Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas:
    In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Legion, this is what makes me think this poster is just an immature kid - best rejoinder they can come up with is more of the same old homophobic b***s***. Great rhetorical skills there.
    Posted by red75

Gay jokes stopped being funny when being gay became socially okay...about 15 years ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

Rask = injured and no history of consistent success Khudobin = seven NHL games. No + No = Thomas stays
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I totally agree.  Rask broke down in the playoffs the year he was the #1.  He has really good numbers this year but look who he faced.  I'm not convinced he's the B's #1 for the next 5+ years.  That was the consensus after Raycroft won ROY and look how that panned out.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

Does anyone else think it's odd that Rask hasn't been signed yet?  PC's throwing multi-year money at a 4th line winger but his biggest free agent concern remains unsigned.  Is Tukka looking for Thomas type money and PC doesn't see the value for a player who's played less than 100 NHL games, has had injuries and broke down in his one playoff run?  Letting Rask hit the market is a big risk when your are forced to match some other clubs inflated offer.  Look at some goaltending starved team like Florida and you could either be forced to overpay or watch him walk.    Should have dealt him before the deadline this year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Does anyone else think it's odd that Rask hasn't been signed yet?  PC's throwing multi-year money at a 4th line winger but his biggest free agent concern remains unsigned.  Is Tukka looking for Thomas type money and PC doesn't see the value for a player who's played less than 100 NHL games, has had injuries and broke down in his one playoff run?  Letting Rask hit the market is a big risk when your are forced to match some other clubs inflated offer.  Look at some goaltending starved team like Florida and you could either be forced to overpay or watch him walk.    Should have dealt him before the deadline this year. 
    Posted by teibore1

Florida has 1 of the top goaltending prospects in the world.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474593

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Rask is not going to hit the free agent market. He's an RFA. PC tenders him a 10% raise and he accepts it or holds out. Any offers by other teams can be matched by the Bs. This is a CBA year and no GM is jumping into the long term deal market until the CBA resolves some issues and clarifies the salary cap for the next few years. Rask isn't going anywhere for nothing in return and neither is Khudobin. As far as I know, he's not even entitled to arbitration.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In order to have reasonable discussions, people have to be equipped to differentiate irrelevant facts, from those that really mean something.  It also helps to know a little bit about how the game works.  First, rfa's really don't have much bargaining power.  I f somebody really wants Tuuka, and they'll pay more than PC, we'll have another Kessel deal.  Tuuka can't walk.  The Bruins have to "let him go".   There are many, many scenario's that could play out this summer regarding Bruin goalies.  Totally dumb to suggest any of them are the way to go, because what dictates that, is what is being offered.  Seems reasonable that 1 of the 3 may be playing somewhere else next year.  The B's have probably already discussed strategies, but it's almost like the draft, you make your final decision, based on availability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas :  That was the consensus after Raycroft won ROY and look how that panned out. Posted by teibore1

What is it about Rask's game that you find similar to Razor's game that might lead you to believe that the same will happen ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In order to have reasonable discussions, people have to be equipped to differentiate irrelevant facts, from those that really mean something.  It also helps to know a little bit about how the game works.  First, rfa's really don't have much bargaining power.  I f somebody really wants Tuuka, and they'll pay more than PC, we'll have another Kessel deal.  Tuuka can't walk.  The Bruins have to "let him go".   There are many, many scenario's that could play out this summer regarding Bruin goalies.  Totally dumb to suggest any of them are the way to go, because what dictates that, is what is being offered.  Seems reasonable that 1 of the 3 may be playing somewhere else next year.  The B's have probably already discussed strategies, but it's almost like the draft, you make your final decision, based on availability.
    Posted by stevegm

I wouldn't say "dumb" because one of them is going to be right. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : What is it about Rask's game that you find similar to Razor's game that might lead you to believe that the same will happen ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Because he is not TT and, thus merely a flash in the pan. I believe that is the argument. If a young goalie does not win a Vezina or the Conn  Smythe in his first three years (neither did Thomas by the way) in the league then he can never be a starter. I think I hit all the talking points.

Can we move on now? Remember, playoffs in a few days?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Because he is not TT and, thus merely a flash in the pan. I believe that is the argument. If a young goalie does not win a Vezina or the Conn  Smythe in his first three years (neither did Thomas by the way) in the league then he can never be a starter. I think I hit all the talking points. Can we move on now? Remember, playoffs in a few days?
    Posted by jmwalters

I can understand why B's fans are gunshy when it comes to believing a goalie is going to be what "they" say he will be.

