Rask will choke. Face it, the guy is no Tim Thomas.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Rask will choke. Face it, the guy is no Tim Thomas.

Crawford will choke before Rask

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickvox. Show nickvox's posts

I love Tuuka and he was solid and great in these playoffs....but for the Bruins to win with what they have talent-wise and overall you need that extra oompph and last line of defense to push you over the top.  Tuuka did his job and was very businesslike but damn, I'll take Timmy in those last two minutes in that situation nine times out of ten every game 6.  Break down the goals any way you like, Timmy woulda kept one of them out.  Sorry Boston Globe posting police dudes...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

That 'spark' that TT had was called 'constantly being out of position and having to do backflips to make otherwise fairly easy saves'.

Not saying TT didnt deserve anything hes gotten, im a huge fan of his.  But people are FAR too sentimental when he gets brought up.  There is no 'inner TT' rask has to bring out.  Rask should stick to playing his game.

He is a solid goalie. 

Great post Davey. Common sense seems to elude many of the TT lovers. Easy for them to forget that the Bruins scored over 21 goals in the 4 wins in the Finals. I can just look at the scores and see he wasn't the difference maker in any of those games. I do distinctly remember TT being behind the goal line when Van scored in OT. I also remember TT being barely able to stop a beach ball to open the playoffs against Montreal. They had to come back and win that series in spite of TT's poor performance in the 1st two games. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a more over rated goalie in NHL history than Thomas.

2 V's a Conn and a SCR ya he overrated Dez ya he was bad against Vanvouver he allowed a goal in game 1,2 in regulation in game 2 game 5 , 1 goal and 0 in game 7 I don't care what anybody on the board says he is not an overrated goalie. In elimination games his GA is pretty good. No I haven't and never played goalie but my eyes are pretty good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I will never forget the best goaltending performance ever by TT.  Rask played like an elite goalie.  I hope they get him locked up.  I wasnt sold on him at the beginning of the year.  But im happy he will be our goalie for yrs to come.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Rask didn't choke this series, and Thomas place in B's history is secured I guess. It's very hard to win the Cup. Bottom line, in the 2 most important starts of his life, game 7 v. Philly he held a 3-goal lead and lost 4-3, and tonight he had a 2-1 lead with 1-1/2 minute left and the B's defense collapsed in front of him, and he gave up 2 goals to lose the Cup. It's not fair to blame Rask, but then it was never fair to blame Welker for a drop, or Buckner for an error. Sometimes you have to make the impossible stop. Thomas did that, all the time. Rask did it pretty much all the way through the playoffs, but he struggled a bit in a game 7 v. Toronto and he was terrible in that Phily game 7, and now he is the losing goalie in a game his team led 2-1 with 2 minutes left. It's hard to swallow. Rask is one of the best goalies in the NHL, and I don't think any B's goalie, Thomas included, played better than he did v. Pittsburgh--shut down goaltending extraordinaire. Bounces seemed to always find a way to get in v. Rask this series, rebounds that weren't happened were not only pounced on but knocked in. It's going to be a tough off-season for Tuuka as most TT faithful will say he couldn't win the big one. Not fair, but it's so far true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I will never forget the best goaltending performance ever by TT.  Rask played like an elite goalie.  I hope they get him locked up.  I wasnt sold on him at the beginning of the year.  But im happy he will be our goalie for yrs to come.  

Me to Shupe 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Rask didn't choke this series, and Thomas place in B's history is secured I guess. It's very hard to win the Cup. Bottom line, in the 2 most important starts of his life, game 7 v. Philly he held a 3-goal lead and lost 4-3, and tonight he had a 2-1 lead with 1-1/2 minute left and the B's defense collapsed in front of him, and he gave up 2 goals to lose the Cup. It's not fair to blame Rask, but then it was never fair to blame Welker for a drop, or Buckner for an error. Sometimes you have to make the impossible stop. Thomas did that, all the time. Rask did it pretty much all the way through the playoffs, but he struggled a bit in a game 7 v. Toronto and he was terrible in that Phily game 7, and now he is the losing goalie in a game his team led 2-1 with 2 minutes left. It's hard to swallow. Rask is one of the best goalies in the NHL, and I don't think any B's goalie, Thomas included, played better than he did v. Pittsburgh--shut down goaltending extraordinaire. Bounces seemed to always find a way to get in v. Rask this series, rebounds that weren't happened were not only pounced on but knocked in. It's going to be a tough off-season for Tuuka as most TT faithful will say he couldn't win the big one. Not fair, but it's so far true.

