Rask for Parise?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Rask for Parise?

Looking for the general consensus. If you were GM, would you trade Rask for Parise, straight up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Re: Rask for Parise?

Not now. Maybe at the trade deadline...MAYBE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Well if Lou trades Parise for Rask, don't let him hang up before Elias for McQuaid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Yes, Parise for Rask would be a steal for Boston and won't happen. I wouldn't mind Rask and Krecji to Columbus for Carter and Mason. Carter almost came here for Timmay a while back. Carter is more prone to shoot than Krecji, and is grittier.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Rask for Parise?:
    [QUOTE] I wouldn't mind Rask and Krecji to Columbus for Carter and Mason. Carter almost came here for Timmay a while back. Carter is more prone to shoot than Krecji, and is grittier.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]

Both players would be a downgrade. Carter is like a taller, stronger Kessel with a less lethal shot and Mason is doing his best Raycroft impression. No thanks to this deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The only problem is if the B's trade Rask ...what do we do in 2 or 3 years from now if TT retires ...???

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Sure, why not - trade Parise for Rask.
    Then we can wheel Seguin for Jonathan Quick or Roberto Luongo?

That makes sense. If you don't like moving forward, you might as well move backwards as fast as you can!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Not as bad of an idea as some suggest.  Lets stop acting like every team in the league has a ten year plan in place for their goaltending.  We are lucky to have two really good to great goalies but with Timmy playing so great you have to at least entertain Rask proposals.  Sorry, but Tukka is not going to be a #2 goalie for the next three years no matter how good it makes the fan base feel.  At some point the Bruins management is going to have to make a decision and be fair to Rask -- either move on and make Rask a starter, or trade him to another team so he can move on with his career as a #1.  At this point, Thomas is making it way too hard to imagine him not as the starter and leader of this team.

The only way you let Rask watch is if he is getting guaranteed value in return.  I would say that Parise fits that criteria.  He would certainly make us a better team, Timmy is still our starting goalie for another couple of years and the Bruins have some time to figure out who steps up after that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Not as bad of an idea as some suggest.  Lets stop acting like every team in the league has a ten year plan in place for their goaltending.  We are lucky to have two really good to great goalies but with Timmy playing so great you have to at least entertain Rask proposals.  Sorry, but Tukka is not going to be a #2 goalie for the next three years no matter how good it makes the fan base feel.  At some point the Bruins management is going to have to make a decision and be fair to Rask -- either move on and make Rask a starter, or trade him to another team so he can move on with his career as a #1.  At this point, Thomas is making it way too hard to imagine him not as the starter and leader of this team. The only way you let Rask watch is if he is getting guaranteed value in return.  I would say that Parise fits that criteria.  He would certainly make us a better team, Timmy is still our starting goalie for another couple of years and the Bruins have some time to figure out who steps up after that
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]
    Yes it is! The B's are near the top of the league in overall scoring. Giving up depth for a goal scorer when we already have our future game breaker in Seguin. Then you get rid of Rask? Rask won't have to worry about sitting too long for much longer. TT will retire a Bruin, but he'll stay on as backup to Rask for few yrs before that happens. PC says Rask is the future & I believe him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Might as well throw in a couple #1's or a #1 and a legit prospect. Parise is a top 10 fwd in the NHL. Look at what Carter got for Philly: Voracek(#4 pick overall), the #8 pick in the draft(Couturier). Parise >>> Carter. Converstation for Parise BEGINS with Rask.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"We are lucky to have two really good to great goalies"

How are the Bruins lucky Chappy ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

How are they not lucky?  There is skill to drafting/trading for unproven players, but there is also a lot of luck.  We took a shot with Thomas when he was an underdog and now he's one of if not the best in the league.  We gave up on Raycroft and Hannu Toivonin (sorry not gonna look up the spelling) just before they became the latest flash in the pan busts -- and we ended up with Tukka who looks to be a future stud.  That sounds lucky to me.  Who are the other teams with two starting caliber goalies that would make this seem to have no luck involved.

The Penguins were lucky to draft Malkin-Crosby back to back years
    Ditto for Kane, Toews in Chicago

There are plenty of teams that have been bad for two straight years and did not come out of it with that kind of talent.

