Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

If the Bruins win Cup or make it back to the Finals they will in all likelihood not trade Thomas.   Too much bad PR if they were to move him along with the risk that he goes some where else and wins.  

However I for one think that would be a mistake because if they don't trade him I find it highly unlikely he would be re-signed because I think the Bruins would move to Tuuka, Khodoubin, or others option before resigning Thomas to another 2-3 years at $5M plus.  

Let's face it there isn't a lot of history of success for 40+ year old goalies in this league.  Look how old Roloson got this year one year removed from a great run to the Confernce Finals by TB. (note not comparing Thomas to Roloson in skill set just how quickly good skills can go bad with age)

The Bruins are in a unique position where they have the core of their team signed to long term deals, they are relatively young, they have a potential long term 1-2 punch in goal with Rask and Khodobubin and they have some strong prospects in the likes of Hamilton, Spooner, Knight and Kokochelv waiting in the wings.  

If someone were to offer a 1st round pick for Thomas or something equivalent why not do this?  Hell the Avalanche gave up a 1st and 2nd for Seymon Varlamov. Thomas is gotta be worth more than Varlamov even if he is much older. 

Trading Thomas would give the Bruins even more assets for the future and after all isn't it always about being in contention for the cup for many years to come vs one more good run with any player Thomas or otherwise?  

There is risk in keeping Thomas and there is risk in trading him.  These risks are probably close to equal. However if you turn the equation towards long term upside of keeping Thomas or trading him, the long term potential upside is much greater in my opinion.

Thomas is a 2 time Vezina and a Con-Smythe and Stanley Cup goalie but even this year he has shown signs of getting old?  Will another long cup run this year and getting another year older improve his skills?  I doubt it.  I'd rather inject more youth into the franchise by trading him and going with Rask and Khudobin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

Goaltending depth...what a great problem to have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Rask = injured and no history of consistent success

Khudobin = seven NHL games.

No + No = Thomas stays

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Nothing lasts forever. Neither does TT or most other current Bruins for that matter. The time will come when players will need to move on for the future health of the club. If there is an excellent offer for Thomas come July 1st then PC will obviously determine if it is time to cut him loose. That is the nature of the business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How many more threads can we have on this subject?

If Thomas is traded it's not becasue their is a goalie better than him in the system.

Rask + Khudobin = Neither are even close to being as good as TT.

Lets talk about this after July 1. Though we just might be talking about how awesome TT is and how he won another cup. He does that, I don't care if they sign him to a 10 year deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Or if the b's like Khudobin...
    Thomas + Khudobin = see ya later Rask. 
    What would Rask, a RFA return via trade?  This peaks my interest. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas:
    Rask = injured and no history of consistent success Khudobin = seven NHL games. No + No = Thomas stays
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

How many 40+ year old starting goalies have backed their team to a Stanley Cup? ZERO since you like ZEROs so much. 

And no don't say Dominick Hasek because he was the 43 year old back up to Osgood when the Wings won the Cup in 2008 and he only played in the 1st round series against Nashville and was pulled for Osgood who went the rest of the way. 

Khudobin is a good prospect who has gone through a long NHL level development process and Rask lead the league in goals against and save percentage two years ago and is considered by many in NHL circles to be a true number one.

I'll agree that Rask hasn't ever done it in the playoffs but he also hasn't been in the league for 15 years has is?   Rask isn't injury prone as you suggest either. 

Rask had his first major injury of his career this year and he is going to be out what a total of 6 weeks. Where is all this injury history you speak of? What his minor arthoscopic knee surgery to remove cartilage two years ago after the season ended? How many games did he miss that year because of that injury? Oh that's right your favorite number again ZERO.

Khudobin I'll agree is an unknown with upside but to call Rask an injury prone player who hasn't shown anything at the NHL level and is doomed to fail is ridiculous.  

Like I said there is a risk in trading Thomas but again since you like ZEROs so much how many 40+ year old stanley cup winning goalies have their been? ZERO!  