All good points were all still in shock? I am NOT blaming Tuukka he's a great goalie but I am not blind to the fact either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickvox. Show nickvox's posts

Agree with these last couple of posters.  Just think for the B's to win the cup they need that kind of goaltending it's almost what their system depends on.  With their system and GREAT goaltending beyond businesslike, just beyond... they win.  With the standard system goalie dont know, thought Tuuks was geat but gave up too much from the blueline and rebounds.  Change the system to score more or try to find that special goalie again...who might be once in a lifetime. Most likely they'll try to score more who knows...I'm depressed about the loss thought the goaltending was good NOT great.  Def not cup worthy, but then again look at Crawford????  but we dont have a team like that depthwise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

TT got the bounces, Rask didn't.  I won't try to compare the two, especially in a post mortem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

TT got the bounces, Rask didn't.  I won't try to compare the two, especially in a post mortem.

TT got the bounces. you ain't kidding and so true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The blame we all know squarely goes on the B's entire team collapsing in that final 66 seconds, so if it came off that I'm calling Rask a choke artist, that's not my intention. Tim Thomas showed exactly why he was the Conn Smythe in 11, and Rask in some respects did everything he was supposed to do, but not enough spectacular or key stops when it counted in the finals series. He was good, not great, and as nickvox pointed out, for the B's to win, he had to be Thomas great in a 6th or 7th game. It's frustrating because it again seemed like any bounce in front would get on a Hawks stick and in before any Bruin even attempted to move, including Tuuka, who seemed helpless on the final 2 goals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Yes and yes, Danny. Good post. Rask is a good goalie, but hasn't displayed that clutch factor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

That 'spark' that TT had was called 'constantly being out of position and having to do backflips to make otherwise fairly easy saves'.

Not saying TT didnt deserve anything hes gotten, im a huge fan of his.  But people are FAR too sentimental when he gets brought up.  There is no 'inner TT' rask has to bring out.  Rask should stick to playing his game.

He is a solid goalie. 

Great post Davey. Common sense seems to elude many of the TT lovers. Easy for them to forget that the Bruins scored over 21 goals in the 4 wins in the Finals. I can just look at the scores and see he wasn't the difference maker in any of those games. I do distinctly remember TT being behind the goal line when Van scored in OT. I also remember TT being barely able to stop a beach ball to open the playoffs against Montreal. They had to come back and win that series in spite of TT's poor performance in the 1st two games. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a more over rated goalie in NHL history than Thomas.

2 V's a Conn and a SCR ya he overrated Dez ya he was bad against Vanvouver he allowed a goal in game 1,2 in regulation in game 2 game 5 , 1 goal and 0 in game 7 I don't care what anybody on the board says he is not an overrated goalie. In elimination games his GA is pretty good. No I haven't and never played goalie but my eyes are pretty good.

