Rating Horton and Seguin thus far

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Rating Horton and Seguin thus far

After an explosive start Horton has cooled off. He is trying out on the ice but similiar to michael ryder is always hunting for the right shot to shoot at the net. There is little finesse in the way he scores goals (like Satan). He is also smaller or weaker than i thought and has been bullied out of the puck several times. Expected alot more from him (close to 40 goals this year) but looks like if we are lucky we will get 25-30 goals. Wideman trade looks about even for now

Seguin is really struggling vs other 1st year rookies. Unlike guys like Skinner and Hall who are "getting it", Seguin looks as lost as he was in game 1. At this pace i'm not sure if he will even score 30 points. 

Horton = 6/10
    Seguin = 4/10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Rating Horton and Seguin thus far

Seguin is getting less ice time than those other guys.

As far as "getting it", IMO Seguin is one of the best in the league at the SO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Horton seems to create his own chances most of the time. Krejci is doing nothing for him. Of course Clod would never change the lines. Krejci seems to play when he feels like it. He is overrated at this point but that won't last long. I would seriously think about dealing him while the rest of the league thinks he is something special. As far as I can tell Lucic, Bergeron, Wheeler and Marchand are really working every nite. Horton is ok, too. I can't evaulate Seguin until we have a real coach. Clod kills young guys' energy...see Kessel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

More ice time and on a fixed line would help seguin. horton will get 30 goals plus

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

Best at the shootout is all good and dandy if they were in a shootout every night but the fact of the matter is they are not. And i agree more ice time is needed.  Sure you have to earn it but, it gets to the point where it becomes more frustrating to him as the season goes on.  I think they need to go about a different path in developing him but just my opinion

and horton bum killing my fantasy team lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

In Response to Re: Rating Horton and Seguin thus far:
    More ice time and on a fixed line would help seguin. horton will get 30 goals plus
    Posted by wallydouglas

Agree with this statement.  Seguin gets an incomplete from me until the forty game mark, but as far as I"m concerned put him with Bergy and Recchi and let them play. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Last nite, in Claude's 3rd period epiphany only Bergeron and Seguin responded. This suggests that Putting Seguin with Bergie could help, BUT, make sure they replace Recchi with Caron. OLD REX has been horrible. Horton has shown his skills in a few games, BUT, he has tuned Claude out and has not bought into the 2 plus 1 offense. IMO, he's right, so change the system Claude.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

People compare Seguin to Stamkos all the time but I compare him more to Matt Duchene.  It's awfully hard to see Duchene's success last year on a team so young (but clearly well coached), his continued growth this year and realize that Seguin at this point is having a hard enough time just getting experience.  Until he was moved to a line with Bergy and Recchi in the 3rd I don't think he had one shot on net.  It seems like Savard refuses to feed the kid.  I played on a team like that in high school where four of us made the varsity squad as freshmen.  One of us was really solid scorer and a senior would refuse to look his way.  It just seems to be the same thing to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Making Tyler responsible defensively is fine and dandy. At some point, the coach must give him the opportunity to thrive and allow him to use his immense talent.

What separates Tyler from Taylor and Skinner is his ability to involve others in the play and make others perform better, they must pay attention when he is on the ice because he will see you and give you the puck. And he doesn't stop there, he'll get into a positions where you must give him back the puck. It's called dynamism, synergy and involvement. Exactly what has been missing for the past month. Is it any coincidence that this situation has coincided with a reduction in Tyler's ice time?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Rating Horton and Seguin thus far:
    After an explosive start Horton has cooled off. He is trying out on the ice but similiar to michael ryder is always hunting for the right shot to shoot at the net. There is little finesse in the way he scores goals (like Satan). He is also smaller or weaker than i thought and has been bullied out of the puck several times. Expected alot more from him (close to 40 goals this year) but looks like if we are lucky we will get 25-30 goals. Wideman trade looks about even for now Seguin is really struggling vs other 1st year rookies. Unlike guys like Skinner and Hall who are "getting it", Seguin looks as lost as he was in game 1. At this pace i'm not sure if he will even score 30 points.  Horton = 6/10 Seguin = 4/10
    Posted by yaz16