I'd rather trade Thomas, take the risk and get assets that can help the team win future Cups than do what you suggest happens, keep Thomas in hopes he becomes the first 40+ year old starting goalie in the 95+ history of NHL to win a Stanley Cup.  History suggests your plan is doomed to fail.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

Or if the b's like Khudobin... Thomas + Khudobin = see ya later Rask.  What would Rask, a RFA return via trade?  This peaks my interest. 
    Posted by scooter244

Another option I'd consider.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : How many 40+ year old starting goalies have backed their team to a Stanley Cup? ZERO since you like ZEROs so much.  And no don't say Dominick Hasek because he was the 43 year old back up to Osgood when the Wings won the Cup in 2008 and he only played in the 1st round series against Nashville and was pulled for Osgood who went the rest of the way.  Khudobin is a good prospect who has gone through a long NHL level development process and Rask lead the league in goals against and save percentage two years ago and is considered by many in NHL circles to be a true number one. I'll agree that Rask hasn't ever done it in the playoffs but he also hasn't been in the league for 15 years has is?   Rask isn't injury prone as you suggest either.  Rask had his first major injury of his career this year and he is going to be out what a total of 6 weeks. Where is all this injury history you speak of? What his minor arthoscopic knee surgery to remove cartilage two years ago after the season ended? How many games did he miss that year because of that injury? Oh that's right your favorite number again ZERO. Khudobin I'll agree is an unknown with upside but to call Rask an injury prone player who hasn't shown anything at the NHL level and is doomed to fail is ridiculous.   Like I said there is a risk in trading Thomas but again since you like ZEROs so much how many 40+ year old stanley cup winning goalies have their been? ZERO!   I'd rather trade Thomas, take the risk and get assets that can help the team win future Cups than do what you suggest happens, keep Thomas in hopes he becomes the first 40+ year old starting goalie in the 95+ history of NHL to win a Stanley Cup.  History suggests your plan is doomed to fail.
    Posted by bobforte2002

Wasn't Johny Bower in his 40's?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's about money not what is left in the tank. You cannot stay loyal to a great champion when you can get some really good prospects and draft picks or you don't have money to keep your core of good young players by overpaying a veteran. Too many sports franchises hang onto players too long and get burned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : How many 40+ year old starting goalies have backed their team to a Stanley Cup? ZERO since you like ZEROs so much.  And no don't say Dominick Hasek because he was the 43 year old back up to Osgood when the Wings won the Cup in 2008 and he only played in the 1st round series against Nashville and was pulled for Osgood who went the rest of the way.  Khudobin is a good prospect who has gone through a long NHL level development process and Rask lead the league in goals against and save percentage two years ago and is considered by many in NHL circles to be a true number one. I'll agree that Rask hasn't ever done it in the playoffs but he also hasn't been in the league for 15 years has is?   Rask isn't injury prone as you suggest either.  Rask had his first major injury of his career this year and he is going to be out what a total of 6 weeks. Where is all this injury history you speak of? What his minor arthoscopic knee surgery to remove cartilage two years ago after the season ended? How many games did he miss that year because of that injury? Oh that's right your favorite number again ZERO. Khudobin I'll agree is an unknown with upside but to call Rask an injury prone player who hasn't shown anything at the NHL level and is doomed to fail is ridiculous.   Like I said there is a risk in trading Thomas but again since you like ZEROs so much how many 40+ year old stanley cup winning goalies have their been? ZERO!   I'd rather trade Thomas, take the risk and get assets that can help the team win future Cups than do what you suggest happens, keep Thomas in hopes he becomes the first 40+ year old starting goalie in the 95+ history of NHL to win a Stanley Cup.  History suggests your plan is doomed to fail.
    Posted by bobforte2002

I never stated that Rask was injury prone.  Learn how to read.

When did I start liking zeros?

Since you like the "how many" game, I'll ask you how many 36 year old goaltenders have won the Vezina, Smythe and Cup in the same year?  How many NHL goaltenders got their full time NHL job at the age of 34 and won two Vezina Trophies?  How many this, how many that?  Matters not.

The breakdown on Rask:

"They" said he was going to be good.

He played well in his first full season and failed in the playoffs.

He lost his starting job very quickly in his second full season and didn't get to play in the playoffs because the old man was doing a good job.

He was a good backup to the old man in his third full season but sustained a pretty serious injury.  His return date is unknown.