You can act like a genius and claim it was all strategy and quality scouting, or admit that there is no crystal ball and luck plays a role.  Hindsight is 20-20, so I'm gonna go with luck

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Parise?  Mr. 6-5-11 in 19 games coming off of a significant injury?  Nope.  If Parise gets his 40 goal form back, he's a bulldog, but again, there's no way to tell how many more net wins the Bruins get by upgrading their wings.  He'd be nice to have, but not as nice as a Rask-quality netminder if the 37 yr old franchise goalie goes down with an injury.  If Thomas goes down and the Bruins rely on Khudobin or Marty Turco, it won't matter how many extra goals Parise scores.

Lucky that Manny Fernandez didn't play well enough for PC to want to justify his investment.  Lucky that other teams didn't pick TT off waivers.  Lucky that TT was able to evolve his game, settle down a bit, and become what he is today.  Lucky John Ferguson Jr. was ever the GM of the Laffs.

But mostly, as I said when I said the Bruins got lucky to have so many second round picks in a very short window become top 4 forwards on this team - when you have no history of doing something right by reason and decision-making, then suddenly things go right without much indication that you've changed your thinking or your process?  You got lucky.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Parise for Rask would be a steal for Boston and won't happen. I wouldn't mind Rask and Krecji to Columbus for Carter and Mason. Carter almost came here for Timmay a while back. Carter is more prone to shoot than Krecji, and is grittier.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]

Are you insane??  Mason has proven himself to be at best an AHL goalie for the past two years.  He's awful so far this year.  Worst goalie in the league.  He's been replaced by Curtis Sanford and may well be done in the NHL.  Couldn't hold Tuukka's jock.

Carter has been a disappointment too this year.  Not nearly as big of a disappointment as he was last year trying to play head-to-head against Krejci in the playoffs.  One guy is a streaky underachiever who plays bad in the playoffs and the other led the entire league in playoff scoring last year.

Horrible, awful trade for the Bruins there.  I would be waiting for Chiarelli in his driveway with a tire iron in my hand...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

So far we have traded our back up goalie straight up for Nash and Parise. At this point I would hold off all talks and see if I can get Crosby and malkin for Timmy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]Well if Lou trades Parise for Rask, don't let him hang up before Elias for McQuaid.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

lol!

Anyways, Parise is a sensational player. It will take him a bit to regain his form, but I highly suspect him to become a premier forward in the NHL once again. I doubt he's leaving the NJD though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]So far we have traded our back up goalie straight up for Nash and Parise. At this point I would hold off all talks and see if I can get Crosby and malkin for Timmy.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

And then maybe we can throw in Caron or Hamill just to make it even.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Seems like a needless trade to me. Parise is a UFA at the end of the year . Why trade away a valuable goalie for someone who the Bruins can try and sign in the offseason ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]Seems like a needless trade to me. Parise is a UFA at the end of the year . Why trade away a valuable goalie for someone who the Bruins can try and sign in the offseason ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

yeah, this is probably the best point one can make. The only possibility woul dbe the Bruins to trade for the rights to exclusively negotiate with Parise before he becomes a UFA. If that was the case, the could would be much lower than an elite prospect like Rask.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Rask for Parise?:[QUOTE]How are they not lucky?  You can act like a genius and claim it was all strategy and quality scouting, or admit that there is no crystal ball and luck plays a role.  Hindsight is 20-20, so I'm gonna go with luck Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

So Jeff Gorton suddenly jumped up from the draft table and suggested to John Ferguson Jr. that Toronto take an already proven NHL goalie (rookie of the year whom was drafted with luck no scouting) and the Bruins will take an unproven European project whose never played in North America without any scouting ?

And Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Thomas were ignored by other scouts and GMs because they didn't think that these prospects would make their organizations LUCKY.

Oh ok now I got it thanks :shakehead:

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The most important question that noone is considering is, does Rask want to stay?

Would I like Parise on this current B's team and have him ride shotgun for Seguin for the next 5-7 years? Hells yes! Do I like having Tuukka as our 1c goaltender? You get another "Hells yes!" from the congregation. Point: I say 1c because that whole 1/1a cliche doesnt quite work here as Timmy is absolutely the starter and a much finer goaltender at this stage of the game. But...

