Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

My bad NAS. I didn't realize Bob was a typing clown, to steal a phrase.

To answer the question, Chiarelli will ultimately decide and it'll be based on much better analysis than what an armchair quarterback fan would base his opinion on. For me, I think we often forget that sports has statistics that help explain many trends, but we tend to forget that there are outliers. The fact remains that today, April 7th, and for every game coming up this playoffs, Tim Thomas gives Boston an excellent chance to win games. That won't magically change during the summer.

There are certainly times when a shrewd GM needs to cut bait before a player's decline and get good value in return. However, there are also times when said player's value, even if he is declining, far exceeds what you get in return.

Boston has a better chance at a Cup with Thomas in net than without, until he proves otherwise. When that day comes, they already will have one or maybe two options to replace him. And when you have a tremendously young core up front, coupled with a minimum of 5 years of solid play on the current blue line roster roster, you don't sacrifice the here and now now and go with unproven goaltending. You take as many cracks at it as you can with the horse that got you there.

If the $$ doesn't add up, that's another story altogether. But based on play and the assumption that because a guy's old means he will fall off a cliff, you're just wrong on this. Bluster away all you want, but you're wrong and most people on here know you're wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Bruins and Bourque Colts and Manning Leafs and Sundin Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Bourque zero titles in Boston return ? Andreychuk, Rolston, Grenier and Pahlsson.

Manning got $18M last year for nothing. Colts got "0" back when they released Peyton nothing instead of trading him a few years earlier for more.

Sundin nada titles in Toronto

Saying that Tuukka had an ok season with 1.97 GAA and a .931 save % in 2010 is just plain stubborn as well as saying Rask was the sole culprit to blame for losing too Philly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Rask is a UFA this year.
    Thomas' NMC expires this year.
    Khodobin's deal becomes one-way this year.

If you were Rask, why would you re-sign with the B's if you were going to remain a backup? Why would the Bruins make Khodobin's contract one-way if they weren't planning on using him? Just to make sure he stayed in Providence? If all they wanted him for was depth, then there are the Marty Turcos of the world.

I think everything was lined up for the Rask Khodobin duo for next year, and that you trade Thomas while his value is high instead of waiting for him to dry up in another 2 years. I think they structured his deal for the 1 year overlap and his expiring NMC specifically in case something went away from the original plan (Tuukka decided not to sign. Khodobin took off for the KHL. One of the 2 were injured.) From everything you hear from anyone in the B's organization, Tuukka isn't just a "really good goaltender," (what anyone would say sbout their backup) but he's "the goalie of the future," and that they think he will "be a star in this league" (not what you hear about every backup).

The "Thomas is proven" argument is weak. Rask has been great when he's gotten consistent playing time. If they think Rask is the future, they are either going to make this move this year or next year. The stars are alligned for this year, so they'll do it, in my estimation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

If TT doesn't help the B's get close to another cup. Then & only then will it be a decision to trade him. If they get to the CF's & he plays well up till that point I don't think Thomas will be going anywhere, no matter what his age is. The thing is that TT isn't going to get the B's anything more than Rask would. IMO I think Rask can get the B's the better options if it's future assets you want to talk about. Rask still isn't TT & he may never get there. TT is there now. So, if you really want to talk about the future & the now. Rask is the one that should go. TT has proven the team can win now. Rask is supposedly the future. There's no reason that the B's can't trade Rask, get assests for the future & continue to win now. Trading Timmy & you give up the now, with an unknown future! That's not smart business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas:
    [QUOTE]Rask is a UFA this year. Thomas' NMC expires this year. Khodobin's deal becomes one-way this year. If you were Rask, why would you re-sign with the B's if you were going to remain a backup? Why would the Bruins make Khodobin's contract one-way if they weren't planning on using him? Just to make sure he stayed in Providence? If all they wanted him for was depth, then there are the Marty Turcos of the world. I think everything was lined up for the Rask Khodobin duo for next year, and that you trade Thomas while his value is high instead of waiting for him to dry up in another 2 years. I think they structured his deal for the 1 year overlap and his expiring NMC specifically in case something went away from the original plan (Tuukka decided not to sign. Khodobin took off for the KHL. One of the 2 were injured.) From everything you hear from anyone in the B's organization, Tuukka isn't just a "really good goaltender," (what anyone would say sbout their backup) but he's "the goalie of the future," and that they think he will "be a star in this league" (not what you hear about every backup). The "Thomas is proven" argument is weak. Rask has been great when he's gotten consistent playing time. If they think Rask is the future, they are either going to make this move this year or next year. The stars are alligned for this year, so they'll do it, in my estimation.
    Posted by Tom857[/QUOTE]