Seguin is not lost.  Hall is allowed to play his game.  When Seguin is allowed to play his game he will be fine.  The sooner they fire CJ the sooner that will happen.  He does need to be a little harder on the puck and the body when he is battling along the boards (that will come as he matures physically) but when the puck is on his stick he is already one of the most dangerous Bruins.  His speed, hard shot and his ability to find the open man are evident even though he has played limited minutes and mostly with slugs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImbDauwg. Show ImbDauwg's posts

Wheatskins, EXACTLY. The big fat 800 lb Gorilla in the room.

Tukkainnet, Did that talented freshman scorer have a go with the B's? Anyway, I have gotten the same impression. There is a protectionist, immature streak in the veterans on this team. The way you counter that is you completely ignore their crying, and in fact go in the opposite direction if you have to, just to prove a point, and do whatever you need to to win games. When the wins start, or even when those followers realize that no one is waiting for them, they will either come around and play harder, or they will be shipped out and no one will miss them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Last nite, in Claude's 3rd period epiphany only Bergeron and Seguin responded. This suggests that Putting Seguin with Bergie could help, BUT, make sure they replace Recchi with Caron. OLD REX has been horrible. Horton has shown his skills in a few games, BUT, he has tuned Claude out and has not bought into the 2 plus 1 offense. IMO, he's right, so change the system Claude.
    Posted by bogie6

I'd like to see Bergeron with seguin and Lucic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

We need another top 4 forward. That's the sole problem. One guy will make it impossible for opposition coaches and d-pairings to focus on one or two lines and will be the difference between no offense for us and a legitimate shot at a Stanley Cup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveeB. Show SteveeB's posts

I agree, put Seguin with Bergy/Rex, let him play. With these two, he will thrive. DO NOT KEEP PLAYING HIM WITH RYDER!!! RYDER is a puck hog, and will not pass the puck, unless he is about to get buried. HE STINKS!!! Should have been gone last year!! BUT, he is Claude's golden boy, who can do no wrong! So boring watching this team, game after game, just playing dump & chase hockey! The teams today, that succeed, are teams that can attack, with speed, scoring goals!! NOT DEFENSIVE TEAMS! This team is boring, and should not be!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Has anybody mentioned that Tyler Seguin needs to play more?

Good. Because until that happens, this team's going nooooooooooowhere.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

what do you expect from a team that does nothing but dump and chase.....guys like Seguin dont get a chance to use their speed and open ice ability when everything is clogged up.
    Horton cant get a shot off because they all know Krejci is looking pass first so they drop back and put a body on Horton at all times. 
    As long as Claude has them dump and chase, it will be the same old boring Bruins....Fire Claude and get someone with a little fire inside....Where is Pat Burns when you need him?  RIP Burnsy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

what do you expect from a team that does nothing but dump and chase.....guys like Seguin dont get a chance to use their speed and open ice ability when everything is clogged up. Horton cant get a shot off because they all know Krejci is looking pass first so they drop back and put a body on Horton at all times.  As long as Claude has them dump and chase, it will be the same old boring Bruins....Fire Claude and get someone with a little fire inside....Where is Pat Burns when you need him?  RIP Burnsy
    Posted by slicksteve38

Pretty sure dump and chase has made Canada won of the most successful hockey countries out there. Dump and chase is not the problem -- lack of execution of the dump and chase style is whats killing this team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

dump and chase also works better with speed like Tyler's got. in fact he showed it again last night. 

it's really bizarre. the more good things he does, the more hesitant the coach is to use him. that's either a personality conflict, in which case claude needs to go, or it's terrible, terrible coaching, in which case, claude needs to go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's funny. Don't dump and chase or teams will clog up the middle?  The whole point of the dump and chase is to keep teams from lining up at the blueline to force turnovers.

