Ray Bourque has still got it!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Ray Bourque has still got it!!

I was at the Bruins Alumni game here in St.Catharines Ontario last night to see them take on the local law enforcement hockey team. Ray Bourque was part of it & actually looked pretty good. Terry O'Reilly, Rick Middleton, Ken Linsmen among others also took part in the event. It was a good time & a good show for a good cause.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!!

Good for you jp !   Awesome experience for you...glad you got to see the old boys. A memory maker for ever...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

by "it" do you mean 30 extra pounds? sounds pretty cool jp, you're lucky to have been able to catch that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Bourque I'm sure can still skate, he always had great wheels. But it looks like he swallowed a small calf recently. What's with the huge weight gain? He needs a Total Gym and a few Chuck Norris personal training seesions! I never liked him since I met him once and he snubbed me like "I'm too important to say hi back", so I guess I'm biased and maybe in the minority. Conversely, Glenn Murray, the Taz, the Kenny "Rat" Linseman, Bob Beers, Tom Fergus, Richie Leduc, John Bucyk, Josef Stumpel, and Kenny Hodge were all great to meet. Guess Bourque thinks he's too good for that. Plus he's a traitor in my book.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

How you can not like Ray Bourque is beyond me, the guy was amazing and the best player we had since Bobby Orr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Sorry Krayzy, I don't like traitors but I know I'm in the minority here RE Bourque.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!!:
    [QUOTE]Bourque I'm sure can still skate, he always had great wheels. But it looks like he swallowed a small calf recently. What's with the huge weight gain? He needs a Total Gym and a few Chuck Norris personal training seesions! I never liked him since I met him once and he snubbed me like "I'm too important to say hi back", so I guess I'm biased and maybe in the minority. Conversely, Glenn Murray, the Taz, the Kenny "Rat" Linseman, Bob Beers, Tom Fergus, Richie Leduc, John Bucyk, Josef Stumpel, and Kenny Hodge were all great to meet. Guess Bourque thinks he's too good for that. Plus he's a traitor in my book.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]
    I don't know if you caught Ray on a bad day or something but he was signing all kinds of autograghs last night when i seen him & seemed to be enjoying it. You are right about the weight gain though, he looked a little heavier than what we are used to seeing. I think Ray is a class act & would never consider him a traitor. He did what he had to do to win the cup that eluded him for 21 years in Boston. Afterall, on his day with the cup, he did bring it to Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Owning a restaurant is a bad idea for retired pro athletes.  Not only has the pressure to work out disappeared, now you've got gourmet chefs at your beck and call.  I'm surprised he doesn't look like John Candy by now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry Krayzy, I don't like traitors but I know I'm in the minority here RE Bourque.

He was not a traitor. The Bruins were atrocious and going nowhere. Why would he want to stay and be basically the only good player on a team?

You want us to pick up Selanne or Iginla for our team. Does that not then make them traitors if they move too? So is Orr a traitor? Or maybe Neely since we picked him off of Vancouver. Oh wait I bet Chara's a traitor, he was on the Senators. Oh and so is Recchi. We traded for him so he's a traitor. Oh and Gretzky was a traitor for leaving Edmonton.

You're arguments are asinine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry Krayzy, I don't like traitors but I know I'm in the minority here RE Bourque.
    you and i are in the minority. i don't consider him a traitor per se. but i certainly was not happy he abandoned his teammates in boston. it meant nothing to me that he hoisted the cup. it was not in a spoked B. then to bring the cup back to boston, was a slap in the face to all bruin fans. "sorry i couldn't get the job done for YOU guys, but look, this is what the cup looks like." i am a dolphin fan, and have a ton of respect for dan marino, for not doing just that. if he was playing for the crest on his jersey, and those who supported him for 20 years, making him rich along the way.... he would not have left boston. my memories of #77 are in black and gold only. he is one of the all-time great bruins(he bled black and gold), then he made it about himself. i equate his decision to leave boston with this....if you can't beat 'em join 'em. to me that's weak