Rask is actually an RFA on July1st. He will not likely be going anywhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Rask is a UFA this year. Thomas' NMC expires this year. Khodobin's deal becomes one-way this year. If you were Rask, why would you re-sign with the B's if you were going to remain a backup? Why would the Bruins make Khodobin's contract one-way if they weren't planning on using him? Just to make sure he stayed in Providence? If all they wanted him for was depth, then there are the Marty Turcos of the world. I think everything was lined up for the Rask Khodobin duo for next year, and that you trade Thomas while his value is high instead of waiting for him to dry up in another 2 years. I think they structured his deal for the 1 year overlap and his expiring NMC specifically in case something went away from the original plan (Tuukka decided not to sign. Khodobin took off for the KHL. One of the 2 were injured.) From everything you hear from anyone in the B's organization, Tuukka isn't just a "really good goaltender," (what anyone would say sbout their backup) but he's "the goalie of the future," and that they think he will "be a star in this league" (not what you hear about every backup). The "Thomas is proven" argument is weak. Rask has been great when he's gotten consistent playing time. If they think Rask is the future, they are either going to make this move this year or next year. The stars are alligned for this year, so they'll do it, in my estimation.
    Posted by Tom857[/QUOTE]
    And why isn't this weak! At least the Thomas is proven quote is an ACTUAL fact! I like basing my decisions on facts, not on unknown futures! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : And why isn't this weak! At least the Thomas is proven quote is an ACTUAL fact! I like my basing my decisions on facts, not on unknown futures! 
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

So you would not have traded Kessel for picks then?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Oh here's some more facts.  You've been on this message board for 26 months and have posted a ridiculous 8,340+ times.  So let's do some math: 8,340 / 26 (months) = 320 posts per month 320 posts / 30 (days) = 10.6 posts per day You = Loser   Math class over for the day champ. Get a life or at least a live in boyfriend that can help you split the rent in your two dads' basement.
    Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]

You should try to show a little more respect to one of the better posters on this message board.
    Your manner of speaking, indicates you are very young, so there is hope that you will someday learn enough, that you will be embarassed by the comments, you are making now.
    Make sure you tell THOMAS, he won't be able to win a cup when he turns 40. He has made a career of proving people wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : So you would not have traded Kessel for picks then?
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    Total different situation! That was getting rid of a player who didn't want to be part of the organization. You're also talking about getting rid of arguably the best Bruin goalie in their history & without a doubt the best they've had in almost 40 yrs! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : How many 40+ year old goalies have backed their teams to the Cup in modern NHL history?  ZERO.  That's why.  Thomas is running out of gas and might just have enough left in the tank to win another one.  Why wait to the tank is on empty when you can trade him for something newer?

In 1969, how many players had scored 59 goals in a single season? ZERO...
    How many have had 66 in a single season since? 20 times. Dude I dont understand your argument. Because its never been done doesn't mean it will not be.
    By the way... you mad?

Ps. I love Thomas, but I'd trade him if there was an offer Chia couldn't refuse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Total different situation! That was getting rid of a player who didn't want to be part of the organization. You're also talking about getting rid of arguably the best Bruin goalie in their history & without a doubt the best they've had in almost 40 yrs! 