What everyone is missing here is this. What does Tuukka want? Does he want to be a starting goaltender today? Wait for it.. wait for it.. Hells yes!
    I know he is a restricted free agent at the end of the year, but in order for the Bruins to retain his rights, they have to be willing to give him a contract that would make it prohibitive for other teams to make him an offer sheet.  According to this years collective bargaining agreement the compensation for a contract offer of over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434 is MERELY a 2nd round pick. Absolutely a steal for a goaltender of Rasks ability. Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150 is a 1st and a 3rd. Still worth it for Rask? Maybe, for a team in desperate need of a goalie.
    So the HUGE question is, does Rask want to stay and sign a contract BEFORE he becomes a RFA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]"We are lucky to have two really good to great goalies" How are the Bruins lucky Chappy ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Because Toronto took the dull Rayzor anwrew raycroft in exchange tor tuukka

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The most important question that noone is considering is, does Rask want to stay? Would I like Parise on this current B's team and have him ride shotgun for Seguin for the next 5-7 years? Hells yes! Do I like having Tuukka as our 1c goaltender? You get another "Hells yes!" from the congregation. Point: I say 1c because that whole 1/1a cliche doesnt quite work here as Timmy is absolutely the starter and a much finer goaltender at this stage of the game. But... What everyone is missing here is this. What does Tuukka want? Does he want to be a starting goaltender today? Wait for it.. wait for it.. Hells yes! I know he is a restricted free agent at the end of the year, but in order for the Bruins to retain his rights, they have to be willing to give him a contract that would make it prohibitive for other teams to make him an offer sheet.  According to this years collective bargaining agreement the compensation for a contract offer of over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434 is MERELY a 2nd round pick. Absolutely a steal for a goaltender of Rasks ability. Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150 is a 1st and a 3rd. Still worth it for Rask? Maybe, for a team in desperate need of a goalie. So the HUGE question is, does Rask want to stay and sign a contract BEFORE he becomes a RFA.
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]
    Boston can (and would) match any reasonable offer sheet if Rask were to sign one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Bruins would match most offers for Rask.  They'd risk manage for year with two goalies for $10M, then make a decision in 2013-14 when Thomas will be 40.  And trading for Parise without a deal in place to make him a Bruin for those 5-7 years, a deal likely to be at least as much as it would cost to match an offer to Rask, is foolish because the Bruins would not have a right match to keep him.

Ah, the luck debate.  Here's what I can tell you Dog: the Bruins hadn't made a smart goaltender scouting decision in 20 years or more, so I have no faith that they saw something in Rask that central scouting didn't when Rask was talked about as the best goalie outside the NHL at the time of the trade.  Raycroft came back from the lockout and followed up his RotY campaign with not just a sub-900 s%, but a sub-880%.  Right now, there are only 9 goalies in the entire league with lower s% than he finished that year.

So how was this lucky?  Remember why Ferguson traded Rask?  They had WJHC star Justin Pogge in the system.  They though he was better.  They managed to get Rask for a goalie with numbers worthy of a tryout agreement at best because the GM of the Leafs thought Justin Pogge would be better.  You can't claim skill is the sole reason you were able to take advantage of such stupidity.

As for the draft, look at every player the Bruins drafted in the second round between 1971 and 2002 - in those 31 years the Bruins drafted two players who had any kind of real career - Mark Howe and Josef Stumpel.  You could expand to Ben Clymer, who never played in Boston, and Andy Hilbert, who never really cracked the Boston lineup.  Then look from 2003-2006: Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic.  3 significant players in 4 years.  In terms of points, all three are ahead of every past 2nd rounder by the Bruins except Howe (who never played a game for Boston of course) and Stumpel (who couldn't carry any of these three's jock).  Marty McFly would have trouble doing better than that.

Good scouting would account for some of it, but that is out of this world, and if those scouts were out of this world, you should be very unhappy that Chiarelli cleaned house.  But before we go too far, isn't it also well known that the Bruins saw Bergeron for the first time when they were looking at someone else?  So it was a total fluke they got onto him?  Wasn't Lucic much the same story?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice post Book!  Parenthethically, Raycroft was the benefactor of the clutch and grab era so evident before the lockout. He simply could not handle shots from the point.  The new rules simply did not help his game.  BTW it would be Biff who had a handle on who to draft.  Ha.  Cheers