Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas

This is a good debate and a good problem to have. I could make a strong case for keeping or trading TT. It just comes down to, do we take the possible short term or long term approach? Do we possibly lose a goalie who could be great for 2 years or 15?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas:
    [QUOTE]I think Rask's accomplishments (leading the NHL in GAA and sv %, beating a Buffalo team that was favored in the playoffs, and general success otherwise) puts him a little beyond the "hype machine " tag that could be applied to players like Toivonen or some other goalies we've heard about in the past.  It also makes him a little better than a guy with 7 NHL games. I also understand concerns about injury and not accomplishing much in the last couple years, but his not playing really hasn't been the result of anything he did wrong, more that TT was playing well and Rask was never given a chance to get his rhythm again.  Harping about "wearing down" against Philly is weak.  Are we really going to pick out a series that any one of the best goalies in the NHL have lost and dismiss them over it? C'mon. Still, this isnt a "is Rask any good" argument. Some people like him, some dont. Whatever. I still think Rask takes this decision out of the B's hands.  He is sick of sitting on the bench and has said so.  If he thinks its going to continue, he's not going to re-up in Boston, as he shouldn't.  That's why I think PC has to think long and hard about the possibility of trading Rask, not Thomas, because he's going to end up with next to nothing when he walks.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    I agree with 90% of this Soxfan. Here's a question. Do you think PC picked up Khudobin on a "hunch" that this mess possibly could happen? I find it rather strange that he would pick up Anton & then re-sign him for another 2 yrs. Sounds like he's the possible insurance for a decent future. If something happens to either Thomas, or Rask. 

I honestly have no issue's with letting Timmy go AFTER this contract IF Rask can actually be a great goalie. Let's take a look at what could've happened if Thomas wasn't around when Rask went down. Is anyone foolish enough to believe that Turco could've gave the B's the goaltending that was needed to help them secure a play-off spot? Let's remember this team was rattled still when Rask got hurt. Khudobin was hurt, Rask was hurt. If TT wasn't still here then what? Marty Turco!?  Could he have given the B's enough to even get them into the play-offs? If he did Turco couldn't play in the play-offs any way. Now, Rask still won't be ready for game 1 for the play-offs & the B's would have Khudobin. I personally think that PC should do all he can to keep the the TT/Rask tandem together as long as he can. There's no reason to think that these two guys can't switch roles at some point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

I'm big on the idea of keeping both Thomas and Tuukka for next season.  I'm not sure if I let Tuukka take over the reigns unless he has put up another full season without being injured (this year the groin last year the knee).  At the same time saying he hasn't had a chance to win the #1 job isn't true as some have pointed out.  He has had the chance, he just wasn't the best goalie on the team... you've got to earn your spot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]I think Rask's accomplishments (leading the NHL in GAA and sv %, beating a Buffalo team that was favored in the playoffs, and general success otherwise) puts him a little beyond the "hype machine " tag that could be applied to players like Toivonen or some other goalies we've heard about in the past.  It also makes him a little better than a guy with 7 NHL games. I also understand concerns about injury and not accomplishing much in the last couple years, but his not playing really hasn't been the result of anything he did wrong, more that TT was playing well and Rask was never given a chance to get his rhythm again.  Harping about "wearing down" against Philly is weak.  Are we really going to pick out a series that any one of the best goalies in the NHL have lost and dismiss them over it? C'mon. Still, this isnt a "is Rask any good" argument. Some people like him, some dont. Whatever. I still think Rask takes this decision out of the B's hands.  He is sick of sitting on the bench and has said so.  If he thinks its going to continue, he's not going to re-up in Boston, as he shouldn't.  That's why I think PC has to think long and hard about the possibility of trading Rask, not Thomas, because he's going to end up with next to nothing when he walks.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