Yes, it was a false equivilancy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I really don't like this argument. Right now there is but one number 1 goalie and it's Tim Thomas.  As Bruin fans we've waited a very long time for this goaltender to carry a team on his back all the way to the cup.
    I'm sure a decision on goaltending will be made this summer and I trust in Chiarelli.
    On another note anyone that brings up Thomas off ice issues doesn't know anything because Thomas and his political views has been in the dressing room way before they won the cup . Give it a rest !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't like this argument. Right now there is but one number 1 goalie and it's Tim Thomas.  As Bruin fans we've waited a very long tome for this goaltender to carry a team on his back all the way to the cup. I'm sure a decision on goaltending will be made this summer and I trust in Chiarelli. On another note anyone that brings up Thomas off ice issues doesn't know anything because Thomas and his political views has been in the dressing room way before they won the cup . Give it a rest !!!
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Well said, BsL.  True, PC will have some decisions to make down the road but to have the packing of Thomas' bags accelerated by one solid performance by a goalie largely unproven at the NHL level seems out of order. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't like this argument. Right now there is but one number 1 goalie and it's Tim Thomas.  As Bruin fans we've waited a very long tome for this goaltender to carry a team on his back all the way to the cup. I'm sure a decision on goaltending will be made this summer and I trust in Chiarelli. On another note anyone that brings up Thomas off ice issues doesn't know anything because Thomas and his political views has been in the dressing room way before they won the cup . Give it a rest !!!
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    Yea I'm getting tired of the so called fans who forget so easily what the guy has done! I won't be responding to any more trade TT threads, because 90% of them that start them are young & have no idea what suffering means! I don't care if they get knoocked out in the first round. I still think the guy has a lot left & if it comes down to a Rask- TT debate I'm with the guy who brought us the enjoyment even if it was for only a season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas :    You should try to show a little more respect to one of the better posters on this message board. Your manner of speaking, indicates you are very young, so there is hope that you will someday learn enough, that you will be embarassed by the comments, you are making now. Make sure you tell THOMAS, he won't be able to win a cup when he turns 40. He has made a career of proving people wrong.
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]
    Seeing your response showed me why bobforte2002 is ignored on my forum. Still wondering how the moderators allow that kind of personal attack to continue from a poster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Oh here's some more facts.  You've been on this message board for 26 months and have posted a ridiculous 8,340+ times.  So let's do some math: 8,340 / 26 (months) = 320 posts per month 320 posts / 30 (days) = 10.6 posts per day You = Loser   Math class over for the day champ. Get a life or at least a live in boyfriend that can help you split the rent in your two dads' basement.

NAS will forget more about hockey than you'll ever know.  You want to talk hockey? Talk hockey.  Leave the other crap out of this forum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : And why isn't this weak! At least the Thomas is proven quote is an ACTUAL fact! I like basing my decisions on facts, not on unknown futures! 

Sports require speculation... particularly in a league with a hard cap. It's just how it is. Are the Bruins going to be better by hanging on to Thomas for 1 extra year and then getting nothing for him, or are they going to be better by going with Rask and using Thomas' return/cap-space on other pieces (Say, put that money towards someone like Parise)? There's no way to know for sure. But if you stick with Thomas you pin all your hopes on 1 year, where-as if you go with "Rask + return," I personally think you have a better chance to win next year, AND have that "+ return" going for you for subsequent years. Is it speculation that any potential drop off from Thomas/Rask to Rask/Khodobin would be offset by Thomas' return? Sure. But it's an educated guess, with the odds in its favor.