Is he Hall of Fame caliber? Number retiring caliber? The guy won 29 career playoff games and some of you act like he's a God. Yes, that's over rated. For the record, you'll never find a post where I say he wasn't fantastic in 2011. He just wasn't otherworldly, as many of you like to suggest. Rask just lost and still finished with better numbers than TT, who had the benefit of a team that scored more than 4 per game in his wins in the finals. I get that you guys all love him but the stats are there for all to see. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Dez, I like Tuukka but TT made great saves and bailed his D out at times. I want TUUKKA signed to be the bruins goalie for 5 years or even longer. The only stat that matters is #16 at the end. They hade a great year stats says one thing my eyes tell me different. I RESPECT WHAT U HAVE TO SAY Dez believe me you know your stuff i just disagree with it. I don't blame tuukka for this. The tying goal was a graet pass that bickell put in. The third goal hit off the post and bolan popped in. The first goal i am sure he would have liked to have back. Only a dink would blame Rask. See Dez we can have great debates and still be hockey friends.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

excuse the spelling on great and had lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, I like Tuukka but TT made great saves and bailed his D out at times. I want TUUKKA signed to be the bruins goalie for 5 years or even longer. The only stat that matters is #16 at the end. They hade a great year stats says one thing my eyes tell me different. I RESPECT WHAT U HAVE TO SAY Dez believe me you know your stuff i just disagree with it. I don't blame tuukka for this. The tying goal was a graet pass that bickell put in. The third goal hit off the post and bolan popped in. The first goal i am sure he would have liked to have back. Only a dink would blame Rask. See Dez we can have great debates and still be hockey friends.

You're blaming Rask for his team's failure to score if the 16 wins is all that matters. He just finished with the same SP as Thomas (.940) and a better GAA (1.86). Expecting him to win when his team wasn't scoring is unrealistic and unfair. Again, TT was fantastic in 2011 but also benefitted from a potent offense during the final. The numbers suggest Rask could've easily won with the same scoring support. You and I don't need to agree on this Stinkm, I still respect your opinion regardless.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

You're blaming Rask for his team's failure to score if the 16 wins is all that matters. He just finished with the same SP as Thomas (.940) and a better GAA (1.86). Expecting him to win when his team wasn't scoring is unrealistic and unfair. Again, TT was fantastic in 2011 but also benefitted from a potent offense during the final. The numbers suggest Rask could've easily won with the same scoring support. You and I don't need to agree on this Stinkm, I still respect your opinion regardless.    

I hear ya Dez me as well. the only regret i had was not scoring on one of those 4 PP. They came close a break here or there it might have been a different out come.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ultimately, your track record is what defines you as a great goalie. Again, it's not fair but Rask has been a losing goalie in two of the most collosal breakdowns in NHL history--game 7 v. Philly, up 3-0 after one period, lose 4-3...and last night's 2-1 lead with a minute to go and lose in regulation, 3-2. It's not fair to shoulder blame, but it's up for debate always when you compare a Stanley Cup winning goalie to one that wasn't. This whole series, unfortunately, Crawford wasn't great, but he did make some fantastic saves in crunch time. Rask faced crunch time and bad bounces and B's d-men breakdowns contributed to some untimely goals. But untimely goals can be prevented by the impossible save as I call them. The ones that winning teams make. The ones that champions get. I think Rask didn't do that in this series. He was penetrable if he was crashed on. On the winning goal, and I know it took a perfect hop back to Bolland, but Rask was way outside the crease (ironically a Thomas style play). He was so far out in front that it allowed for an easy tap-in. He's usually inside the crease, and most of his big saves occurred with his usual style of staying squared and cradling initial shots. Tons of rebounds happened in his last 2 games at the TD Garden. It was ridiculous how the B's d-men couldn't do a thing, or the forwards who looked lost out there. Plenty of blame to go around, but Rask is your last stop. This doesn't take away that he's easily still one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL. And that he won't win a Cup in the future as a starter. It's now that he has a reputation for NOT WINNING big games, or losing leads in big games. He has to go the next level, and I hope it drives him to finish the job as a premier goalie.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jf19told_ya_so. Show jf19told_ya_so's posts

Told ya so.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Rask proved exactly why he is not the elite goalie goalie most of you think he is in this series.  You can't say many bad things about Rask in these playoffs, he has been consistently solid for the most part.  He will make most of the saves he is supposed to, but he is not and never has been a goalie that will give you the big timely saves in close games, and generally plays his worst at "crunch time".  Not an attribute you want in a starting goalie, especially on a defense first low-scoring team who is not going to win games consistently with their offense.  He has been blowing 3rd period leads all season long, this is nothing new.  And you all know what happened in the 2010 playoffs. 

