Rask will choke. Face it, the guy is no Tim Thomas.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Rask will choke. Face it, the guy is no Tim Thomas.

jerry, yes, and the record will also show TT has his name on the 11 Stanley Cup champion team. But your statement is incorrect. Being "more capable" of winning and not winning the title as a starting goalie are two different things. Some great pitchers may have been more capable than Tim Wakefield in the 2003 ALCS, but he pitched his team to 2 wins, not Pedro, not Lowe that year, more capable pitchers. Crawford is despite his faults, a Stanley Cup winning goalie.

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i could go back to 2009 when the B's lost to Carolina and the things that were said about TT. he flops to much,off balance,lousy with his angles,can't win the big one etc etc. any reasonable person can see that Rask is more than capable of being a Stanley Cup champion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I don't know, and dez will vehemently disagree with me, but I did think Thomas was at his all-time best when there were a few minutes to go or the team down a man in a pressure cooker situation to win a game holding a 1-goal lead. It may have been his best attribute. He willed himself to not give up the big goal. However, from a statistical standpoint, no question that Rask is right up there with having an overall terrific playoff record in terms of save percentage and GAVG over a 22-game playoff. If push came to shove, I still would pick Thomas in a big game over Rask. Is it fair? Up to the fan/critic.

I don't disagree with your take Danny because you're not speaking in absolutes. It is your preference who you'd take. As I showed, Thomas lost the 3 close games in the final and won 4 blowouts. It is what it is. It just seems like a cop out that Rask can be blamed while having improved on TT's numbers. If the Bruins scored 4+ each game this year they would've won.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Well look at the garbage being spewed here by a lot of people! To think Rask was out of position on the game winner is just ridiculous! The puck went to the point, he has to come out to the top of the crease. Jonny Boychuk let Bolland stand there. He should've literially did a quarterback sack & got Bolland out of there. Take the penalty in that instance PERIOD! 

2nd point. Yes any goalie would want Toews goal back, but 5 hole goals along the ice are the ones that are bad. Those are the ones that you have your stick there for. The shot that Toews took last nite is just as good as picking top corner at the post & bar. Yes it looks bad, because it looks like it goes thru the goalie. That isn't the case. It misses the goalie all together. The shot was above the stick blade and in that tiny triangle between both pads. It takes less time to reach a glove up then it does to drop down. It was a perfectly placed shot & not a bad goal, as bad as it looks. I've helped out a lot of goalies that I've coached who would get down on themselves after a goal like that. I would literially show them how it's just a perfectly placed shot.

Not easy when you have detractors so willing to put blame on Rask & say he's not TT like! Who gives a flying FAWK! He was Tuuka Rask & he was outstanding. Didn't make big saves at crucial times!!!? What about Lupul in OT in game 7!? What about the 4 games in against the Pens? Won a triple OT game against the most offensive talented team ON THE PLANET! To those that say they don't blame Rask then go on say this kief? How contradicting can you fawking be! To anyone who under value's TT performance? Bottom line is the stats don't lie, but 2 Vezina's, a Conn Smythe and 29 wins in the play-offs with 16 of them coming in 1 season. Which is how many it takes to help make your team a champion! 

So I think everyone should stop this bickering & be happy we had Thomas & happy we have Rask for yrs to come! Stop comparing the 2, let Rask be Rask & he'll be great & let Thomas be.....whateverthefawk he's trying to be!

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I don't know, and dez will vehemently disagree with me, but I did think Thomas was at his all-time best when there were a few minutes to go or the team down a man in a pressure cooker situation to win a game holding a 1-goal lead. It may have been his best attribute. He willed himself to not give up the big goal. However, from a statistical standpoint, no question that Rask is right up there with having an overall terrific playoff record in terms of save percentage and GAVG over a 22-game playoff. If push came to shove, I still would pick Thomas in a big game over Rask. Is it fair? Up to the fan/critic.

Some would say the last goal he gave up as a Bruin was kind of big.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

[QUOTE]

Some would say the last goal he gave up as a Bruin was kind of big.

[/QUOTE]

Some would say that Knuble could've been called for goalie interfence too! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

jerry, yes, and the record will also show TT has his name on the 11 Stanley Cup champion team. But your statement is incorrect. Being "more capable" of winning and not winning the title as a starting goalie are two different things. Some great pitchers may have been more capable than Tim Wakefield in the 2003 ALCS, but he pitched his team to 2 wins, not Pedro, not Lowe that year, more capable pitchers. Crawford is despite his faults, a Stanley Cup winning goalie.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i could go back to 2009 when the B's lost to Carolina and the things that were said about TT. he flops to much,off balance,lousy with his angles,can't win the big one etc etc. any reasonable person can see that Rask is more than capable of being a Stanley Cup champion.

