Rask/Krug/State of B's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Rask/Krug/State of B's

nite, more consistent doesn’t necessarily mean better, especially in a championship context.  If Rask has a .932 save percentage overall, meaning he’ll save 15 out of every 16 shots, then “consistent” would mean he sticks pretty close to that ratio all the time and not making 78 saves out of 80 over a few games and then giving up 5 in a 32 shot game the next night.  Consistency is great when a guy is consistent at the level Rask is consistent at, but you can’t beat a guy who can string together that 202 out of 210 in a playoff series, even if there are times when he’s correspondingly below his usual average.  Thomas was that guy, and the Tampa series in 2011 is a good illustration with Thomas giving up 3+ on several occasions, but then shutting the door in game 7 when it counted, and then playing very well against Vancouver even if they lost his best games and won his weaker efforts.  I don’t think they would have lost those two games against Chicago where weird, late goals burned them.  I think Thomas was at his best on the unusual bounce, the strange shot, and would have stopped both the Oduya goal off of Ference, probably the Bolland goal that opened up off a strange carom, and maybe he’d have managed to out-duel Crawford in that goofy, anomalous 6-5 game.

But maybe they wouldn’t have gotten here without the way Rask played up to that point, especially against the Penguins who seemed to know how to take advantage of Thomas’s style.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Rask is a top notch NHL goal tender and Krug is one of the best offensive defensemen in the league. Will there be an occasional crappy game? Probably, but the two of them bring way more pluses to the rink than minuses. The focus on these two makes little sense to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

nite, more consistent doesn’t necessarily mean better, especially in a championship context.  If Rask has a .932 save percentage overall, meaning he’ll save 15 out of every 16 shots, then “consistent” would mean he sticks pretty close to that ratio all the time and not making 78 saves out of 80 over a few games and then giving up 5 in a 32 shot game the next night.  Consistency is great when a guy is consistent at the level Rask is consistent at, but you can’t beat a guy who can string together that 202 out of 210 in a playoff series, even if there are times when he’s correspondingly below his usual average.  Thomas was that guy, and the Tampa series in 2011 is a good illustration with Thomas giving up 3+ on several occasions, but then shutting the door in game 7 when it counted, and then playing very well against Vancouver even if they lost his best games and won his weaker efforts.  I don’t think they would have lost those two games against Chicago where weird, late goals burned them.  I think Thomas was at his best on the unusual bounce, the strange shot, and would have stopped both the Oduya goal off of Ference, probably the Bolland goal that opened up off a strange carom, and maybe he’d have managed to out-duel Crawford in that goofy, anomalous 6-5 game.

But maybe they wouldn’t have gotten here without the way Rask played up to that point, especially against the Penguins who seemed to know how to take advantage of Thomas’s style.

[/QUOTE]

I know the the measuring stick of what shows consistency for goaltending book. But, this past week has shown that Rask is just as easy to have 3 rough outings in row as TT is. Rask has never won 8 in a row, Rask has never had back to back shut-outs in his career. TT has won 8 in a row & has had 4 sets of back to back. So, I guess it just depends on how one wants to define consistency. Personally I think BOTH goalies have shown different avenue's on what consistency is & one isn't/wasn't necessarily more consistent than they other. They're both equal in that regard & that's what my whole beef is about the comment. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2 goals in 4 games against that Penguins roster is right up there with Thomas' performance against the Canucks. I'd give Thomas the edge, but just slightly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pittsburgh did figure out Thomas but TT figured out Tampa and Vancouver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Style of play probably in some ways shows Rask's consistency, but I want to make it clear since I started this thread, and I made the Thomas comment, that Tim Thomas still is the best goalie in B's history...period. Until Rask's wins a Cup, or 2, or a few Vezinas, I agree that TT has an edge on Tuuka and deservedly so. So far, TT is still the guy I want (well the one who was at the top of his game in 2011). Also Cheevers has also shown to be a better "clutch" goalie in terms of the biggest games of the season. My only criticism of Rask, and maybe he doesn't deserve it, is that in the two biggest games of his life, he gave up the B's lead in a 7th (Flyers choke) and 6th game (Hawks choke). I will put his Pittsburgh series, however, as the greatest one round performance ever by a B's goalie. His play v. Toronto at Toronto was some of the best goaltending I've ever seen as well--complete defensive collapses with Rask making spectacular save after save. Rask has something to prove to everyone--including himself. Can he be that Cup goalie who makes the impossible saves that allow the team that last victory. Thomas did it, Cheevers did it (albeit with an amazing cast of great players, and not a 7th game as far as Cup victory). I don't care if it's a 4-game sweep either, just that he be the goalie raising the Cup. He's certainly capable and I'm damn glad he is the B's goalie. I take him over Ryan Miller. The two guys I feel are in his class are Quick and Mr. Lundqvist.