Rask: What if.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Rask: What if.......

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

Just so we are clear on rask.  Hes never started more then 45 gms.  He has 66w 45l.  He blew and is on record for blowing a 3-0 lead.  Hes had one amazing playoff run.  Why is he worth more then 5 million.  Someone, anyone make me understand.  

I will try.

He has the best gaa and save% of any goalie since 2008-09, has lead his team to the 6th game of the stanley cup finals (something very few current starters have been capable of doing), and could well have won the Conn Smythe if the B's had prevailed.

His max worth I should think is Pekka Rinne money....that said, I would not give him anything over $6.5 million if it were my decision.

[/QUOTE]

Wait a second.  Rask hasnt even come close to putting up rinne numbers.  Its not even fair to compare them.  As i have pointed out.  Rask has never played more then 45 games in one season.  He had a good year but not off the charts.  Go look at rinnes numbers compare to rask.  Its not close.  Prices numbers on a terrible team have been outstanding.  Mike Smith has done more in my eyes then rask.  Two playoff runs.  Flip a coin bc one was awesome and one couldnt be worse on a resume.   I would give him Smith numbers in money and not a penny more.  i think the system is set in boston that they could make any goalie look good.  Yes i think this when TT was starting as well.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

His numbers (gaa and save%)have been better than Rinne's overall since 2008-09 and he took his team deep into the playoffs, something Rinne has not been able to do, or Price for that matter. Seems pretty fair...though, you are correct tthat Rinne has played more games overall...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

His numbers (gaa and save%)have been better than Rinne's overall since 2008-09 and he took his team deep into the playoffs, something Rinne has not been able to do, or Price for that matter. Seems pretty fair...though, you are correct tthat Rinne has played more games overall...

Rask has been a starter by default.  Had TT played this year he likely starts half the games.  that gaa save percent means nothing on a trial basis.  Hes won 66 games in 128 starts.  Never played a full season.  

I will ask it again.  Why is he worth this money?   He took a stanley cup roster to the finals.  Boston vs Nashville or coyotes lineup.  Cmon.  I dont think rinne is worth that money but he sure as heck earned it.  Rask hasnt even come close to earning that kinda pay day.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Whether he has earned it or not, that is probably what he is going to get......whether in Boston or somewhere else.  PC is facing this reality and will need to make a decision like he did when he decided to give Lucic $ 6million per year. This is they way of things, for better or worse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

There is no way rask gets 6 million from another team in my eyes.  Who offers him this huge deal?   Who are we bidding against.  Calgary?   Sure.  Let them finish last and enjoy their 1st rounders.  I would love this scenario.  

Rask has not put up the numbers over a period of time that suggest he is the best in the league.  In this shortened season this team finished 4th.  He had a great playoff run on a loaded team with chara on the ice for 30 mins a gm.  

I wont be shocked when he gets it but smith numbers is what id compare to.  Not rinne.   not price.  He doesnt deserve it.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Whether he has earned it or not, that is probably what he is going to get......whether in Boston or somewhere else.  PC is facing this reality and will need to make a decision like he did when he decided to give Lucic $ 6million per year. This is they way of things, for better or worse.

Its not though.  I realize this is a pill im gonna have to jam down my throat.  But where are the numbers to suggest he has earned that kinda payday.  What team is gonna offer this.  Hes not ufa.  Hes an rfa.  Offer him 5.5 next year with an increase.  Hes started 45 gms once in his career and choked in round one.  Hes never had anywhere close to a full season in any of the other yrs.  if rask is worth that crawford deinitely is.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Crawford will be a ufa after next year.  Get ready for an 8 million dollar goalie.  yes sarcasm.  But really folks.  crawford is making 2.66 next year.  His win lose are really good, he just won the cup after a 19-5 season with an amazing save%.  

If rask had this resume i might be able to justify it to some degree.  I simply think its a huge mistake and gamble.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OntarioBs. Show OntarioBs's posts

We will sign Rask, this week, (before FA) and we will over  pay, ,...the following year , Cap will increase and it will seem ok,.....he was solid,...but, I hope it is not too long a term,........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Its not though.  I realize this is a pill im gonna have to jam down my throat.  But where are the numbers to suggest he has earned that kinda payday.  What team is gonna offer this.  Hes not ufa.  Hes an rfa.  Offer him 5.5 next year with an increase.  Hes started 45 gms once in his career and choked in round one.  Hes never had anywhere close to a full season in any of the other yrs.  if rask is worth that crawford deinitely is.   

Its not really about "earning " it at all but availability. I could see Calgary, Philly, Edmonton, Columbus (if Bob does not sign), and Col all considering an offer sheet. There is always a crazy gm out there willing to take a risk to get a top 10 goalie.