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : you and i are in the minority. i don't consider him a traitor per se. but i certainly was not happy he abandoned his teammates in boston. it meant nothing to me that he hoisted the cup. it was not in a spoked B. then to bring the cup back to boston, was a slap in the face to all bruin fans. "sorry i couldn't get the job done for YOU guys, but look, this is what the cup looks like." i am a dolphin fan, and have a ton of respect for dan marino, for not doing just that. if he was playing for the crest on his jersey, and those who supported him for 20 years, making him rich along the way.... he would not have left boston. my memories of #77 are in black and gold only. he is one of the all-time great bruins(he bled black and gold), then he made it about himself. i equate his decision to leave boston with this....if you can't beat 'em join 'em. to me that's weak
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

So that you could feel better abut him, he should have resigned himself to being like Hawerchuk and Oates and live the rest of his life with the regret that he never won the Cup? So that fans could have the gratification that he stayed here even when the team was brutal and his career was basically over? That seems unbelievably selfish.

I've met the man a number of times - he was always a gentleman and took time to chat with me and sign autographs, so I think that  OrrEspoCash    likely just caught him on a bad day, and that has left him bitter. Kind of sad when you think about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the captain of a ship is supposed to go down with the ship(or be the last one to jump ship). he was the captain of the bruins. the only guy on your list that compares is iginla. those other guys all won cups with their teams BEFORE moving. they didn't jump ship after 20 years in the same organization. as far as iginla is concerned, YES we want him, he'll help THE BRUINS win another cup. i bet there would be mixed emotions in calgary if he comes to boston and wins a cup FOR THE BRUINS. am i supposed to believe it will be gratifying for calgary fans if iginla wins a cup with the bruins? someone should start a poll in calgary, and see what their fan base thinks. THAT would be interesting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

On some level, I share the unpopular opinion of adk and others.  Traitor is too strong a word for me and Ray Bourque is still one of my most admired players for what he did in Boston.  I'll never forget the 20 years he spent here.

But when he jumped ship to Colorado it symbolized the growing entitlement in athletes that they should all get to win a championship, on top of all the other great things they get a pro players.  I just don't like the notion that it's okay for the captain of a team to bail on that team while they are still in playoff contention.  That's what happened.  Good for Ray Bourque, bad for the Bruins.  Don't bother lambasting me about what a soldier Bourque was and how he deserved more -- I know and I've heard it a million times.  I still would have appreciated him more if he said being the captain of the Bruins was more important than joining a pre-salary cap fantasy team to put the final notch on the bedpost.  Team first.  The Bruins were left without their leader, in stormy waters, and ended up missing the playoffs.  

Bourque should have left after the season.  He didn't win until the next year anyhow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

hundreds and hundreds of great players never won a cup. it doesn't diminish the accomplishments they had while playing, if they never get a chance to skate with the cup.  THE CUP, was more important to ray than the organization and fans and city that supported him for such a long time. now who's selfish? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]the captain of a ship is supposed to go down with the ship(or be the last one to jump ship). he was the captain of the bruins. the only guy on your list that compares is iginla. those other guys all won cups with their teams BEFORE moving. they didn't jump ship after 20 years in the same organization. as far as iginla is concerned, YES we want him, he'll help THE BRUINS win another cup. i bet there would be mixed emotions in calgary if he comes to boston and wins a cup FOR THE BRUINS. am i supposed to believe it will be gratifying for calgary fans if iginla wins a cup with the bruins? someone should start a poll in calgary, and see what their fan base thinks. THAT would be interesting.  

I think he'd get the same reception and acknowledgment that Lanny Mcdonald got.

And was Gretzky not the premier player and captain of the Oilers? Maybe I'm mistaken. No one saw him as a traitor, he was sad to leave. So was Bourque, but he wanted his name on the cup. I don't blame him. He's a competitor and he wants to be the best and be recognized as one of the best and he did it. The Bruins weren't going to be winning the cup and he was given the chance and he did it. Good for him. Thanks for the 20 years Ray, your last season doesn't tarnish your tradition of excellence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]hundreds and hundreds of great players never won a cup. it doesn't diminish the accomplishments they had while playing, if they never get a chance to skate with the cup.  THE CUP, was more important to ray than the organization and fans and city that supported him for such a long time. now who's selfish? 

