Rask bashers. Compare to goalies you *might* have heard of.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Rask bashers. Compare to goalies you *might* have heard of.

So you're down on Tuukka?

Second full season in the NHL. 

I looked at some stats of some other goalies you might have heard of.

Altho given some of your posts you will have to google who these guys are.

In my humble opinion, their NHL careers were half way decent.

Martin Brodeur
    his 2nd season was his worst - ever - at 2.45 gaa until this year where's he's been lit up for 2.75

Patrick Roy
    His first season was his worst, his next 2 seasons not much better, then he improved and his career roller coastered from there.

Dominick Hasek
    Posted 3.15 in his second regular NHL season - the worst of his career by far - REALLY far.   2.83 was his worst season after that.

Ken Dryden
    3rd NHL season was the worst of his career at 2.69

Ryan Miller
    In his 2nd true full season - a season with more than 15 games  played.  2.73  - worst of his career.

Roberto Luongo
    His second season was his second worst at 2.73

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Rask bashers. Compare to goalies you *might* have heard of.

oh. 

forgot to mention that I consulted a friend with a degree in statistics. 

I won't bore you with all the advanced math involved, but there is a certain pattern in those stats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Good stats Bad. It will be unwise to bash Rask he is having a sophomore jinx. He will be fine and Thomas is having a stellar year. Plus if Rask started the season as Thomas did he would of been the same goalie as last year caliber. He will be our future goalie without rushing him. Thomas got off to good start and proven he can still be starter next year could be a differ story. But CJ should be wise and play Rask for back to back gms. Thomas will need the rest for next two months this is when hockey jumps up 100% it is the last hooray for teams making a play off run.
    So far what i see in the standings the Bruins are sitting OK and it is wise to make a decision to rest him for certain gms.Other teams do not have the choice to sit their starters but Bruins and other teams have that option.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

send RASK SEGUIN WHEELER TO TORONTO FOR KESSEL GIGUERE AND KARBALE BURKE WILL BITE FOR THIS PACKAGE ,RASK ISNT AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THING  WITH GIGGY WE COULD WIN THE STANLEY CUP AN HAVE KESSEL PLAYING WITH HORTON KESSEL BERGY CHARA AN KARBY ON DEFENCE . FIGURE IT OUT WE NEED 2 GOALIES THAT ARE THE BEST A STRONG DEFENCE AN KESSEL CAN PROVIDE UP WITH GOALS 30 PLUS A SEASON WORTH NOTHING WHAT WHEELER HAS SHOWED IN THE PAST

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

Kisssend RASK SEGUIN WHEELER TO TORONTO FOR KESSEL GIGUERE AND KARBALE BURKE WILL BITE FOR THIS PACKAGE ,RASK ISNT AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THING  WITH GIGGY WE COULD WIN THE STANLEY CUP AN HAVE KESSEL PLAYING WITH HORTON KESSEL BERGY CHARA AN KARBY ON DEFENCE . FIGURE IT OUT WE NEED 2 GOALIES THAT ARE THE BEST A STRONG DEFENCE AN KESSEL CAN PROVIDE UP WITH GOALS 30 PLUS A SEASON WORTH NOTHING WHAT WHEELER HAS SHOWED IN THE PAST

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Rask bashers. Compare to goalies you *might* have heard of.:
    [QUOTE]send RASK SEGUIN WHEELER TO TORONTO FOR KESSEL GIGUERE AND KARBALE BURKE WILL BITE FOR THIS PACKAGE ,RASK ISNT AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THING  WITH GIGGY WE COULD WIN THE STANLEY CUP AN HAVE KESSEL PLAYING WITH HORTON KESSEL BERGY CHARA AN KARBY ON DEFENCE . FIGURE IT OUT WE NEED 2 GOALIES THAT ARE THE BEST A STRONG DEFENCE AN KESSEL CAN PROVIDE UP WITH GOALS 30 PLUS A SEASON WORTH NOTHING WHAT WHEELER HAS SHOWED IN THE PAST
    Posted by anddebbv[/QUOTE]