Rask for the most part is a reflection of the team in front of him.  When the team plays a solid defensive game, he is going win and put up good numbers.  When the team has an off night (like game 4), Rask is going to get exposed for 6 goals against.  The overall stats are smoke and mirrors. 

A 3rd period lead with Timmy in net was an auto-win.  I can tell you one thing, Timmy would of made that save with 1:16 left last night, and he would of took advantage of the chance to steal game 4, a game they didn't deserve to win, but still could of easily with just a timely save or two.  That is was elite goalies/winners do.  Rask is not that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to abra-cadaver's comment:

Rask proved exactly why he is not the elite goalie goalie most of you think he is in this series.  You can't say many bad things about Rask in these playoffs, he has been consistently solid for the most part.  He will make most of the saves he is supposed to, but he is not and never has been a goalie that will give you the big timely saves in close games, and generally plays his worst at "crunch time".  Not an attribute you want in a starting goalie, especially on a defense first low-scoring team who is not going to win games consistently with their offense.  He has been blowing 3rd period leads all season long, this is nothing new.  And you all know what happened in the 2010 playoffs. 

Rask for the most part is a reflection of the team in front of him.  When the team plays a solid defensive game, he is going win and put up good numbers.  When the team has an off night (like game 4), Rask is going to get exposed for 6 goals against.  The overall stats are smoke and mirrors. 

A 3rd period lead with Timmy in net was an auto-win.  I can tell you one thing, Timmy would of made that save with 1:16 left last night, and he would of took advantage of the chance to steal game 4, a game they didn't deserve to win, but still could of easily with just a timely save or two.  That is was elite goalies/winners do.  Rask is not that.

Blah blah blah about what Thomas would've done. Save your day dreams for your therapist. Fact- Rask just finished with better numbers than Thomas. Fact-Thomas never stole a single game in the Finals with the scores in the wins being 8-1, 4-0, 5-2, 4-0. Sure Thomas is an auto win. That would explain why he's won less than 30 playoff games in his career.  What a stud. Watch out Brodeur and Hasek. Thomas is on your heels. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Blah blah blah about what Thomas would've done. Save your day dreams for your therapist. Fact- Rask just finished with better numbers than Thomas. Fact-Thomas never stole a single game in the Finals with the scores in the wins being 8-1, 4-0, 5-2, 4-0. Sure Thomas is an auto win. That would explain why he's won less than 30 playoff games in his career.  What a stud. Watch out Brodeur and Hasek. Thomas is on your heels. 

good one Dez !   oh well,poor lousy unclutch Tuuka,washed up at 26.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

Jerry, I just can't believe how many Thomas fans there are who refuse to look at the numbers. Rask just out did TT's playoff numbers but didn't get the goal support that Thomas did. Those are irrefutable facts yet here I still am, arguing with people about what happened in their imagination. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

Jerry, I just can't believe how many Thomas fans there are who refuse to look at the numbers. Rask just out did TT's playoff numbers but didn't get the goal support that Thomas did. Those are irrefutable facts yet here I still am, arguing with people about what happened in their imagination. 

i could go back to 2009 when the B's lost to Carolina and the things that were said about TT. he flops to much,off balance,lousy with his angles,can't win the big one etc etc. any reasonable person can see that Rask is more than capable of being a Stanley Cup champion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't know, and dez will vehemently disagree with me, but I did think Thomas was at his all-time best when there were a few minutes to go or the team down a man in a pressure cooker situation to win a game holding a 1-goal lead. It may have been his best attribute. He willed himself to not give up the big goal. However, from a statistical standpoint, no question that Rask is right up there with having an overall terrific playoff record in terms of save percentage and GAVG over a 22-game playoff. If push came to shove, I still would pick Thomas in a big game over Rask. Is it fair? Up to the fan/critic.

Sections
Shortcuts