Yeah, let's hang our hat on that guy and jettison the proven commodity based upon the year he was born.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's about money not what is left in the tank. You cannot stay loyal to a great champion when you can get some really good prospects and draft picks or you don't have money to keep your core of good young players by overpaying a veteran. Too many sports franchises hang onto players too long and get burned.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Bruins and Bourque

Colts and Manning

Leafs and Sundin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Wasn't Johny Bower in his 40's?
    Posted by jaywall

You're going back 40 years to find one and yes he played in a stanley cup final at age 43 but Toronto used the two goalie system and he was used sparringly. 

Also the league had 6 teams in 1967 (the year he played in the cup final at age 43) and the competition, number of games, travel, etc..  were all extremley different than today's game.  

If you're looking for a chink in my arguement fine I'll change it to what modern era 40+ year old goalie has led their team to a Stanley Cup, Zero.  (note the modern era begins in 1968 with expansion of the league).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : If you're looking for a chink in my arguement fine I'll change it to what modern era 40+ year old goalie has led their team to a Stanley Cup, Zero.  (note the modern era begins in 1968 with expansion of the league).
    Posted by bobforte2002

What modern era 40+ year old goaltender failed to lead his team to a Stanley Cup?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

Posted by SanDogBrewin

Agreed and it ain't like Thomas hasn't worn out his welcome with some of his teammates and management with his off ice antics and prickly behavior.  One can argue that although age and  off ice attitude shoudn't be determing factors in not trading him, the reality is they will be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

let's trade the two time vezina winning conn smythe winning veteran who had the most dominant post season in NHL history less than a year ago. And lets base that decision on a guy who played a great game that meant nothing, and another guy with a cool name who hasn't proved he can perform in the post season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : You're going back 40 years to find one and yes he played in a stanley cup final at age 43 but Toronto used the two goalie system and he was used sparringly.  Also the league had 6 teams in 1967 (the year he played in the cup final at age 43) and the competition, number of games, travel, etc..  were all extremley different than today's game.   If you're looking for a chink in my arguement fine I'll change it to what modern era 40+ year old goalie has led their team to a Stanley Cup, Zero.  (note the modern era begins in 1968 with expansion of the league).
    Posted by bobforte2002

"keep Thomas in hopes he becomes the first 40+ year old starting goalie in the 95+ history of NHL to win a Stanley Cup. History suggests your plan is doomed to fail."

Your words. Just stating the obvious. No need to alter your criteria to better fit your argument. It is just as effective to say it has only happened once in over half a century.

By the way, I do agree with you. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : I'll make you a deal I'l learn how to read when you promise not to suck guys off at inter-state truck stops. You know you're better than that or at least the two dads that raised you probably think you are. "Rask = injured and no history of consistent success" - you're quote.  I'll agree Rask has yet to do anything in the playoffs but he hasn't had much of a chance.  You however didn't answer my question, how many 40+ year old goalies have backed their team to a Stanley Cup, ZERO. Stop focusing on being right in your world and take a look at the world with a view that doesn't include a dude's junk in your face blurring your vision.
    Posted by bobforte2002

And when you are beaten down and embarrassed by the magnification of your amazing stupidty, be sure you resort to gay jokes.

High quality argument there, Bobo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

None of the salaries of these guys prohibits the Bruins from making other key roster moves. So why would you get rid of Thomas, who has proven he can win? Ride the guy until he's out of gas, then make your move to one of two promising, young netminders.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : And when you are beaten down and embarrassed by the magnification of your amazing stupidty, be sure you resort to gay jokes. High quality argument there, Bobo.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Blah blah blah.  i based my suggestion of trading Thomas on facts not delusions rooted in my own baseless opinions. 

Fact: Thomas is a two time vezina winner, con smythe winner and a stanley cup champion.    

Fact: No 40+ year old goalie has ever backed a team to a stanley cup victory.

Pro athletes get old fast and teams should trade aging stars while they still can get something for them.  Most teams don't do this and over pay and stunt their teams future success by hanging onto players too long. The Patriots are the perfect example of a team that does not do this (Milloy, Law, Bledsoe, etc...) How'd those moves work out for the Patriots?