even if you're yelling and posting it twice, it still doesn't make sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]send RASK SEGUIN WHEELER TO TORONTO FOR KESSEL GIGUERE AND KARBALE BURKE WILL BITE FOR THIS PACKAGE ,RASK ISNT AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THING  WITH GIGGY WE COULD WIN THE STANLEY CUP AN HAVE KESSEL PLAYING WITH HORTON KESSEL BERGY CHARA AN KARBY ON DEFENCE . FIGURE IT OUT WE NEED 2 GOALIES THAT ARE THE BEST A STRONG DEFENCE AN KESSEL CAN PROVIDE UP WITH GOALS 30 PLUS A SEASON WORTH NOTHING WHAT WHEELER HAS SHOWED IN THE PAST
    Posted by anddebbv[/QUOTE]

The sarcasm is too subtle.  It would be funny if you made it more obvious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Tim Thomas is having a unreal year.
    Tuuka has struggled a bit in limited playing time.
    With that said, I still believe Tuuka is the better goaltender.i've said it from Day 1 and still suscribe to that theory of mine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Rask will be fine. He hasn't been handled well this year & Thomas had a superb start but Rask is the future here & hopefully get back on track next season if the organization starts beleiving in him. 

His confidence is certainly down right now but as the coach CJ is only thinking in the present where the Bs front office have to start thinking more in the future as well as the present. The handling of Seguin & Rask this year will be questioned & should be questioned at the end of the year when it comes to CJ. Both Rask & Seguin have regressed as the season has wore on & that is very strange considering both guys level of talent. Speaks to there handling & coaching.

What I love about Rask though is he doesn't use excuses. He don't blame his pads or his cage, his defenseman, the condition of the ice like other goalies have been known to do. He has been accoutable for his play & that is certainly refreshing. He will get his confidence back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I believe Rask will be fine as well. What he needs is two real good starts in a row where he is just confident using his skill in both games. The starts shouldn't be two weeks apart either.

Crazy how the flip is this year as the Bruins defense was horrible in front of Thomas last season not much better in front of Tuukka this season. Ask yourself how would you like to be Wilson or Yzerman with their goalie situations ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You are all perfectly ok with basically throwing away hockey games and crucial points for a playoff spot to keep this Tuuka "experiment" as backup going?
    Ok, but I can tell you, whatever momentum the team builds with TT will get shot down the next time Tuuka starts...He is not capable of being a backup goalie, that is clear as day. You guys won't hold him accountable for this season, but I will definitely hold him accountable for his own downfall. He's the one who wasn't prepared in his first start of the season, he's the one who has often given up leads that his team gives him, and he's the one who gave up 2 goals on 2 shots to start a very important game v. Detroit......I hold Tuuka accountable for his own poor play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

5-12, 2.9 goals against average...yes, play him 2 in a row, that's a brilliant idea....I simply do not understand this lovefest for a goalie's potential over the goalie's actual performance...HE HAS ZERO CONFIDENCE...YOU CAN'T PLAY GOAL IN THE NHL WITH NO CONFIDENCE...HIS AT AN ALLTIME LOW...IT'S UP TO HIM TO ADJUST TO THE NHL AS A BACKUP RIGHT NOW...HE'S NOT ADJUSTING, HE'S GETTING WORSE...AT LEAST WITH ANOTHER GOALIE, THE TEAM CAN SEE IF SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY SPELL THOMAS, INSTEAD OF REPLACE A WIN WITH A LOSS....The team also has no confidence in him, and the team is going to lose its energy when they watch the starting goalie give up 2 goals in 2 shots...it's a downer, folks, a real, real downer. Team morale goes down when you don't have stellar goaltending.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