Seldom do nhl players get paid what they should.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Its not really about "earning " it at all but availability. I could see Calgary, Philly, Edmonton, Columbus (if Bob does not sign), and Col all considering an offer sheet. There is always a crazy gm out there willing to take a risk to get a top 10 goalie.

Seldom do nhl players get paid what they should.....

[/QUOTE]

Philly is over the cap. Not gonna happen.  Bobs going back.  Cal-edm-col bring on their high end lottery draft picks.  

Not trying to argue. More like im venting the fact that i have yet to see a goalie get a monster payday that has worked out very well outside of quick who won the cup and was amazing again this year.   Crawford is gonna get one heck of a raise.  He has a 83-43 w/l record compared to 66/45 of rask.  Crawford has been a steady starter for 3 yrs.  has a cup.  

Nhl goalies are all overpaid.  my biggest complaint about this is that hes an rfa.  We hold leverage.  Make him play for less next year.  How is this situation any different then pk subban.  We praised bergevin for being savy and holding a strong line yet we are gonna throw top dollar to a goalie that hasnt played one full year, has a huge choke job and one good run.   6 plus million and most are ok with this?   im on record as saying bad idea.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Philly is over the cap. Not gonna happen.  Bobs going back.  Cal-edm-col bring on their high end lottery draft picks.  

Not trying to argue. More like im venting the fact that i have yet to see a goalie get a monster payday that has worked out very well outside of quick who won the cup and was amazing again this year.   Crawford is gonna get one heck of a raise.  He has a 83-43 w/l record compared to 66/45 of rask.  Crawford has been a steady starter for 3 yrs.  has a cup.  

Nhl goalies are all overpaid.  my biggest complaint about this is that hes an rfa.  We hold leverage.  Make him play for less next year.  How is this situation any different then pk subban.  We praised bergevin for being savy and holding a strong line yet we are gonna throw top dollar to a goalie that hasnt played one full year, has a huge choke job and one good run.   6 plus million and most are ok with this?   im on record as saying bad idea.  

I do agree with you in that they are crazily overpaid and it is just getting worse (what lockout?). No doubt about it. However, there is always going to be one crazy gm out there. We will find out soon enough.

As I mentioned before, not one dollar over $6 million for Rask in my eyes (although I can see PC going as high as $7 million unfortunately). I think they are waiting to see what Bob gets....just a hunch. The Vezina winner will set the bench mark so pray for a moderate deal for him.

By the way, never doubt the will of Holmgren to make a splash. Technically, he has until September to get under the cap so there is still time for him to go nuts....lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

it's not all about numbers. watch the goalie play. I agree that he shouldn't get rinne money, but he is a top 5 goaltender in the league, and will be paid like it. I personally think 5 years 27.5 million is fair, but he'll probably get 6/36. 

He didn't choke, or blow it in 2010, the team did. The team was already destroyed by injuries and once krejci went down it was donezo. If you put that on rask you weren't watching or have a bias. 

As for Thomas, had he not retired Rask would have started the same number of games, Thomas would not have been on the roster this year regardless of retiring or not. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just so we are clear on rask.  Hes never started more then 45 gms.  He has 66w 45l.  He blew and is on record for blowing a 3-0 lead.  Hes had one amazing playoff run.  Why is he worth more then 5 million.  Someone, anyone make me understand.  

He's appeared in 138 games and has record numbers in that time. Is Price worth it in Montreal? You better get ready to complain for awhile because there is no way he signs for 5.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but didnt start that many.  He has never played more then 45.  If we are paying him a boat load bc of this year i wont be happy.  Im with you on over payment of goalies. They simply dont deserve that money.  

I would say price has earned it more then rask.  I dont think rask would be as good in another system.  Again. Not trying to dump on him but he is not worth it.  The fact hes an rfa should mean he agrees to a fair deal.   

[/QUOTE]
    And I would say you're off your rocker! Rask value has sky rocketed to another stratashere compared to Price. He's regressed if anything! If he was worth Rask value there's no reason he shouldn't have been able to get his team past the Senators! He was garbage! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Dez, you really are hanging onto this TT hatred a little too much. 

[/QUOTE]

Why, because I also give credit for the Cup to his teammates and not blindly worship him because he won a vote?

[/QUOTE]

No, because no matter what facts are thrown at you you refuse to face them. TT was an elite goalie in the NHL & his numbers and accomplishments back that up. Nobody is saying his teammates didn't help. Every goalie needs the help. Even Quick did. He didn't score the 6 goals for the Kings in 2012 in game 6 against the Devils. Sometimes you just need to accept things that you don't want to. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Dez, you really are hanging onto this TT hatred a little too much. 

[/QUOTE]

Why, because I also give credit for the Cup to his teammates and not blindly worship him because he won a vote?

[/QUOTE]

No, because no matter what facts are thrown at you you refuse to face them. TT was an elite goalie in the NHL & his numbers and accomplishments back that up. Nobody is saying his teammates didn't help. Every goalie needs the help. Even Quick did. He didn't score the 6 goals for the Kings in 2012 in game 6 against the Devils. Sometimes you just need to accept things that you don't want to. 