I'd rather get something for Thomas than to assume he'll be the first 40+ year old goalie to ever back his team to the cup.  You think otherwise based on your extensive NHL scouting experience and thoughs on Rask and Khudobin.  Unlike you I don't claim to be an expert on either player or any player in the NHL for that matter.  

I'm basing my suggestion on facts (again no 40+ year old goalied ever winning the cup) and the fact that moving Thomas could help the team by getting assets that could win future cups.  You think Thomas is gonna win 4 straight more cups with the Bruins and not only be the first goalie in modern NHL history to win not one but multiple stanley cups as 40+ year old?  Seriously?

How long do you want Thomas to be the B's goalie?  Till he's 50?  If you need Thomas in your life so bad go to Ebay and see if you can get some of his game used cup protectors.  Hell you must have the time.  Any idiot that actually has enough time to post 8,000+ messages on on message board must live in his two dads' basement.  Go get some sun, clear air and lay off the message board for a few weeks.  Who knows, you might find out there is life beyond message board posting.  I doubt it though in your case. 

I eagerly await one of your clever retorts filled with more wisdom from your inifite experience as both an NHL player and Front Office Executive.  Carry on good sir.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

None of the salaries of these guys prohibits the Bruins from making other key roster moves. So why would you get rid of Thomas, who has proven he can win? Ride the guy until he's out of gas, then make your move to one of two promising, young netminders.
    Posted by asmaha

How many 40+ year old goalies have backed their teams to the Cup in modern NHL history?  ZERO.  That's why.  Thomas is running out of gas and might just have enough left in the tank to win another one.  Why wait to the tank is on empty when you can trade him for something newer?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

let's trade the two time vezina winning conn smythe winning veteran who had the most dominant post season in NHL history less than a year ago. And lets base that decision on a guy who played a great game that meant nothing, and another guy with a cool name who hasn't proved he can perform in the post season.
    Posted by JWensink

How many 40+ year old goalies have backed their teams to the Cup in modern NHL history?  ZERO.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : How many 40+ year old goalies have backed their teams to the Cup in modern NHL history?  ZERO.  That's why.  Thomas is running out of gas and might just have enough left in the tank to win another one.  Why wait to the tank is on empty when you can trade him for something newer?
    Posted by bobforte2002

So with that said, how much of a trade market will there be for Thomas?  The team has to be in win now, which is going to limit what they are willing to give back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : I never stated that Rask was injury prone.  Learn how to read. When did I start liking zeros? Since you like the "how many" game, I'll ask you how many 36 year old goaltenders have won the Vezina, Smythe and Cup in the same year?  How many NHL goaltenders got their full time NHL job at the age of 34 and won two Vezina Trophies?  How many this, how many that?  Matters not. The breakdown on Rask: "They" said he was going to be good. He played well in his first full season and failed in the playoffs. He lost his starting job very quickly in his second full season and didn't get to play in the playoffs because the old man was doing a good job. He was a good backup to the old man in his third full season but sustained a pretty serious injury.  His return date is unknown. Yeah, let's hang our hat on that guy and jettison the proven commodity based upon the year he was born.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Oh here's some more facts.  You've been on this message board for 26 months and have posted a ridiculous 8,340+ times.  So let's do some math:

8,340 / 26 (months) = 320 posts per month

320 posts / 30 (days) = 10.6 posts per day

You = Loser  

Math class over for the day champ. Get a life or at least a live in boyfriend that can help you split the rent in your two dads' basement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : So with that said, how much of a trade market will there be for Thomas?  The team has to be in win now, which is going to limit what they are willing to give back.
    Posted by BSXIII

Not huge but there will be a market and if some team doesn't offer fair value than you keep the guy.  I"m not saying you're gonna get a Sidney Crosby in return for Thomas but a first and a second round pick or some combinaton of a top six forward or top four d-man along with a prospect and or a pick isn't out of the question.  That's not a huge bounty for a team that thinkns they are a goalie away.

I believe there are teams out there that have solid rosters that lean more towards the veteran side of things that feel they are a good goalie away from the cup (Tampa, Chicago, San Jose and others) that would be willing to offer fair value.  Again if they don't you keep Thomas one more year and ride it out. However I highly doubt if that were to play itself out the chances of the Bruins re-signing Thomas at age 41 at the end of next season are both slim and none.

Sections
Shortcuts