With the exception of about a 14 month period, the guy has lived in Boston for 33 years, including for the decade since his retirement. Are you honestly trying to argue that Ray Bourque doesn't care about Boston and his fans? Yes, the Cup was important - maybe there are tonnes of greats who never won the cup (I think I named the two greatest to have that dubious distinction in my above post) but don't think for a second they wouldn't trade their soul  to have their name engraved on that mug. It wasn't going to happen here, he put in 21 years of service and got us to the finals twice, all while shattering just about every single defensive and Bruins record while he was at it. He got his Cup and then what happened? He moved back home - not Montreal, but Boston. We may have to agree to disagree, but I don't think he disrespected the team, the fans, or the city in the slightest in his decision.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : I think he'd get the same reception and acknowledgment that Lanny Mcdonald got. And was Gretzky not the premier player and captain of the Oilers? Maybe I'm mistaken. No one saw him as a traitor, he was sad to leave. So was Bourque, but he wanted his name on the cup. I don't blame him. He's a competitor and he wants to be the best and be recognized as one of the best and he did it. The Bruins weren't going to be winning the cup and he was given the chance and he did it. Good for him. Thanks for the 20 years Ray, your last season doesn't tarnish your tradition of excellence.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    it's alot easier to say goodbye after 4 victory parades. bourke went from being the comsumate professional and team player, to being a guy who just had to have his name on the cup. so he joined an all-star team to do it. woopdi doo. to be completly honest him bringing the cup to boston and parading it around the city rubbed me worse than the actual winning of the cup. it was a pity parade. i can't believe people attended that farse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Was Chris Nilan there also ? 
    He was hanging with the Rat this week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : it's alot easier to say goodbye after 4 victory parades. bourke went from being the comsumate professional and team player, to being a guy who just had to have his name on the cup. so he joined an all-star team to do it. woopdi doo. to be completly honest him bringing the cup to boston and parading it around the city rubbed me worse than the actual winning of the cup. it was a pity parade. i can't believe people attended that farse.

So is Oates a traitor then? He couldn't get it done here, but was able to lead the Caps and the Ducks to the final. Or would he only have been a traitor if he won? And it's also a testement to Bourque and how the franchise and his teammates thought about him, that as soon as Oates left he changed his number to 77 as a tribute to Bourque.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

"look boston this is what the cup looks like, sorry i couldn't win for you guys. aren't you all sooooo happy for ME, I FINALLY DID IT!!" save it ray- we all saw you skate with the cup on tv, no need to bring it back to the city that's been 20+ years without one. what was he thinking? i'm serious, the parade in boston had me scratching my head saying... "who does he think he is?" 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

He'd love to be holding the cup now, stuffed to its brim with tasycakes

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE] (I think I named the two greatest to have that dubious distinction in my above post) but don't think for a second they wouldn't trade their soul  to have their name engraved on that mug. Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

You missed Dionne and Perreault.  And I'd have put Lafontaine on the list with his two contemporaries, because he was as good when he wasn't concussed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]"look boston this is what the cup looks like, sorry i couldn't win for you guys. aren't you all sooooo happy for ME, I FINALLY DID IT!!" save it ray- we all saw you skate with the cup on tv, no need to bring it back to the city that's been 20+ years without one. what was he thinking? i'm serious, the parade in boston had me scratching my head saying... "who does he think he is?" 

Every player takes the Cup home with them for a day , so my guess is he was thinking "Boston is my home." Likely why he hasn't left since that parade.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Book, I'd agree with you on all three counts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

oh i forgot adam oates was the bruins captain for 20 years also right?  i'm sure bourke putting in all those years of toil and sweat with his avalanche teammates makes that cup win soooo much sweeter. oh yeah, he just wanted HIS name on the cup, no matter what, so he joined an all-star team. he didn't earn that cup, but who cares right? as long as ray gets HIS name on the cup.  

Sections
Shortcuts