Both players had promising starts.  Both are now in the malaise that has descended.  Neither is capable of being the guy who drags everyone up from the muck.  They are perfect examples of why Kessel was not the solution to last year's malaise. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Horton is on pace to eclipse his previous production statistics. I bet that if Stamkos was a Bruin during the "slump" in which he took several games to move from his 21st of the season to his 22nd, a lot of "fans" on this board would have been hollering for a trade, coaching move, or line change.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Horton 6.6/10

Seguin 5.5/10 would have a better rating if he would play more ...

Stanley cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Horton needs to hit the net, he is getting several shots, but putting them wide..man LOL!  Yeah I know that was bad, but appropriate.  Seguin needs time, and a line shakeup.  I would move Wheeler to that line and Ryder up with Bergeron. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Horton needs to hit the net, he is getting several shots, but putting them wide..man LOL!  Yeah I know that was bad, but appropriate.  Seguin needs time, and a line shakeup.  I would move Wheeler to that line and Ryder up with Bergeron. 
    Posted by fordprefect

He is hitting wide alot because he is trying to pick corners just like Ryder. What about those goals through the legs? Its like a lost art these days

Horton with Savard and Wheeler maybe a better experiment to try. Ryder has got fed so many times by Savard already, does not pass to Seguin, and has not scored.

Try Seguin out on the third line with Bergeron and Recchi and lets see also what happens

Honestly its time to dump Ryder to the 4th line at this point. You give him hope that he is a top 6 forward and plays like shyt. 3rd or 4th line he tries hard.

New lineup

Lucic Krecji Caron (i wish)
    Horton Savard Wheeler
    Recchi Bergeron Seguin
    Ryder Campbell Ryder

Waive Paille. When Marchand comesback , waive/trade Ryder

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

That IS funny, I know what dump and chase is.  I know that it is supposed to work against the trap....Problem is, they dump in...and sorta kinda chase sometimes if it means not making contact with another player.  If you are going to dump it in, you need to be committed to it, not half backside.  The only person who has any passion on this squad right now is Thomas and maybe Thornton.....the rest dont play like their jobs depend on it...and again I blame Claude for their lack of urgency.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Tyler Seguin:

You can certainly see the potential in the kid. He shows flashes of that talent at times. I really believe he will be an outstanding player in this league.

But right now I see a player who needs to get stronger & a player who seems to be scared of making mistakes. Certainly not uncommon for such young players.

I also feel that initially most felt that going to a team like Boston who are contender would be a positive for Seguin as he would have less pressure. However, I am really starting to believe it has put him at a disadvantage. Guys like Hall, Skinner play on teams where expectations are much lower. They can go out & play to there strenghts & learn from there mistakes without having to worry about being sent to the pressbox.

Seguin is on a team that many believe were a contender in the East. He plays for a coach who stresses defence & obviously is open to making Seguin accountable for his mistakes. That is why it certainly appears to me that Seguin is playing scared rather then playing to his strenghts. I understand what CJ is trying to do & that the Bs are not a rebuilding team but feel CJ has to take some responsibility for this as well. He has to somehow put this kid in a situation to succeed & make him more comfortable because Seguin is a possible candidate to help the poor offence solution this season on talent alone. I really believe having him play with Krejci for a bit could get the best out of him.

Nathan Horton:

After a hot start I am certainly disapointed with Horton. The guy  has talent but it is increasingly evident on why Florida became so frustrated with him. He just seems to go through the motions on most nights & that has always been the knock on him. Tremendous shot but you always feel he could give more. His stats are fine on a defensive team but I just feel he could be more noticable even when he is not scoring. I also see a player who is not a great puck carrier. I am not saying the guy does not have talent but I would like to see much more intensity/desperation in his game. Sometimes it is there but it has certainly been less lately. Horton is not the only Bruin guilty of that but I kind of expected a player with his talent & at his age finally maturing in that aspect after his 1st trade & coming to a hockey market. It may still happen.

Sections
Shortcuts