Also, whoever said "You can trade Rask for a return and keep Thomas," first of all, Rask is a free agent, so no you can't. Second, then Rask is gone, Thomas will be gone in a year, and then you only have Khodobin left. How is that a good move?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS may be grating, but the way you're behaving you're making him look down right genteel by comparison. While I disagree with him on a number of hockey related observations, anyone who would question his degree of hockey knowledge obviously doesn't know what they're talking about

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Sports require speculation... particularly in a league with a hard cap. It's just how it is. Are the Bruins going to be better by hanging on to Thomas for 1 extra year and then getting nothing for him, or are they going to be better by going with Rask and using Thomas' return/cap-space on other pieces (Say, put that money towards someone like Parise)? There's no way to know for sure. But if you stick with Thomas you pin all your hopes on 1 year, where-as if you go with "Rask + return," I personally think you have a better chance to win next year, AND have that "+ return" going for you for subsequent years. Is it speculation that any potential drop off from Thomas/Rask to Rask/Khodobin would be offset by Thomas' return? Sure. But it's an educated guess, with the odds in its favor. Also, whoever said "You can trade Rask for a return and keep Thomas," first of all, Rask is a free agent, so no you can't. Second, then Rask is gone, Thomas will be gone in a year, and then you only have Khodobin left. How is that a good move?
    Posted by Tom857[/QUOTE]

Again, Rask is an RFA so he is not likely going anywhere as the B's will probably match any offersheet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Add me to the loser list.
    Age    : 45
    Bruins fan: going on 39 years
    Computer access : IT'S 2012 WE CAN POST IN OUR SLEEP !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Legion, this is what makes me think this poster is just an immature kid - best rejoinder they can come up with is more of the same old homophobic b***s***. Great rhetorical skills there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Legion, this is what makes me think this poster is just an immature kid - best rejoinder they can come up with is more of the same old homophobic b***s***. Great rhetorical skills there.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

i wouldnt read too much into it Red..just another idiot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Sports require speculation... particularly in a league with a hard cap. It's just how it is. Are the Bruins going to be better by hanging on to Thomas for 1 extra year and then getting nothing for him, or are they going to be better by going with Rask and using Thomas' return/cap-space on other pieces (Say, put that money towards someone like Parise)? There's no way to know for sure. But if you stick with Thomas you pin all your hopes on 1 year, where-as if you go with "Rask + return," I personally think you have a better chance to win next year, AND have that "+ return" going for you for subsequent years. Is it speculation that any potential drop off from Thomas/Rask to Rask/Khodobin would be offset by Thomas' return? Sure. But it's an educated guess, with the odds in its favor. Also, whoever said "You can trade Rask for a return and keep Thomas," first of all, Rask is a free agent, so no you can't. Second, then Rask is gone, Thomas will be gone in a year, and then you only have Khodobin left. How is that a good move?
    Posted by Tom857[/QUOTE]
    Don't you still try to win for the now? You already have a winning commodity with TT. I'm not saying to pay the guy another $5 mill. I'm saying if you want the best to be able to move something & still have the better potential to win now & the future. Rask I think will bring a far better deal for both the now & the future. The B's will still have plenty of room if they decide to go after the Parise type. New Jersey is the team that doesn't have anybody after Brodeur. Even IF Parise is an UFA I think the B's have a far better chance of getting him signed than Jersey does. Trade Rask for Parise's rights & a condtional draft pick (meaning) Parise signs elswhere on JUly 1 the B's get 2 1st rounders from New Jersey.  Offering TT to Jersey wouldn't get the job done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Seeing your response showed me why bobforte2002 is ignored on my forum. Still wondering how the moderators allow that kind of personal attack to continue from a poster.
    Posted by PINEwarmer[/QUOTE]

That's what I was wondering.  You have posters tossing ridiculous personal slurs like this, you have mindless idiots like null having no legitimate purpose for membership on these boards other than to start trouble... what is wrong with the moderation here?

I'm a moderator on another board and honestly, they wouldn't consider allowing the foolishness there that goes on here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Blah blah blah.  Fact: No 40+ year old goalie has ever backed a team to a stanley cup victory.

I base my opinions on what I see on the ice. 

Here's what I see:  Thomas is playing great. 

Sections
Shortcuts