[QUOTE]I believe Rask will be fine as well. What he needs is two real good starts in a row where he is just confident using his skill in both games. The starts shouldn't be two weeks apart either. Crazy how the flip is this year as the Bruins defense was horrible in front of Thomas last season not much better in front of Tuukka this season. Ask yourself how would you like to be Wilson or Yzerman with their goalie situations ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

There is the problem. CJ has made him feel like just a back up goalie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good post BadHab. Have no idea who these so-called YELLERS are since their grasp of hockey is abviously less than none at this point.Any goalie, playing once in 8  or 10 games, will have reaction problems with eyes, hands, feet, whatever. Rask blew it early and came back to play quite well during period one. Then in two his team left him wide open as Boychuck and others totally lost coverage. Then Rask failed on a clearance and that was it. Claude indicated he had seen enough and let Timmy start the third. Why is still a question, but Claude does a lot of things that we all wonder at. Last year Claude sent Marchand down for most of the season, only an injury created the opening Marchand has grabbed. Claude has no clue on how to develop Seguin or any other truly young player. Kamfer had 4 years development at Michigan, and the added time shows in his game and stamina. Claude does not sit Ryder or REx or Thornton when they have been awful. WHY, it's anyone's guess. He is under a contract and Chiarelli plus Neely will have to evaluate his performance when it's necessary.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

Lol looks like the blind defenders were on Red Alert last night

So because Tukkaa has been absolutely dreadful this season the once "best goalie prospect in the world" has been the total opposite the Delaware North crew looks up stats to somehow justify it? wow...

How about some more relevant stats... Look up young Bruins goaltenders over the last 15-20 years and how Bruins management has ran them into the ground and destroyed their confidence

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Lol looks like the blind defenders were on Red Alert last night So because Tukkaa has been absolutely dreadful this season the once "best goalie prospect in the world" has been the total opposite the Delaware North crew looks up stats to somehow justify it? wow... How about some more relevant stats... Look up young Bruins goaltenders over the last 15-20 years and how Bruins management has ran them into the ground and destroyed their confidence
    Posted by 40YrsNoCup[/QUOTE]

Yes, how about a relevant fact, not a stat.  The management has changed in the last 5 years and Rask has been groomed and eased into the nhl.

If you had been paying attention there is a new gm and staff since Sinden and mini-me-Sinden MOC.

You're saying that somewhere in the Delaware North executive offices there is a mandate that says that they have to burn out goalies and only hire management that will do that?

And
    "looking up stats to justify it"
    Really?  You think that's what this post is about?
    You think this is about making up excuses?
    Is Rask a bust?  Answer YES - he MIGHT be, but this season DOES NOT PROVE THAT given that every elite goalie that I could think of followed a similar pattern.

How about YOU explain that every great and league leading goalie I could think of follows a similar career GAA average?

How about YOU find me ONE elite goalie who had NOT followed this pattern.  ONE?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BadHab, I agree with you that this season is not an indicator on Rask's future. And I've said many times in other threads, that you don't have to get rid of Rask. I suggested the possibility of getting a 3rd goalie and not forcing Rask into having to play his way in or out of the NHL. But, I don't like the idea that Rask is set as the only alternative to Thomas. It does not have to be that way. Stuart has been healthy scratched some 6 games straight...get a 3rd goalie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1NEFAN2. Show 1NEFAN2's posts

Good post badhab.  Have to agree can't give up on the kid because his play hasn't been nearly as good as last year. He wasn't sitting for 8, 10, or 12 days before starts.  TT has been great, so you go with the hot goaltender.  Some the greatest have had bad yrs were they traded.  Blame goes on the coach and the play infront of him as well.  Yes he needs to stop the puck, but last I looked hockey was a team game and that has not been provided to him in most of his starts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]BadHab, I agree with you that this season is not an indicator on Rask's future. And I've said many times in other threads, that you don't have to get rid of Rask. I suggested the possibility of getting a 3rd goalie and not forcing Rask into having to play his way in or out of the NHL. But, I don't like the idea that Rask is set as the only alternative to Thomas. It does not have to be that way. Stuart has been healthy scratched some 6 games straight...get a 3rd goalie.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

What I'd like to see them do is to get another prospect because you are right, there is no one else other than Rask.  I don't think anyone is available right now that's a legit backup more worthwhile than what Rask already is that could be of any help in the playoffs.