[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you're talking about but I have to admit I'm not fluent in crazy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Am I missing something here? What has Price ever done? Rask will get similar $ and deservedly so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

Am I missing something here? What has Price ever done? Rask will get similar $ and deservedly so.

I think that may be the disconnect here: these salaries aren't based on what the player has done so much as what they are expected to do.  If GMs expect Rask to put up a top-of-the-League goaltending performance year after year, he will get money in accordance with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

This team needs Rask, but not at an all cost. I wish for a 5yr/6m term, but I know it could go as high as 7/7 & I've accepted it, because they have an elite goalie who they can win with.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

$5.6M per for Bobrovsky, though only two years.  He has about 1000 fewer total minutes of NHL regular season experience than Rask, just compressed into three seasons.  I don't see any way Rask gets less than that.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

$5.6M per for Bobrovsky, though only two years.  He has about 1000 fewer total minutes of NHL regular season experience than Rask, just compressed into three seasons.  I don't see any way Rask gets less than that.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

I don't either, i imagine $6 mil or more a year for 6 yrs, just a guess but Tuukka will get his money. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

That's what I keep wondering too! Price has declined imo. He isn't anywhere near what Rask is at this junture. Price has won 1 series in his career. Rask has won 4 & has been at least considered for a Vezina & a Conn Smythe. Price isn't even close!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Lundqvist ring a bell? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He's appeared in 138 games and has record numbers in that time. Is Price worth it in Montreal? You better get ready to complain for awhile because there is no way he signs for 5.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but didnt start that many.  He has never played more then 45.  If we are paying him a boat load bc of this year i wont be happy.  Im with you on over payment of goalies. They simply dont deserve that money.  

I would say price has earned it more then rask.  I dont think rask would be as good in another system.  Again. Not trying to dump on him but he is not worth it.  The fact hes an rfa should mean he agrees to a fair deal.   

[/QUOTE]
    And I would say you're off your rocker! Rask value has sky rocketed to another stratashere compared to Price. He's regressed if anything! If he was worth Rask value there's no reason he shouldn't have been able to get his team past the Senators! He was garbage! 

[/QUOTE]

Why?  Bc of a good playoff run?   Is it based on stellar work for just one full year?  No!   He has never in his nhl career played a full season as the starter.  His win loss is well very avg.  rask has done nothing to earn a huge payday.  Ive sat here and stated big deals for goalies are brutal.  For the one example you gave to possibly one of the best goalies over an extended period of time i can name numerous other terrible deals.  If rask played in montreal we would be laughing at this deal.  We thought it was great that pk was shown the rfa reality and took less.  Why are we ok with this deal for an rfa.  We are tight on cash.  Im ok with 5 million per next year.   Give him a raise after that year.  

Rask has never played a full year. Ever!    His playoff history has one great run, one terrible run.   Crawford must be loving this.  His record makes rask look like hes played for the islanders or oilers over the last 3-4 seasons.  

Im not ok with a mega deal for a goalie who has only ever played 45 gms in one year.  Thats likely a low for gms played for henrik.  Ive seen numerous terrible goalie contracts and im the one off my rocker? If he were a ufa in waiting i still wouldnt shell that kinda cash out.  Good lord look what happened with bryz.   Fleury, loungo, price, dipetro, etc etc.  

i realize hes gonna get north of 6m.  I just think its completely lol.  For one full year of 45 games, one lock out year and a great run hes gonna make 6m plus.   As an rfa.  With a 66-45 record in 128 starts.  Really?   When he wasnt even the starter last year or in 2011.   

Again, im not trying to bash rask bc i think hes a darn good goalie...i just see no logic to paying this guy that much next year when pc has the upperhand and based on what he has done in his career.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Latest rumors are that Rask has earned himself a loooong contract, as well as an expensive one. Takes you-know-whats to ink a goalie for more than 4 years in my opinion. Something's gotta give and the $7M x 8 years floated out there is way too much in my opinion. I'd offer three choices of $7M for 3 years, $6M for 5 years, $5M for 8 years if it were me. But it's not up to me, so what do I know?

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC

Hearing that Rask extension -- although not done yet -- will be in the 8 year/$56M range.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Latest rumors are that Rask has earned himself a loooong contract, as well as an expensive one. Takes you-know-whats to ink a goalie for more than 4 years in my opinion. Something's gotta give and the $7M x 8 years floated out there is way too much in my opinion. I'd offer three choices of $7M for 3 years, $6M for 5 years, $5M for 8 years if it were me. But it's not up to me, so what do I know?

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC

Hearing that Rask extension -- although not done yet -- will be in the 8 year/$56M range.

Yikes...that's Letang-type money!!!