[/QUOTE]

oh brother. how can i argue such logic. since i can't tell you that Rask will win a Stanley Cup,i guess your right. geez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Danny,

by the way,if you want to get technical,the name Tuuka Rask does appear on the Stanley Cup.

"the world is full of crashing bores"-Morrissey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think one of the saddest and most insane things on this board is that we could be spoiled with two Vezina caliber goalies in a three year span (which any other team would kill for), and people are such utter malcontents that they have to b*tch, complain, and pit them against each other to tear one guy down.

They were both great!  Record setting numbers from both guys!  Goaltending is the last thing we could complain about as Bruin fans.  

Shut up if you're complaining about either guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Some would say that Knuble could've been called for goalie interfence too! 

I'm not getting into a TT vs Rask debate because they are/were both great goalies who helped the Bruins win hockey games.  I was just pointing out how stupid it was saying TT didn't give up big goals.  Every great goalie who has ever played the game gave up big goals.  They (the ones who blame this loss on Rask) only remember TT for what he did vs Vancouver in 2011.  Eight goals in seven games was very impressive.  They seem to forget about losing vs the Canes in '09 and the Caps in '12.

I think Rask's two goals in an entire series vs Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, etc. was even more impressive than what TT did vs the Canucks.  Like Dez keeps saying, the 2011 Bruins scored a boatload of goals in the four wins vs the Canucks.  If the Bruins had scored 5 last night, we'd be talking about tomorrow's game 7.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, with that said both are human too.  Both made mistakes.  Thomas may have been more dramatic and inspirational in his run, but the Bruins offense also blew the Canucks away.  Rask had no such luxury -- it doesn't make him worse.

Both guys were great.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I don't disagree with your take Danny because you're not speaking in absolutes. It is your preference who you'd take. As I showed, Thomas lost the 3 close games in the final and won 4 blowouts. It is what it is. It just seems like a cop out that Rask can be blamed while having improved on TT's numbers. If the Bruins scored 4+ each game this year they would've won.

That means nothing.  Rask is missing that extra gear during "crunch time" which was his point, and mine.  Rask is basically the equivalent of the baseball player who is hitting .300+/30+ HR, but is .250 with RISP, 2-15 with the bases loaded, and is an auto-out every time he comes up in the bottom of the 9th with a chance to win the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

I think Thomas had a much better final series than Rask,but think Rask had a better overall perf,but no way Thomas would have let Chicago score the late goals last night,not a chance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I think Rask's two goals in an entire series vs Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, etc. was even more impressive than what TT did vs the Canucks.  Like Dez keeps saying, the 2011 Bruins scored a boatload of goals in the four wins vs the Canucks.  If the Bruins had scored 5 last night, we'd be talking about tomorrow's game 7.

Rask had more goal support overall in the playoffs this year than Timmy did in 2011.  So I just think that proves the opposite of your point.  If Bruins scored all those goals in the finals to help timmy coast to a SC, what does that say about the goal support he had in the first three rounds?  Not much.  Obviously they needed Timmy to carry them through the first 3 rounds just to get to the finals.

Seems like the opposite for Rask, got to coast through the first 3 rounds thanks to great goal support, and then the one round they needed him to pick up the slack for a slumping offense, he choked, per usual.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to abra-cadaver's comment:

[QUOTE]

That means nothing.  Rask is missing that extra gear during "crunch time" which was his point, and mine.  Rask is basically the equivalent of the baseball player who is hitting .300+/30+ HR, but is .250 with RISP, 2-15 with the bases loaded, and is an auto-out every time he comes up in the bottom of the 9th with a chance to win the game.

[/QUOTE]

Baseball anologies mean nothing here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope, he's like an ace pitcher who loses because he got no run support. Please feel free to point out the wins that were due to Thomas in the Finals. He won 4 blowouts and lost all 3 close games. Just like Rask (or any goalie for that matter ), he lost the games in which he got no offensive support. Those are facts. The rest is pure conjecture. The Thomas you claim to be an "auto win" won less than 30 career playoff games. Explain how that happens to an auto winner please. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Rask had more goal support overall in the playoffs this year than Timmy did in 2011.  So I just think that proves the opposite of your point.  If Bruins scored all those goals in the finals to help timmy coast to a SC, what does that say about the goal support he had in the first three rounds?  Not much.  Obviously they needed Timmy to carry them through the first 3 rounds just to get to the finals.