Put yourself  on the other side, if you could get Rask for relatively cheap you'd do the deal in a heartbeat.

The only hope for a 3rd goalie would be in the offseason.

Which backup would you rather have than Rask?   Just for instance you're looking at Brent Johnson -  Alex Auld?  Out of the whole list of them, I'd rather take my chances with Rask than any of the others. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

well, that is something that i disagree with you on..a backup. I don't know who they can get, just that they have to at least...attempt to use a 3rd goalie...The guy gets a 2 and done deal...He either performs well enough in a backup role, doesn't have to be showstopper, just hold on to a 4-3 lead or not cough up a bad goal when the team is struggling offensively. That mysterious 3rd goalie gets 2 shots to spell Thomas while Rask is healthy scratched for a good period of time to just practice and practice and work with the goalie coach. If the guy can win a game in Tim's absence, superb, if he wins 2...he gets the job as 2nd goalie. If he showstops and loses 1-0 or 2-1...he gets the 2nd goalie job this year. Tuuka can be healthy scratched the rest of the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The reasoning for not getting a 2nd goalie is poor, by the way. It's always that the standpoint of fans is "well, he's the only best option available." You have to think outside the box on this. And even Alex Auld did a heck of a job when he was that backup goalie a few years back. He certainly is far better than Rask this season. The B's have chosen to make Rask their only option. I say they can try something else. The time for waiting to see him get out of a season-long slump is over. No time for that. No more games wasted on Tuuka.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The reasoning for not getting a 2nd goalie is poor, by the way. It's always that the standpoint of fans is "well, he's the only best option available." You have to think outside the box on this. And even Alex Auld did a heck of a job when he was that backup goalie a few years back. He certainly is far better than Rask this season. The B's have chosen to make Rask their only option. I say they can try something else. The time for waiting to see him get out of a season-long slump is over. No time for that. No more games wasted on Tuuka.
    So I suppose Rask would've been unable to beat the Habs even though TT was only average(at best)?What's more important is having CJ do a better job picking his spots.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

disagree, deza...Rask is unable to beat anyone of late...doesn't matter what spot you put him in. It's enablers, like you and Pete Chiarelli, who put way too much faith in someone who isn't performing. Julien is certainly getting input from Peter on the goaltending usage. That's why Rask started the game after he was pulled by Claude a month ago. Look, if Tuuka wasn't so godawful, these threads would never happen, and we wouldn't be having this debate. But he is, and the B's are losing the games he starts...it's a fact that is lost on a lot of you here. It's costing the B's playoff positioning.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I've said for 3 months, play anyone but Rask as a backup to Thomas...Even as an experiment. There is going to be a point where it happens too. Why? Because you can only go so long with playing a backup who doesn't get the job done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]well, that is something that i disagree with you on..a backup. I don't know who they can get, just that they have to at least...attempt to use a 3rd goalie...The guy gets a 2 and done deal...He either performs well enough in a backup role, doesn't have to be showstopper, just hold on to a 4-3 lead or not cough up a bad goal when the team is struggling offensively. That mysterious 3rd goalie gets 2 shots to spell Thomas while Rask is healthy scratched for a good period of time to just practice and practice and work with the goalie coach. If the guy can win a game in Tim's absence, superb, if he wins 2...he gets the job as 2nd goalie. If he showstops and loses 1-0 or 2-1...he gets the 2nd goalie job this year. Tuuka can be healthy scratched the rest of the season.

I'm not following.  Why do that just for the sake of scratching Rask?  For the productivity you suggest, Rask delivers that now. He's 5 wins and 11 losses.  He's in practice all the time and is always a show for the optional skates.  He spends tons of time with the goalie coach.

Sections
Shortcuts