We heard about Toivonen for years.

We watched Raycroft fall apart.

Some of us recall the glory of Mike Moffat.

The "goalie of the future" tag has been used and re-used and a wholesale misnomer for as long as I've been watching the Bruins.  Tuukka Rask hasn't been a #1 NHL goalie for two seasons.  I will believe his skill set when I see it on the stat sheet.  Until then, he's just another creation of the Hype Machine in my view.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Nothing lasts forever. Neither does TT or most other current Bruins for that matter. The time will come when players will need to move on for the future health of the club. If there is an excellent offer for Thomas come July 1st then PC will obviously determine if it is time to cut him loose. That is the nature of the business.
    Posted by jaywall

If TT dosen't preform well  ( if the Bruins exit the playoffs and the blame is on hiim), then yes July 1st comment makes sense...But until TT fails, it's a no brainer that TT is on the team in 2012/2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Whoa to all this attack stuff. Stick to hockey. The potential future for the Bruins, as planned by Peter Chiarelli , is to have Rask emerge as his #1 goalie for many years to come. Khudobin or Thomas could be the back-up, dependant upon a number of factors which have been itterated in this lengthy post. Presents lots of discussion for all posters and trolls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : I wouldn't say "dumb" because one of them is going to be right. 
    Posted by nitemare-38

No. You're missing the point.  The thread is "see ya later Thomas".
    If I go on and on about why TT should go, and the B's move Khudobin...it doesn't make me partially right, just because he's a Bruin goalie.  It means my prediction is totally wrong, and my logic for assuming that was the teams "only reasonable" option was...dumb.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Whoa to all this attack stuff. Stick to hockey. The potential future for the Bruins, as planned by Peter Chiarelli , is to have Rask emerge as his #1 goalie for many years to come. Khudobin or Thomas could be the back-up, dependant upon a number of factors which have been itterated in this lengthy post. Presents lots of discussion for all posters and trolls.
    Posted by bogie6

Personal insults, that last resort of one attempting to defend a losing argument.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Because he is not TT and, thus merely a flash in the pan. I believe that is the argument. If a young goalie does not win a Vezina or the Conn  Smythe in his first three years (neither did Thomas by the way) Posted by jmwalters

You're right Thomas wasn't as good as Rask when he as 25 and you also ran around my question.

What do you see in Tuukka's game that reminds you of Razor to lead you to believe that the same will happen ?

Don't reply if you don't have answer and it's a legitimate debate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : You're right Thomas wasn't as good as Rask when he as 25 and you also ran around my question. What do you see in Tuukka's game that reminds you of Razor to lead you to believe that the same will happen ? Don't reply if you don't have answer and it's a legitimate debate.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

My answer is there are no similarities aside from the fact they are/were young. I agree with your side of the argument and yes, it is a legitimate debate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

bobunfortunately misposted.  Thomas is a logical one to trade if and only if the Bs are eliminated in the first round with Thomas playing like he was 25.  His contract is not offensive, but the fact remains in most hockey players lose their potential in less than 5 to 7 years.  Thomas was and is spetacular. No question, his picture of holding the Cup is on my wall.  Yet the business of sports is to modify, so Rask may be a risk worth taking as a number one.  As for Khodobin, ah, one game does not make a NHL player.  All this is just banter, but PC will look hard and long at offers for Thomas and Rask this summer.  Meanwhile I am thinking another Cup.  I have no time for negative thinking now!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

bobunfortunately misposted.  Thomas is a logical one to trade if and only if the Bs are eliminated in the first round with Thomas playing like he was 25.  His contract is not offensive, but the fact remains in most hockey players lose their potential in less than 5 to 7 years.  Thomas was and is spetacular. No question, his picture of holding the Cup is on my wall.  Yet the business of sports is to modify, so Rask may be a risk worth taking as a number one.  As for Khodobin, ah, one game does not make a NHL player.  All this is just banter, but PC will look hard and long at offers for Thomas and Rask this summer.  Meanwhile I am thinking another Cup.  I have no time for negative thinking now!
    Posted by islamorada

Now wait a minute Isla. The argument is who will get the B's the most out of in a trade. IF & only IF the B's lose in the 1st round will they get rid of him? IF that should happen do you think TT will bring more than Rask? IF the B's should get even close to winning again & TT is part of the big reason the B's get that far. Then what? You can't get rid of your biggest asset if you want to continue to be a contender. The B's management team is to do all it can to continue to win for the now & the future. Regardless of what happens I still think Rask gets the B's more in return. Only because of his age.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I think Rask's accomplishments (leading the NHL in GAA and sv %, beating a Buffalo team that was favored in the playoffs, and general success otherwise) puts him a little beyond the "hype machine " tag that could be applied to players like Toivonen or some other goalies we've heard about in the past.  It also makes him a little better than a guy with 7 NHL games.

