays, fly around people.  I think a player can get lazy playing that game, or at least forget what it takes to be successful here.  There's a reason that a lot of European players disappear in the playoffs.  That style simply doesn't work against good NHL teams. 

As for the argument that he's being targeted as an offensive threat.  So are Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Kopitar, Gaborik, and yes even Thronton.  They still produce.  Stamkos did it in his second year.  No more excuses. It's time to produce. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I wouldn't say he has in any way reminded me of his rookie self, but he has reminded me...(gag)...of Kessel at times.  He keeps trying to wind it up with speed and beat guys one on one,  then he gets choked off in the middle of the ice and takes a long wrister that either clangs off a shin pad, misses the net, or is gloved.  It's very frustrating to watch and I'm guessing it's even more frustrating to live.  I think he's doing it because the Bergeron line hasn't been clicking on their offensive zone passes - seems like a lot of their chances start out looking very much like last night's tying goal, but a key pass goes off target, gets tipped, or is too hot.  If you're Seguin, and you're coming off of a breakout year where you led the team in goals and scoring, plus you've signed a massive contract extension AND you had your game rolling in Switzerland, you're probably feelings some pressure to make something happen, so if the line isn't clicking, you start playing the selfish game.

On the flip side, though, I wish I was keeping a count of the number of times his sheer speed led to a blocked pass or an interception, particularly on the forecheck and on goalies playing the puck.  All he needs to do now is stop blindly chucking the puck into the slot once he gets it.  It will also help if his linemates follow him in a bit more closely so that when he does make the play, there's a Bruin in the slot to bang the puck home.  Mostly, though, I detest that rush to fire the puck in front - it's a 4th liner play, not a play by a guy who is brilliant and calm with the puck.

I'd also say that PP#1 looks better with him high on the left side.  Now they need him to start taking some shots.  He can score from there, especially if there's traffic.

It's the same with Peverly, dirves me up the walls. Especially if you're the first one to get into the zone, there's no traffic, no chance anyone will get to a rebound and it's way too easy for the goalies.  Holtby became a folk hero because of this.

I know we're only a few games into the season , while Shupe's concern is another solid D (always helps) I'm concerned with the wingers not being able to penetrate and shoot from the perimeters with teams that box you out (i.e. Caps in playoffs , Devils, and even the Habs). It won't happen now and whom do the Bruins trade to get another winger .

Sections
Shortcuts