He can't walk Sox, he's rfa.  The B's have to decide to let him walk.  Obviously, the only way the B's would allow that, is if someone were to make an unbelievable financial offer to TR.  If thats the case we have a similar situation to the Kessel deal...or they can sign and trade.  The Bruins hold all the cards here.  I'm sure PC will be thinking long and hard about trading one of his goalies.  I'd be surprised if he hasn't had a chat or two already.  Each goalie warrants a different return, and that will be the deciding factor.
    Certainly, TT doesn't have as many years ahead of him as the other 2.  Other than that, pretty much everything else is up in the air.  The thing we don't know...and this would really make things clearer, is how the B's really feel about Tuuka.  Are they still sold on him as much as they were.  If so,  TT may go, but the B's won't want him going to a contender, so that'll muddy the water, and take away from the potential return.  The other is contract.  The B's will probably want to lock up Tuuka for a few years.  Not sure if he'd be ufa after a 1 year contract, but if he insisted on a 1 year, and that led to ufa status, he'd probably be gone for big bucks after one more year in a Bruins sweater, so that would make a trade attractive.
     There are just so many moving parts.  It's impossible to say what's best at this point.
    I'm thrilled with our goaltending situation though.  I'm thrilled the playoffs are starting, and I'm confident the B's will use good judgement when making goaltender decisions.  In the meantime, I just want whoever's in net...to steal the show, every night til sometime in June.   These days, nobody wins a cup with average goaltending.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : What modern era 40+ year old goaltender failed to lead his team to a Stanley Cup?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Roloson and Brodeur. That's just off the top of my head. I want to say Khabibulin too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Neely is on record saying Rask is going nowhere. As for Rask being capable of being a number 1, yes I think he is, in fact, I think if he becomes the starter he becomes a top 5 goalie in the league within a couple of years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Tuukka has put up a 2.20 GAA with a .926 SV% in 92 NHL starts.

I understand that he's less proven than Thomas. I totally get that. But let's face facts.....what happens if Tuukka signs his tender, and Timmy ends up playing well again next year, and they split the games 50/50, or even a little in Thomas' favor.

Timmy gets a contract, and Tuukka is an UFA, because (if memory serves correctly) RFA tenders are only for one year. If Timmy indeed plays well, and the Bruins decide to stick with Thomas, then I GUARANTEE Tuukka walks. He will be what? 26 or 27 at that point, and they STILL hadn't committed to him at that point?

And what happens if Thomas sucks the year after that?

Sorry, but Tuukka hasn't been given a legitimate shot (except for when he was a 22 year old rookie), and it's damn near a guarantee that Timmy's game sees a decline in two years.

Commit to Tuukka, and get what you can for Thomas while you can (unless Thomas does what he did last year).

Some of you have no balls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Tuuka Rask was the losing goalie in four consecutive playoff defeats to produce the worst choke in NHL history. This is like the Sox board and Papelbon. Oh, it's easy to find a closer. Sure it is..not. Be careful what you wish for, and then you might just get it. Tuuka Rask had more than an ample chance to prove himself. Thank god, Tim Thomas stole the job back from him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Tuuka Rask was the losing goalie in four consecutive playoff defeats to produce the worst choke in NHL history. This is like the Sox board and Papelbon. Oh, it's easy to find a closer. Sure it is..not. Be careful what you wish for, and then you might just get it. Tuuka Rask had more than an ample chance to prove himself. Thank god, Tim Thomas stole the job back from him. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Before last year, Rask and TT were tied for the amount of playoff series won. I thought TT losing to Carolina felt even worse than the Philly loss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

This thread isnt necro yet? Can it PLEASE not go the way of the "Fire Claude" threads???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Before last year, Rask and TT were tied for the amount of playoff series won. I thought TT losing to Carolina felt even worse than the Philly loss.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    How can you even compare the 2?

Also, TT is the only Bruin goalie to help the B's bounce back from 3-1 deficits. Not once, but twice. They didn't win, but you still need to add that TT's resume over Rasks. Rask went the other way. TT has never loss a series when the B's won 2 games out of 4. This picking apart the two will never win for Rask! Not after what happened last year & the year before. They both need to stay...period!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Tuuka Rask was the losing goalie in four consecutive playoff defeats to produce the worst choke in NHL history. This is like the Sox board and Papelbon. Oh, it's easy to find a closer. Sure it is..not. Be careful what you wish for, and then you might just get it. Tuuka Rask had more than an ample chance to prove himself. Thank god, Tim Thomas stole the job back from him. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Let's not forget that Boston basically were down to 2 NHL caliber centermen after DK went down in game 3. Savvy's head was still mush & Whitfield was their best face-off man percentage wise! I really would like to see the team keep both & just reverse the roles as Rask shows what a lot of others think he can be. Find other ways to generate deals! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Roloson and Brodeur. That's just off the top of my head. I want to say Khabibulin too.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Did those goaltenders fail to lead their teams, or were the teams simply not good enough?  I'd say the latter is the case.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Did those goaltenders fail to lead their teams, or were the teams simply not good enough?  I'd say the latter is the case.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I've always liked Brodeur but he hasn't had a good playoffs in a number of years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