I also understand concerns about injury and not accomplishing much in the last couple years, but his not playing really hasn't been the result of anything he did wrong, more that TT was playing well and Rask was never given a chance to get his rhythm again.  Harping about "wearing down" against Philly is weak.  Are we really going to pick out a series that any one of the best goalies in the NHL have lost and dismiss them over it? C'mon.

Still, this isnt a "is Rask any good" argument. Some people like him, some dont. Whatever.

I still think Rask takes this decision out of the B's hands.  He is sick of sitting on the bench and has said so.  If he thinks its going to continue, he's not going to re-up in Boston, as he shouldn't.  That's why I think PC has to think long and hard about the possibility of trading Rask, not Thomas, because he's going to end up with next to nothing when he walks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Quick question aka actually looking for what you guys think to compare to what my crazy head thinks:
    What could Rask get you in a trade? vs. What could Thomas get you in a trade?

vs. Question no one seems to be asking - What could Khudobin get you in a trade?

I'm talking players or picks.  Have at it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboman88. Show zamboman88's posts

Umm...Tim Thomas is 37.  Contrary to this  +40 belief.  And is playing like a 30 yr old.  Why are we talking about this now?  I really thought Bruin fans were smarter than this.  God sakes...the guy just won us the Cup.

Stupid suggestions + stupid ideas = stupid people

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Umm...Tim Thomas is 37.  Contrary to this  +40 belief.  And is playing like a 30 yr old.  Why are we talking about this now?  I really thought Bruin fans were smarter than this.  God sakes...the guy just won us the Cup. Stupid suggestions + stupid ideas = stupid people
    Posted by zamboman88

Welcome to Boston/New England

Tom Brady has "lost" 2 of his last 5 superbowls and is now in the back 9 of his career.  A select few Pats fans I know are ready to move on from him.

I think a lot has to do with the recent success compared to none for a long time.  People like winning and want to make sure the teams are set up to do that for a while.

Keep in mind cup/smyth/vezina or not Thomas still has haters (for on ice and off ice reasons).  As soon as some people see an argument to dump him they take it.  Not everyone in this thread is proposing that by the way.  The OP may have but some are having a valid discussion as to if it would even be profitable (hence my question seeing that a soon to be 38 year old won't garner as much in return as a 25 year old)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

Umm...Tim Thomas is 37.  Contrary to this  +40 belief.  And is playing like a 30 yr old.  Why are we talking about this now?  I really thought Bruin fans were smarter than this.  God sakes...the guy just won us the Cup. Stupid suggestions + stupid ideas = stupid people
    Posted by zamboman88

Thomas will be 38 in less than a week. 39 next season.  Thus if were to re-sign him after next year instead of trading him he'd be 40 years old during the first year of his new contract (should he get one)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I will agree with the NAS response. Every Bruin Fan will change their mind about Thomas once the post season starts. Last year he was a God in Bruins Nation lets not forget that. He delivered us a cup after 39 years of waiting. Yes he may be an out spoken person at times but I respect his personal decisions. Last year I a lot friends and co workers said they hate the Bruins but they love Thomas in the post season and wanted to see Bruins win the to see Thomas lift the cup.

Rask and the 3rd string goalie are not quite proven in my books Yet ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : I can understand why B's fans are gunshy when it comes to believing a goalie is going to be what "they" say he will be. We heard about Toivonen for years. We watched Raycroft fall apart. Some of us recall the glory of Mike Moffat. The "goalie of the future" tag has been used and re-used and a wholesale misnomer for as long as I've been watching the Bruins.  Tuukka Rask hasn't been a #1 NHL goalie for two seasons.  I will believe his skill set when I see it on the stat sheet.  Until then, he's just another creation of the Hype Machine in my view.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yes, we know you need to look at a stat sheet in order to recognize what most of us can determine by watching the game. The thing is, he has already lead the league in gaa an s%. In addition to goaltending in general, Are numbers not making sense to you now either?

Sections
Shortcuts