Seems like the opposite for Rask, got to coast through the first 3 rounds thanks to great goal support, and then the one round they needed him to pick up the slack for a slumping offense, he choked, per usual.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, keep ignoring that Rask bested tt's record numbers. Maybe if we all ignore it then it won't be true. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Yeah, with that said both are human too.  Both made mistakes.  Thomas may have been more dramatic and inspirational in his run, but the Bruins offense also blew the Canucks away.  Rask had no such luxury -- it doesn't make him worse.

Both guys were great.

Perfectly said, end of discussion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Bruins scored 3.24 goals per game in 2011 compared to 2.99 this year but don't let facts get in your way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Bruins scored 3.24 goals per game in 2011 compared to 2.99 this year but don't let facts get in your way.

Dez is right.  I can't imagine why anyone would complain about Thomas, who was great, but the notion that he had some "clutch gear" that Rask didn't have, is silly. 

Even closer than the Cup final against Vancouver in 2011, was the semi final against Tampa.  Thomas gave up 5 goals in 4 saperate games in that series.  It almost sank the ship.  The Bruins won the same way they won the final -- by providing the offense needed.  Do you think that if Rask gave up 5 goals four seperate times vs. Pittsburgh the Bruins would have even made the finals?  He was clutch.

Thomas was fantastic.  Rask was fantastic.  This whole "clutch" thing is a joke.  Stick to baseball.  Or at least acknowledge the facts in front of you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Back this up.  Show the numbers. 

And compare to 2011, if that's your argument.

Let's see it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Danny,

by the way,if you want to get technical,the name Tuuka Rask does appear on the Stanley Cup.

as a starter, no

"the world is full of crashing bores"-Morrissey

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I still am a huge fan of Tuuks, and Thomas essentially quit on the Bruins after 12, so from this point forward, Rask is the face of the B's goaltending future. Regardless, he still was a participant in two of the most historic collapes in NHL Playoff history--Game 7, Philly up 3-0 after 1 period, and up 2-1 with 2 minutes to go, and loses in regulation time v. Chicago in Game 6 of Finals. It's a stigma I know that Rask is not going to let bother him, but I can tell you in  my experience as a media member, he will be scrutinized until he wins the Stanley Cup as a starter. Fair or not, for some it can break you as an athlete, or ultimately in a city like Boston can eat you alive. If you don't think columns and radio clowns will continue this in later seasons, think again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

On a luck factor scale, Rask could be called the most unluckiest goalie out there. Still, 6 goals allowed (1 his fault maybe) in a game B's scored 5, and then the 2-1 lead lost in regulation, it's hard to swallow. Defensive breakdowns were beyond horrific. Makes you wonder why Lucic, Krecji, and Horton were even allowed on the ice in the last 1:30 minutes in a 2-1 lead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Rask has no cup, no conn and that pretty much ends the argument for me.  Rask has done exactly what loungo has done.  Lose in the finals.  A 4 gm sweep had just as much to do about the team as it did rask.  I dont think he stole a game in that series.  Pitt was outmatched.  Rask also had the advantage of playing on a team with experience and knowing what it takes to win.  In the finals rask was good, not great.  I dont blame rask at all.  But until he puts a cup over his head he isnt above tt.  You can stat all you want.  TT is a stanley cup champion, a vezina winner and playoff mvp.  i thought crawford was the better goalie.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Rask has no cup, no conn and that pretty much ends the argument for me.  Rask has done exactly what loungo has done.  Lose in the finals.  A 4 gm sweep had just as much to do about the team as it did rask.  I dont think he stole a game in that series.  Pitt was outmatched.  Rask also had the advantage of playing on a team with experience and knowing what it takes to win.  In the finals rask was good, not great.  I dont blame rask at all.  But until he puts a cup over his head he isnt above tt.  You can stat all you want.  TT is a stanley cup champion, a vezina winner and playoff mvp.  i thought crawford was the better goalie.  

Blah blah blah. Rask did better stopping pucks than TT did yet he was handicapped by his team's lack of scoring. Pick whoever you'd like but the numbers don't lie. Rask would've been the runaway winner of the Conn Smythe if his team could've scored for him. Let's keep putting TT and his 29 career playoff wins on a pedestal though. It only took him 9 years to get there after all. Which Finals games was he the difference by the way? Was it the 8-1 win or the 5-2 win? Perhaps he was the reason they won the other 2 games while only managing to score 4 in each.

Sections
Shortcuts