If Tuukka hadn't gotten injured he would have gotten plenty of starts in March, heck there was a rumor that Julien was considering going with him as #1 for a stretch and possibly giving him a nod for the postseason if he could handle it as Thomas was "tired" which we later found out meant sick.  But just like last year when he his knee nagged him after January he went down again only this time needed time off the ice. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : I've always liked Brodeur but he hasn't had a good playoffs in a number of years.

I agree.  I always hated him against the B's, but man, he was awesome.  He also played 60 or 70 games for about 13 years straight.

Thomas, however, has not.  Blanket statement about age, like the ones this imp is posting, have no merit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

MaIn Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas:
    [QUOTE]If Tuukka hadn't gotten injured he would have gotten plenty of starts in March, heck there was a rumor that Julien was considering going with him as #1 for a stretch and possibly giving him a nod for the postseason if he could handle it as Thomas was "tired" which we later found out meant sick.  But just like last year when he his knee nagged him after January he went down again only this time needed time off the ice. 
    Posted by nix02061[/QUOTE]

Huh?  The team lost Tuukka's last 7 starts.  Maybe I'm not understanding this post entirely, but any suggestion that his injury derailed any type of momentum he had going is simply not true.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

[QUOTE]MaIn Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Huh?  The team lost Tuukka's last 7 starts.  Maybe I'm not understanding this post entirely, but any suggestion that his injury derailed any type of momentum he had going is simply not true.
    Posted by BSXIII[/QUOTE]

The post was in reply to those saying Tuukka wasn't ever given a shot to start.  He has been given his chances.  And this year would have been given a glowing one had he not lost his last 7 or had gotten hurt (again).  His injury is certainly ill timed for him as he would have been given equal work during that tough March schedule.  I'm not saying he was playing lights out or even well (heck at the time Thomas wasn't playing any better anyway which is why the rumors of Julien having it come down to March for his playoff starter surfaced). 

I'm just not seeing where Tuukka hasn't gotten a chance to "start" or "be the man".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I agree with nix. Prior to Rask getting hurt, he was playing pedestrian, below average in goal his last four of 5 starts for sure. He's had more than a chance and then some. Thomas had a short slump and in the last 10 games looked pretty damn good. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

There were a lot reasons why the team lost 4 straight v. Philly, but Rask was staked a 3-0 lead in game 7, and lost it all before OT. How is that translating to him being a No. 1 goalie?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I like Tuuka, I do, and I like Khoudobin (well, what little I saw of him), but this get Thomas out of town for the international duo is absurd.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : I've always liked Brodeur but he hasn't had a good playoffs in a number of years.

Combination of wear and tear, and not having Stevens, Niedermayer,Rafalski and Daneyko in front of him probably has something to with it as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Combination of wear and tear, and not having Stevens, Niedermayer,Rafalski and Daneyko in front of him probably has something to with it as well.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, it's not a slag against Brodeur either. He just played so well for so long that I came to expect more from him. Brodeur playing like a human just didn't look right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rask+Khudobin = See Ya Later Thomas : Kel, it's not a slag against Brodeur either. He just played so well for so long that I came to expect more from him. Brodeur playing like a human just didn't look right.

Totally agree, those defenseman i mentioned were great, but hey, I'm sure Brodeur helped them look as good as well. I can see Marty just shutting down Florida and his confidence getting real high. I still wouldnt bet against him, I'm guessing he still has enough in the tank.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

How are the two not comparable? Granted, the B's were up 3-0. But really?

The B's lost 3 straight in the Carolina series, in which Timmy surrendered 10 goals.
    The B's lost 4 straight in the Philly series, where Tuukka surrendered 15 goals.

Tuukka also played with a team that was full of AHLer's and castoffs in front of him. With Miro the hero taking charge as the fearless offensive leader, they were destined for failure.

Yes, one is worse than the other. But trying to act like Thomas' failure in '09 was way better than Tuukka's strictly due to which games they were in is ludicrous.

Sections
Shortcuts